Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

etalian posted:

I bet anyone who bought a 2080 Super or Ti over the summer is feeling really bitter right now.

Why? They've gotten substantial use from them by the time those launch and they knew they'd been out for years when they bought in.

Time marches on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Zarin posted:

. . . makes me wonder if I'm not nearly as bad at video games as I think I am, and was just getting stomped by people running these optimizations.

I've got bad news for you :v:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Got the 3090 evga on without a clean install. It's working just fine.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
The most bitter people are probably the idiots who immediately dumped their 2080Tis on eBay for cheap after Jensen's presentation.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Clean installs is mostly a hangover of things like “hold the power button to drain residual power”, only time it’s probably worth doing is when going between AMD and nvidia or from an ancient GPU.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

repiv posted:

I believe each r_picmip level halves the texture resolution so 10 is already enough to reduce up to 256x256 textures to 1x1, so just their average colour

Going further than that won't make any difference

As with every competitive config I've ever seen over my 20 years of gaming; if there isn't a competitive rule against a certain CVAR just whack it as low/high as is beneficial even beyond what the engine actually does, just in case.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Asked this earlier and didn't see a response so I figured I'd ask one more time.

Anyone else after installing a 3080 suddenly get 4 beeps on POST?

Apparently it's only an issue for 3080 FE cards but there have been zero issues otherwise and the card runs fine for me. It's such an odd and random quirk I figured I'd see if anyone else here ran into it.

Pardon the Reddit link, that's where I first found that it was a 3080 issue.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/j18rf7/mainboard_beeping_4_short_times_after_installing/

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Anyone who has a 2080ti should not be looking with envy at this gen. It's a nice boost but the 3070 is getting called the 1440p sweet spot & they're basically identical.

Easy to sit this one out, not that it isn't impressive, but the mid refresh or next series will be probably better and cheaper anyway.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

bus hustler posted:

Anyone who has a 2080ti should not be looking with envy at this gen. It's a nice boost but the 3070 is getting called the 1440p sweet spot & they're basically identical.

Easy to sit this one out, not that it isn't impressive, but the mid refresh or next series will be probably better and cheaper anyway.

They don't need to look at envy but if you paid for a 2080ti this autumn then you spent a lot of money you didn't need to.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

jisforjosh posted:

This is with r_picmip 10 so I can only imagine what the gently caress 32 would be (if the engine would even recognize the value as I think 10 was the lowest)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPbf6ToctVw
That's a great video, still looking for a modern game that's as fast as that or even quake 1 but nothing seem to come close so far.

Also I call that the 'painted wall' setting and personally I wouldn't mind playing modern multiplayer games with that sort of visual qualities either :v:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Alchenar posted:

They don't need to look at envy but if you paid for a 2080ti this autumn then you spent a lot of money you didn't need to.

Considering I dont expect to have new gpus until 2021 I think they are getting some good holiday enjoyment out of them.

Not like its safe to go travel right now.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

shrike82 posted:

DLSS apparently isn't great on Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War (god what a dumb name)

https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-dlss-2-0-ray-tracing-benchmarks/

ALT + F3 and just add the (adaptive) sharpen filter. Thank me later

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Encrypted posted:

That's a great video, still looking for a modern game that's as fast as that or even quake 1 but nothing seem to come close so far.

Also I call that the 'painted wall' setting and personally I wouldn't mind playing modern multiplayer games with that sort of visual qualities either :v:

Team Fortress 2 is pretty close to that, just uh, to bad it's *checks notes* a 13 year old game at this point and a complete disasterous mess once they started putting in tons of hats and zany weapons and lootcrates. I checked out nearly 9 years ago and haven't looked back but it would be nice to start over with a clean TF3 just getting down to the core gameplay again. Too bad Valve is a mess and doesn't do games

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

etalian posted:

I bet anyone who bought a 2080 Super or Ti over the summer is feeling really bitter right now.

German eBay Kleinanzeigen (local listings) offer 2080Ti and 2080 Supers bought in summer 2020, even in August.
Now they are desperately trying to sell them up to 600 for the 2080 Super and 850 (!) Euro for the Ti 🤣 Like under what rock did these people live?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Just got a call from Canada Computers to come and pick up an 3070 EVGA Black which I promptly did. Can't wait to find the time to actually install it.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011

Xaris posted:

Team Fortress 2 is pretty close to that, just uh, to bad it's *checks notes* a 13 year old game at this point and a complete disasterous mess once they started putting in tons of hats and zany weapons and lootcrates. I checked out nearly 9 years ago and haven't looked back but it would be nice to start over with a clean TF3 just getting down to the core gameplay again. Too bad Valve is a mess and doesn't do games

Yeah, I have fond memories of TF2 way back when I bougth the Orange Box. I booted it up not too long ago and noped out pretty fast.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

:same:

Xaris posted:

Yeah I remember playing tf2 back in the simpler times when they introduced an alt weapon or two for each class, but now there seems to be a bunch of counters and gimmicks that kinda strays away from pointing and clicking.

