Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

dogsicle posted:

i'm still just wondering what exactly about test run Childe made him feel so much better than mine :sigh:

someday i'll get there

You can toggle the upper right icon to look his weapon, talents, and artifacts. Then proceed to screenshot everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

dogsicle posted:

just today and tomorrow, then the second stage unlocks and we can start spending resin

So tomorrow is 3 different areas + the ones we didn’t pick up yet? I haven’t been to the bottom right area yet to get those today and wasn’t going to bother but that’s cool if I can just do it later.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Yes. I'm on day two and only finished collecting the Guyun Stone Forest meteor shards today. However I can't say if the quest would still be available if I hadn't finished it yesterday

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

So tomorrow is 3 different areas + the ones we didn’t pick up yet? I haven’t been to the bottom right area yet to get those today and wasn’t going to bother but that’s cool if I can just do it later.

the event page doesn't list an ending date for the specific stages, so unless the later ones require full completion to that point it seems like you're fine to deal with them whenever during the overall event period

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
162 shards, day 1 complete; I hope the shard farming doesn't stay the whole way through because it takes forever x.x

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Handy map for the event btw, it's in Chinese but it's also officially from mihoyo! Unfortunately I am illiterate and cannot figure out why my EU account can't log in to save markers, probably a wechat thing or something idk

https://webstatic.mihoyo.com/app/ys-map-cn/index.html#/map/2?shown_types=89

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
any advice on what bows and artifacts fischl and venti should be using? I have:

sacrificial bow r2
favonius bow r3
one of every blue bow r5

fischl has a sharpshooter's oath a wanderer's troupe set to knock down robots and archers, and venti is using the favonius + instructor set

I also have a bow blank, are either of those worth forging?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I think favonius is better on Fischl since her bird should constantly be out and can proc the energy gain from it and Venti benefits more from being able to cast his elemental ability twice in a row

edit: actually the proc on the favonius warbow only works for the active character, it won't activate from Fischl's bird unless she's on the field

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 17, 2020

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Ive found the favonius warbow more useful on venti than sacrificial. While being able to case his e twice (sometimes) sounds good, you loose out on a ton of energy recharge and I ended up ulting less with sacrificial than a similarly leveled favonius

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Decided to spend all of my saved up primos on the Childe banner, figuring that I'd be happy no matter what 5* I get as long as it isn't Diluc.

Of course it was Diluc. At least I got Ningguang up to C5.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
You got the guy who is on a very small list of contenders for best carry in the game. Might as well delete your account with all that cursed bad luck.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Those witches that drop mist grass are a pain in the rear end to fight with ranged characters, because they keep locking onto the insects.

Does anyone know if Mona's Elemental Burst's damage buff just lasts for the first attack that hits an enemy that it's active on? That makes it a little finicky if so, since it seems like you'd want to be careful to make the next thing that hits be something that does a single large amount of damage.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

What this means is let's say you're rolling on the current banner, which has Skyward Harp and Memory of Dust, and let's say you just got childe and you want the harp, because it's bis for him. You pull out your credit card, and your rolls, excluding the random junk, are: 70 pulls, pity 5* that isn't either of them. 78 pulls, pity Dust. Another 145 pulls and you have another different 5* and another Dust. You can repeat this cycle forever. You cannot guarantee a specific weapon because of the rules. This is why you shouldn't roll on the weapon banners unless you want the 4* weapons. The last banner had Sacrificial weapons, and they were really great. I rolled a couple of times to get a sword for XQ because getting a reset on his e is amazing. On this banner, Rust is Childe's runner up bis, and if you roll enough you've got a pretty okay shot at getting it.

But what if you would be happy with both of the weapons on the banner? If I didn't already have Skyward Harp this banner would be pretty appealing since both of the weapons would be good to get.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Ytlaya posted:

Those witches that drop mist grass are a pain in the rear end to fight with ranged characters, because they keep locking onto the insects.

Does anyone know if Mona's Elemental Burst's damage buff just lasts for the first attack that hits an enemy that it's active on? That makes it a little finicky if so, since it seems like you'd want to be careful to make the next thing that hits be something that does a single large amount of damage.

There are two separate things you're confusing: the bubble itself bursts when the first attack hits the enemy, but that's not a damage buff, it just deals a bunch of Hydro to the opponent. Then the opponent gets an Omen debuff, which lasts 4s and makes them take more damage (it's technically a buff to the attacks, not a debuff to the target, so it's additive with other attack buffs).

tl;dr: you don't have to be particularly careful what you pop the bubble with, you just want to time it so you're ready to burst them down right after it does pop.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Nov 17, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bloody Emissary posted:

Which voice? I kinda like his EN one, since the clash between its creaky-old-manishness and his anime pretty-boy looks hints at his true identity.

