Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think it's more like those pockets of Japanese resistance who refuse to believe the war ended and we'll have to send Ted Cruz door to door to tell people it's over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I would be happy for Trump to start a paywalled TV service a la The Blaze, or more likely, slap his name on an existing station like OAN and put it behind a paywall. Just go the gently caress away

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Trump starting his own channel makes sense, but the more I think about it, the less I’m sure it’ll be a huge success. There are plenty of Trump voters sure, but I think once he’s officially a LOSER and out of office, that will carry a ton of baggage and the people who aren’t completely sucked in to his tractor beam will just leave the TV on FoxNews.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gross Dude posted:

I saw a CNN article about this today: https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/12/media/fox-news-newsmax-reliable-sources/index.html

During the election Newsmax's ratings jumped 7 times what it was over the summer. After the election it was at 14 times what the viewership was over the summer.

To put the viewership of the the other two shows into perspective (700k and 800k viewers), Hannity and Tucker both get over 5 million viewers a night in a really good month.

I hear ads for Newsmax n the radio from time to time and they make me laugh until I remember that lots of people take this seriously. The ads are like "with expert commentary from Michelle Malkin, Gordon Liddy, Diamond and Silk and poo poo like that.

CHUD's turning on FOX and moving to OANN or Newsmax is part of the ongoing trend of how these people constantly need to double down and especially how they always need their own versions of everything (Wikipedia, FB, News) whenever reality infringes on their predetermined worldview. They always require a "conservative version" of whatever it is that's popular because, to them, everything is liberally biased.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I heard some interview on NPR about what Trump might do in his lame duck period and post-presidency in general, like what additional norms he might break and so on. The guy brought up the tradition of presidential libraries and thought it likely that Trump would try to start one. While presidential libraries are traditionally non-profit organizations, there is nothing stopping Trump from making a for-profit "Trumpworld" theme-park-style presidential "library." It would be a good way to grift with his reality TV-style showmanship.

The guy also argued against the idea of Trump simply fading away into obscurity with the GOP trying to move on and pretend he never existed, since Trump so fundamentally remade the GOP over the past four years into the Party of Trump that it would be very hard to walk away from. More than 70 million people voted for him, his personality cult is too strong, the constant need to double down on everything is too strong, and too many people who aren't Trump loyalists had been forced out of the party by this point. Instead, going beyond just Trump TV or Trump taking over other right wing media, Trump could continue to be a power player in the GOP (or run a 2024 campaign) by operating out of a ridiculous, gold-gilded Trumpworld presidential theme park in Florida around Mar-a-Lago or something, that serves as a Mecca for Trump cultists to make pilgrimages to, and for up-and-coming Republican acolytes to go to in order to pay homage to Trump. He could have a MAGA rally any time he wants with something like that. It's such a loving dumb thing to think about that it's probably going to happen.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ivan Shitskin posted:

I heard some interview on NPR about what Trump might do in his lame duck period and post-presidency in general, like what additional norms he might break and so on. The guy brought up the tradition of presidential libraries and thought it likely that Trump would try to start one. While presidential libraries are traditionally non-profit organizations, there is nothing stopping Trump from making a for-profit "Trumpworld" theme-park-style presidential "library." It would be a good way to grift with his reality TV-style showmanship.

The guy also argued against the idea of Trump simply fading away into obscurity with the GOP trying to move on and pretend he never existed, since Trump so fundamentally remade the GOP over the past four years into the Party of Trump that it would be very hard to walk away from. More than 70 million people voted for him, his personality cult is too strong, the constant need to double down on everything is too strong, and too many people who aren't Trump loyalists had been forced out of the party by this point. Instead, going beyond just Trump TV or Trump taking over other right wing media, Trump could continue to be a power player in the GOP (or run a 2024 campaign) by operating out of a ridiculous, gold-gilded Trumpworld presidential theme park in Florida around Mar-a-Lago or something, that serves as a Mecca for Trump cultists to make pilgrimages to, and for up-and-coming Republican acolytes to go to in order to pay homage to Trump. He could have a MAGA rally any time he wants with something like that. It's such a loving dumb thing to think about that it's probably going to happen.

