Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

oriongates posted:

Oh, hey, Mercury Hat! Just got Keenspace forum flashbacks.

Assuming there are not multiple folks with an interest in webcomics who goes by Mercury Hat. Given the size of the internet that is hardly a safe assumption.

Nah it's the same, alright.

Sup :coffeepal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

And the constant, perpetual speculation and frankly creepy assumptions about his personal life and him as a person. That poo poo got the original DD mock thread closed, surprised it's gone on this long again.

That got the CAD threads banned from BSS and the Dobson threads shut down. The Deegan threads were able to pass mostly gracefully into that dark night when the comic ended.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's not, though? We (as in, the current DD thread) only look at the comic and the blogs he publicly posts. We're good about shutting down speculation about his family and never, ever touch the poop.

Did you stop subscribing to his patreon to go through is patreon-only content for dirt to laugh at?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Nuns with Guns posted:

Did you stop subscribing to his patreon to go through is patreon-only content for dirt to laugh at?

are people seriously doing this please dont this is so lovely and creepy and weird...i feel like i even explicitly said this when someone was fishing for public opinion on if it was okay to do. please do not pay people to humiluate them

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

fun hater posted:

are people seriously doing this please dont this is so lovely and creepy and weird...i feel like i even explicitly said this when someone was fishing for public opinion on if it was okay to do. please do not pay people to humiluate them

That guy did at least once, yeah, which is one more poop-touching time than he's claiming. I fell off reading the thread regularly though because yeah like everyone's been saying the Legacy comic is just all the boring bits of Mookie's specific artistic and writing quirks, and there's only so many times you can laugh at Mookie drawing a wiener oddly or resolving a plot beat in the least ambitious way because he's not planning his story out ahead of the day he draws a page. Whenever I look in there now the thread's either posting any art Mookie's shared on twitter or dumping the whole of Deegan or Star Power in the thread for material, which probably isn't a good sign for the energy or interest in the new comic if you have to go back and mine those again.

Dominic Deegan was fascinating in its own way because it was a legit internet comic success by virtue of just being an ongoing story comic that updated regularly in the early 2000s. It was promoted by other "big" webcomics at the time, and heck it's even immortalized in a reference from an early Girl Genius page alongside Gunnerkrigg Court and some other notable webcomics of the time! It just happened to get quickly outpaced by the quality of its peers, and Mookie himself seemed to gradually burn out but continue it out of obligation while being unwilling or unable to gracefully write himself out of the corners he blundered into.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 13, 2020

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Mercury Hat posted:

Nah it's the same, alright.

Sup :coffeepal:

There really should be some socially acceptable way to just shout "I recognize you and are pleased you are alive but have not planned a followup to this statement!"

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

oriongates posted:

There really should be some socially acceptable way to just shout "I recognize you and are pleased you are alive but have not planned a followup to this statement!"

"Hey! Good to see ya!"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That was cute. :3:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Dominic Deegan was fascinating in its own way because it was a legit internet comic success by virtue of just being an ongoing story comic that updated regularly in the early 2000s. It was promoted by other "big" webcomics at the time, and heck it's even immortalized in a reference from an early Girl Genius page alongside Gunnerkrigg Court and some other notable webcomics of the time! It just happened to get quickly outpaced by the quality of its peers, and Mookie himself seemed to gradually burn out but continue it out of obligation while being unwilling or unable to gracefully write himself out of the corners he blundered into.

That was in 2007. Deegan is still kinda going via "The Legacy of Dominic Deegan." Devil's Panties, Gunnerkrigg Court, Waspi Square, Something Positive, and Girl Genius itself are all still chugging along. Only Buck Godot, which was even then an abandoned legacy project, and Home on the Strange which flamed out a year later in 2008 haven't survived in some form into 2020. Not a bad hit rate for a set of random background jokes!

e: Oh hey, I'd forgotten that the jokes continue on the next GG page! Let's see...Order of the Stick is still going, as is Freefall, Bob the Angry Flower, and Questionable Content. Digger closed up shop in 2011. Namir Deiter itself ended in 2015, while the last of the ND successor strips seems to have ground to a halt in March of this year.

Still, to have ten out of fourteen comics mentioned still be going more than thirteen years later is a lot better than one would have expected!

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 13, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

jng2058 posted:

That was in 2007. Deegan is still kinda going via "The Legacy of Dominic Deegan." Devil's Panties, Gunnerkrigg Court, Waspi Square, Something Positive, and Girl Genius itself are all still chugging along. Only Buck Godot, which was even then an abandoned legacy project, and Home on the Strange which flamed out a year later in 2008 haven't survived in some form into 2020. Not a bad hit rate for a set of random background jokes!

e: Oh hey, I'd forgotten that the jokes continue on the next GG page! Let's see...Order of the Stick is still going, as is Freefall, Bob the Angry Flower, and Questionable Content. Digger closed up shop in 2011. Namir Deiter itself ended in 2015, while the last of the ND successor strips seems to have ground to a halt in March of this year.

