Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda 2: The Voyage Home. Using a stolen Kett spaceship, Ryder and crew must travel back in time to bring Shepard into the future, so that s/he can sing to an alien probe and make it go away.

(This started out as a 'Homeward Bound' talking animal movie joke, then turned into a completely different reference.)

You know, a kind of Odyssey/voyager esque journey back to the milky way could be kinda cool though.

Maybe they discovered how to build mass relays again and are bringing the tech back with them or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Whatever it is will be stupid and a waste of everyones time

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Yeah of course but will it fuel good shitposts

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I still don’t see the problem with using Andromeda again. There was nothing wrong with ME:A’s premise, it was the execution that was left wanting. There’s so much you can do there, especially since we’ve only seen one cluster.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
ME1's galaxy was way more compelling to me. A well established human presence in a diverse, populated alien world. Lines up better with what I want (wanted) out of a Bioware game.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Or get like, Solaris weird with intelligent alien life

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Lines up better with what I want (wanted) out of a Bioware game.

(Kotor 3 10)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hinestly after what Obsidian did with Kotor 2 I never wanted Bioware to go back to that setting.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hinestly after what Obsidian did with Kotor 2 I never wanted Bioware to go back to that setting.

To be fair, though, when the head development guy says in an interview that his primary thought when creating a game in a specific setting is that he hates that setting and the characters associated with it, maybe that's not the right guy to be put in charge of making a game in that setting.

KOTOR2 is a brilliant and original game in many respects, but it is a game based around "What if Star Wars was nothing like Star Wars?"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

2 > 1 imo, but I liked each entry for what it was.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I never players KOTOR2 but I skimmed a good LP of it that cut the filler, showed the cut content, and let the party dynamics show. Better than playing it. I did play KOTOR1 and the reveal was so good I still have fond memories despite remembering nothing else about the game

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i think what you're calling filler is half the reason i play rpgs. "better than playing it"

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
The KOTOR2 LP on the archive is an excellent distillation of what makes it good media. Kind of like a good movie commentary track, especially with how it curated the cut content.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Koror 2, especially now with all the cut content mods and workshop support, is head and shoulders above Kotor 1. And Kotor 1 is a classic.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Kotor 2 was written with a ton of stuff they expected some QC suits at Lucasarts to read and demand they change it to fit the "star wars" canon and when no one said anything they went ahead with the game as written. It was as close as revisionist OC Star Wars fanfic as it could get.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Woolie Vs let's play is also fantastic.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Milky Way galaxy but now you can build relays to completely unexplored areas would be the best of both worlds galaxies: you have the established universe, but you can explore places and find new Civs that never were part of the relay network

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DarkHorse posted:

Milky Way galaxy but now you can build relays to completely unexplored areas would be the best of both worlds galaxies: you have the established universe, but you can explore places and find new Civs that never were part of the relay network

Even before the ending of ME3 this would have been a good direction for the sequel. There are a ton of inactive and dormant mass relays in the Milky Way galaxy, someone messing up and opening a portal to the Nightmare Nebula is a great premise.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I always imagined they left that intentionally blank. It’s never clear exactly how much of the Milky Way is presently part of the citadel’s network, or if multiple citadels existed in the Milky Way to act as Reaper hubs, or how the council society handled further exploration and settlement.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
After the Rachni Wars the Council stopped opening up new Relays which is why the Turians poo poo their pants when humans managed to activate their own relay.

As far as I know the games haven't said anything about the Terminus Systems having a similar policy, so maybe they're still expanding out there.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I hope they open up a mass relay to the star wars galaxy

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I hope they open up a mass relay to the star wars galaxy

and out come THE AVENGERS

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

After the Rachni Wars the Council stopped opening up new Relays which is why the Turians poo poo their pants when humans managed to activate their own relay.

As far as I know the games haven't said anything about the Terminus Systems having a similar policy, so maybe they're still expanding out there.

If I'm not mistaken, the Terminus systems sorta follow the same "don't open new relays" doctrine even if not following Council law. They just wanna chill and be space pirates, not summon Cthuhlu. I liked in ME2 how loving everyone in those systems was like "yea, that relay is scary af, we never use it!" in regards to the collector relay.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
one of the weird things in ME is that there aren't more giant spaceguns. like the krogan were apparently the only ones smart enough to build mass driver emplacements in the history of forever, but i still would have expected the Turians to have made their top secret moon base just a giant gun.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Admiral Ray posted:

one of the weird things in ME is that there aren't more giant spaceguns. like the krogan were apparently the only ones smart enough to build mass driver emplacements in the history of forever, but i still would have expected the Turians to have made their top secret moon base just a giant gun.

true but there is one more: the reason you find the derelict reaper in ME2 is by calculating the trajectory of an ancient errant mass driver shot that left a huge visible scar on a planet in ME1

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A scar which is noticeably absent on the planet in ME2's probing minigame.

