Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Come on let's get that tie back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Let's not force ties eh? It's cool if it's special and occasionally useful but so far both ties resulted in severe glitching and derailing, which might result in uh, less than desirable outcome.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Regallion posted:

Let's not force ties eh? It's cool if it's special and occasionally useful but so far both ties resulted in severe glitching and derailing, which might result in uh, less than desirable outcome.
Yeah, I think we should be trying to avoid ties rather than causing them.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Fair enough, wasn't suggesting we try to rig it - just hoped it would be an outcome.

Would have voted black anyway cause we used silver last time, it seems to obvious and we risk becoming too reliant on it. Also because we do have a black blade so I dunno, seemed more appropriate. Also that voice from the silver mind seems a little too eager for us to ignore the black maybe?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Who to trust?
Silver - 12
Black - 9

...LOADING

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

...you turn your face from the dark, and let him pull you up from the stained carpet. Your eyes come clear with fear in focus. But he was there, a thin silver ice over that endless black below.

The Silver Mind posted:

One second of calm. Race down those neurons with me- feel the mushroom spore, the silver clean.

(WILL - I. Can. Do. This.) 18 - [5]+[6]+[4] = 15 - Success...

Even without your anxiety clouding the chosen impulse, it's hard to move yourself away from the pole. But you do. You stalk forward, hand pressed to your wound, rainy dawn eyes fixed on the goal. You didn't have to lose your cool. You didn't have to panic. You only had to bite once more; one more mouthful, and you'd see the truth that was behind all acts of divinity-

They were desperate, lucky, animal, bloody.

(STRENGTH - I. Will. Eat. You.) 18 - [5]+[6]+[5] = 16 - Success-

Your muscles were becoming soft, shivering. You force them to tense as you descend on the wounded horror, a shadow of gnashing teeth. You open wide, and target at what you know will win this- sewn into the spider's head, right above those bloodied fangs, was a lovely carton of fries in honor of its costume theme. The soul hid in the heart, but this was a corporeal effigy of the divine act; you'd eat the crown. But you had to hold it down.

(HEALTH - I. Will. Not. Puke.) 18 - [3]+[5]+[4] = 12 - SUCCESS.

6 damage!

Your teeth tear through the hot salty treat. Oh and there was a soft warm PRIZE at the bottom of this box. There is something that when nibbled forces seizure and scream from the horror, something that makes it AFRAID. You were going to win. But it was going to go down biting- a throne won without Tyranny had price.

(Spiderbite) 14 - [2]+[3]+[5] = 10 - Success.

Fangs slammed in, and didn't let go. They push through your wound, seizure making its legs skitter and claw and your teeth tore so fast-

4 damage!
HP: [ 0 / 18 ] [Pass-Out Risk!!]
FP: [ 10 / 14 ]

(Health - DO NOT PASS OUT.) 14 - [6]+[6]+[2] = 14 - Success.

Warm light airy silver over your mind as you detach, a ghost inside your own body. You were biting, biting, biting as hard as you could, hands ripping away cardboard and flesh and fries to eat sweet brainmeat, precarious silver glass a micron thick suspending your psyche over the gravity black below.

Did it hurt?
Yes.
Did it cost?
Yes.
Did it WORK?

Yes.

But it wasn't over yet. You slowly extricate the spider's fangs from your wound, moving stiff and bloodied. Blue was slapping and clawing the stage- was she cheering or screaming? You had to perform. You had to ritual. You had to be divine. Your third eye was open; you were airy empty light. You grasp each fang, and lean down with ritual beast intent, slow in your wounded state but certain. You pull up, up, up.

(Strength) 18 - [5]+[6]+[1] = 12 - Success.

They come loose at last, the spider making a pitiful sound. The crowd is screaming at you, dust and mist shivering gently with the wavecry. But they were screaming for more - Show us! Show us! You raise one fang, and slam it down into the half-eaten brain of the creature, its legs splaying out a final time before the pained creeping curl-up of death. You look at the crowd, the other fang gripped deathly tight. You bring it to your mouth, and take a final ripping bite.

(My Intent.) 18 - [6]+[4]+[5] = 15 - Success!
(My Might.) 18 - [2]+[3]+[1] = 6 - Great Success!!
(My Resilience.) 14 - [6]+[1]+[2] = 9 - Success.

You're crushing it with your grip. You're suckling nerves and slime. You're keeping it down to the last mouthful.

