Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

drat i love andrew bird, and i had no idea he was playing the dad. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Well that scene was nuts.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Oh shiiiit they did a Wizard of Ooooooz

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I liked this episode okay enough but I definitely missed all of our Kansas City characters. Here's just some random thoughts

- I agree with the goon who said that Satchel will grow up to be Mike Milligan. That arc definitely makes sense to me after this episode

- I was absolutely tickled at all of the scenes involving the billboard outside of town, especially the worker finishing the job and lamenting about the irony of the situation out loud to Rabbi. That all felt extremely Coenesque.

- I've enjoyed Andrew Bird this season. This is sort of complicated but I'll do my best to convey it. I remember growing up and learning about all the white slave owners and racists who founded and ran our country for so, so many years and how my teachers and historians online would all say "Well you can't judge them for that, everybody was racist!" But recently a podcaster I listen to (Robert Evans of Behind the Bastards, also an occasional goon fwiw) said on his show that, no, there were people out there who treated minorities respectfully, you just have to look a little harder to find them. So with that in mind I like being introduced to a character like Thurman Smutney and seeing what a decent person in 1950 looked and acted like. I mean obviously this is a true story fictional show and he's being played by an actor, but it's still nice to see a character like that being portrayed amongst all the casual racism from the other characters. I don't think he's bad in the role at all and I've been rooting for the dumb bastard and his family.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

...so the cheshire cat mob hitman from season 2's origin story is that he got teleported to the land of oz?

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I was a little disappointed that Calamita and Rabbi were killed by force majeure but after thinking about it I guess the implication is that instead of Satchel, it's Mike Milligan that wakes up composed of the elements of both Rabbi and Calamita

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Beamed posted:

Yeah, I really feel like this season is rudderless and just.. happening. I don't really care about any of the characters, and the show has explicitly told me I shouldn't, so what's the point? The setting is basically the only thing carrying it, and it's starting to, uh, crack.

justa buncha talky-rear end people, because we LOOOVE talky-rear end people, don't we? i hate the haranguing angel of mercy, she's not interesting in any way besides her volubility. i hate the sloppy, lovely, wasteful way she cuts lines. no self respecting, lifestyle, stone core drug addict would do chunky pebble lines off the back of their hand like this:

If she wins some kind of award for this portrayal I'll protest the steal!!!!

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I reeaalllly liked Episode 9. After a whole season of a cast of thousands, having a small, tense little story in a little place like that was a nice change. I like this season a bit more than some but I do acknowledge the ginormous cast has made it feel a little too loose. It's to see when they zoom way in, it's still got that fresh Fargo flavor.

So, is next episode the finale? Feels like they are going to have to pack a LOT in...

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I believe there are two episodes left.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Brolander posted:

justa buncha talky-rear end people, because we LOOOVE talky-rear end people, don't we? i hate the haranguing angel of mercy, she's not interesting in any way besides her volubility. i hate the sloppy, lovely, wasteful way she cuts lines. no self respecting, lifestyle, stone core drug addict would do chunky pebble lines off the back of their hand like this:

If she wins some kind of award for this portrayal I'll protest the steal!!!!

:golfclap:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Catching up on the last two episodes, I'm loving this season more and more, I'd put it well above season 3 right now and close to season 1, though it doesn't touch season 2 which is my all time favorite.

I really, really, really should have seen the Wizard of Oz bit coming, I feel like a moron for not figuring out it was going to happen. The whole bit with the billboard and the mildly philosophical musings of the guy putting it up was just wonderfully handled.

I think the biggest issue with this season is that the first few episodes are all about the viewer getting to grips with the extremely large cast and various subplots, but as they've whittled down and I've become more familiar with the characters the quality of the season has just risen and risen and risen.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I didn’t love that episode personally. Maybe a little too heavy on the “magical” and less so on the “realism” for me. I thought there would’ve been a more interesting end for Rabbi and Calamita, and I don’t know that this makes for such a uniquely compelling origin story for Milligan compared to a more... human... confrontation between Rabbi and Calamita.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

mary had a little clam posted:

So, is next episode the finale? Feels like they are going to have to pack a LOT in...

11 episodes this season so two left.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I think the music playing as the kid was coming out of the building at the end was similar to the music Princess Mombi’s playing in Return to Oz.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The Oz tornado dovetailed nicely with the end of A Serious Man.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
This season is still bad but that last episode was a nice change of pace.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008
I thought the episode was cute, well shot but I think when this show imitates the Coens that directly it really makes it stand out that it is not the Coen Bros.
Also, I know I talked about the pacing of this season before, but man ending episode 8 with the idea we might finally understand what the gently caress is going on with Odis and then having none of the the main cast in this episode sure was something.
Funny to me that the show starts with the Smutneys being what we assume will be the main characters and by the end they'll have hardly been in it.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I wonder if next season will end up being the story of the Mellon family murder hotel.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Mullitt posted:

Funny to me that the show starts with the Smutneys being what we assume will be the main characters and by the end they'll have hardly been in it.