The thanix cannon is a sort of mass driver thst the turians made but humans and krogans are the ones who build their stuff around big guns. Human dreadnought like the Everest follow the halo UNSC design philosophy of big gun with engines.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Before ME3 came out I thought that was going to be the logical endpoint of the reaper conflict -- all the galactic races hotwiring the mass relays into superweapons.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Arcsquad12 posted:

A scar which is noticeably absent on the planet in ME2's probing minigame.

The thanix cannon is a sort of mass driver thst the turians made but humans and krogans are the ones who build their stuff around big guns. Human dreadnought like the Everest follow the halo UNSC design philosophy of big gun with engines.

remember when they looked at the awesome Thanix Cannon in ME2 and were like "hmmm, how can we make this lame" and instead made it a Thanix ... missile??? in ME?

exquisite tea posted:

Before ME3 came out I thought that was going to be the logical endpoint of the reaper conflict -- all the galactic races hotwiring the mass relays into superweapons.

I figured that a combination of a. having to slowboat in from dark space, b. Milky Way races getting juuuuust far enough ahead technologically because of Sovereign's delay and c. Your Choices would have led to the Reapers being weak enough to defeat, but I guess they needed space magic :(

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 21, 2020

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
I think the best way to fight the Reapers using the relays would have been to actually draw them towards a mass relay then blow the thing up. like if in the arrival DLC you waited until just after the Reapers got to the system then hit it with the big rock. boom, like 98% of all reapers gone right then.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

40 hours into my new Andromeda play through, and I’m greatly enjoying it. I find I’m enjoying the Angara more and more. I’m enjoying the party members and Drack is probably my favorite Krogan, even over Wrex. He’s not an rear end in a top hat and him and Jaal bond pretty quick.

I also read the book Nexus Uprising and really enjoyed it. It does a good job of leading into Andromeda and setting up the important characters there. I actually found I couldn’t put the book down because it starts with a red alert emergency, and just keeps escalating. The book has poo poo pressed to 11 almost the whole time, and aside from one possibly minor but super lovely character, everyone’s motives are relatable and there’s really no bad guys.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

chaosapiant posted:

40 hours into my new Andromeda play through, and I’m greatly enjoying it. I find I’m enjoying the Angara more and more. I’m enjoying the party members and Drack is probably my favorite Krogan, even over Wrex. He’s not an rear end in a top hat and him and Jaal bond pretty quick.

I also read the book Nexus Uprising and really enjoyed it. It does a good job of leading into Andromeda and setting up the important characters there. I actually found I couldn’t put the book down because it starts with a red alert emergency, and just keeps escalating. The book has poo poo pressed to 11 almost the whole time, and aside from one possibly minor but super lovely character, everyone’s motives are relatable and there’s really no bad guys.

source ur quotes

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

chaosapiant posted:

there’s really no bad guys.

thrilling

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

oof

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I had a good time with Andromeda but the Angara are just nothing but dead weight for the entire plot. Everything about them plus the scourge is garbage terrible even the little hints you get about the kett society and empire are way more interesting then anything Angaran. The Roekarr/evil Angaran guy was genuinely dumb as poo poo for a plot device even compared to some of the braindead ideas that were also signifcant quests in the game waaah! I want to have a baby as society is crumbling so I'll steal a ship and hop from planet to planet trying to hide from everyone

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

chaosapiant posted:

After reading your “actually, the last season of GoT was good” and “I have faith GRRM will finish the series takes” I can’t decide whether I’m jealous that you live in such a world of child-like wonder or that you’ve taken in so many with this gimmick.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Drone Jett posted:

After reading your “actually, the last season of GoT was good” and “I have faith GRRM will finish the series takes” I can’t decide whether I’m jealous that you live in such a world of child-like wonder or that you’ve taken in so many with this gimmick.

It must be weird seeing someone with his own opinions who also doesn’t like to whine on the internet. Crazy, I know!

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

chaosapiant posted:

It must be weird seeing someone with his own opinions who also doesn’t like to whine on the internet. Crazy, I know!

I see people shouting these sorts of opinions from urine stained alleyways downtown all the time, though!

Drone Jett fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 22, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
We're all just jealous that you got another good Mass Effect.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Admiral Ray posted:

Notably, that planet is literally Mars (not in-universe, but it uses a photographic skin and Valles Marineris is the "scar")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

lol