Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Xaintrailles posted:

This finally hit the press - note that even the most severe example doesn't have teachers deleting the app.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/nov/16/union-says-teachers-in-england-being-told-to-pause-covid-app-in-school

Haha I can’t believe it took this long to come out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

poverty goat posted:

They're also headed into summer, so it's largely just their turn for a reprieve, not something magical about how the upside-down peoples have addressed the crisis. Give it a few months.

Here’s Australia’s data at a national level:

That looks like there was a nationally-wide second wave during winter, but it doesn’t tell the whole story. Here’s the data broken out by state:

This is for the 3 states with the most cases. The other states look the same as QLD, just smaller. Note also the different scales on the Y axis. If I showed them all at the same scale, you don’t even see data past the first wave for any state besides Victoria.

So what happened was that Victoria had a second wave, but the rest of the country continued on just fine. How? We basically isolated Victoria and forbid them from leaving the state. Those that had to, had to quarantine for 2 weeks in a hotel before being released. Exactly the same rules as any overseas arrivals.

For the rest of the country, we continued opening up and life returned back to mostly normal. I’ve been going back to pubs/restaurants for months. House parties have been back on. Live music, etc. are open again. Sporting grand finals in September/October were at 75% capacity, with 30k+ people in stadiums. At no point outside of Victoria have masks been mandated except in very narrow circumstances (e.g. aged care facility visits during high risk times). Sure, lots of stuff has been under restricted capacities, but that’s continued to lift even up to today. And all of this easing started in winter.

Yesterday, South Australia’s capital city reported 17 new cases related to a cluster in one city that previously had 4 cases. Before yesterday, South Australia only had 17 total active cases. In order to tackle it, the state government set out to within 24 hours contact trace two degrees of close contacts away from each of those 17 cases. On average there’s about 10 close contacts per case, so that’s 170 for the first degree and then 1700 total for the second degree. All of those people will be ordered to get tested and quarantine until they get a negative result. This is the sort of aggressive response that has let each state besides Victoria relax throughout winter without cases surging back.

There is a wealth of information and data posted here regarding Australia’s performance, including state-by-state stats on days since community transmission, etc., if you want to get a better feel for the situation. For a snapshot of how our restrictions look, this article details how the restrictions are changing today in Queensland as we continue to open up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Is this all just speculation or is there some evidence that we know how long the immunity would last? So far can't you get infected after maybe 4 months after having the virus? I mean, that we've witnessed so far.

Out of all the confirmed cases of reinfecton so far, the average time has been 78 days between infections but sometimes it's as fast as less than two weeks: https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/08/covid-19-reinfection-tracker/

quote:

People with SARS-CoV-2, the virus which causes COVID-19, may continue to test positive for several months without being sick or infectious. A reinfection is confirmed when testing shows each virus’ genetic makeup is different to a degree which cannot be explained through in-vivo evolution.

... which is probably more like 1 week since they measure between recovery and the new onset of symptoms or new positive test so that doesn't include the pre-symptomatic phase immediately after exposure.

Konstantin posted:

Plus, the article says that a lot of the spread is due to private gatherings, and a prohibition on them is nearly impossible to enforce, no way the cops will break up Thanksgiving dinner. Even the restrictions that can be enforced will probably be ineffective, when my city started a mask mandate the chuds responded by just driving out of town when they wanted to go somewhere.

Cops in Australia were more than happy to bust up parties, in some cases handing out a whole bunch of fines totalling more than $20,000. We also had a hotline were people could dob someone in for holding an illegal gathering. :v:

cosmo sex tip
Sep 26, 2005
contains sodium borate, xanthan gum, sucrose stearate, glucose, glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase, and fragrance.

our local children's hospital announced today that due to our normal hospitals being so overtaxed with COVID patients they are going to start accepting patients up to 26 years old

this is fine and normal everything is super cool, no reason to close the bars or anything

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Knormal posted:

I thought vaccination immunity was supposed to be the same or worse than post-infection immunity? A year would be great, though I suspect still not long enough to let it burn out through the unvaccinated masses.
Some speculation I've seen is that it may be better, since it's simulating a bad infection but wihout wrecking your body first. Pfizer and a few others are on record basically promising at least a year, and a year makes boosters a lot less of a logistical challenge. Honestly I think it will be a lot more durable, as immunity is with SARS, but we can't know for sure without time.
Reinfection is possible but, so far, apparently isn't common. That's not surprising, immunity is never 100%.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Saros posted:

With summer it's getting easier so the hardest time, the time when they managed almost complete suppression was the winter time where the rest of the world is completely failing. You've got it backwards. By the time NZ/aus summer is over there will be a vaccine available to assist the current containment efforts.