Perhaps we dont really need a powerful gpu after all??

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Asked this earlier and didn't see a response so I figured I'd ask one more time.

Anyone else after installing a 3080 suddenly get 4 beeps on POST?

Apparently it's only an issue for 3080 FE cards but there have been zero issues otherwise and the card runs fine for me. It's such an odd and random quirk I figured I'd see if anyone else here ran into it.

Pardon the Reddit link, that's where I first found that it was a 3080 issue.
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/j18rf7/mainboard_beeping_4_short_times_after_installing/

It sounds to me like a legacy BIOS compatibility problem on systems with CSM enabled. The CSM bitches that it can't find a compatible BIOS for the card, then the UEFI takes over after the CSM issues the four beeps of consternation.

Weird, either way.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Encrypted posted:

Diabotical is basically Quake with a modern coat of paint.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hasturtium posted:

It sounds to me like a legacy BIOS compatibility problem on systems with CSM enabled. The CSM bitches that it can't find a compatible BIOS for the card, then the UEFI takes over after the CSM issues the four beeps of consternation.

Weird, either way.

Huh, that is weird. Mystery solved, I guess. Thanks!

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Huh, that is weird. Mystery solved, I guess. Thanks!

Sure! Disabling CSM will probably fix the issue outright.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr.PayDay posted:

German eBay Kleinanzeigen (local listings) offer 2080Ti and 2080 Supers bought in summer 2020, even in August.
Now they are desperately trying to sell them up to 600 for the 2080 Super and 850 (!) Euro for the Ti 🤣 Like under what rock did these people live?

Ha ha reminds when you try to buy a used car and the owner claims things like extra wax / car washes / car detailing over the years means it should sell for more than the Kelly Blue book value.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Just got the Asus tuf oc 3080 in Friday, and I've consistently been getting black screen crashes after about 20 minutes of gameplay in watchdogs legion. The psu is brand new, 750 watts, and I'm using separate rails for each connection. Drivers are the latest. I'm thinking the next step is lowering the boost clock. Does that sound about right?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Just got the Asus tuf oc 3080 in Friday, and I've consistently been getting black screen crashes after about 20 minutes of gameplay in watchdogs legion. The psu is brand new, 750 watts, and I'm using separate rails for each connection. Drivers are the latest. I'm thinking the next step is lowering the boost clock. Does that sound about right?
Hows temperatures/fans?

Yeah try undervolting or lowering the clock. I had instability on games when the clock started to hit 2000s+ and/or not enough voltage. Setting a voltage curve dropping -200 Mhz initially and then fixing the flat-portion at 1950 mhz @ 940 mV has been rock solid with a lot better thermals/heat/power draw for me. I could undervolt it even more and probably will at some point:

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Hasturtium posted:

Sure! Disabling CSM will probably fix the issue outright.

Thank you! I also had this issue with my Zotac 3080. It was causing me a ton of confusion as everything seemed to be behaving just fine in Windows.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, just in case anyone is curious, and to the shock of absolutely no one, an i7-4790k will absolutely harshly bottleneck a 3090, so now I am back trying to snipe parts for a new AMD CPU. :smithicide:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Internet Explorer posted:

Well, just in case anyone is curious, and to the shock of absolutely no one, an i7-4790k will absolutely harshly bottleneck a 3090, so now I am back trying to snipe parts for a new AMD CPU. :smithicide:

I bought a 3700x recently and it was a noticeable upgrade. If you can grab a cheap 3600 as an interim chip it wouldn't be bad.

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

What's the best way to actually get a 3070? Just refresh Bestbuy, Newegg and Amazon forever?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wrar posted:

I bought a 3700x recently and it was a noticeable upgrade. If you can grab a cheap 3600 as an interim chip it wouldn't be bad.

Hmm... not a bad idea, but I have to do this x2 and ~$500 seems like a waste for that.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

Hows temperatures/fans?

Yeah try undervolting or lowering the clock. I had instability on games when the clock started to hit 2000s+ and/or not enough voltage. Setting a voltage curve dropping -200 Mhz initially and then fixing the flat-portion at 1950 mhz @ 940 mV has been rock solid with a lot better thermals/heat/power draw for me. I could undervolt it even more and probably will at some point:

I have an FE 3080 now and MSI Afterburner still won't let me adjust the core voltage? It lets me go into that curve editor but I'm not sure how to use that and it's super hard to manipulate the dots in it at this resolution. I just want to set the cap to 800mv like people have been doing for efficiency.

edit: Doesn't even show the voltage readout? Is that normal for FE + Afterburner?:

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 17, 2020

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Os Furoris posted:

What's the best way to actually get a 3070? Just refresh Bestbuy, Newegg and Amazon forever?