I'm fairly sure the New York AG has criminal charges waiting for Trump as soon as he is out of the White House. It's certainly possible that Trump can stave off the lawsuits and avoid jail time, but his finances are also potentially dire at this point.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I don't think Trump's going anywhere. His cult is dug in pretty deep and the dedication he inspires in the weirdos that love him is something I've never really seen before. Curious to see what happens tomorrow in DC.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

BiggerBoat posted:

Curious to see what happens tomorrow in DC.

You mean that march?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Chances are they won't get close to a million

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Maybe not a million people there, but a million cases from it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Listerine posted:

You mean that march?

Yes

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Its 2008 and Glenn Beck is talking about Reverend Wright

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ivan Shitskin posted:

He'll do nightly shows like a Vegas residency. And it'll all be slapped up so quickly by the cheapest, scammiest contractors (who know they aren't getting paid anyway) that the whole thing will be falling apart before it opens and we'll get news reports like the ones from the hotels at the Sochi Olympics.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
https://twitter.com/wenzlerpowers/status/1327446362246537221?s=21

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If anyone was wondering what became of Matt Walsh he's a fascist now and he still hates Trump but for different reasons than before.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1327838213294133249

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1327823681469489152

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Remind me - is Matt Walsh the guy who made that tweet about how much he loves sex with women but phrased it so awkwardly it sounded like he wanted to gently caress his mom?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

letthereberock posted:

Remind me - is Matt Walsh the guy who made that tweet about how much he loves sex with women but phrased it so awkwardly it sounded like he wanted to gently caress his mom?

No that's Stephen Crowder

https://mobile.twitter.com/delmoi/status/1041534036349526016

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Wait, his penis's preference is the body cavity from whence it came... like... his mom? :stare:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

XkyRauh posted:

Wait, his penis's preference is the body cavity from whence it came... like... his mom? :stare:

He, obviously, means his dad's urethra.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

If anyone was wondering what became of Matt Walsh he's a fascist now and he still hates Trump but for different reasons than before.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattWalshBlog/status/1327823681469489152

Weird. It's almost like the majority of people in the U.S. don't like fascists, nazis and white supremacists and a president who lies every time he speaks or picks up his phone that openly supports them. Truly crazy I tell you.

Now the MAGA cult is turning on loving FOX because it's not quote assholish and dishonest enough. Pretty sure I predicted this a few hundred pages ago but if I didn't, I should have, so now I have to go back an edit an old post where I did that.

EDIT:

Speaking of FOX, let's go back to 2016:

In 2016, Fox’s Steve Doocy Said There Is ‘No Way To Rig A National Election’

https://www.newshounds.us/in_2016_fox_s_doocy_said_no_way_to_rig_a_national_election_111120

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 15, 2020

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

XkyRauh posted:

He's going for the cavity in his own body that his testicles can retract into, but uh yeah, phrasing.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

letthereberock posted:

No that was Crowder

https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/732431646599696385?s=20

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
Trump TV here we come!

https://twitter.com/wsj/status/1328066494832521216?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If he wants to waste his money, that's fine by me

The Murdochs can easily crush him if they want

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Feel like OANN is more realistic. Newsmax has been around too long.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Honestly, I'd be happy with Trump buying either Newsmax or OANN. He'll just run them into the ground no matter what, and with all the chuds turning their backs on Fox Klingon-style, maybe the general level of empathy in this country will finally start to see some gains.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FrigidSoggyArrowana-mobile.mp4
yeah, i know it's just wishful thinking, but that's all i've got these days

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

You wouldn't even have to wait for a Trump channel to be a disaster.

For a start, he'd cripple it from day one by trying to do the whole thing on the cheap.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

He hates the CIA so much that he will sell his soul not even to destroy them, but just so he can delude himself into thinking the devil WANTS to destroy them, even while he is literally screaming in his face that he loves the CIA.

That or he's freebased Leftist Own The Libs so hard and so often that its literally cracked his moral compass like an egg and all that's left is a man who's only solace is those who hate Liberals even more than himself, Actual Nazis.

That or he was a grifter all along.

Its got to be one of those three.