Oh, EN, I don't know any other language to use something different.

Is there a tier list for weapons? I keep coming back to ask in here and I feel like I'm getting on people's nerves with how much of a broken record I am.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RareAcumen posted:

Oh, EN, I don't know any other language to use something different.

Is there a tier list for weapons? I keep coming back to ask in here and I feel like I'm getting on people's nerves with how much of a broken record I am.

Weapons are much more situational than characters I think, since a lot of them depend on, well, the character using them, as well as their role. Rust and the Sacrificial Bow, for example, are the best two 4* bows for Tartaglia and Diona, respectively, and the latter is probably Diona's best bow in general as long as you're using her as a support, but are awful if you swap them to the other person; Rust applies to Tartaglia's melee hits as well and thus is a blanket damage increase for him, whereas Diona shouldn't be doing many bow attacks and has a good chance of doing charged ones whenever you do have her shooting, and meanwhile even an R1 Sacrificial Bow is almost guaranteed to proc from Diona's held skill but literally cannot reset Childe's cooldown (or rather would reset it... When he's still in melee mode, and thus does nothing for when he swaps back to bow mode and still gets the full cooldown). Some resources out there list good weapon options for each character but you can't really make a general tier list for them beyond maybe listing a few weapons that are generally amazing (the Black Sword, most/all 5*s of course) and some that are pretty bad for their rarity no matter who uses them (The Bell).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't know how Lisa would be as a main DPS- honestly that guy's video that I linked is not how I play her at all. But I think it goes to show how even the "Bad" casters can be pretty viable if statted right, and a lot of a character's strength comes from the interesting edge cases of their kit rather than their ability to pump sheer numbers.

In Lisa's case, she is my secondary DPS and I hardly ever hold down her E for the big strike. My Lisa is 70 with a 70 weapon and I use her entirely as a reaction hammer, which she is incredibly good at. I have her EM pumped up to like 600 which gives something like a 415% boost on damage from overload and other elemental reactions. I use her to:

* Annihilate small flying enemies (birds, fireflies, geo shamans on pillars) with homing shots after applying hydro or cryo
* Proc superconduct with QiQi any time she feels like it to set up for Xiangling
* Proc overload off of Xiangling's fire bear to stagger big shield guys or pretty much anything that is vulnerable to being exploded. She can do this 4 times per bear, easily, and then I can pop back to Xiangling and pick up the pepper for an ATK boost
* Drop her Q and Xiangling's Q for a static field that basically procs non-stop overloads for like 20 seconds straight. This will clear that 5 Ruin Guard ambush if it catches them all.

I'm not going to die on the hill of "She's the best" or anything, especially because I didn't really have a choice of other lightning element users until very recently. But she's been really good as a backup DPS and I can't imagine replacing her right now.

Reaction Lisa also owns bones in L80 Cecilia Garden. Trying to time attack a giant wave of chunky hydro slimes is way easier with at-will electrocharge.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Weapons are much more situational than characters I think, since a lot of them depend on, well, the character using them, as well as their role. Rust and the Sacrificial Bow, for example, are the best two 4* bows for Tartaglia and Diona, respectively, and the latter is probably Diona's best bow in general as long as you're using her as a support, but are awful if you swap them to the other person; Rust applies to Tartaglia's melee hits as well and thus is a blanket damage increase for him, whereas Diona shouldn't be doing many bow attacks and has a good chance of doing charged ones whenever you do have her shooting, and meanwhile even an R1 Sacrificial Bow is almost guaranteed to proc from Diona's held skill but literally cannot reset Childe's cooldown (or rather would reset it... When he's still in melee mode, and thus does nothing for when he swaps back to bow mode and still gets the full cooldown). Some resources out there list good weapon options for each character but you can't really make a general tier list for them beyond maybe listing a few weapons that are generally amazing (the Black Sword, most/all 5*s of course) and some that are pretty bad for their rarity no matter who uses them (The Bell).

Yeah, I'm sorry, I have a bad habit of leaving out the important part of my posts all the time. I meant to ask about a tier lists for units so I'd know what I should be giving people or not, I didn't mean just in a vacuum in general.

