Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cara Dune sucks now and I wish her death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It genuinely sucks that I went from excited to see her again to dreading if she ever shows up again.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bust Rodd posted:

It genuinely sucks that I went from excited to see her again to dreading if she ever shows up again.

:same:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bust Rodd posted:

It really does because he was a cool badass character that had a lot of potential. Ah well.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Bust Rodd posted:

It sucks that even if the directors are seeing this backlash and rethinking her role in this series, her episode is likely in the can already.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I always thought “The Clone Wars” referred to a war over the use of clones, like the good guys said cloning was bad and the bad guys wanted to make clones to use as slaves or food. I was bummed when it was less political than that.

Gina Carano ruined Cara Dune for me- The Mary Sue

The bad guys did use the clones as slaves. It was even more boldly political to make them the protagonists.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MrMojok posted:

How do these tracking fobs work?
Very well, thank you.

This is seriously all the answer the show should ever give about things like that. Once you get bogged down in "this works this way," you've gone the way of Star Trek. Which is awesome, but the two universes should be distinct IMO and getting stuck on the minutia beyond "they set up how a thing works in act 1 to pay off in act 3" kind of stuff is something I feel should be avoided.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Anita Sarkeesian: The Mandalorian should feature more outspoken women!

Gina Carano: ...

Sarkeesian: ... not like this... it like this...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

teagone posted:

Lmao. Fire her character into the twin suns of Tatooine.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yup. Pretty much.

I'm conflicted, because on one hand it's a dangerous precedent to expect a company to fire someone because of their political beliefs. But also, it's going to be a real goddamn challenge to watch this absolute poo poo-heel play a badass Antifa freedom fighter that I'm supposed to like. I'd feel fine if Cara Dune just fucks off to the Outer Rim forever.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
To be honest, considering the episodic nature of side characters, it would hypothetically simple to just have her never return after whatever is already in the can.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think the thing that stings to me is specifically that her character would absolutely hate the actress portraying her.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Speaking of Gina, I don't know how to explain the feeling of seeing the same chuds that were angry about "women in mah star wars" now praising Gina as their hero. I think I do a lot of sighing a la Mando.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Her episode is likely on Friday.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Enough about the original meanings of the clone wars. I thought the thing sticking out of Boba’s helmet was an antenna, not a targeting camera.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

Anita Sarkeesian: The Mandalorian should feature more outspoken women!

Gina Carano: ...

Sarkeesian: ... not like this... it like this...

So, basically, the opinion of the thread is that women should be outspoken - but only when they agree with things the thread believes?

No, I don't agree with Carano's politics or opinions either.

Mostly, I feel a bit sorry for her.

There was a guy who was an acquaintance of some people with whom I played RPGs (AD&D, Vampire, etc.) I never met him. However, one thing I was told that he allegedly said was that "Women are just a life support system for a oval office."

Those are the people she's with now. Those people, who ultimately think the only thing she's good for is the space between her legs, those are now her people.

Eventually she's going to discover that. And by the time she does, it will almost certainly be far too late for her to come back into the sane, decent parts of society again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t feel sorry for her. She can go gently caress herself into her stupid hole.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Desperado Bones posted:

Speaking of Gina, I don't know how to explain the feeling of seeing the same chuds that were angry about "women in mah star wars" now praising Gina as their hero. I think I do a lot of sighing a la Mando.

https://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/why-cara-dune-is-feminist-star-wars-icon-46978992

Probably the same way people who were praising her a year ago now feel about her.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Desperado Bones posted:

Yeah, I've been thinking a bit about that X shaped graph in opinion between Normal People and Neckbead Twitter/YouTube in terms of their opinions about Gina Carano / Cara Dune the more of a shithead she revealed herself to be. I wish I could find the specific thumbnail but the stupid motherfucker puts out like 80 grift videos a day so his YouTube page is unnavigatable, but I'd do a Tale of Two Thumbnails of TheQuartering having a le epic meltdown over a lady existing in his precious MANdalorian vs his most recent white knight video defending her from all the horrible SJWs she's pissed off by being a trash goblin.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xealot posted:

Yup. Pretty much.

