Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Wouldn't the tiny rear end screen cause a problem? How many nerds are going to fat finger misplays all the time?

Also 8 GB is a big chunk of a 32 GB phone. Phones are 32-64 now right? 128 is exceptionally large?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Wouldn't the tiny rear end screen cause a problem? How many nerds are going to fat finger misplays all the time?

Also 8 GB is a big chunk of a 32 GB phone. Phones are 32-64 now right? 128 is exceptionally large?

128 is moderate and a lot of phones can do that now, many new phones have a 256 GB option

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah those are great. Big stompy boys leaving an impact when they enter the battlefield or a huge slam when they hit you are fantastic and really add to the feel of the game imo. A tittering little dipshit filling the screen for five seconds while jangly sound effects play every single time he's cast is not. Get rid of all the elaborate lengthy animations and keep the short "aura" type ones where some effect radiates out from the card itself when it enters play instead of a short PS1 summon cutscene happening imo

The Forsaken Monument one is perfect to me. Cool but correctly sized and short. Also the ability animations rule; Eternalize and Embalm are rad as hell.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

If mobile arena ever took off, most people playing it would be doing Bo1 unranked, since you don't wanna play ranked if you might lose service or something, and you probably don't want to play long games. So you could probably spam tokens or triggered abilities until your opponent's game crashed and get free wins. Even if you don't make them crash, if you attacked with enough tokens there's no way they'd be able to block correctly with any kind of accuracy

The Posting Imam
Oct 22, 2020

by Cyrano4747

lmfao this guy kicks rear end

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

TheKingofSprings posted:

128 is moderate and a lot of phones can do that now, many new phones have a 256 GB option

Goddamn

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Not sure about this Jace redesign

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Pyroclasm: a bunch of 2s appear on screen.

Kozilek's Return: this after which a bunch of 2s appear on screen.

The animations could be the most beautiful CGI outside of Pixar instead of some vanillia world of warcraft stuff and it'd still not matter because you get fuckin tired of the same fuckin thing happening twelve times a game

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

you don't get tired of the animations if they are very low key or if they're rad as gently caress much like the brazen borrower

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I’ve put 60 hours into Yakuza 0 this past week and I’ve seen the main guy do the same canned animation where he obliterates a goon with a kick a billion times and I’m still not tired of it.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

fadam posted:

I’ve put 60 hours into Yakuza 0 this past week and I’ve seen the main guy do the same canned animation where he obliterates a goon with a kick a billion times and I’m still not tired of it.

If the animation were brazen borrower getting his head kicked into a wall repeatedly and animated as well as a yakuza game is, I'd probably feel different about it.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The entire game of Hearthstone was designed to be mobile compatible.

Magic with it's infinite tokens and unlimited hands, lands as permanents, deck searching, stacks of triggered abilities, and other large/complex states isn't going to fit well onto a phone screen.

Hover
Jun 14, 2003

Your post hits a tree.
The tree is an ent.
The tree is angry.

ilmucche posted:

View this on your phone and imagine what a mess mobile would be late game when a player goes wide.

Also, I think most of the lag in the game comes from communicating with servers about the hundreds of scute/lifegain/polyraptor triggers you have. That would mean that most phones could handle the game client-side, so I'm more interested in seeing how (if) they solve the GUI.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

just put it on tablets and it's gonna be awesome, it's the perfect format for mtga. no one wants to gently caress around on their phones clicking through triggers lol

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Hover posted:

View this on your phone and imagine what a mess mobile would be late game when a player goes wide.

That would suck on pc. I've just remembered that blockers move around as you click on them lol

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

can you imagine delving cards for uro escape on the phone? I can hardly do it on my huge screen (especially if there's a commit // memory in there)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You just click the cards and pop out the z...oh you meant Arena. Just wait for uro to get banned.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
As someone who was out of MTG for like 15 years I gotta say I enjoy the MTG Arena interface, its very easy for me to tell what the hell is going on and overall like the platform. It's too bad its spotty in other ways (its still a bit of a mess on Mac).