Still, to have ten out of fourteen comics mentioned still be going more than thirteen years later is a lot better than one would have expected!

Girls with Slingshots is also in that page, and that one ended back in 2015. Got a proper ending and all, which is always good to see in a webcomic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jng2058 posted:

Man, I just realized I haven't thought of Something Positive in absolute years.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like in the 2000s there were a lot more interconnections between webcomics and their artists that I don't notice anymore, either because it's less overt or I've not been reading the right popular webcomics.

Which it's probably for the better that there are less people taking breaks for guest comics or even the occasional weird crossover event to focus on their own story and tone, although it's not as good for discoverability. Maybe kids these days find their webcomics through social media or something.

jng2058 posted:

Buck Godot was finished, but apparently ran into some weird legal schenanigans and can only be found on archive.org. Which is a real shame, because it's a real great comic. I like its particular take on sci-fi, and since it;s short, it avoids the things that people complain about in Girl Genius.

Also in Girl Genius today Zeetha can read Linear A.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also in Girl Genius today Zeetha can read Linear A.

Considering this was next to a museum exhibit on the ability to live on other planets, I think some long-standing fan-theories are finally going to be explicitly spelled out...

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like in the 2000s there were a lot more interconnections between webcomics and their artists that I don't notice anymore, either because it's less overt or I've not been reading the right popular webcomics.

Which it's probably for the better that there are less people taking breaks for guest comics or even the occasional weird crossover event to focus on their own story and tone, although it's not as good for discoverability. Maybe kids these days find their webcomics through social media or something.

I still see plenty of guest art and comics as filler in this day and age, especially from comics on Hiveworks which seems to have a fair sense of community going on. I think more likely is that the scale of the webcomic industry is so big these days that any particular reference to another comic or artist is much less likely to be one you'd recognise and notice.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Tenebrais posted:

Girls with Slingshots is also in that page, and that one ended back in 2015. Got a proper ending and all, which is always good to see in a webcomic.

Why so it is! 10/15 then. I somehow doubt that 66% of webcomics that existed in 2007 are still updating today, so they selected well. Of course the ones they selected were reasonably well known, so being at least somewhat successful has surely added to the longevity.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah, my webcomic list rarely changed in the last few years save to eliminate strips that had ended one way or another until I stumbled onto this thread earlier this year. Discoverability is definitely an issue these days.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Buck Godot was finished, but apparently ran into some weird legal schenanigans and can only be found on archive.org. Which is a real shame, because it's a real great comic. I like its particular take on sci-fi, and since it;s short, it avoids the things that people complain about in Girl Genius.

Buck Godot was one of my favorites. I managed to track down hardcopies of all BG there is, save that little History of the Universe starring the Winslow one shot strip. So I'm happy I have it, but I wish there was more of it. ::sigh:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The con scene made it pretty easy for a lot of them to hang out, and then Jeffrey Rowland running Topatoco also gave them association and affiliation with each other. Re-reading Octopus Pie with Gran's commentary it's fun to see all of the artist cameos of folks that Gran was friends with through work.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's not, though? We (as in, the current DD thread) only look at the comic and the blogs he publicly posts. We're good about shutting down speculation about his family and never, ever touch the poop.

Two days ago you posted an edit that turned one of the new strips into a rape joke. Multiple people called you out on it but multiple other people thought it was funny as gently caress. Don't try and tell me that thread isn't a shithole.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

jng2058 posted:

Why so it is! 10/15 then. I somehow doubt that 66% of webcomics that existed in 2007 are still updating today, so they selected well. Of course the ones they selected were reasonably well known, so being at least somewhat successful has surely added to the longevity.

I think it speaks somewhat to the format a lot of the featured webcomics on those pages fit into, where they're more like syndicated strips that can stop at any time or print on until the end times. Everyone nowaydays wants to make their own graphic novel series with anticipated starts and end points, then falls off writing it because that's an insane amount of work for a one-person project.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Two days ago you posted an edit that turned one of the new strips into a rape joke. Multiple people called you out on it but multiple other people thought it was funny as gently caress. Don't try and tell me that thread isn't a shithole.

I'm not going to look but let me guess, it was a rapehands edit? They were always the most vile part of the old Deegan threads.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm not going to look but let me guess, it was a rapehands edit? They were always the most vile part of the old Deegan threads.

Of course it was.

