Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Hedenius posted:

My bet is a bunch of new “recommendations” that will do nothing to help.
Oh, look at that. I was 100% right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

teen witch posted:

on the other hand, Jul is going to be interesting
It's going to be more of the same, with the local equivalent of thanksgiving.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

It's going to be more of the same, with the local equivalent of thanksgiving.

oh that’s fairly damning

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Lars Sjunnesson seems to have gone off the deep end and is now full internet edgy racist.

His recent work is awful.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I noticed. Real shame. Åke Jävel remains a cultural icon though.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Also, going to the gym (while dousing everything I touch in disinfectant) and the library have been the only two things keeping my broken brain going since covid started. This is going to be rough.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
a general lockdown is unconstitutional (clashes with the guarantee of freedom of movement) so idk what people are expecting, really

the only exception i'm aware of is if the country is at war or at imminent risk of war, so i guess technically we could start a phony war against denmark to get around it. the swedish consitution is pretty interesting in this regard actually - there are no general provisions for emergency powers or martial law, but rather there's a huge number of specific regulations and special laws that are automatically activated in case of war.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 16, 2020

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

TheFluff posted:

a general lockdown is unconstitutional (clashes with the guarantee of freedom of movement) so idk what people are expecting, really

the only exception i'm aware of is if the country is at war or in imminent risk of war, so i guess technically we could start a phony war against denmark to get around it

Perhaps it's time to invade liberate Jämtland?

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

TheFluff posted:

the only exception i'm aware of is if the country is at war or at imminent risk of war, so i guess technically we could start a phony war against denmark to get around it. the swedish consitution is pretty interesting in this regard actually - there are no general provisions for emergency powers or martial law, but rather there's a huge number of specific regulations and special laws that are automatically activated in case of war.

All we get from conquering Denmark is Corona 2.0

We should invade Norway instead and steal their oil.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is it impossible to change the constitution?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Baudolino posted:

Is it impossible to change the constitution?

No, but you have to vote through an amendment, have a general election and then vote for the same amendment again to make it pass.

Sweden has one of the worlds weakest constitutions tbh.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 17, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

MiddleOne posted:

No, but you have to vote through an amendment, have a general election and then vote for the same amendment again to make it pass.

Sweden has one of the worlds weakest constitutions tbh.

Weakest in terms of what it does or weakest in terms of how easy it is to change?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

TheFluff posted:

Weakest in terms of what it does or weakest in terms of how easy it is to change?

Easy to change. Lots of countries put higher requirements for adjusting their constitution, especially more than a simple majority (the US requires a two-thirds majority vote in both HoR and Senate, for example, making it close to impossible when it comes to issues that are even remotely contested).

Requiring two separate votes with an election inbetween is not that hard, but it's still a significant hurdle if you're suddenly in the middle of a pandemic and you realize that your consitution makes it really hard to quarantine more than, say, a block of houses. Or to shut down gyms etc.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 17, 2020

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Change is good, tbh

Except when it's bad change, then it's bad tbh

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Change is good, tbh

Except when it's bad change, then it's bad tbh

The only US amendment the last 50 years has been regarding salaries for congressmen. Too many restrictions on constitutional amendments is a really bad idea and will handicap societal progress and give an unreasonable boost to conservatism.

That proposal was introduced... 1789, signed in 1992 lol.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 17, 2020

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

TheFluff posted:

quote:

Art. 8. Everyone shall be protected in their relations with the public institutions against deprivations of personal liberty. All Swedish citizens shall
also in other respects be guaranteed freedom of movement within the
Realm and freedom to depart the Realm.

Art. 20. To the extent provided for in Articles 21 to 24, the following
rights and freedoms may be limited in law:
3. freedom of movement (Article 8); and

Art. 21. The limitations referred to in Article 20 may be imposed only to
satisfy a purpose acceptable in a democratic society. The limitation must
never go beyond what is necessary with regard to the purpose which occasioned it, nor may it be carried so far as to constitute a threat to the free
shaping of opinion as one of the fundaments of democracy. No limitation
may be imposed solely on grounds of a political, religious, cultural or
other such opinion.

Keeping people from dying to a pandemic is a "purpose acceptable in a democratic society". It is a perfectly viable target of legislature.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TheFluff posted:

Weakest as in you could politically scrap the whole thing in less than 2 years.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

PederP posted:

Keeping people from dying to a pandemic is a "purpose acceptable in a democratic society". It is a perfectly viable target of legislature.

of course freedom of movement can be regulated in general or it would not be possible to arrest people for example. smittskyddslagen also has provisions for putting people in quarantine, but this only extends to individual households and such things.

it may be possible to write a law with provisions for more extensive restrictions that could pass muster as constitutional, but the reason i said it was unconstitutional was that i read a law professor quoted as saying that in an interview a while back, so it's not my own internet lawyer claim.