When that neverending minute passes, you fall to your knees and lose the ability to care through the burning of your mauled ribs. The spiders were cheering so loud it made your eyes rattle back and forth, and then there were hands, strong and clammy, pulling you up on either side, holding one of your arms up- victory.

What were they saying? Sounds excited. Haha. Full belly. You're being lain on the hard ground and there were so many spiders shouting. The sky iron cold. Where was the Sun? You wanted to smile at it... oh there it was. A round coppermelty mask, staring down at you, hand waving, fingers snapping, and you smiled- you had to when you faced the Sun. There was Blue. Oh, she was pointing down? Shouting. Waving her hands at the Sun. Hahahaha. You can't argue with it. All you could do was face it, and Blue was wisely conceding and going through her pretty pretty purse, pulling out the cutest needle and something flared in your cold neck and yOU WERE SCREAMING WIDE AWAKE THE ADRENALINE WAS RACING THROUGH A DYING BODY.

Blue's words fade in from the din as she holds your grasping hand. "-oney keep still, it's gonna be ok! Red's gonna help, she's gonna help and you need to be a good camper and just BREATHE for me so she can stop you fro-" the words fade out when the adrenaline overwhelms you and something is stabbed into your wound, injected with force- and then there was soft fire.

(Cauterize) 25 - [3]+[3]+[5] = 11 - Success.

3 HP restored!
HP: [ 3 / 18 ]
FP: [ 9 / 14 ]

Blue holds on as tight as she can, and you stare at the sky with hands held and mind blanking from the flame cleaning you out. Whatever was injected quickly cools it down, numbing your ribs. Your Counselors pull you up, trying to get you to move while waving to the overjoyed arachnids, quickly drag-walking you off the stage as it's swarmed- the deformed spiders tore into the body of the snack-filled loser with imitation of your own divine consumption, desperate to get a single lick of your blood trapped in its dead belly. Yet, by the time you reach the cafeteria building door and look back, nothing remained of the activity but a few scattered soda cans and wrappers at the base of the loudspeaker pole, which begins to play a new victory tune.

OST: The Silver Lining

(The Silver Mind) 11 - [1]+[5]+[2] = 8 - Success!

The Silver Mind posted:

There he was, standing in his tent, hands behind his back, spectacles off- smiling.

"I knew you could do it. I'm proud. The Silver Mind is not numbness - it's the decision to act mindful with every choice made, no matter how difficult, to let the vast infinite reflection ground you through this pain."

By psychic miracle, the Silver Mind keeps you suspended above your anxiety, resting some of the mental weight on the support of the two Counselors thinking about you. Red drags a chair out to sit you in while Blue paces back and forth with wide eyes. What little the Silver Mind felt bouncing off her thoughts was scintillating- seems her gooey resin was starting to take effect, along with a cocktail of anxiety, determination, and raw mania. She was about to tell you something that she hated. She knows that you know in the moment your eyes meet, and her smile was lovely beneath the patina of grime, burns, slime, makeup.

"Y'see, a good Counselor never lies, yeah? So when I said 'Black Crows always gonna win YEAH', well, what didja go and do?"

She winks and pats your shoulder. Her smile doesn't stop, even as she hesitates to keep speaking, glancing at Red's clipboard. "Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. You- well. It's real cool news, yeah? Cuz this is the deal, Camper. You? You are NUMBER ONE BEST CAMPER EVER!!!!!" She manages to shake you gently by the shoulders, but doesn't spare you the piercing scream of joy. Red claps as you're told "You are the first Camper to EVER GRADUATE FROM CAMP! An' you did it by winnin' ALL THREE OF YOUR GAMES IN A ROW! No fails, no test outs, no cheats, no doubts! You actually DID IT!!!!!"

You'd smile, but the best you can do in your adrenal shock state is shake your head a little and raise your hand in affirmation. Her starlight colors stain your silver, as you restlessly stand up and pace aimlessly with another adrenaline surge. Blue gently holds onto your tie. "Yeah yeah yeah! Get up! We- well, there's graduatin' ceremony to do last, ok? We're gonna go meet the Camp Director, and then it'll be all over!"

Red and Blue both hold a hand of yours and lead you through the dim grounds to the main cabin, to your hard-earned victory. Your eyes linger on the cafeteria, as your blurred eyes sight graffiti on the side; a yellow hyena, laughing with hidden pride.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

...LOADING

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I just wanted to take a moment to express my admiration for the writing and style. It's like some sort of half-remembered fever dream, and I mean that in a good way.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
And it’s really gross sometimes !