I think this is my main issue with this season so far: there just hasn't been a compelling protagonist to get behind. Seasons 1 & 2 had the Solversons, a very likable family. Season 3 (which I should rewatch), Gloria felt underwritten but I could at least get behind Nikki. The Smutneys have been severely underwritten and outside of Rabbi - who everyone knew was doomed from the start - there's been no one to get attached to.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So what was up with the coughing bandaged dude and his ummm... assistant.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Do not even ask posted:

I think this is my main issue with this season so far: there just hasn't been a compelling protagonist to get behind. Seasons 1 & 2 had the Solversons, a very likable family. Season 3 (which I should rewatch), Gloria felt underwritten but I could at least get behind Nikki. The Smutneys have been severely underwritten and outside of Rabbi - who everyone knew was doomed from the start - there's been no one to get attached to.

The best parts of season 2 were the many characters we as the audience liked, even though most of them were not good people, clashing and the tension that created. When Lou confront Mike, we want them both to walk out of there unscathed because we like them both and they’re both headed in interesting directions. When Hanzee catches up with Ed & Peggy it’s the same thing. The season is full of those interactions.
Calamita was a scary bad guy, but he might as well have been a robot. I liked the guy with the milky eye, but I don’t even remember his name and it was mostly because I thought the actor was compelling.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013

Mullitt posted:

The best parts of season 2 were the many characters we as the audience liked, even though most of them were not good people, clashing and the tension that created. When Lou confront Mike, we want them both to walk out of there unscathed because we like them both and they’re both headed in interesting directions. When Hanzee catches up with Ed & Peggy it’s the same thing. The season is full of those interactions.
Calamita was a scary bad guy, but he might as well have been a robot. I liked the guy with the milky eye, but I don’t even remember his name and it was mostly because I thought the actor was compelling.

This may be intentional. It seems like this season went out of its way to de-romanticize crime and make criminals seem inept, buffunish, hypocritical and full of false garandeur. There is nothing like the mystical evil of previous seasons, only dumb evil people doing dumb evil things.

Herostratus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 17, 2020

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Herostratus posted:

This may be intentional. It seems like this season went out of its way to de-romanticize crime and make criminals seem inept, buffunish, hypocritical and full of false garandeur. There is nothing like the mystical evil of previous seasons, only dumb evil people doing dumb evil things.

I’d have to disagree, since we just spent an entire episode setting up the tragic backstory from everyone’s favorite criminal from season 2.
You can use that kind of vague thematic reading to justify all bad or boring writing, and I suppose it could be intentional, but you’re still asking people to watch 11 hours of a pulpy violent dark comedy crime story with characters they don’t connect with. This isn’t Too Old To Die Young or something.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ballz posted:

So what was up with the coughing bandaged dude and his ummm... assistant.

I thought it was the same actor who played the Irish mob boss for a second.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm in the camp that this season is better than 3 but worse than 1 and 2 because 1 and 2 were just absolute genius and season 3 had nobody I really cared about other than the drumssassin. That said, I think this season's biggest weakness is something you can trace to early seasons of Game of Thrones. Despite all the cast and characters GoT employed, it managed to have at least 4 very good seasons. The reason for this is because you'd never go longer than 2 episodes without getting some kind of plot movement out of every single character and storyline. It was really decently paced and spread evenly. This season of Fargo either leaves characters alone for too long, practically making us forget names and backstories, or just has no story to tell for many of the characters so when we do get back to them, there's nothing to tell other than "character is hitting head against wall." Part of me wonders if this season would've been better at double the length so that characters could get more fleshing out and have compelling storylines or if the season would've been better at half the length so we could view it more as a mini-series where we never had to know the characters on a personal level but we can get all their plotlines moving at a decent pace.

... or this is just more proof of the Noah Hawley effect and it's a great season to marathon.

In any case, it's still entertaining to watch. There are plenty of fantastic scenes that stand on their own, which is the norm for the Fargo series and Noah Hawley. And of course this latest episode keeps up the tradition of having 1 stand-out thematic episode and it was very good. The weakness is merely in the over-arching construction of the show and that's better than just being complete trash.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 17, 2020

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mullitt posted:

I’d have to disagree, since we just spent an entire episode setting up the tragic backstory from everyone’s favorite criminal from season 2.

Do we have any actual evidence of that yet or is it just you assuming?