If there's a site that has a PayPal express checkout option, get that setup as much as possible ahead of time.

I wouldn't bother with doing much manually refreshing yourself. For notifications on drops, you can check out the "Tu Madre" discord that's floating about.

There's also browser extension of Distill.io that has a lot of great options for figuring out when specific page elements have changed. I've got it setup to refresh Amazon's main 3080 page of listing and just extract the text for the prices:

As we can see above, the only listings are for scalpers right now. So I've got a regular expression that gives me a positive hit only if there's a price in an acceptable range.

Despite all this, I've never had any luck with Amazon/NewEgg/Best Buy. Stuff is pretty much already gone as soon as you try to add to cart.

I personally was able to snag a Zotac 3080 from their site directly, using a paypal express checkout url that I found on this thread.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Os Furoris posted:

What I did that eventually worked:
Install Discord app on your phone. Get on as many stock drop discords as possible and sign up for notifications for any and all cards you are interested in. Download apps for the stores you want to buy from and set up accounts with as much info pre-entered as possible (payment, shipping, etc). Make sure you are logged into the apps (face authentication on apple, etc). If you have an iphone, set up apple pay (this is really really helpful) as it will allow you to basically instantly buy something on the Newegg app. Do a test run of apple pay as it may pull shipping info out of its own rear end and make you frantically enter it on the spot and miss your item (no I'm not bitter at all). If you don't mind a little bit of a hassle or paying a little extra, don't forget to add the combos! The combos are often up a bit longer than the cards by themselves and they are how I got both my 3080 and tonight a Zen3.

Oh also Newegg has a wishlist. Add the cards you want (and combos) so when you see a Newegg stock drop notification you don't dick around with the discords affiliation link or whatever but just open your app, refresh your wishlist, and slam the apple pay button.

e: ^^^^ yeah set up paypal too for sites that use it. Basically if you have to enter your CC or shipping info you are done for, at least until supply stabilizes.

e2: Discords I joined:

PC Build Helper: https://discord.gg/NShFKF8g
ATR-Stonks: https://discord.gg/UpaZHnYP
StockDrops: https://discord.gg/cE58jWRv

There may be others I don't know about, but these have been pretty good.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 17, 2020

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I have an FE 3080 now and MSI Afterburner still won't let me adjust the core voltage? It lets me go into that curve editor but I'm not sure how to use that and it's super hard to manipulate the dots in it at this resolution. I just want to set the cap to 800mv like people have been doing for efficiency.

edit: Doesn't even show the voltage readout? Is that normal for FE + Afterburner?:

I think I had the same issue you're describing? I couldn't get a reading of the current voltage initially on the right hand side.

I ended up following this guide and it worked after trying the last method:
https://steemit.com/gpu/@icryptomedianews/how-to-unlock-core-voltage-in-msi-afterburner

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Zotac paypal link seems to be dead

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Got my 3080 installed so now I can have the smoothest rocket league experience. :v: I was already capping 144hz on my 1070 but now it's buttery smooth. Fallen order still doesn't seem great but squadrons is capped and smooth. Lot of older stuff still to catch up on. :neckbeard:

Still not sure it was worth the money but :homebrew:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

make sure you maximize your missing the ball

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

bus hustler posted:

make sure you maximize your missing the ball

How can the DualShock 4 have more latency wired than BT.

How can the XBone game pad have the same latency over BT and radio and wired

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

My i7-4690k/1080 is no longer cutting it and I'm in the market for a new GPU and probably a new AMD cpu too. I'm pretty surprised that the 3080s are still unobtainable, why is everyone else buying this product I want instead of getting out of my way??

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/com...ntent=post_body

Easy way to undervolt, this is for 3070 but basic idea is the same regardless. You don't need to move every point on the curve one at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Varkas posted:

I think I had the same issue you're describing? I couldn't get a reading of the current voltage initially on the right hand side.

I ended up following this guide and it worked after trying the last method:
https://steemit.com/gpu/@icryptomedianews/how-to-unlock-core-voltage-in-msi-afterburner

Thank you, I followed all 3 steps and it was the 3rd step that got the slider and voltage monitoring working for me.

The problem now is I made a voltage curve but the system seems to be completely ignoring it. I tried to cap the card at a max of 800mv and 1800mhz, but when I fire up Superposition benchmark the frequency goes to 1900mhz and the system goes up to 450 watts as usual.

Am I missing something?

edit: yeah if I fire up a non-fullscreen game I can see Afterburner's voltage monitor just goes above the 800mv, ignoring me..

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 17, 2020