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

We just have to go meet the Camp Director "and then it'll all be over", huh? This isn't ominous at all. Not even a little.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

pumpinglemma posted:

We just have to go meet the Camp Director "and then it'll all be over", huh? This isn't ominous at all. Not even a little.

we're all in on finding that silver lining and preferably stripping it from the fixtures and running

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
The director almost has to be the huge spider monster that attacked when we arrived, given all the spider theming.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
I should not have read that update this close after dinner

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Razakai posted:

I just wanted to take a moment to express my admiration for the writing and style. It's like some sort of half-remembered fever dream, and I mean that in a good way.

Agreed, It really is amazing.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

One more encounter then we've survived the camp, huh.
One more game. One more round.
Since our two pals survived, maybe they can even lend us a hand with whatever the camp director will do?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

They did their best to support you, as the loudspeaker played its music on- was there the distant sound of applause? Your brain chemistry sloshed back and forth with volition, making you laugh as your burned ribs crackled and popped. Blue risks a hand to comfort your head, chanting it over and over- Black Crows always gonna win. Black Crows ALWAYS gonna win.

Always.

The Director's cabin was at the northmost point of the Camp. You were thankful none of the activities you picked forced you out into the surrounding wilds, content to only torment you closeby and inside a single day's nightmare.

(what was the witch's name what did she say? I miss her I miss you)

The building is two stories tall, sturdy with oak that hadn't tarnished like all the other rotted wood. The porch was lovely with an old rocking chair and sturdy screen doors. The colors within stun you, dim amber warmth from a desk light and little wood stove. There are bookcases with a hundred subjects near soft seats, a small reception desk by the stairs, and a number of side tables with pamphlets, stationary, maps, and educational booklets. Red guides you to a plush red leather chair, draping a blanket over your shaking body as she tends to the stove, which you notice was cooking coffee. The dark smell pierced your wounded senses. You couldn't feel your stomach... you were overfull, but numb.

Blue tip-toes to the reception desk, and leans over it to call up the stairs. "MR. WEST SIR. EY. WE HAVE A GRADUATE HERE FOR AN EXIT INTERVIEW! BOTH COUNSELORS ARE ALIVE TOOOO!"

She licks her lips, wiping some gunk off her face, and leans back to nod and wait with a vacantly relaxed smile.

You couldn't sleep, despite how worn out you were. The adrenaline was still too much. Red was busy with the coffee, pouring two cups and seasoning them with something from one of her hundred hidden tiny pouches. She saunters over, and squats down to insistently and cautiously press the cup to your hands. The Silver Mind flashed off of her- it's safe it's safe it's safe. Please, please. She's waiting as you stare into the cup, eyes drooping before snapping open killbright wide. You drink. You drink it. Red's scalded hand was at your shoulder, that blank face nodding erratic in approval. She hurries up to deliver the other cup to Blue, making sure she drinks as well, before the lull arrives. Blessed minutes of warm slow silence. The scent of the coffee and stove. The rustle of khaki shorts and brand new sneakers. Blue's nails over the countertop. The steady wheeze of your crinkling ribs drawing air.

You doze just a second, coffee finished and set aside. You feel Red's flowery hand jostle you slowly, and you're too cooked to react with fear. She helps you stand up, while Blue speaks upstairs again. "Yeah, they awake. Thanks for lettin' them rest, Mr. West. We're comin' up."

Blue smiles over her shoulder at you. She was much less manic, seeming to sublimate it into tapping nails and bouncing feet, her face dreamy-calmed. Neither said anything as they helped you stand, dusted you off, and then guided you to walk upstairs with them. There was the sound of a radio tuned to an empty station in the ascent. Blue was talking, and you were just coherent with silver enough to absorb her words.

"Camp Darin' was founded... what Red, 1950-ish? After Mr. West came back from the war."

She points at pictures on the wall as you walk up the stairs. The first was a young and hale man with a brilliant smile. But he had a horrible head wound in the photo, as though he had been shot through it.

"See, he'd seen a lotta things in the war. Stuff what weren't meant t'be seen. Places and plateaus, creepies and crawlies, stuff he was sayin' you'd be familiar with? Dunno! So he founds the Camp, right? He's been seein' things in his sleep. In the Dreamlands, he walked and got the prophecies. He knew stuff was gonna be going down in his life that'd make the war look POSH. Soooo..."

