Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

FBS posted:

My T7 test ride is scheduled for the same day that my RTX 3080 gets delivered.

I've been waiting two months to build a new PC b/c of the video card shortages, and now it looks like even the new AMD cards will be in very short supply when they come out. My inner nerd cries out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

FBS posted:

Dang Yamaha is bringing the MT-09 SP to the US finally https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/hyper-naked/models/mt-09-sp

$1600 more gets you a more-adjustable KYB fork, an Ohlins shock with remote preload, cruise control, and :black101: black anodized inner fork tubes :black101:

drat that's really tempting

*edit*
except I don't care for the mirrors, too high up and look like bug antennae? But then again my mirrors just show me my elbows, so maybe function over form is the right approach

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 13, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I put *extremely* dorky mirror extenders on my bike, because they work.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

epalm posted:

Anyone ridden a Ténéré 700? Or is it not "out" yet except for BS magazine reviews?

it's out, but yeah you're not gonna get to ride it unless you buy. I looked at them in person briefly when I was considering buying ANOTHER gd bike, but I passed for now as I'm considering a norden instead

it looks like it does a lot of things right that no one besides KTM is doing currently for the middleweight adv bikes. I seriously doubt honda's 850 offering will be under 475 claimed since they like building super heavy, low powered bikes for whatever raisin

like i said before. if I was in the market for a middleweight adv bike right now, I'd get a t7 over a 790 for sure. buying a first gen motor is stupid, especially when it is KTM's lol

might wanna wait for the norden to be out in 2021 or w/e though, cause that will be a fantastic (looking) bike with a much more refined lc8c

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

epalm posted:

Anyone ridden a Ténéré 700? Or is it not "out" yet except for BS magazine reviews?

I test ride one a few weeks ago.

I have an XSR700 (which shares the engine) but it felt big, heavy, and they had tuned out a lot of the character of the engine. They ‘fixed’ the low speed snatichiness that’s been an issue with the engine forever, but it felt a bit flat.

Ultimately, I found it somewhat dull and unexciting.

I plan to do another test ride on one when COVID/weather turns for the better, but I’m not holding my breath.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

MomJeans420 posted:

drat that's really tempting

*edit*
except I don't care for the mirrors, too high up and look like bug antennae? But then again my mirrors just show me my elbows, so maybe function over form is the right approach

Bar ends look really nice on my MT09 and have the bonus of actually letting me see a bit behind me without half elbow

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

moxieman posted:

My local dealer is getting exactly one, and he said he’d only sell it this Fall under the condition that it gets to stay on the showroom floor until March.

t(-_-t)

Jfc, I’m just never buying a new bike am I.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I was there asking about an xsr700, which he was very sure had been discontinued for 2020, until I asked him to look it up in his catalog.

This was the owner of the dealership.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
You guys do wheelies?

What’s the goon consensus on doing wheelies?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Never saw the appeal tbh

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

Never saw the appeal tbh

I am diagnosing you with Low T

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Rolo posted:

You guys do wheelies?

I’ve never done one on purpose and frankly am too chicken poo poo to do so. Personally I think doing them around people or dangerously (yes that’s a bit loaded) isn’t okay but I’m not fundamentally opposed to them. I wish I knew how to do them and control them though, if you do know then I’m a little envious.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I ask because I never have but I want to learn.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Practice with a bicycle. No joke.

Prepare to ruin at least one set of head tube bearings too until you drop the front soft enough.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 15, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah but mostly only in the dirt or off-road. It’s much more fun to crank big wheelies in the dirt where if you lose it you just get dirty and have to pick your bike up rather than on the street where you can do real damage and get tickets and road rash and all that bullshit.

My street wheelies when they do happen tend to be lifting the wheel an inch or so under hard acceleration but I never try to do big ones or ride them out on the street.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dirt wheelies are slow and cool and stunty, you don't care about dropping the bike and the geometry and wheels etc are made for it.

Street wheelies are either clutch ups at low speed (terrifying, can't do) or the front coming up under power (super fun, always do). The latter coming out of a corner is an amazing sensation that makes you reevaluate what you think you know about physics.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I really want to learn clutch-up wheelies but I don't know if I can talk myself into doing it on the nice street bike I bought new which is still in excellent condition.

My bike will do the tiniest power wheelies and it is a fascinating sensation

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I don’t want to wreck my somehow still perfect R3 but I do want experience having the power to bring up the front a little without clutching in second. Maybe it’s time I got an MT07?

Yeah I should probably get an MT07.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Every bike can wheelie. The biggest wheelies I can manage come from my 90cc, 8hp Suzuki RV90.

Like 12 o’clock, slide off the seat wheelies

Part of that is because they can be done at walking speed on that bike whereas on the SV650 it would be an entirely different story

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

You guys do wheelies?