Also I've managed to play like crazy and grind my way up to 4000 Primogems. Should I start rolling on this character banner or save them for next time? I really just want more coverage for elements I have little options for, like another Cyro character besides Kaeya and getting Sucrose or Klee so getting those frost/flame flowers and dandelion seeds could be faster.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 17, 2020

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I'm sorry, I have a bad habit of leaving out the important part of my posts all the time. I meant to ask about a tier lists for units so I'd know what I should be giving people or not, I didn't mean just in a vacuum in general.

Also I've managed to play like crazy and grind my way up to 4000 Primogems. Should I start rolling on this character banner or save them for next time? I really just want more coverage for elements I have little options for, like another Cyro character besides Kaeya and getting Sucrose or Klee so getting those frost/flame flowers and dandelion seeds could be faster.

Klee was exclusive to her banner. You won't be grabbing her for the foreseeable future. Diona is a cryo archer healer and that checks off a whole bunch of team comp boxes; she's definitely worth pursuing on this rate up.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

RareAcumen posted:

Are these the characters you want? If yes, roll on this banner, if not, then wait. I have 4800 Primos myself, but I'm not going to roll any more on this banner, because I've got Diona and Beidou and I don't really want Childe or Ninguang.

Primos are very precious and they don't come fast. Don't spend them on things you'll regret.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Klee unfortunately isn’t available again until her next banner/she gets added to the regular pool. I never played Honkai so I can’t speak to how often that happened in their previous games.

If your stable is low I would pull personally. There’s some good/fun characters on this banner, including Diona who seems like a solid cryo unit. Tier lists in Genshin are very subjective since most characters have their strengths and there’s really no content that demanding aside from high Abyss floors.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Tartaglia's aimed shots do a shitload of damage; in addition to the actual shot itself, you're triggering Riptide Flash after marking them, which is essentially a free +30% damage (it procs three times and does 10% of the damage of the aimed shot, and each proc can crit so potentially more). Riptide Flash also triggers an AoE that has pretty good stagger/knockdown potential and can even juggle things. There are fights where I just shoot stuff, or where I break melee prematurely to click heads. He can also kite quite effectively, then swap to melee when he's worn things down enough or grouped enemies appropriately. His actual bow spam is only slightly worse than Fischl's for multipliers, except he boosts his rank by 1 and has a sixth shot that does extra damage and can be dash-cancelled out of. Still probably better off doing fully charged aim shots though because of the Riptide interactions, but it isn't as bad as people think either.

He also completely breaks Fatui Agents and Electro Cicin Mages using the bow mode. The former get marked by Riptide such that they can be seen while invisible, eat tens of thousands of damage before they even start moving toward him, and then die to a two second melee burst; the latter have a similar delay where you can shoot them three or four times in the face with Riptide procs knocking them down before they even summon their bugs, and by then you can rush in and melee them to death.

I imagine his bow mode is far less exciting on console or mobile, but on PC it's relatively easy to aim accurately and the damage output is easily comparable to many characters. The melee is better, sure, but the fact you can use it sparingly or swap out of it early and finish things with aimed shots allows you to manage the melee cooldown and have it when you need it. Don't sleep on shooting.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Also, you're guaranteed to get Xiangling before too long (Abyss 3-3 is not hard to get to), she's a great fire character and while she's not the most efficient at harvesting ice flowers, she does okay at it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RareAcumen posted:

No worries. In that case, take a look at this; I'm not sure I'd agree with everything on it, but it gives a list for each character as both support and DPS (unless they're someone like Razor who just can't support) for weapon recommendations, artifact sets, and which talents you should prioritize, among other things. It's probably a good reference if you're unsure about things and want something to check. You can also join the Discord, there's plenty of people there who're happy to help and give advice and all that.

As for pulling, nth-ing what others have said and recommending that you try for Diona and stuff on this banner probably. Unfortunately neither this banner nor the next one will be offering Anemo characters for you, but the next one is rumored to be Zhongli, Chongyun, Razor, and the new Pyro support Xinyan, so you could also think about how much you want any of those characters when weighing how much to spend on this banner and when to start saving up again. Razor and Chongyun are both great DPS people, with Razor in particular being only just behind the top-tier 5* characters despite only being a 4* character himself.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Roland Jones posted:

the next one is rumored to be Zhongli, Chongyun, Razor, and the new Pyro support Xinyan

drat, that is a pretty fat banner if true. Hoping Xinyan is good, I'm digging her vibe.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Ytlaya posted:

Don't worry, they're annoying for melee too. Autotarget happens even in close range and they like blinking 10 feet away every 5 seconds.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Mailer posted:

You got the guy who is on a very small list of contenders for best carry in the game. Might as well delete your account with all that cursed bad luck.