She jerks a thumb at a picture, while Red carefully holds your back and arm to walk you up the stairs. There was West, hands on his hips in front of the Camp Daring entrance. Again, smiling grand, despite his brains being blown out. Dozens of kids were standing there, cheering with sincere smiles. Pairs for every team- save for one. No Black Crows.

"...he put his trainin' and knowhow and monies into the Camp. He wanted to seed the future with kids who'd KNOW. Who could walk the Dreamlands. Make friends with the cats. Find a ghoul. Shoot down a UFO. Trepan a Shan. That kinda stuff. With all KINDSA cool fun activities an' exercises and all. Real brilliant stuff."

Pictures of activities. Challenges and books, songs and prayers, towers and troubles. West, brains blown to the sky, always with kindness in the eyes, award after award lining the ascent, as you walk up the stairs.

"But... I mean... it's sucha poo poo, ain't it Red?"

Blue smiles past you at Red, her eyeshadow starlight in the dark when she looks down on you, while you walk up the stairs.

"He got the attention of Stuff. He was just this guy! Smart, an' learned, really put through the wringer. Really thought he had a shot."

The pictures. Gummed with spiderwebs. Mr. West, with his brains blown out.

The radio static peaks into a feedback scream, before it warms out into crackly quiet. You reach the top of the stairs. Blue and Red hold you as you come up the last step, and into the office overlooking the Camp. From its vantage hundreds of feet up, you could see for miles around.

[Second third of the valley has been scouted. Map will update at end of this Quest.]

The windows were wide and round, the glass stained and crystal. Awards, glass cases, shelves, trophies, and much more tastefully adorn the space, leading to the mahogany desk and chair of Director West.

His skeleton greets you, the skull shattered and blown apart. On the desk rested a rust-dissolved revolver, and a single clean bullet. Next to it was an old radio, red and stylish, antennae jutting out to the side. It flickered yellow as it spoke to you and the Counselors,with a man's pleasant leather of tone.

("Hello, child! Hello, Counselors. I'm so happy you made it. Someone finally made it, and you all survived together. God Almighty, maybe you- maybe this is it. I- well I'm getting ahead of my compulsion, aren't I. I mean it though when I say 'congratulations' on your graduation and stellar performance. Camper, you showed unequaled courage, quick thinking, compassion, patience, and incredible will. You graduate with honors. And let me say, as, as a personal note of respect; I know my Counselors don't understand, but I see in the reflection of your silver that you were in a service of your own. I salute you for that time served, and I'm sorry.")

Your hand... what was it doing? You remember- yeah. You put your hand up, and salute. Yeah, Mr. West. You knew. Thanks. You couldn't have done it without your Counselors. Mr. West, why do we have to end this day? Mr. West, how much did it take away? Mr. West, what do you have to say?

("God I tried. I tried, I tried so hard, please believe me child. I didn't know what had found us. We were sending up flares with every dream we roamed and the lands- it was those ending days, and the Dreamnlands were come ALIVE. Oh what came down from the million mile wastes... but it was one of them, that found me. Found the children. Made my Camp into-")

There it was. That sound from last night- distant but strong. Shivering the bones. Oh God. It knew. It knew exactly where you were, and it was so angry. It was so ANGRY with your excellence of graduation. It hadn't eaten in so long and you were a bitter meal it'd spice with suffering you couldn't even begin to find the fear for. The Silver Mind flares in resonance with West's psychic presence, trying to shield you from the horrific certainty of the thing's angry awareness of where you are, and how you were going to die.

(The Silver Mind) 11 - [6]+[4]+[3] = 13 - Failure.

The thin silver ice finally gives. There is no sound. Just freefall into infinite black.

ANXIETY: [ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][ ! ][70%] [im weak and bleeding and sick and its going to kill me just like in a dream in a bad bad dream here it comes here comes the monster at the end to eat me]

Rictus grimace. Stiff animal clawing for the bullet on the desk, cramming it into your revolver. Sword? SWORD?! Red has it give it back you TEAR it away you NEED THAT it's going to eat your guts your sweet stuffed swollen guts gonna pluck them out and you wouldn't die and you were a fly in such a huge web HOW BIG WAS THIS WEB-

("CAMPER!")

You click the gun close, unblinking eyes fixating on the radio as the cabin begins to dangerously sway in the misty highwinds.

("At ease.")

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][60%] [Pan.]