I'm conflicted, because on one hand it's a dangerous precedent to expect a company to fire someone because of their political beliefs.

I disagree with and dislike Gina Carano's attitude and political beliefs. That said, if I'm going to take a side here, I'd much rather be Voltaire "I disagree with what you say but I defend to the death your right to say it" than to be Joe "Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communist Republican Party?" McCarthy.

Aside from which if she can get fired for her political beliefs then you can get fired over yours. And plenty of other poorer, browner people can get fired over theirs.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Everyone posted:

I disagree with and dislike Gina Carano's attitude and political beliefs. That said, if I'm going to take a side here, I'd much rather be Voltaire "I disagree with what you say but I defend to the death your right to say it" than to be Joe "Are you now or have you ever been a member of the Communist Republican Party?" McCarthy.

Aside from which if she can get fired for her political beliefs then you can get fired over yours. And plenty of other poorer, browner people can get fired over theirs.

Counterpoint: fascists must be stomped out of existence because their only belief ends in death. gently caress her, gently caress her siding with fascists. I refuse to defend them whatsoever.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Everyone posted:

So, basically, the opinion of the thread is that women should be outspoken - but only when they agree with things the thread believes?

There was a guy who was an acquaintance of some people with whom I played RPGs (AD&D, Vampire, etc.) I never met him. However, one thing I was told that he allegedly said was that "Women are just a life support system for a oval office."

Those are the people she's with now. Those people, who ultimately think the only thing she's good for is the space between her legs, those are now her people.

Eventually she's going to discover that. And by the time she does, it will almost certainly be far too late for her to come back into the sane, decent parts of society again.

She is sympathetic to a traitor and a coward, and even if she isn't one, she's finding common cause with actual swastika wearing Nazis and guys that have said, and I quote "Work Will Set You Free" in the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Twenty.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Cara Dune died in a bar fight on the way back to her home planet. This is her sister, Briga Dune, who also just happens to be an Alderaanian ex-Rebel Shock Trooper with teal and black armor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shes a millionaire. If she never works again she'll still manage.

Why the gently caress would I care if she got blacklisted for being a trash human.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Bust Rodd posted:

I always thought “The Clone Wars” referred to a war over the use of clones, like the good guys said cloning was bad and the bad guys wanted to make clones to use as slaves or food. I was bummed when it was less political than that.

Gina Carano ruined Cara Dune for me- The Mary Sue

P. Much, yeah.

Shutting the gently caress up is free. It's like she wants to tank her career into the Dean Cain/Kevin Sorbo zone of starring only in lovely propaganda B-movies they sell at the Christian book store.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Counterpoint: fascists must be stomped out of existence because their only belief ends in death. gently caress her, gently caress her siding with fascists. I refuse to defend them whatsoever.

This but she can say whatever she wants. I’m not gonna stop her. And I don’t know if Disney of all people should either.

She can dig her own grave and bury herself in it

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Everyone posted:

This is one of the stupidest reasons I've ever heard for not condemning fascists, congratulations

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Everyone posted:

Pedro Pascal sat her down and explained this to her already. She’s continuing down this road because it’s what she wants, not because she’s in an echo chamber.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm not defending her or them. I will speak in favor of her and their right to express their beliefs because doing so defends my right to express my beliefs and your right to express yours. Because there is no such thing as "fighting fascism with fascism." Eventually you just get more fascism.

A.o.D. posted:

She is sympathetic to a traitor and a coward, and even if she isn't one, she's finding common cause with actual swastika wearing Nazis and guys that have said, and I quote "Work Will Set You Free" in the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Twenty.

She's damning herself. She's accelerating toward and will soon cross an event horizon from which there will likely be no return. She's 38 years old now and turns 39 this coming April. Her window for "establishing herself" in Hollywood is rapidly closing. She could have been someone for little girls watching this show to see Baby Yoda to point to and say "I wanna be her when I grow up." And she's decided to flush that away to become... a Nazi whore.

