Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Communist Walrus posted:

I watched The Most Toys for the first time recently and holy hell did the guy who played the collector really swing for the fences. It's like no one told him everyone on TNG needs to be kind of bland.

You should compare him to the original guy they had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvW7GkRMMS8

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Saul Rubinek pops up in a lot of stuff, and he always knocks it out of the park. In this case, it’s loving impressive that he was swapped in on such short notice and just ran with it. David Rappaport was good, but Rubinek is just stellar.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

HD DAD posted:

Saul Rubinek pops up in a lot of stuff, and he always knocks it out of the park. In this case, it’s loving impressive that he was swapped in on such short notice and just ran with it. David Rappaport was good, but Rubinek is just stellar.

One of my favorite guests on Frasier, too!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Fantastic in Unforgiven and True Romance for sure.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Now that Disco is becoming a good* show, surely it will be canceled soon.

* it's not actually "good" yet, but it's less terrible and there's potential. Also: A whole episode without pew pew. in the year of our lord 2020.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I read like, the first 700 pages of this thread on and off over a period of weeks/months somewhere in the last year or two. That was mostly before Discovery had aired, so discussion primarily focused on TOS, TNG, DS9, and VOY. I read a lot of shitposting about those four shows.

I watched all the way through TNG six or seven years ago. I watched all of DS9 between 2019 and early 2020. Recently, when I've been staying home with my kid, I've been putting Trek eps on at random.

Thread, I know most of you think DS9 Trek is Best Trek, and while I want to agree, I'm just not feeling it. Sisko is a great captain, but I still feel like Picard is better. That might be on account of their context, which is the crux of the issue. TNG just feels more fun, you know? Data, Riker, Dr. Crusher, Geordi, and Picard are genuinely fun to watch. Potatoes O'Dyin, Bashir, Odo, and Kira just lack the spark of the TNG cast. Dukat and Garak are excellent, as is Quark, and I actually liked watching Jadzia, but overall the show feels more more serious.

TNG was more lighthearted, with plenty of fun one-off episodes. Beyond the Q stuff (which is all good), anything that wasn't Worf or Troi-centric was generally fairly amusing. DS9 gave strong performances, but was darker in tone almost all the time, and when they easing up a little bit, they eased up a little *too* much (Vic Fontaine, I'm looking at you). It's not to say there weren't great eps in DS9, but if I'm picking one of those two series to put on random, TNG is going to deliver way more often.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I wonder if nostalgia has anything to do with that? I watched TNG and DS9 both as an adult and I found the characters in the latter way more fun and interesting.

E: oh wait I definitely mixed up what you were saying there and thought you were a kid when you watched TNG. Nope, just preference then!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I read like, the first 700 pages of this thread on and off over a period of weeks/months somewhere in the last year or two. That was mostly before Discovery had aired, so discussion primarily focused on TOS, TNG, DS9, and VOY. I read a lot of shitposting about those four shows.

I watched all the way through TNG six or seven years ago. I watched all of DS9 between 2019 and early 2020. Recently, when I've been staying home with my kid, I've been putting Trek eps on at random.

Thread, I know most of you think DS9 Trek is Best Trek, and while I want to agree, I'm just not feeling it. Sisko is a great captain, but I still feel like Picard is better. That might be on account of their context, which is the crux of the issue. TNG just feels more fun, you know? Data, Riker, Dr. Crusher, Geordi, and Picard are genuinely fun to watch. Potatoes O'Dyin, Bashir, Odo, and Kira just lack the spark of the TNG cast. Dukat and Garak are excellent, as is Quark, and I actually liked watching Jadzia, but overall the show feels more more serious.

TNG was more lighthearted, with plenty of fun one-off episodes. Beyond the Q stuff (which is all good), anything that wasn't Worf or Troi-centric was generally fairly amusing. DS9 gave strong performances, but was darker in tone almost all the time, and when they easing up a little bit, they eased up a little *too* much (Vic Fontaine, I'm looking at you). It's not to say there weren't great eps in DS9, but if I'm picking one of those two series to put on random, TNG is going to deliver way more often.

You're not wrong at all. If the characters and situations in TNG clicked for you more, that's totally cool and good.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
sisko is way more fun than anyone on tng i think. the smiles he pulls when hes loving with someone are excellent. also trials and tribble-ations is more fun and joyful than 7 seasons of tng. maybe its just that avery brooks is hotter than everyone on tng so im biased by that.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I definitely have a nostalgia association with TNG. I remember my dad watching it when I was younger. I never really watched it with him, but I remember it existing. I remember DS9 existing too, although not as well. I've been trying to step outside my nostalgia when I'm considering the two series' but it's hard (impossible?) to put that aside, you know?

jsoh posted:

sisko is way more fun than anyone on tng i think. the smiles he pulls when hes loving with someone are excellent. also trials and tribble-ations is more fun and joyful than 7 seasons of tng. maybe its just that avery brooks is hotter than everyone on tng so im biased by that.

Oh, Sisko is a ton of fun. The problem is that everyone around him is Stern and Means Business and has some form of PTSD probably. The only person he interacts with that has any levity is Jadzia, and I thought their relationship was one of the best of the series.

Worf eps in both series can suck an egg

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ill give ds9 one thing which was they finally found a way to make worf interesting

(as long as he's directly adjacent to dax, martok, and quark)

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
worf sucks so loving bad

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

jsoh posted:

worf sucks so loving bad

only 3 people in the galaxy like worf. his parents, and damar.