Australia will be rewarded by being last in line for vaccines.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Phew, only 148,000 new cases today, sure seems like the Greatest Country on Earth has this thing under control, in the bag, and around the corner. under the ground, in the bag, around the coroner

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The U.S. has “this” in the bag, where “this” is vulnerable populations and the bag is the one used to drown kittens.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

eggyolk posted:

Phew, only 148,000 new cases today, sure seems like the Greatest Country on Earth has this thing under control, in the bag, and around the corner. under the ground, in the bag, around the coroner

Worldometers.com has it at 162,149: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

That's a 27% increase over last Monday's total of 127,414. If the rest of the week also sees a 27% increase over last week then the US will easily clear 200k/day in a few days.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Faroe Islands (pop 50k) are going pretty strong at 497 cases, 494 recoveries, and 0 deaths. They had it eliminated by April, saw a resurgence during the big national festival in July, and are well on track to wipe it out again. In part due to being an island nation with easily enforcable borders, and in part due to getting testing infrastructure online before ever seeing their first case.

Dunno how much you wanna count that, as it's a small population, but I like making people aware they exist. It is also the nation with the most Nobel Laureates per capita, one Niels Finsen.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CNN tracked down this nurse for an interview:
https://twitter.com/NewDay/status/1328319845012824065

There's pretty much gently caress-all anyone can do to combat that issue right now

https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/1328422178648371203

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

This is 100% Trump's fault.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
That outbreak in South Australia has now increased to 23 cases:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-17/more-cases-added-to-northern-adelaide-coronavirus-cluster/12891846
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-17/coronavirus-australia-live-news-covid19-update/12889548

They immediately closed 5 schools in the area, tested thousands of people, extended quarantines (for free) for everyone in the quarantine hotels where the outbreak started, kicked contact tracing into high gear and restricted travel to other states.

E: looks like the outbreak started via fomite transmission

quote:

He said the virus was transferred to a cleaner at the Peppers Waymouth medi-hotel "via a surface" and that they believe she infected two security guards but none were symptomatic.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 17, 2020

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
People denying Covid exists. . . while dying of Covid?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
One of the hardest lessons I've had to learn in my life: people don't want to know the truth, they want affirmation of what they already believe. All the facts and figures in the world won't change fact that people want to be lied to, and the slicker the salesman the better.

And as we can see, people will spit fire and denial to their literal dying breaths, desperate to hear those sweet, sweet lies.

Disgusting.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Kerning Chameleon posted:

One of the hardest lessons I've had to learn in my life: people don't want to know the truth, they want affirmation of what they already believe. All the facts and figures in the world won't change fact that people want to be lied to, and the slicker the salesman the better.

And as we can see, people will spit fire and denial to their literal dying breaths, desperate to hear those sweet, sweet lies.

Disgusting.

These people know. They show up in the hospital and are given a positive result while they watch their oxygen dive and they know. They realize in that moment that everything they believed about this disease was a lie and that not only does that mean they are going to die because of their stupidity, but if they were wrong about this they were wrong about all the other beliefs that exist in the same venn diagram which means they are a horrible person. Their brain short circuits because very few people are strong enough mentally to accept something of that magnitude and they double down. They become angry. They reach and grasp for anything else that would allow them to not have to admit this to themselves, but all the while deep down they know and the fear ramps up exponentially until they are put under to go on a vent.

As horrible as that sounds I don't have an iota of sympathy. It's a good thing I am not a health care provider because I would probably whisper something to that effect into their ears right before they went under. gently caress those people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t know how I could reconcile “do no harm” with “do your best to give his unrepentant monster a second lease on lie”.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SamuelAAdams/status/1328464602510872577

Oof.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Platystemon posted:

Australia will be rewarded by being last in line for vaccines.

Naw, being a rich 1st world country has some perks.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's pretty much gently caress-all anyone can do to combat that issue right now

https://twitter.com/RespectableLaw/status/1328422178648371203

... Let them eat covid?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
If the healtcare workers' mental health wasn't suffering from this, nothing of value would be lost.

These patients are 100% responsible for their own suffering and I feel 0 empathy for them. I'd even go so far to say these people should be triaged out in favour of others who wore masks and acted responsible and still caught this illness. But you can't really know the latter. So just triage the deniers out anyway.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
I don't understand the US system - why don't health insurers deny claims where they find people who broke COVID rules got infected? If it's provided through employers, why don't they suspend coverage for unsafe workplaces?

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Xaintrailles posted:

I don't understand the US system - why don't health insurers deny claims where they find people who broke COVID rules got infected? If it's provided through employers, why don't they suspend coverage for unsafe workplaces?

Oh they will find a way to not pay out. But it's not meant to be a preventative measure.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Xaintrailles posted:

Suspending coverage for unsafe workplaces would only serve to punish ordinary people forced to work.

My brother-in-law is a huge CHUD and owns a small grocery store. He never wears a mask and even before covid got sick CONSTANTLY because of his poor hygiene and diet. He doesn't tell anyone to wear a mask when they enter the store and doesn't enforce occupancy restrictions or anything.

If one of his employees gets sick I don't think they should be denied coverage just because he's dumb as hell, they're just forced to work to make ends meet.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xaintrailles posted:

Wow, you really don't understand the US system. Their aim isn't to provide health care, it's to generate higher premiums. Can't do that unless a certain percentage of the customers get partially cured!