("You've passed each test beyond all expectation. You're ready to end this. God will hate me for leaving it your responsibility, but it's all I can ask. But this is the grace I was given! Your Counselors can help you.")

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][50%] [?!]

You twist to look at Blue and Red, pitiful with hope. Can they? Can they save you? You won't die? You're not ALONE? Blue smiles in a way you haven't caught before, and you realize it's because she sees you smiling too. Those eyes- under the dazy druggy joymad was those words again, was last night again - You Will Survive.

You turn back to Mr. West's desk. You grab what's left of his skull, and stuff it in your pack. The tower was going to collapse soon, and you all felt it with a dream's certainty. You rush downstairs together in descent, your sword out wild. There was air in you now, working past the broken silver to buoy you alone outside the gravity's reach. That air was the feeling you had found in dreams before, where there was faces you didn't know, horrors you couldn't name, but with it was a sense of immensity and importance; CERTAINTY of what you were all to do- it came with the cry of children lost cheering you all on.

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][30%] [LIONHEART]

Black Crows always gonna win-
YEAH~!

You step out of the tower, as every soggy wood structure collapses endlessly into spiderpits the size of quarries. Trees and stone rot with spiderweb cracks, millions of the deformed mutants dragging their unliving limbs from the graves. But over them. Walking so slender eightfold eighttold eightcold long, ultraviolet soft giving it Radiance, webs cold as space descending to wet the trees with a great route-slowing snow. It climbed over the mist with its bulk, hairy hairy long and scary, testing your all as you look up and and up and up and you Understand.

(MY̴T̸HOS̡ H̶O͢RROR)(Will-10) 8 [6]+[4]+[1] = 11 - FAILURE!
Lionheart allows one last chance...
(M͢YTH͞O̧S H̨OR͠R͏OR)(Will-10) 8 [2]+[3]+[1] = 6 - Success?!

Veins bulge. Eyes sting-sing of Radiance. Oh it wanted so much more than just the idea of a soul it was of an order now broken gone but still POTENT.

But. You. Were. Stronger.

You stand resolute in the miststorm of spidersong. You sling you sword into and arc-point upward at the nightmare, and you challenge its divinity. Eightfold eyes within eightfold eyes look down from a hundred foot high, leaning with glacial slow to glare at your insolence. But with the certainty of the dream, you stood tall. You couldn't describe where this sudden lightness of being came from, with no silver or black to claim credit for it. But maybe it had to do with the purple of hue that was present between you-Red-n'-Blue.

Boss Fight Log! posted:

RED has joined your party!
[Lv. 30]
HP: 50 / 50
FP: 99 / 99

* !Flower of Ruin - 20
* !Witchcraft - 25

* TECHNIQUES
* Dirty Flame Brand
* Lotus Weave [Forbidden Art]
* Island Red Magic
* Sunsight [Forbidden Art]
* Overdrive
* Flare
* Cauterize
* Hellfire
* Sunburn
* Meltdown
* NUCLEAR [Ultimate Hell Art]

BLUE has joined your party!
[Lv. 50]
HP: 99 / 99
FP: 20 / 20

* !Snapfight - 30
* !Paradisio - 20

* TECHNIQUES
* I Need Backup!
* Starcrossed Kiss
* Island Blue Magic
* Seven Holy Dances
* The Colours of Paradise
* Fulgurant
* Wish I Might
* Probability
* Ultima
* Earthcutter
* Starlight Serenade~ [Ultimate Hell Art]

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

PLAYER CHOICE
Your Counselors are here to help you, Camper. Graduation isn't easy, but you might be the one to win West's Last Test. The Counselors won't take direct commands, but they will listen to a suggestion.

What's Red thinking?
How's Blue feeling?

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Despite all of this, I feel like Red is going to be much more helpful than Blue... But I'm really really worried.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Should i be concerned that ultima is just on a spellist of some rando?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
"Ultima" technique actually just prompts Blue to give an impromptu tier ranking of her favorite game franchise.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

well. Guess this is where the recommended level comes in.
I, uh. Yeah, I got nothin.
seems spiders of Leng got chased off in the mythos, but don't know how it was done or if whatever was done there would work here.
best hope for good rolls and glitchy moves, I guess? :shrug:

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
i voted pop witchcraft and roulette the spell. it prolly makes more sense to snapfight / paradisio and use a spell that actually will be helpful tho, if we want to win