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

ChesterJT posted:

I’m sure the Fargo universe is crawling with black kids adopted by Irish guys with the last name Milligan from Kansas City, MO who would be in their 30s/early 40s in 1979 and affiliated with the mob.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If I recall correctly, Joe Bulo was Milligan's mentor, right? A younger version of Bulo showed up a couple of episodes ago so I'm wondering how these two are going to come into contact.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

If I recall correctly, Joe Bulo was Milligan's mentor, right? A younger version of Bulo showed up a couple of episodes ago so I'm wondering how these two are going to come into contact.

I imagine that the Cannons and Faddas will wipe each other out. Mike might be the only Cannon left at the end of this.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DaveKap posted:

I'm in the camp that this season is better than 3 but worse than 1 and 2 because 1 and 2 were just absolute genius and season 3 had nobody I really cared about other than the drumssassin. That said, I think this season's biggest weakness is something you can trace to early seasons of Game of Thrones. Despite all the cast and characters GoT employed, it managed to have at least 4 very good seasons. The reason for this is because you'd never go longer than 2 episodes without getting some kind of plot movement out of every single character and storyline. It was really decently paced and spread evenly. This season of Fargo either leaves characters alone for too long, practically making us forget names and backstories, or just has no story to tell for many of the characters so when we do get back to them, there's nothing to tell other than "character is hitting head against wall." Part of me wonders if this season would've been better at double the length so that characters could get more fleshing out and have compelling storylines or if the season would've been better at half the length so we could view it more as a mini-series where we never had to know the characters on a personal level but we can get all their plotlines moving at a decent pace.

... or this is just more proof of the Noah Hawley effect and it's a great season to marathon.

In any case, it's still entertaining to watch. There are plenty of fantastic scenes that stand on their own, which is the norm for the Fargo series and Noah Hawley. And of course this latest episode keeps up the tradition of having 1 stand-out thematic episode and it was very good. The weakness is merely in the over-arching construction of the show and that's better than just being complete trash.

What's a drumsassin

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Quick facts:

1) Liberal, Kansas is a real town in Kansas. I've been there.
2) It *is* the self-proclaimed Pancake Hub of the Universe.
2a) 1950 was the first year of the Pancake Race so it's maybe weird to have a show taking place over the holidays in 1950 already have that enshrined at the town limits, but canonically some dude is putting up fresh signs for a new decade around Liberal.
3) Liberal, Kansas is the home of the "Dorothy's House" Wizard of Oz museum, though it didn't get moved there until the early 1980s..
4) Liberal, Kansas (and really most of the southwest quadrant of Kansas) has as its bigger employer the beef industry. The main employer (at least for the past 30-40 years, don't know about in 1950) in the region are various farms and slaughterhouses. I suspect that was the smell, not so much "fresh air".

5) They have a semipro baseball team called The Liberal Bee Jays, which is something.

I don't really know what to make of a lot of this episode. I liked it, though.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's a drumsassin

The assassin who always gets his own drums.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Edge & Christian posted:

5) They have a semipro baseball team called The Liberal Bee Jays, which is something.

Please don't dox me

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ChesterJT posted:

all this "satchel is mike milligan" guff will be cleared up when satchel wears his I'm Not Mike Milligan tshirt in the finale

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

drat, totally missed that. Good catch.

Other evidence for satchel being mike milligan (outside of Noah's enjoyment of having these season's intertwine subtly) is that Chris Rock does the same speech about how Mid-westerners are "friendly" word-for-word that Mike does in S2.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mameluke posted:

all this "satchel is mike milligan" guff will be cleared up when satchel wears his I'm Not Mike Milligan tshirt in the finale

Maybe it’s like Madmen and he (Madmen spoilers for Jerusalem since I know he’s rewatching it) assumes the identity of a dead man.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

ChesterJT posted:

lmao

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mullitt posted:

I’m sure the Fargo universe is crawling with black kids adopted by Irish guys with the last name Milligan from Kansas City, MO who would be in their 30s/early 40s in 1979 and affiliated with the mob.

Sorry, my encyclopedia on older season fargo characters is temporarily out of reach. I should have remembered his assumed age and "adopted irish dad" storyline from 5 years ago.

Mullitt
Jun 27, 2008

ChesterJT posted:

Sorry, my encyclopedia on older season fargo characters is temporarily out of reach. I should have remembered his assumed age and "adopted irish dad" storyline from 5 years ago.

I'm not saying that what happened in season 2 is explained here (I actually don't think this being his backstory makes much sense for what we know of the character), but rather if they're going out of their way to show a character in these extremely specific circumstances in a show that has already had generational links between seasons, it would be beyond stupid for Satchel not to be Mike Milligan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Holy poo poo, my jaw was on the floor with Gaetano's death. What the gently caress. That was about a perfect last 15 minutes of a show I've seen in a while.