i did some reading though and the 1968 version of smittskyddslagen (that is the one predating the 1974 constitutional reform) was significantly more powerful than the one we have today (rewritten completely twice since then). in addition to provisions for forced quarantine it also had provisions for forced testing and forced treatment, as well as an article that granted the cabinet extremely wide-reaching powers to isolate any geographical region in order to prevent epidemic spread. most of this was dropped when the law was rewritten after the constitutional reform, and reading the proposal there was significant concern about proportional use of force and a desire to avoid authoritarian measures. for example forced isolation/quarantine for more than 4 days now requires a court decision (and still does to this day).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/Johnssonen/status/1328339912039534594

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I had no idea Sweden had an American style "war on Christmas" being pushed by right wingers.

https://twitter.com/globalcrash2020/status/1328044658237317121?s=20

Liked this reply.

Katt fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 17, 2020

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Katt posted:

I had no idea Sweden had an American style "war on Christmas" being pushed by right wingers.

Liked this reply.

Last year Apotekarnes sold must under two different names julmust and vintermust and that got a lot of people mad for some reason

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Precis som mina traditioner så importerar jag alla mina åsikter från utlandet också.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’ve never been prouder of my adopted hometown

Also why and how the gently caress was he allowed to travel, why was there an event, why didn’t I get to pie the moron (I know, the answer is all money)

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

teen witch posted:

Also why and how the gently caress was he allowed to travel, why was there an event, why didn’t I get to pie the moron (I know, the answer is all money)

Yeah, my rich as gently caress aquaintance travels the world like it's 2019. As long as you own the boat/plane you can go spread the love sickness all over the world like a true hero of capitalism.

E: There was a party because the US Ambassador to Sweden is this big brained motherfucker.

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 18, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

teen witch posted:

lmao

what would the american equivalent of eskilstuna be? like, cleveland?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Nov 18, 2020

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

TheFluff posted:

lmao

what would the american equivalent of eskilstuna be? like, cleveland?

Having lived in both, a hundred times yes.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Katt posted:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Groda posted:

Having lived in both, a hundred times yes.

At least it’s not Detroit!

We’re not Detroit!

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Katt posted:

Liked this reply.

Trying to explain Kalle Ankas julafton to foreign coworkers is an interesting experience.
“Yes, the Swedish Christmas TV highlight is to watch 40 year old censored Disney short films at 15 on Christmas Eve. Where one episodes details Kalle Ankas adventure in a jungle. If you are lucky you also get a commercial for the latest Disney movie included.“ :psyduck:

Note : with censored I don’t mean the recent change of Santa’s workshop but rather Kalle Ankas use of a heavy machine gun to shoot the bird in the jungle episode which exists in the original episode. Growing up in the 80s without cable was an interesting experience in terms of TV.

teen witch posted:

At least it’s not Detroit!

We’re not Detroit!

Your claim to fame is Kent.
Make what you want out of that statement.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Kalle Anka på julafton suger. Det är så värdelöst

But some people just gotta do it. They gotta senselessly watch it because it is tradition.

Like, ok if you have toddlers around who want to watch it. But otherwise? It's nuts to sit there and stare at those cartoons year after year.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
Karl-Bertil Jonsson however..

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Kalle Anka will possibly be phased out with the boomers. But not before they're out.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
While I do not like Kalle Ankas Julafton, I like Kan du vissla Johanna even less though. Get some new material Svt!

This is a good video on the subject of Donald Duck on Christmas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvyo03sSUvE

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I'd still watch Kalle Ankas Julafton over Ivanhoe.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ivanhoe rules

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
what the gently caress is wrong with your people

you gotta watch the mickey mouse christmas variety hour on christmas! it contains the ducks' snowball fight and chip and dale's christmas tree adventure shorts!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with your people

you gotta watch the mickey mouse christmas variety hour on christmas! it contains the ducks' snowball fight and chip and dale's christmas tree adventure shorts!

One Christmas he'll win that snowball fight. He's way more creative about it than his indecipherable scumbag nephews.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Get ready for that lovely mask study to fertilise the ground for more OPEN 'ER UP.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Kalle ankas jul owns bones. I kinda like that its always the same stuff on tv on christmas, its relaxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Norway does the same thing more or less. I think our "Disneys Julekavalkade" (IIRC it's called that) is the exact same Christmas specias as Kalle Ankas Jul. There's also the East German/Czecho Slovak Cinderella movie from the 80s, with the one guy dubbing the whole thing Russian/Polish style, that's delightful, and "Reisen til Julestjernen" which I think is an awful movie, but still it's always there. A couple of others here and there as well (some have been added and some shorter/smaller ones have slipped away over the years)

You just turn on the TV and let it roll for however long it takes, meanwhile you do preparations for Christmas dinner, get the last of the presents delivered or whatever and just pop in for a look every now and then, maybe deciding to catch one of the programs in its entirety or close to it.

It works and doesn't really need changing, it being the same every single time is the point.