So, yes, I feel sorry for her and sorrier for the waste of the potential that she had.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Everyone posted:

I'm not defending her or them. I will speak in favor of her and their right to express their beliefs because doing so defends my right to express my beliefs and your right to express yours. Because there is no such thing as "fighting fascism with fascism." Eventually you just get more fascism.

Someone losing a cushy high profile job over their outspoken support for fascism is not "more fascism."

You don't let Mosley mosey down Cable Street. Fascism is an exploit hack in permissive, free speech absolutist liberal democracy and needs to be strangled in the cradle.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm gonna be honest, I never thought she was that good of an actor to begin with, so I don't think she really had that much "potential" to begin with. So I'm not really broken up about the prospect of never seeing her in another piece of mass media again because she pointed a bazooka at her career's feet and went :golf:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Doom has taught me that pointing a bazooka at your feet takes you to new heights

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Azhais posted:

DoomQuake has taught me that pointing a bazooka at your feet takes you to new heights

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Rocket Jump? Sounds dangerous.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Everyone posted:

She's damning herself. She's accelerating toward and will soon cross an event horizon from which there will likely be no return. She's 38 years old now and turns 39 this coming April. Her window for "establishing herself" in Hollywood is rapidly closing. She could have been someone for little girls watching this show to see Baby Yoda to point to and say "I wanna be her when I grow up." And she's decided to flush that away to become... a Nazi whore.

So, yes, I feel sorry for her and sorrier for the waste of the potential that she had.

Wait so are you saying that it is wrong for us to want her to face professional consequences for what she’s saying, or that the consequence of what she is saying is that she is flushing her career away?

Also why call her a whore

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

...uh...pardon me... :ohdear:

should i hold off on continuing watching this season and binge on Clone Wars / Rebels first? only seen the first clone wars cartoon, not the CG one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mythicknight posted:

...uh...pardon me... :ohdear:

should i hold off on continuing watching this season and binge on Clone Wars / Rebels first? only seen the first clone wars cartoon, not the CG one.

Do what you feel is right for you. Mando, Clone Wars and Rebels are all good shows that flow nicely into one another, so there's no real wrong answer here.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Everyone posted:

Carano hasn't even been fired yet as far as we know, and if she is, it's because she works in an industry where public perception is absolutely key to the longetivity of one's career, in a franchise owned by a giant company with a huge international reach, that takes how the public perceives it incredibly seriously...and decided (likely against the advice of her managers and agents) to associate herself with the proto-brownshirts and wanna-be foot soldiers of Cheeto Benito anyways. In short, if she loses her job, it's because she's a loving idiot.

On a lighter note: I'm all caught up with season 2 and really enjoyed everything so far. And Katee Sackhoff was great as Bo-Katan (and looks really good with red hair :sweatdrop:).

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Owlbear Camus posted:

FascismCommunism is an exploit hack in permissive, free speech absolutist liberal democracy and needs to be strangled in the cradle.

This is a fun game. How do we know who wins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

SolarFire2 posted:

This is a fun game. How do we know who wins?

Hey I'm sorry I opened the door for people to empty a blaster charge pack into their dick and balls with some glib TPUSA meme level fash apologia in a star wars thread, but this schtick sucks and you should be embarrassed.

If you are really on the fence and not some crypto-fash idiot playing games, go read Sartre's essay or some Focault, they put it better than I can on the something awful dot com forums in a thread about magic space cowboy knight TV shows.

As an enjoyer of the Star Wars in tabletop/RPG contexts, it is amazing to me how quick some of the 3d modelling dudes get around to making 3d printable versions of the characters for said games, like the weekend of episode releases:
Bo-Katan:
https://gumroad.com/darkfiredesigns?fbclid=IwAR0h-zmoGTDvE9z77Wi9ZxP66TR3jtriCmTkRgHcPL4ZWi0NfpXxxt1fXb4#CqhBu
Mrs. Good Frogger:
https://gumroad.com/skullforgestudios#moPFr

The future of the hobby if 3d printers get cheap and user friendly enough might be print on demand. No more waiting for the licensee to get approval for a likeness, negotiate with a factory in china, have the dolls shipped over here and distributed to warehouses, just download the new guy and print him out to go have fun with your pals rolling dice to see what order you put your toys away.