Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Started the update to Big Sur last night and went to bed. This morning it was up and running and I clicked the usual "See what's new with Big Sur" demo and unfortunately it beachballed my 2015 MBP, so I restarted it. All went well after that but now I don't have the starting demo. I know it's inconsequential, but how can I bring that up again? I actually like to see those.

Otherwise, it's not bad. I like the control center very much; it's nice to clear a lot of things off the menu bar but still have quick access to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

MintFresh posted:

Feels good to be back on Safari due to the significantly better battery life when browsing.

There's no good yootoob ad blocker on Safari is there?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
1blocker works 99% of the time.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Jesus Christ installing the drivers for a Wacom Pen tablet under Catalina is utter absurdity.

It's a total farce.

"Install the software then restart, then authorise it in Accesibility, then log out, then log in, uncheck It and log out, then log in, and select it again, and it should work"

"Also, if you don't do this in the first 30mins of downloading the software, you need to start again"

I'm for privacy and security, but this is insane.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

it got fixed for me by going to the mac app store and trying to get it through there

Ya. That’s how I am doing it too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This is quite neat, I’m doing the update and to log in to the system to complete the install I used Jump Desktop on my phone (remote desktop software, it’s great!) because I’m lazy, and the screen put up a notice saying ‘this screen is being observed’.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeast posted:

Jesus Christ installing the drivers for a Wacom Pen tablet under Catalina is utter absurdity.

It's a total farce.

"Install the software then restart, then authorise it in Accesibility, then log out, then log in, uncheck It and log out, then log in, and select it again, and it should work"

"Also, if you don't do this in the first 30mins of downloading the software, you need to start again"

I'm for privacy and security, but this is insane.

What the living gently caress. Welp I guess I should have waited to see what Cintiq compatibility was like before I upgraded. Luckily I mostly use my iPad for Clip Studio nowadays but still, that is some bullshit.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, that 30 minute window kicked my rear end when I was trying to get vagrant and virtual box working after upgrading. I threw my hands up and decided to come back to it later.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

My Outlook Attachments folder is taking up close to 1/5th of all the used space on my hard drive (2020 MBP). Apparently, once upon a time a user could compress a directory in Apple HFS+ file systems to reduce its storage footprint, but the 2020 model with AFS doesn’t support ‘real time compression’ - incidentally something my old NTFS Surface Pro seemed to do all the time (because it would proactively compress folders).

I’m in no way a Mac power user. I understand that HFS+ compression is applied using a terminal command. But from what I’ve read, it can’t be done in AFS? That, or the compressed directory will behave differently or not be as accessible to the applications that use it (Outlook, in this case)?

If there’s not a way to compress the directory while keeping it usable, do I have any other options? It seems like Outlook will probably just re-download my work email account’s entire lifetime of attachments if I just delete them off of my hard drive.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 16, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SMERSH Mouth posted:

My Outlook Attachments folder is taking up close to 1/5th of all the used space on my hard drive (2020 MBP). Apparently, once upon a time a user could compress a directory in Apple HFS+ file systems to reduce its storage footprint, but the 2020 model with AFS doesn’t support ‘real time compression’ - incidentally something my old NTFS Surface Pro seemed to do all the time (because it would proactively compress folders).

I’m in no way a Mac power user. I understand that HFS+ compression is applied using a terminal command. But from what I’ve read, it can’t be done in AFS? That, or the compressed directory will behave differently or not be as accessible to the applications that use it (Outlook, in this case)?

If there’s not a way to compress the directory while keeping it usable, do I have any other options? It seems like Outlook will probably just re-download my work email account’s entire lifetime of attachments if I just delete them off of my hard drive.

This might work:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/360218/37176

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Started the update to Big Sur last night and went to bed. This morning it was up and running and I clicked the usual "See what's new with Big Sur" demo and unfortunately it beachballed my 2015 MBP, so I restarted it. All went well after that but now I don't have the starting demo. I know it's inconsequential, but how can I bring that up again? I actually like to see those.

Otherwise, it's not bad. I like the control center very much; it's nice to clear a lot of things off the menu bar but still have quick access to them.