He hates trans people. That's it, that's the entire reason for his wretched journey.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Honestly, I'd be happy with Trump buying either Newsmax or OANN. He'll just run them into the ground no matter what, and with all the chuds turning their backs on Fox Klingon-style, maybe the general level of empathy in this country will finally start to see some gains.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FrigidSoggyArrowana-mobile.mp4
yeah, i know it's just wishful thinking, but that's all i've got these days

Yeah, but either way, OANN and Newsmax I think are going to continue to grow, especially with this moron talking poo poo on either station whenever he thinks he has something to say, which is "all the time". I've never quite seen the manic and weird level of love, devotion and dedication that Trump has built over the 35 years I've been eligible to vote and am genuinely frightened of it. I don't think it can be stressed enough how much of a cult this really is and the decades of RWM bullshit that went into building it, ultimately hatching and unleashing a creature like Donald Trump and letting him run amok.

It's very similar to MLM schemes/brainwashing and televangelists, and now we're in the sunk cost fallacy stage. The same people that claim we live in a christian nation want to live and die with a person that checks every box on the seven deadly sins and are doubling down to the point where FOX News isn't far right enough for them. Plus they are convinced that every other news outlet is lying to them on purpose, that they're somehow in on it and that only mother loving YOU TUBE of all places will tell them the truth.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

I'll be the contrarian and say I don't think Trump will keep his followers.

These people, roughly 70 million US citizens, are a mix of racists, idiots, and people who are still upset a black man was president. Tea Baggers 2020 if you will.

I think rear end-holes will continue to be rear end-holes, so the Republican party is not going anywhere, in fact, it will slowly be filled with people of color as rear end-holeness knows no bounds, but the out-and-out racist/nazi/whatever will sort of filter off into their own thing. None of them will follow Trump more than a few months after he's out of office.

Look how well Bill O'Reilly or Glenn Beck is doing today...

No platform, no followers.

The real danger I think is, who's the next, potentially competent Trump?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

XtraSmiley posted:

The real danger I think is, who's the next, potentially competent Trump?

A competent Trump is an impossible idea.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yeah, a main point of fascism is ideology and "loyalty" over anything else. That tends to weed out the competent. See: the revolving door of "only the best" who become "Who? Don't know that loser." as soon as they dare to disagree, especially if they were right.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I think it's possible to be competent in a blatantly authoritarian system of government, especially if the government fears an uprising and thinks that they have to at least keep the trains running on time to stay in power, but a large part of Trump's appeal is specifically the blatant anti-intellectualism. He's the exemplar of every moron that refuses to listen to people that know what they're talking about because "freedom."

So, while I very much think we have to worry about a "competent Trump" and more generally the GOP base deciding that "crush the libs" should be the goal of the people they elect, the Trump base literally thinks competence is a negative, they WANT dumb.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 17, 2020

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Authoritarian, yes, fascist/conservative, no. A competent authoritarian is possible, but a competent fascist is generally not - not if they are a genuine ideological fascist - because the fascist is an idealist and concerned primarily with ideological purity, while the authoritarian is a pragmatist and concerned primarily with expanding, retaining, and exercising power.

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

I've got several male friends under 5'5" and it does seem to be a thing, so I could never make these jokes socially. But dang it's fun to trash this idiot.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Literally Esoteric posted:

I've got several male friends under 5'5" and it does seem to be a thing, so I could never make these jokes socially. But dang it's fun to trash this idiot.

As long as they don't claim to be 5'9" they ought to be okay with it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, I mean, it's not cool to make fun of someone over something they can't control, but it's perfectly acceptable to make fun of them lying about it like an insecure dipshit, especially when they treat other people like trash.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Good article on FOX NEws Republicans (as if there is another kind)

https://www.prri.org/research/trumpism-after-trump-how-fox-news-structures-republican-attitudes/

I think we're really REALLY starting to see what decades of this poo poo has really done to our populace. Kids have grown up listening to it and now they hold office, culminating in one Trump, Donald J.

I don't see how it gets better. Now FOX is too liberal for them and between social media and poo poo like Newsmax and OANN, these people have plenty of viable options and avenues towards continually doubling down. I think RWM kind of started out as a ruse and a cheap way to spread disinformation but seriously doubt that the creators were true believers.

They are now.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/DineshDSouza/status/1329549734705590274

I guess he didn't watch the whole movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

In the replies he seems to be under the impression the Persians left after Thermopylae.