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Holy poo poo. I’ll vote later, just... holy poo poo.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I doubt we are about to be happy camper.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Maybe paradisio is a heal/buff? Would be good to get over 3 hp cause that feels like instadeath from one attack range.
wtf devs who put an op boss this early, nerf plz

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Arcanuse posted:

well. Guess this is where the recommended level comes in.
I, uh. Yeah, I got nothin.
seems spiders of Leng got chased off in the mythos, but don't know how it was done or if whatever was done there would work here.
best hope for good rolls and glitchy moves, I guess? :shrug:

elder things probably sent their shoggoths on 'em

we have an army of shoggoths right?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Red has a wide enough range of techniques that one of them is likely to be better than her baseline attacks, and I trust her to choose something appropriate to the situation. For Blue we only have the option to go for a random technique - while her techniques sound powerful, this has the potential to go badly wrong. I agree that paradisio sounds like a heal/buff which we badly need right now, and she doesn't feel like a melee build so snapfight probably isn't great. So I'm voting "appropriate technique" for Red and paradisio for Blue. Next round I'll switch to random techniques for Blue.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

This isn't an early boss though, we just ended up way out of our comfort zone way too early.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Hodgepodge posted:

elder things probably sent their shoggoths on 'em

we have an army of shoggoths right?

Looks like it was the Men of Leng that did it by ???, in the end. Then moonbeasts happened.
Given I'm reasonably sure we aren't one of the men of leng (and there is only one of us anyways) we'll need to think of something else.
Come to think of it, the mythos wiki says the spiders of leng will go after whatever enters their territory, even other spiders of leng.
Since we did that idolatry challenge, maybe we could get some of the spider swarm to lend us a hand or eight if we do a repeat?
Though it's probably gonna be harder to start tearing into this spiders noggin than the one we dealt with before

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Incidentally i'm about 200% sure that Red is one of the guys in this image...
Blue is likely one of the backups of Dancer, although which one i'm not sure if we can discern.

This is moderately concerning.

That or we just met 2 people off THIS list, which is even more concerning

Regallion fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 18, 2020

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Don't think they happen to be one or two of the big bosses we have to face, but Red is almost certainly a follower of "Nuclear Witch" Burner.

Earlier at the Campfire posted:

That one, still holding a twig, looked more threatening. It wore a heavy red robe, stained with pitch and REEKING of gasoline, parts of it tied with flowers, little chains, runes, and other strange accessories. The hands were wrapped in a great deal of stained bandages. Its face was concealed, by both its hood, and the mask it wore - a warped metal disc with no holes in it at all. But you felt it staring at you, your sword aimed at them, as you feel the tension begin to ri-

"AHHHHHHHHHH BABE YER ON FIRE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!"

Eh? The manic woman points at the robed one, and you see that the twig has burnt down, and now was catching on the robe. The robed one stares down at its arm, and then begins to mildly panic, smacking at it while the woman does the same, as it creeps up the elbow and catches on a patch of something chemical staining the fabric. The spectacle continues as the woman shoves the robed one over, and begins to roll them in the grass. While screaming.
Less certain of Blue, but their behavior and what we've heard of Dancer/Dancer's Followers suggests she's one of them.

Was worried earlier we might have to face off with the duo given we're ostensibly hunting their bosses, and now we can compare levels really hoping there's a way around it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Arcanuse posted:

Looks like it was the Men of Leng that did it by ???, in the end. Then moonbeasts happened.
Given I'm reasonably sure we aren't one of the men of leng (and there is only one of us anyways) we'll need to think of something else.
Come to think of it, the mythos wiki says the spiders of leng will go after whatever enters their territory, even other spiders of leng.
Since we did that idolatry challenge, maybe we could get some of the spider swarm to lend us a hand or eight if we do a repeat?
Though it's probably gonna be harder to start tearing into this spiders noggin than the one we dealt with before

oh wait, there's a leng in the antarctic, but this is probably the leng of the dreamlands

iirc the men of leng weren't humans

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

This (plus the fact that she's only level 30) makes me think Red isn't Burner. And Blue doesn't seem to be hurt by dancing, so I don't think she's Dancer either. But they probably are members of the Burner cult and Dancer cult.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
while we're at it, the hunter's "martinet" sounds familiar, and iirc its followers were given the "freedom of tyranny"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

oh wait, there's a leng in the antarctic, but this is probably the leng of the dreamlands

iirc the men of leng weren't humans

Considering the camp founder mentioned the Dreamlands and a plateau several times, the first thing I thought of was the Plateau of Leng. So, did the spiders follow him from Leng, or did he accidentally build his camp on top of one of the survivors lairs?