I had that popup on my screen and when I clicked it it was a web link that took me here - https://help.apple.com/macos/big-sur/whats-new/?lang=en&cases=kIFAGHvXTAepRptQXiXe5w,N0bfKOvERSiAp06mHOcgOQ#design

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Why, Apple? Why do I still have to go to Terminal to do any kind of file operation involving lots of files to avoid you sitting there and spinning around like an idiot before you get the work done at a snail's pace?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Not in a hurry to update, but won't update until they fix the network issues anyway.

https://twitter.com/patrickwardle/status/1318437929497235457

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Apple's issued a response over the OCSP issue:

Apple posted:

Privacy protections
macOS has been designed to keep users and their data safe while respecting their privacy.

Gatekeeper performs online checks to verify if an app contains known malware and whether the developer’s signing certificate is revoked. We have never combined data from these checks with information about Apple users or their devices. We do not use data from these checks to learn what individual users are launching or running on their devices.

Notarization checks if the app contains known malware using an encrypted connection that is resilient to server failures.

These security checks have never included the user’s Apple ID or the identity of their device. To further protect privacy, we have stopped logging IP addresses associated with Developer ID certificate checks, and we will ensure that any collected IP addresses are removed from logs.

In addition, over the the next year we will introduce several changes to our security checks:

A new encrypted protocol for Developer ID certificate revocation checks
Strong protections against server failure
A new preference for users to opt out of these security protections
really wondering how 'unencrypted messages telling apple what app you're launching' got past their privacy review

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

I had that popup on my screen and when I clicked it it was a web link that took me here - https://help.apple.com/macos/big-sur/whats-new/?lang=en&cases=kIFAGHvXTAepRptQXiXe5w,N0bfKOvERSiAp06mHOcgOQ#design

Ahh ok, thanks. I thought it would be an in-machine demo.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Apple's issued a response over the OCSP issue:
really wondering how 'unencrypted messages telling apple what app you're launching' got past their privacy review

Some suggested reading:

https://www.security-embedded.com/blog/2020/11/14/application-trust-is-hard-but-apple-does-it-well

https://blog.jacopo.io/en/post/apple-ocsp/

OCSP is a standard (with flaws) that's used not just by Apple. It's not "unencrypted messages telling apple what app you're launching," it's a developer, not even application, cert that it's requesting a verification. Anyone (including web browsers) that implement OCSP have similar flaws and downsides. That said, Apple should do better and calling them out (though I would have done it differently) was the right move.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 16, 2020

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
whats a good ad blocker for safari. i usually use ublock and i truly love blocking random site elements on sites i dont like.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kefkafloyd posted:

OCSP is a standard (with flaws) that's used not just by Apple. It's not "unencrypted messages telling apple what app you're launching," it's a developer, not even application, cert that it's requesting a verification. Anyone (including web browsers) that implement OCSP have similar flaws and downsides.

That OCSP works for web browsers doesn’t mean it’s a good choice here. For one element, OCSP relies on stapling for privacy and scalability, and Apple doesn’t staple responses (nor could they really given their architecture).

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Subjunctive posted:

That OCSP works for web browsers doesn’t mean it’s a good choice here. For one element, OCSP relies on stapling for privacy and scalability, and Apple doesn’t staple responses (nor could they really given their architecture).

They staple responses for notarization (though it is optional, IIRC), I don't see a technical reason why they couldn't do it for OCSP for dev certs versus HTTPS requests which are far more numerous and wide-ranging.

Regardless, they're going to be improving it, so we'll have to see exactly what they do.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Bob Morales posted:

Not in a hurry to update, but won't update until they fix the network issues anyway.

https://twitter.com/patrickwardle/status/1318437929497235457

I think you're going to have a bad time staying with macOS devices long term if you think they're changing that behavior. All you need to know I'm right is to see how badly an iOS device pukes when hooked up to a bog-standard pihole over wireguard.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is it safe to update to Big Sur or should I wait

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is it safe to update to Big Sur or should I wait

It's safe but you should probably wait until a .1 release if you don't want to deal with as many bugs.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's safe but you should probably wait until a .1 release if you don't want to deal with as many bugs.

This was the .1 release lol

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

FCKGW posted:

This was the .1 release lol

.2 then:v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jesus christ Apple

Remember that iCloud Mail bug / behavior I mentioned? Where clicking on a message immediately gives you a "CANNOT RETRIEVE THIS MESSAGE" popup dialog? And keeps doing it for like the first five or six times you hit-Enter-to-dismiss-the-dialog-press-down-to-select-an-already-loaded-message-press-up-to-try-the-broken-message-again-CANNOT-RETRIEVE-THIS-MESSAGE etc?