Diluc could do 10x the damage he currently does and I would still throw him in the trash can. He has absolutely nothing interesting going on mechanically which is by far the most important thing for a carry that you spend most of your time on imo.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

As someone who has Diluc, yeah I can agree. He's powerful and very good but man he's a basic rear end bitch that's not very entertaining to play. Part of the reason I'm real happy to have Childe now.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Vargs posted:

Diluc could do 10x the damage he currently does and I would still throw him in the trash can. He has absolutely nothing interesting going on mechanically which is by far the most important thing for a carry that you spend most of your time on imo.

Yes but fire swordbird go brrrrr

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Nakar posted:

Tartaglia's aimed shots do a shitload of damage; in addition to the actual shot itself, you're triggering Riptide Flash after marking them, which is essentially a free +30% damage (it procs three times and does 10% of the damage of the aimed shot, and each proc can crit so potentially more). Riptide Flash also triggers an AoE that has pretty good stagger/knockdown potential and can even juggle things. There are fights where I just shoot stuff, or where I break melee prematurely to click heads. He can also kite quite effectively, then swap to melee when he's worn things down enough or grouped enemies appropriately. His actual bow spam is only slightly worse than Fischl's for multipliers, except he boosts his rank by 1 and has a sixth shot that does extra damage and can be dash-cancelled out of. Still probably better off doing fully charged aim shots though because of the Riptide interactions, but it isn't as bad as people think either.

He also completely breaks Fatui Agents and Electro Cicin Mages using the bow mode. The former get marked by Riptide such that they can be seen while invisible, eat tens of thousands of damage before they even start moving toward him, and then die to a two second melee burst; the latter have a similar delay where you can shoot them three or four times in the face with Riptide procs knocking them down before they even summon their bugs, and by then you can rush in and melee them to death.

I imagine his bow mode is far less exciting on console or mobile, but on PC it's relatively easy to aim accurately and the damage output is easily comparable to many characters. The melee is better, sure, but the fact you can use it sparingly or swap out of it early and finish things with aimed shots allows you to manage the melee cooldown and have it when you need it. Don't sleep on shooting.

That all sounds rad as heck, so it's a drat shame that I have the Sacrificial Bow and the Favonius Warbow for him.

I actually went and got the Prototype Crescent on the basis that he'd do well with a basic damage increase, but it sounds like i might be able to actually use the special effect on that (a big, brief damage buff when you get a headshot)?

(I'm thinking of getting the battle pass bow for him, since sucking the enemies into a small area with Riptide sounds fab as hell)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

No worries. In that case, take a look at this; I'm not sure I'd agree with everything on it, but it gives a list for each character as both support and DPS (unless they're someone like Razor who just can't support) for weapon recommendations, artifact sets, and which talents you should prioritize, among other things. It's probably a good reference if you're unsure about things and want something to check. You can also join the Discord, there's plenty of people there who're happy to help and give advice and all that.

As for pulling, nth-ing what others have said and recommending that you try for Diona and stuff on this banner probably. Unfortunately neither this banner nor the next one will be offering Anemo characters for you, but the next one is rumored to be Zhongli, Chongyun, Razor, and the new Pyro support Xinyan, so you could also think about how much you want any of those characters when weighing how much to spend on this banner and when to start saving up again. Razor and Chongyun are both great DPS people, with Razor in particular being only just behind the top-tier 5* characters despite only being a 4* character himself.

I appreciate the link! Unfortunately it turns out that I have basically none of the artifacts it recommends.

On the plus side, I have Razor and Fishcl already. Using Kaeya for superconduct, the electro Fatui mages are no threat anymore. Especially since Razor's at cap for my current AR as is his Debate Club.

I'd recommend using Noelle instead of an archer if you're going to fight them, I'm no expert though, but using a greatsword has worked out great for me in the long run.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

As someone who has Diluc, yeah I can agree. He's powerful and very good but man he's a basic rear end bitch that's not very entertaining to play. Part of the reason I'm real happy to have Childe now.

Yeah, I'm really enjoying Childe a lot (don't have Diluc, but my DPS "carry" alternatives are still pretty boring), just because he's pretty interesting to play and the way he does damage is extremely satisfying with all the numbers and enemies being knocked around (I think having a high crit rate helps since it means you can rapidly spread riptide to multiple enemies in melee mode without having to shoot them first). Groups of hilichurls just get disintegrated.