I mean, I'll be very surprised if we survive this, but if we do pull it off and both Red and Blue survive... hey, maybe they'll spread word of our achievements to their fellow cultists and eventually we can peel off some supporters from Burner and Dancer to make our own cult. A Tyrant needs minions after all.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

This (plus the fact that she's only level 30) makes me think Red isn't Burner. And Blue doesn't seem to be hurt by dancing, so I don't think she's Dancer either. But they probably are members of the Burner cult and Dancer cult.

Keep in mind that i interpret the second list not as the names for the lords but as the name for their like, right-hand follower. So burner's top dog is "Nuclear witch".
Makes sense?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Regallion posted:

Keep in mind that i interpret the second list not as the names for the lords but as the name for their like, right-hand follower. So burner's top dog is "Nuclear witch".
Makes sense?

Or what you call a cultist/devotee

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Blue is gonna do a dance for you!
Red is going to use her techniques.

Boss Fight Log! posted:

You size up the enemy. You... you have no hope of winning this...
Blue sizes up the enemy. Easy-squeezy!
Red sizes up the enemy. Not an issue.

TURN ORDER: Blue - Red - Spider of Leng - You

OST: Scary Spooky Evil Mu-

"Nah nah nah nah nah. Naaaaaaaah."

Blue shakes her head and holds up the red radio she swiped from West's desk, now rested on her shoulder. She taps it a few times, tuning it to something more her pace for what's going down.

OST: Don't gently caress With Paradise

Boss Fight Log! posted:

Blue begins to move with the sevenfold motions of Paradise!

(!Paradisio) 20 - [3]+[2]+[6] = 11 - Success!

The land comes alive with scintillating ultrablack.
Ambient Mana is now Very High!
Ambient Sanctity is now Very High!
All Magic and Divine powers cost no HP/FP for the next 9 rounds, but any failures rolled will count as critical failures.

It comes out from where her feet step in time to the beat of the song, flowing liquid-swift into the grass and stone- they lose their hue, turning a soft velvety ultrablack. Where grass was disturbed or rock touched, colored light bled off. The trees shivered with midnight rainbows. Blue turns her cap backwards, tying off her shirt in a performer's show of complete unconcern for the radiant Spider. It makes an offended chitter at the powerful frivolity, especially when its army of mutant spiders involuntarily dance along, creating the sight of thousands of undulating limbs kicking up a storm of colored light against the dark canvas of the terraformed land.

Boss Fight Log! posted:

Red faces the Sun. Who can say what smile her mask hides?

(Meltdown) 18 - [4]+[1]+[4] = 9 - Success!

The Spider of Leng's atomic structure begins to heat up and shift out of balance! Bubbling froth bursts from its chitin, softening the carapace as it sloughs off in chunky sheets.

12 damage! Spider of Leng's DR is reduced to 0!

Precise mathematical motions are drawn in the air before Red, as the ultrablack stains her burned legs and feeds her fiery light. The equations of strong and weak nuclear force are applied to the variable of the Spider, the math clashing into a mess of invalid results, gently dissolving the Mythos creature's presence in existence. Its rock shell wouldn't save it now, and it didn't seem to like feeling its meat bubble and pop with heat.

Boss Fight Log! posted:

The Spider's eightfold fangs splay open in a sign of starvation as it looks down on you, looming almighty tall... but... but you weren't as big a danger as these two, it had no idea they were THIS, it had to- it looks down at the dancing Counselor, and gently reaches out to poke her spine with a bone-violating strand of its poison silk.

(Nervesilk) 18 - [4]+[4]+[3] = 9 - Success!

Lovely cold fleshsilk. Soft soft coldsilk. Ready to snake into her spine and worm into the discs to make the little little lady dance how it wanted her t-

It misses as Blue jigs around in her uncaring high.

The Spider stabs again. Misses. Stabs again. Another miss. Somehow, Blue simply isn't there when the Spider tries to poke her. The Lengborn monstrosity makes a very frustrated sound, giving you an opening!

Boss Fight Log! posted:

Your body was alight with the Paradisical power of the land, mind still in a dreaming high off of blood loss, medical drugs, and the pain of your cauterization. Your magic was so strong. Your midnight was calling.

(!Darkness) 14 - [3]+[3]+[3] = 9 - Success!