Well now in the new version of Safari, hitting Enter does not just dismiss the dialog, it also pops up a (blank) viewer window for the selected, errored email.

So then I have to close THAT window, adding yet ANOTHER step to my stupid hamster keyboard dance

Just to i don't know, GET EMAIL

a function that had been working fine since 1992

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Nifty little program you oughta get called Uni Detector:

Macintouch posted:

Uni Detector is a Mac utility app from Takaaki Naganoya (Piyomaru Software) that checks the compatibility of applications on your startup drive vs. various Mac architectures: Apple Silicon, Intel (32- or 64-bit), PowerPC (32- or 64-bit), or unknown. Additional information includes version, minimum macOS requirement, “year”, AppleScript support, launch count, bundle ID, directory path, and more. There’s a search box for selecting applications, as well as menu options for filtering by various criteria.

This little app told me I have eight apps with Apple Silicon code already embedded.. on my Mojave machine no less.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/uni-detector/id1531249804?mt=12

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

CAROL posted:

whats a good ad blocker for safari. i usually use ublock and i truly love blocking random site elements on sites i dont like.
AdGuard works great for me, I just pasted my custom uBlock filter lists in the ‘advanced confit’ section and carried on as if nothing had changed.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I’ll report that after updating a new (Intel, 13”) MBP to BS, I immediately began to have a hosed-up graphical glitch when powering down during a restart. When it happens, the screen becomes fully occupied by what looks like a freeze-frame of old TV tuner static, or (once) like static, but with purple instead of white. Lasts for 5-6 seconds. Shutdowns didn’t seem to be affected; only during Restarts. Couldn’t get it to happen in Safe Boot mode, and resetting NVRAM seems to have stopped it altogether for now, although it’s been replaced by a split-second flash of something.

I have no idea what this all would mean, and now I can’t show the glitch to anyone who might know because it’s gone. So I’ll just assume it means ‘nothing’ - i.e., not the premature death of my new MacBook.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Data Graham posted:

a function that had been working fine since 1992

if it helps, which it probably won't, email was bullshit in 1992 as well

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
What do you use to edit a video on a Macintosh laptop computer (MBP)? Something easy, I just want to chop out a little in the beginning and end.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've used iMovie for really basic stuff like that. I think there's a free Youtube video editor as well.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Cheese Thief posted:

What do you use to edit a video on a Macintosh laptop computer (MBP)? Something easy, I just want to chop out a little in the beginning and end.

You could use quicktime, although it's a bit more fiddly now than in quicktime 7. If you just want to trim the edges like that you'd probably have to split the video at the desired start and end points and then delete the excess "clips," rather than just select a bit and hit delete.

Obviously, this requires your video to be something quicktime can open.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Cheese Thief posted:

For just cutting it down? ffmpeg.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Kreeblah posted:

For just cutting it down? ffmpeg.

Yea.. that's the responsible choice (responsible as in not being a noob) Got to read the man page which is a pain in the rear end given all the rest of the poo poo I have to figure out and know. Anyway thanks for all the suggestions.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Anyone else using a MX Master 2S with Big Sur and can't use their buttons outside of the main ones?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

Anyone else using a MX Master 2S with Big Sur and can't use their buttons outside of the main ones?

I'm still on Catalina for the foreseeable future. I have an MX Anywhere S2, but I imagine it behaves similarly.

Do you have Logi Options installed? I know with mine, just using it as a vanilla BT mouse only gave me basic button and scroll wheel functions. Logi Options fixed all that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm still on Catalina for the foreseeable future. I have an MX Anywhere S2, but I imagine it behaves similarly.

Do you have Logi Options installed? I know with mine, just using it as a vanilla BT mouse only gave me basic button and scroll wheel functions. Logi Options fixed all that.

Yeah, I have Options installed but it looks like its not up to speed on Big Sur, this stinks!

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I updated a 2017 MBP 15" to Big Sur and everything is fine except my ability to control the volume of my external monitor with my keyboard.

Sound Control doesn't work (...yet?).
Boom3D doesn't work.
Background Music doesn't work.
Monitor Control works great except that it randomly turns off the monitor now and again.

I'm so close yet so far. :(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Anything that lists everything with M1 support or will have M1 support soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Anything that lists everything with M1 support or will have M1 support soon?

MacRumors has a wiki thread that seems pretty well updated, that have the WoW announcement from yesterday
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/universal-and-native-apple-silicon-apps.2267176/