(dax is dead!!!)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

You might try Enterprise and Voyager as well then. Might as well, they're there and each has their own flavor.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

CainFortea posted:

You might try Enterprise and Voyager as well then. Might as well, they're there and each has their own flavor.

Voyager had more of a smell.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

jsoh posted:

worf sucks so loving bad

I actually think he gets dumped on a lot similar to OBrien. He’s made a constant chump on TNG but competent on DS9, his brother is a mess up and his other brother went from being an awesome Klingon Kurn to having his memory wiped, his Klingon father was branded a traitor and house name marred, his son is a gently caress up, both his mates died, yet he is responsible for two regime changes in the Klingon empire (he helped establish Gowron and took him out).

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Tony Todd said in an interview that the Kurn mind wipe episode is the only ep he had never read the script for before agreeing and had he read it he wouldn't have accepted it. Kurn would have been a cool regular addition to DS9 imo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"Thanks guys," laughs Kurn, "I guess I just needed to talk this all out. I don't feel like I need to die honorably at all, anymore!

You might say... You really Kurned me around!"

All laugh

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Collateral posted:

Voyager had more of a smell.

I always imagined that Voyager smelled like my principal's office in public school, deep space nine by comparison I always thought would have sort of a musty dampness to it like an old house

TOS Enterprise smells like that bucket of hand-me-down Legos you got from your cousins when you were a kid, and the Enterprise D has the aroma of Glade plugins from the late eighties

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

DS9 smells like the basement of a grandpa that hoarded tools and also wasn't great at fixing the sump pump

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

CainFortea posted:

How dare you suggest Voyager at someone (I watched it all, it was bad, I've never watched it again). I'll do Enterprise when I'm done with TOS

I didn't realize Kurn was Tony Todd but that's cool

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I remember Siddig joking about Bashir being the most unethical doctor in Starfleet because of the Kurn episode and turning Bareil into a dickless robot as well as other prior incidents. Probably true especially when you factor in everything after season 4.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Most ridiculous part of Sub Rosa is how they're worried about upcoming rain in the colony modeled on Scotland

"we don't have rain at this time of year" well looks like your weather system is working authentically for the first time in a century

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I remember Siddig joking about Bashir being the most unethical doctor in Starfleet because of the Kurn episode and turning Bareil into a dickless robot as well as other prior incidents. Probably true especially when you factor in everything after season 4.

Yeah but Pulaski was mean to Data, so...

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

My Lovely Horse posted:

Most ridiculous part of Sub Rosa is how they're worried about upcoming rain in the colony modeled on Scotland

"we don't have rain at this time of year" well looks like your weather system is working authentically for the first time in a century

yesssss. silly scottaboo.

Also I preferred the Bridge with the fog, it was more atmospheric

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Communist Walrus posted:

I watched The Most Toys for the first time recently and holy hell did the guy who played the collector really swing for the fences. It's like no one told him everyone on TNG needs to be kind of bland.

Yeah that episode whips rear end. Love the makeup work on the other aliens visiting the guy for his dinner party or whatever

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

everyone really kind of ignores that data has the capability of being homicidal, its cool

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

of all the souls in all the galaxy, fajo's was the most unpalpable

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

GolfHole posted:

everyone really kind of ignores that data has the capability of being homicidal, its cool

Starfleet probably makes you take a holodeck test - like the one where you ask Geordi to climb into the warp core - that involves mowing down dozens of mooks with a phaser to prove you are capable of killing multiple people and shrugging it off, as officers are required to do in a lot of episodes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

GolfHole posted:

He very nearly kills people multiple times, sometimes just flipping into killdroid mode like someone snapped their fingers. He loving stabbed Troi in the turbolift because he was hallucinating.

A hallucinating robot.

But the moral of TNG is even when your coworkers and superiors try to kill you on a near weekly basis, you always trust them implicitly and no one ever feels unsafe going to work in the future.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That wouldn't be homicide. That would be a pretty clear cut case of defensive use of a weapon.

Also he is a serving officer on an armed star ship. Everyone is ready to kill if need be. He was 3rd in command, so if they're in a fight and Picard and Riker get knocked out he would absolutely be giving orders to blow up whoever is attacking them.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ok fine! the robot can kill me!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

CainFortea posted:

That wouldn't be homicide. That would be a pretty clear cut case of defensive use of a weapon.
homicide is just a fancy word for killing a person.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

homicide is just a fancy word for killing a person.
it specifically means purposefully killing someone illegally.

Killing that dude woulda been super justified.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's understandable to think that as all illegal killings of people are homicide, but not all homicides are illegal. capital punishment is one example of a homicide that is legally permitted.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

it's understandable to think that as all illegal killings of people are homicide, but not all homicides are illegal. capital punishment is one example of a homicide that is legally permitted.

Listen buddy, I save my pedantic arguments for people who change their definitions every other post to make their edgelord case try to stick.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

infernal machines posted:

He loving stabbed Troi in the turbolift because he was hallucinating.

???????

There was a parasite infection that he was stabbing for her, he just didn't realise what it was at the time, iirc?

drat you're gonna make me revisit that episode aren't you

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

One time he stole the entire ship and the next week they just shrugged and let him sit back down at the wheel

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

poisonpill posted:

One time he stole the entire ship and the next week they just shrugged and let him sit back down at the wheel

that happens to everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29-iFOEOgIM&t=62s