I used to do them all the time and luckily I never got hurt. I gave them up after I had my daughter because riding is already dangerous and I don’t want to add to it with a child at home. Also I realized it’s more of a thing to do to impress other people and so me putting myself in that situation to impress other people didn’t appeal to me anymore.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Every bike can wheelie.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Time for some classics:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
Teach McNeil on a 1976 r90:

https://youtu.be/MGFuiqfI1ZU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fixed

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

wheelies are cool, do 'em whether it's an inch or a mile; wheelies are wheelies.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I can power wheelie though I don't do it often, but I absolutely suck at clutch ups. I had one track day on a DRZ-400SM and then one quick ride on the street and I feel like I can get the wheel up on that bike easier than the Daytona for some reason. Though I'm also pretty respectful of the throttle as the PO looped the bike twice.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I never understood the complaint that you can’t wheelie the DRZ’s. Mine was easy as hell

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Wheelies were super easy on my 701, haven't tried yet on my Energica Ego.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

I can power wheelie though I don't do it often, but I absolutely suck at clutch ups. I had one track day on a DRZ-400SM and then one quick ride on the street and I feel like I can get the wheel up on that bike easier than the Daytona for some reason. Though I'm also pretty respectful of the throttle as the PO looped the bike twice.

'for some reason' lmfao

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Assuming I had awesome throttle control shouldn't it be easier on the bike with 3x the power? It's definitely easier to accidentally wheelie the Daytona if you gave both bikes to a new rider. I just find the DRZ easier because you can be more hamfisted without fear of looping it.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

MomJeans420 posted:

I can power wheelie though I don't do it often, but I absolutely suck at clutch ups. I had one track day on a DRZ-400SM and then one quick ride on the street and I feel like I can get the wheel up on that bike easier than the Daytona for some reason.

My DRZ on the stock carb with a jet kit and full exhaust was easy to lift in third with the clutch. I have a flatslide carb in it now and it'll lift in 4th.
crappy old video of it pre-flatslide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXOzYP09Qow

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

Assuming I had awesome throttle control shouldn't it be easier on the bike with 3x the power? It's definitely easier to accidentally wheelie the Daytona if you gave both bikes to a new rider. I just find the DRZ easier because you can be more hamfisted without fear of looping it.

Nope. Power is basically the least important part of the equation. The drz has an engine which is much gruntier down low and with much shorter gearing, has a relatively high COG/short wheelbase, bouncy suspension with loads of travel and is designed to bring the wheel up on command.

The daytona is long and now and designed to resist wheelies and instability at all costs, has a very peaky engine and long gearing for good speed on the straights. I'm sure I've done an effort post on torque curves that explains all of this but cbf tracking it down.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah you take an already high COG bike and raise the COG even more by sticking a human on top of it and it’s wheelie city

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Im amazed when I see people trying wheelies without squishing the suspension first. Letting the suspensions upward rebound assist in lifting the front tire made the world of difference for me when learning. Maybe its more of a dirt thing but it helped things click when I started.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah you take an already high COG bike and raise the COG even more by sticking a human on top of it and it’s wheelie city

I mean and just the seating position. You're sitting bolt upright on a DRZ and if you lean back a bit you'll put your CG over the rear wheel. A Daytona has all your weight on the front and you're limited in how far back you can shift it by the length of your arms.

It's much easier for me to wheelie my CL350 than the Hawk for the same reason, despite the Hawk having about twice the power.

MomJeans420 posted:

Assuming I had awesome throttle control shouldn't it be easier on the bike with 3x the power?

No, it's all about the weight and balance. Consider that you can wheelie a bicycle, which has approximately 0.3 horsepower.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 17, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

oh yeah I had forgotten about the whole riding position thing, I haven't been on a DRZ in a long time, I should swap bikes with my buddy this weekend.

I should go practice clutch ups again too, I rarely bother to actually go practice versus just trying once or twice while going down the street. I still think my highest wheelie was learning how to ride on the Daytona and spazzing out from a stop at a stop sign.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Doing wheelies to me is like going jumps on a snowboard. If I can get a little bit of air under the board/wheel without faceplanting, it counts and I'm happy, and that's really all I need.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
I have nowhere to practice wheelies hence don't do them, but motards are fantastic for stoppies which can easily be achieved whilst sticking to the speed limit.

I wish I had the space and opportunity to take the DRZ out and practice wheelies but all I do is commute in busy-ish <60km/h zones, which is quite limiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I've done a wheelie exactly once when my ex wife pillion leant back a little instead of leaning forward when I took off from a set of lights a little aggressively to get ahead of traffic. Front wheel came up a few inches until I backed off and it came down lightly. No fuss, I was just slightly annoyed at the time. I've no interest in doing it again, on a road bike. If I ever ride a dirt bike that's a different story. I can understand how having more control over how much pressure is on the front wheel is a relevant part of riding on non tarmac surfaces, or dealing with logs and rocks and poo poo on trails.