You could... put everything into this. EVERYTHING. Right to the very edge of death. Your blood begins to boil, but it isn't consumed- red light bleeds out of you instead, powering the sorcery as you command it to HURT this thing. Break it! MAKE IT PAY!

21 HP spent!
HP: [ -18 / 18 ] [COURTING DEATH]
HP paid back immediately!

You feel immense. You feel your body screaming with a pain that didn't make you afraid- it made you powerful powerful powerful. Bloodlight becomes gravity, midnight bearing down on the Spider. You, all you need to do is reach up, palming the gravity, your will a terrible shadow over this disgusting BUG. Your slam down and the Spider reacts as if a giant hand had grabbed it, crushing it into the ground, bringing it to face level with you, Red, and Blue. It fought against your strength with the rage of an elephant, but you were stronger! DID YOU SEE THAT NOW? YOU GREW FAT AND STUPID SUCKLING DREAMS OUT OF LITTLE SOULS. YOU GOT GREEDY, YOU LOST YOUR PATIENCE, AND NOW IT'S GOING TO COST YOU EEEVVVEERRRYYTHIINNNNGGGGG.

Boss Fight Log! posted:

Blue continues to dance with the sevenfold motions of Paradise!

(!Paradisio) 20 - [2]+[3]+[4] = 9 - Success!

The land comes alive with scintillating ultrablack! The colors bless you. +5 to all rolls until the end of this round!

You could see it... the flashing colorlights, the very blood of karma itself drenching the midnight land. It was probability in the visual, its spectrum coursing under you with a party-beat rhythm, the luck of the universe itself glossing your actions with certainty. Red, stoic as she's being, can't help but sway a little in time with the beat as she prepares her next technique.

Boss Fight Log! posted:

Red isn't loving around. She twists into a sudden martial stance, hands splayed out and whipping wild as the precise nuclear math is abandoned, and her witchcraft dips hands into something older than that- great sparks of gold-black flame ignite as she bends them with demonic motions. With a leaping kick-crouch, she points with two fingers, sending an arc of the soul-burning fire up in a lance at the Spider.

(Hellfire) 19 - [6]+[3]+[1] = 10 - Success!
20 HP spent!

20d6+20
95 damage!

Your body didn't feel the heat. Your SOUL did, and it recoils for fear of being melted away. The Spider was screaming, in pain it never expected to suffer, half of its body smouldering with the goldblack flames of Hell. It's driven into a frenzy, its arachnid nature now fully commanding it. It was going to hurt you, in the worst way it knew.

Boss Fight Log! posted:

Spider of Leng invokes the D͠ŗe̛a͝d C̷u̡rse͠ o͜f̷ th̢e̷ Go͜d͢.

(THE FIRST SYLLABLE) 10 - [2]+[2]+[2] = 10 - SUCCESS.

Will has been reduced by 4!

What did it- it .

ssaaid

_ The Name of

no no no you won't listen to that promise of the End you won't you're still you you're still
BLESSED BY THE SCINTILLATION
IT WASN'T ENOUGH
THE NAME WOULDN'T BE ENOUGH TO STOP YOU!

Boss Fight Log! posted:

YOUR FIST IS CLOSED AND WRAPPED WITH BLOOD.
YOU RAISE IT HIGH.

(!Darkness) 15 - [4]+[3]+[1] = 8 - Success!

21 HP spent!
HP: [ -18 / 18 ] [COURTING DEATH]

YOUR SWORD IS GUIDED WITH INTENT, WITH THE STRENGTH TO END.

(!Tyranny) Sword Strike! 17 - [2]+[3]+[3] = 8 - Success!

3d6+21
30 damage!

The dream doesn't end. That holy certainty was stronger in each second as you fearlessly stab your sword out, the black blade cast red with the blood of sacrifice, giving you obscene strength from your inner midnight. The blade is BURIED in a facet of the eightfold eyes, then ripped out to spill that cooling lavender ichor all over the ground, where it frosts the black grass. The Spider recoils from the strike with a cry that told you it was in great pain, and that made your roiling belly grow hot with hateful joy. But that Name- it was speaking a Name that would undo you, take you too close to thinking about what that Name meant, the zero-sum it would become. You can't let it speak the entire Name. This had to end, fast.

[Will reduced to 14!]

Black August fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 18, 2020

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

PLAYER CHOICE
Should the Spider speak the final syllable of the Name, it could cause permanent damage. So the best course of action is to...

Red?
Blue?
You?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
dont want permanent damage, better bust out the FoR