See also: research companies that lost a ton of money because they discovered an actual cure for a disease which cut treatment times way down: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/gilead-cured-hepatitis-c-thats-become-its-biggest-problem-2017-02-08
(They solved the problem by pricing the Hepatitis C cure just below the cost of the alternative treatment, a liver transplant.)

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
i almost wish another country would take us over.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

MasqueradeOverture posted:

gently caress me I'm autistic...

Someone at work told me in March to invest in Moderna when their stock was $20. Was skeptical so I never did it. They list at $97 now. Goddammit.

Moderna market cap: 38B

Novavax market cap: 5.5B

Hint hint.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/11/will-small-long-shot-us-company-end-producing-best-coronavirus-vaccine

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Betteridge’s Law says I shouldn’t invest in Novavax.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Still waiting on Canada to unleash their goose hordes...

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Someone insisting it's not real as they cough up their own lung should absolutely be quarantined in a room and left to die, unless the doctors have surplus equipment and nothing else to do.

Their continued existence is actively harmful to society in an emergency situation.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
I'm dealing with a situation like that now with a close family member. They wanted to bring their SO's sister and 3 year old son over for Thanksgiving, but everyone else resisted that idea. It turned into a huge argument and - to my surprise - finding out they were something of a COVID-truther.

Me: "Having them over could be dangerous due to possible exposure. Why risk it?"
Them: "What's the difference between that and me going out to work every day?"

Me: "You going out IS a risk, but you take as many precautions as possible - this isn't something that needs to happen to make ends meet."
Them: "Fine, we (them and the SO) will go to her house and come back."
Me: "That puts you at risk for exposure then, followed by us. Cases are spiking pretty fast now and it's about to get much worse around the holidays."
Them: "You know they're fudging the numbers..."

Them: "I don't even have it!"
Me: "How do you know? Have you been tested?"
Them: "I just know!"
Me: "Let's all get tested to be sure."
Them: "I can't afford it!"
Me: "It's free and just down the road."
Them: "If I get tested, I'll be fired!"

And on and on until they left in a huff. It's really wild and came pretty much out of left field. They aren't right-wing in any other way, just suddenly they're spitting out talking-points like they are. It's tough because I honestly don't know how to safely handle this - they're an adult and can make their own stupid decisions, but not if they're going to hurt the rest of the family.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

HexiDave posted:

Huh???

My states hospitalizations doubled in 2 weeks.

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 17, 2020

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

If it had been on the ballot "should your state leave the US and become a province of Canada, NZ, Germany, Australia, or any of the Scandinavias" I'd have marked yes. Like they'd have us :(

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm doing my own Thanksgiving this year. My parents haven't asked me to come over yet but I'm just assuming they will. I bought a turkey breast and some boxed stuffing and other stuff that'll make it super easy for a broke brained bachelor but still somewhat thanksgivingy. I invited my friend over but he doesn't know what's going to happen either. His mom really wants to have it but he and his dad think it's a bad idea.

There is going to be a TON of travel this year. They even said about 50% air travel and I swear I read somewhere that they're still expecting like 90% car travel. :suicide:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Well on the plus side, most people are going to have to spend less money on Christmas presents this year

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This is 100% Trump's fault.
Yeah, are there reports like this from other countries? I realize most places are loving up covid pretty bad, but the whole "doubting the disease even as their lungs fill with jello" thing seems only to be possible in an environment with an aggressively denialist cult leader like ours. I literally can't imagine how he could have hosed things up more, short of sending in the military to force people to congregate indoors or something.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Zugzwang posted:

Well on the plus side, most people are going to have to spend less money on Christmas presents this year
Yeah, are there reports like this from other countries? I realize most places are loving up covid pretty bad, but the whole "doubting the disease even as their lungs fill with jello" thing seems only to be possible in an environment with an aggressively denialist cult leader like ours. I literally can't imagine how he could have hosed things up more, short of sending in the military to force people to congregate indoors or something.

It's happening in other countries, pretty sure Germany just had an anti-lockdown protest a couple weeks ago. It's just not as huge because they don't have the ruling political party telling them it's a hoax.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Zugzwang posted:

Here in Manitoba one of the biggest spreaders is the hardcore religious groups that the conservative government courts and protects for their votes

Just yesterday they said contact tracing won't work because the spread is in communities too much

They rolled back a measure of you aren't allowed to visit people outside of your household because they said it would be too hard to enforce

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

My wife and I already canceled Thanksgiving and Christmas with any family. The situation for the midwest will not get better during the winter. We have locked down hard and don't intend to gently caress around and find out.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

HexiDave posted:

Why on Earth would this be the case? I never liked management types, but now I'm convinced most of them are sociopaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
gather around thread, i have a story of COVID SHAME, straight from the midwest...

My little brother is at a fairly rural university with a roommate and their girlfriends living in the house. This roommate tested positive mid-last week for Covid. My brother felt like poo poo but came out negative. Three days after testing positive, this roommate and his girlfriend went into the big city to eat and stayed at a fuckin' hotel. So there is countless wait staff and I assume many other people that this guy just went and superspread'ed all over, even though he knew he was positive.

just a massive droning "whaaaaaaattttt tttheeee fuuuuuuuuucccckkkkk"