I can't watch people play MTG Online, its too miserable to look at

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Would you guys rather live in a universe where Kroxas was tweaked to be as good as Uro, or one where Uro was tweaked to be a bit worse to be on Kroxas' level?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Julius Seizure posted:

you don't get tired of the animations if they are very low key or if they're rad as gently caress much like the brazen borrower
I was sick of BB and Rankle the first time I saw them and I am at "jesus christ just let me turn off animations I will throw all of my gold and gems at it right now" level now.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

I was sick of BB and Rankle the first time I saw them and I am at "jesus christ just let me turn off animations I will throw all of my gold and gems at it right now" level now.

lol I think they're annoying too, but come on. Just look at your phone while it's going off.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

fadam posted:

lol I think they're annoying too, but come on. Just look at your phone while it's going off.
When I'm playing a game I should not need to be entertained by something else.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don't disagree but that's the world we live in. You can continue to get mad, or you can look at Twitter.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I don't know about you, but looking at Twitter doesn't make me less mad.

I haven't touched Arena in a while. My poor data cap can't take it. Well, it probably could, but I have other priorities.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Not really seeing any good argument against implementing a toggle for the bad animations

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

Not really seeing any good argument against implementing a toggle for the bad animations

to own other people who complain about it

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

fadam posted:

Would you guys rather live in a universe where Kroxas was tweaked to be as good as Uro, or one where Uro was tweaked to be a bit worse to be on Kroxas' level?

The former.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Probably the game hasn't been coded in a way that would make this trivial to implement, and there's no business reason for the developer/publisher/etc. to prioritize such a feature if arena's financials look good anyway.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
They should have a toggle for sure, but I also forgot they have animations until this discussion came along because I think I just tune them out subconsciously

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Toggling animations wouldn’t do anything unless both players have them turned off, right? Otherwise the player with them toggled off is just sitting there while the client plays the animations for the other player. You’d basically just end up roping yourself, it wouldn’t save time or speed up the game.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Bust Rodd posted:

Toggling animations wouldn’t do anything unless both players have them turned off, right? Otherwise the player with them toggled off is just sitting there while the client plays the animations for the other player. You’d basically just end up roping yourself, it wouldn’t save time or speed up the game.

You can take game actions while animations are going off (e.g. attacking with QB before his animation is done)

Edit: which is to say, you receive priority immediately before animations are done, assume that your clock doesn't get delayed by animations

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leperflesh posted:

Probably the game hasn't been coded in a way that would make this trivial to implement, and there's no business reason for the developer/publisher/etc. to prioritize such a feature if arena's financials look good anyway.

I would be astounded if the app wasn't designed with portability/mobile in mind from the start. I can't fathom how it's possible they hosed this up

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The Klowner posted:

I would be astounded if the app wasn't designed with portability/mobile in mind from the start. I can't fathom how it's possible they hosed this up

:raise:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The Klowner posted:

There is absolutely no indication that this was the case.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh I had a brain fart, I thought they were talking about the mobile port

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

what would it take for kroxa to be as good as uro, or for uro to be down to kroxa's level? Maybe if you removed the card draw from uro? or maybe uro's ability was ETB only?

If you wanted to make kroxa better, he would probably cost 3 and make them discard 2.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So what’s the deal with Uro? It just does too much and comes back to easily?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

A Moose posted:

what would it take for kroxa to be as good as uro, or for uro to be down to kroxa's level? Maybe if you removed the card draw from uro? or maybe uro's ability was ETB only?

If you wanted to make kroxa better, he would probably cost 3 and make them discard 2.

If Kroxa always did the 3 and cost 1BR he’d probably be a lot closer at least.

Uro probably could have been UG reveal the top card of your library, if it’s a land you gain 3, put it into your hand.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Dealing 3 every time instead of having that weird clause about what they discard would bring Kroxa up and make the two titans more symmetric.

I would hate that format even more so probably bumping Uro down would be better. Probably take the lifegain off it entirely so that you're not just undoing all the aggro deck's work at the exact same time as you're ramping and drawing cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

thetoughestbean posted:

So what’s the deal with Uro? It just does too much and comes back to easily?
He does way too much at the same time and there is functionally no way to prevent it. It's an uncounterable explore with gain 3 life attached early that comes back as a finisher later on. If the abilities were separated by "or"s it would be fine.