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world

fun hater posted:

smackjeeves

a thousand years later: I will never not be mad that I had to reupload My Entire Archive (which just reached 600 pages) for the third time because of that bullshit. It was FINE. IT WAS FINE and they RUINED IT

I don't get a lot of comments, and I lost all the ones I'd accumulated over the years, which legitimately bums me out. I am small potatoes, let me savor these things

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009
Someone linked a comic in here a few months ago that i binged and promptly forgot to bookmark. It was beautifully drawn and involved two bandits who got cursed by a wizard and they try to rob someone and get separated. One of the bandits ends up on a boat that gets destroyed in a storm. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

stab stabby posted:

Someone linked a comic in here a few months ago that i binged and promptly forgot to bookmark. It was beautifully drawn and involved two bandits who got cursed by a wizard and they try to rob someone and get separated. One of the bandits ends up on a boat that gets destroyed in a storm. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Basileus?

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009

Yes! Thank you!!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

stab stabby posted:

Sounds like Basileus. I think I linked it a little while back.
e: beaten

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dawgstar posted:

Man, I just realized I haven't thought of Something Positive in absolute years.

Depending on how you feel about S*P, there's never been a better or a worse time to go back to it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

Depending on how you feel about S*P, there's never been a better or a worse time to go back to it.

Something Positive is really telling for how the best case scenario of 'edgy edgelord shock humor' nerds could have grown up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, if things had gone differently, it really could've been something... awful.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, if things had gone differently, it really could've been something... awful.

The main character turns out to be a serial abuser who's a grifter that lacks a spine?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Burkion posted:

Something Positive is really telling for how the best case scenario of 'edgy edgelord shock humor' nerds could have grown up.

Speaking as someone who never read the comic, I cannot explain the tonal whiplash I got from looking up a character on the fan wiki (who, in the comic, is grieving and being assured by someone she's still family) which lists her first major appearance as "hosed by a koala".

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Mercury Hat posted:

Speaking as someone who never read the comic, I cannot explain the tonal whiplash I got from looking up a character on the fan wiki (who, in the comic, is grieving and being assured by someone she's still family) which lists her first major appearance as "hosed by a koala".

It actually works! I thought Randy did an excellent job with Monette's character. Really, he ended up having a lot of his old punching bags show significant growth, from Monette to Kharisma to Mike. Mike especially showed the way a lovely angry nerd could grow up and be a very decent person... while remaining a complete nerd.

Also, the first comic is still loving funny. All the moreso because of the revenge Gia gets ~12 years later.

I still want to know who Davan called during the cat-girl massacre at the comic expo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jedit posted:

I'm genuinely pleased is seems to have shown some growth and Randy just didn't keep coasting on the same shtick. (Compare and contrast his Mike with Willis' Mike.)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Discoverability wise, most new webcomics nowadays (as far as I can tell) are on Webtoons, and they advertise any of their regularly updating comics pretty heavily on like Facebook and stuff.

Actually, I'm kinda surprised that the various Webtoons comics never get talked about here - there's lots of trash, but also quite a lot of good stuff too. I thought Sweet Home was pretty good, and am enjoying Lore Olympus a lot right now.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
never even heard of it

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
don't you have to sign a contract and give up some rights to get on webtoons? i vaguely remember a twitter thread complaining about it

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

Discoverability wise, most new webcomics nowadays (as far as I can tell) are on Webtoons, and they advertise any of their regularly updating comics pretty heavily on like Facebook and stuff.

Actually, I'm kinda surprised that the various Webtoons comics never get talked about here - there's lots of trash, but also quite a lot of good stuff too. I thought Sweet Home was pretty good, and am enjoying Lore Olympus a lot right now.

There’s also Tapas but yeah, that seems to be the direction the kids are going in. And yeah, I’d be interested to see if there are any gems there worth reading.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

XKCD is really touching today.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

XKCD is really touching today.
drat. I don't even have anyone in my life who's been affected by cancer, and that still hit me.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I guess the existence of sites like Webtoons and Tapas and stuff isn't THAT new though. A lot of comics got their start on Keenspot back in the day, after all.

Anyway, this thread got me into a comic a while back and I've forgotten what it was called! I think it was just a passing mention, but I'm hoping someone recognizes it:

The main character is a woman who I think has just started going to college? And she has an imaginary friend (well, nemesis). But something happens that makes all the people around her at a party look like monsters, and then she can SEE the imaginary friend, who it turns out is real. Also she's investigating some old experiments trying to find someone and what happened.

Any idea?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
brainchild?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

readingatwork posted:

There’s also Tapas but yeah, that seems to be the direction the kids are going in. And yeah, I’d be interested to see if there are any gems there worth reading.

My Webtoon picks:

Axed - A woman who has spent her whole life training to fight and slay monsters now has to get a job after the humans and monsters declare peace. Wacky, often dark comedy.

Cursed Princess Club - Hidden in a forest in the Pastel Kingdom, a manor house serves as a refuge for princesses across the land dealing with curses from wicked witches and the like that make it difficult for them to live in polite society. Very sweet.

Four Leaf - Lupe is a lonely girl with an imaginary friend. Or she thought she was, until she finds herself in another world in that girl's company. She also finds out her friend isn't human. Fantasy adventure, the character relationships are pretty engaging.