Nakar posted:

Yeah, the charged aimed shots do a very large amount of damage compared with my other bow users. I use him a lot against ruin guards (and the flying version) because he can do decent damage while they're either spinning or flying from range.

John Lee posted:

(I'm thinking of getting the battle pass bow for him, since sucking the enemies into a small area with Riptide sounds fab as hell)

Huh, that could actually be kind of neat. I imagine he'll have a number of interesting applications due to the whole "trigger bow effects in melee" thing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Nakar posted:

Not to disagree with anything you said here, but sticking any element on Fatui Agents will get them to "seen while invisible" status - they'll be moving around as an outline of that elemental color. You'll be at your characters' mercy for where you actually swing at them, unless Lisa's E is up and you just hold it because dammit he's got to be in here somewhere.

Pulled Diona with a 10 just now and I think I'm done with the Childe banner. I'm 50 pulls out from my last 5-star, Mona on the Klee banner, and I want Zhongli way more than I want Childe.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ashenai posted:

Also, you're guaranteed to get Xiangling before too long (Abyss 3-3 is not hard to get to), she's a great fire character and while she's not the most efficient at harvesting ice flowers, she does okay at it.

Yeah, I finally managed to unlock her after a lot of trial and suffering. Amber works just fine but with Barbara just being able to wave her hand and put out the fire flowers, I want that for everyone if possible now.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

RareAcumen posted:

On the plus side, I have Razor and Fishcl already. Using Kaeya for superconduct, the electro Fatui mages are no threat anymore. Especially since Razor's at cap for my current AR as is his Debate Club.

Why Debate Club over Prototype Aminus?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I suddenly realized a big reason I wanted Childe so much and am enjoying him and it's purely an aesthetics thing.

His whole gimmick of having water daggers that he combines into a polearm thing is basically just Zidane from FF Dissidia and IX is my favorite FF game. I wonder if they were going for that as an inspiration for his attack style at all.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ashenai posted:

Why Debate Club over Prototype Aminus?

I had the former at the time and had to wait until I could afford to buy another greatsword prototype to get it. I'm literally leveling it up right now.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Somebody shoot me, I got Diluc's C1 on the banner instead of Childe. So I used all my fire materia making agate gemstones to ascend him when I hit AR45. Whoops, he can't ascend until AR50. Those chunks could have ascended Bennet, Xianling, and Klee to 70+. Then I do like 6 boss runs to replace them and find out chunks are rarer than prototype drops even at WL5. I mean not that I've ever seen one of those either.

I did have a pop up when I started Stormterror to loot an "Atomic Orb":

Trust me, I tried really hard to loot it. It would have been the only interesting thing I ever got off that lizard.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Magus42 posted:

162 shards, day 1 complete; I hope the shard farming doesn't stay the whole way through because it takes forever x.x

Literally 34 minutes before this became available I was wondering wtf everyone was on until I realized there are quests and then there's also three more quests if you press down on the dpad. Scrambled to get those, found the last fragment (that weirdly didn't show on minimap last night) and was at 162 before the timer. Why there are three quests visible and you have to hit a button to get the other three quests... is a decision for the people who made up this control scheme to begin with.

Edit: All this flurry of stuff and dailies made me hit 35. Now begins the bigger grind.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 17, 2020

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
For the character banner, it says that there’s a 50 percent chance that when I get a four star it will be one of the ones on the banner, and if I don’t get it the next one is guaranteed. Is that only for the first pull, or is it always 50 percent?

And if so, then if I’m trying to get a character that’s not on the banner (like my C1 for Fischl) would I then be better off pulling on standard banner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

theblackw0lf posted:

For the character banner, it says that there’s a 50 percent chance that when I get a four star it will be one of the ones on the banner, and if I don’t get it the next one is guaranteed. Is that only for the first pull, or is it always 50 percent?

And if so, then if I’m trying to get a character that’s not on the banner (like my C1 for Fischl) would I then be better off pulling on standard banner!

The bonus is always there so even if your luck is terrible you'll still always get a featured 4* character every other drop.

Also yeah, standard banner gives you better odds at non-featured 4* characters but the pool is very large so if you are only aiming for one specific character the odds are still gonna be slim. That said we'll be getting a free Fischl from the current event soon so I'd say don't bother.