Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Yeah I had been fishing for a week when I decided I needed a kayak. I got one of those $300 Lifetime Tamarack Angler 10 footers and it's been great. Of course then you have to budget for a PFD, better paddle, crate, cart to haul it, anchor to stop it, and so on, but it seriously opens up your options.

e:

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Easychair Bootson posted:

Yeah I had been fishing for a week when I decided I needed a kayak. I got one of those $300 Lifetime Tamarack Angler 10 footers and it's been great. Of course then you have to budget for a PFD, better paddle, crate, cart to haul it, anchor to stop it, and so on, but it seriously opens up your options.

And you can get even cheaper by going to a second hand kayak off facebook marketplace. Usually means you can get things like paddles and such for near nothing.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
What kind of fishing-related deals should we be on the lookout for as we move into the holiday season? I expect that brick & mortar stores will have some black Friday specials but what are some of the online retailers to watch?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
A pretty good article discussing possible damage from holding Bass by the jaw. Shouldn't really be a surprise that it harms soft tissue. Always use two hands for bigger fish. If you've ever dislocated your jaw you should have some empathy.

https://www.wired2fish.com/biology/what-happens-when-you-hold-a-bass/

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

A pretty good article discussing possible damage from holding Bass by the jaw. Shouldn't really be a surprise that it harms soft tissue. Always use two hands for bigger fish. If you've ever dislocated your jaw you should have some empathy.

https://www.wired2fish.com/biology/what-happens-when-you-hold-a-bass/

The goobers who livewell bass for 6 hours so they can take a cool picture at the end of the day won't give a poo poo. Same for old fishermen who have been doing this for 30 years. You can't change my mind that bass fishermen are the karens of the fishing world.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Sickening posted:

The goobers who livewell bass for 6 hours so they can take a cool picture at the end of the day won't give a poo poo. Same for old fishermen who have been doing this for 30 years. You can't change my mind that bass fishermen are the karens of the fishing world.

I've always been of the opinion that lipping big fish was probably super bad for their jaw but had never seen any research to back it up. Glad to see it doesn't break any bones but as someone who has dislocated and hyperextended their own joints thousands of times (yay hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos) the soft tissue damage does not surprise me in the least.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Help me find bass. Ive been hitting ponds pretty hard this year and got semi decent at finding and catching the fish. Ive been out to the big lake twice now in a boat and I cant find bass to save my life. Where do I look?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Syano posted:

Help me find bass. Ive been hitting ponds pretty hard this year and got semi decent at finding and catching the fish. Ive been out to the big lake twice now in a boat and I cant find bass to save my life. Where do I look?

Points. Jerkbaits, twitch slow as possible. Drop shot, even slower.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Bass like to hang out around visual landmarks like fallen trees, docks, rock piles, stumps, etc. they also like to travel along the bank within 10’ out depending on the terrain.

If you really want to sperg out for lake fishing you can look thru dated archives on the google earth desktop app. Rewind time to a point during which the lake was lowest and make note of lay downs and other landmarks along the bottom that would otherwise be hidden during periods of normal depth.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Syano posted:

The lake is probably more heavily fished than the ponds. Is it a state-managed waterway? If so see if they have a fishing report available online. Maybe try a finesse technique back in a cove?

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Sickening posted:

Take the picture when you catch it. Remove bass from hook, snap pic, put back in. Unless you're gonna eat it. Then you just put it on a stringer until you're done fishing or bleed it and throw it in the cooler.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Easychair Bootson posted:

The lake is probably more heavily fished than the ponds. Is it a state-managed waterway? If so see if they have a fishing report available online. Maybe try a finesse technique back in a cove?

I was throwing a rage craw up in a creek at one point and hopping it around but was getting bupkis... I guess I need to find another spot

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Hit the inlet at St Augustine and got a limit of slot trout, a real nice spanish mac and a half dozen smaller bluefish. Cold weather has moved in and i hope to get out at least one more time this week.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Anyone have any tips for keeping your line guides from icing over when the water is cold?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Syano posted:

I was throwing a rage craw up in a creek at one point and hopping it around but was getting bupkis... I guess I need to find another spot

Eh, a rage craw isn't what I would have a lot of success with right now in texas. Its definitely drop shot weather. A 4 inch pink/purple robo worm fishing so slow that it hurts. Deadsticking as much as I can.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ghostnuke posted:

Anyone have any tips for keeping your line guides from icing over when the water is cold?

Don't go fishing in the frozen shithole of hoth. :v:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Elmnt80 posted:

Don't go fishing in the frozen shithole of hoth. :v:

Seriously, the only times I've ever snapped a fly rod (besides shutting in a door) is from an iced eye

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ghostnuke posted:

If you're flyfishing, get good with roll casts and embrace the frozen eyes.

Alternatively, Tenkara rod.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Sickening posted:

Eh, a rage craw isn't what I would have a lot of success with right now in texas. Its definitely drop shot weather. A 4 inch pink/purple robo worm fishing so slow that it hurts. Deadsticking as much as I can.

I had 2 rods... 1 with a spinnerbait and then this one with the rage craw. I was basically following the advice of all the youtube dudes who scream about bass this time of year looking for active forage. I'd love to give a drop shot a try

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Syano posted:

I had 2 rods... 1 with a spinnerbait and then this one with the rage craw. I was basically following the advice of all the youtube dudes who scream about bass this time of year looking for active forage. I'd love to give a drop shot a try

A lot of those videos' are just to sell you tackle. I won't guarantee you are will catch a bunch of big ones, but the drop shot just works. The biggest downside which dropshotting is that even the tiny ones can eat it.

But it makes sense. As the water cools, fish will actively feed less. They will then only eat things that they consider an easy meal. A dropshot imitates a baitfish that drop in an area very slowly and just dies. That is the easiest meal a bass can eat. So outside those small feeding windows, you have to give them a meal that is too easy to pass up. Craws generally are something an active fish would eat.

Fall/winter fishing is all about making them strike when they aren't hungry (reaction baits) or giving them a meal too easy to pass up.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I've had good luck with stripers/white bass this time of year during the magic hour just as the sun leaves the water. The water temp is as high as it's going to be that day, and the bait fish come out to feed.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Sickening posted:

A lot of those videos' are just to sell you tackle. I won't guarantee you are will catch a bunch of big ones, but the drop shot just works. The biggest downside which dropshotting is that even the tiny ones can eat it.

But it makes sense. As the water cools, fish will actively feed less. They will then only eat things that they consider an easy meal. A dropshot imitates a baitfish that drop in an area very slowly and just dies. That is the easiest meal a bass can eat. So outside those small feeding windows, you have to give them a meal that is too easy to pass up. Craws generally are something an active fish would eat.

Fall/winter fishing is all about making them strike when they aren't hungry (reaction baits) or giving them a meal too easy to pass up.

I had that suspicion. I'd love to blow all my money on fish finders and rods and crap but I told myself I was going to learn to fish first with my ozark trail rod and my yak and paddle before I spent a dime on fish bro gear. So far I've been out twice and haven't hit nothing. It's all good though cause man it's nice to be outdoors. It would be nicer if I could catch some but I suppose that will come with time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Syano posted:

I had that suspicion. I'd love to blow all my money on fish finders and rods and crap but I told myself I was going to learn to fish first with my ozark trail rod and my yak and paddle before I spent a dime on fish bro gear. So far I've been out twice and haven't hit nothing. It's all good though cause man it's nice to be outdoors. It would be nicer if I could catch some but I suppose that will come with time.

Drop shot worms are cheap. Bullet sinkers are cheap. Fish are going to be on points from now to spring, suspended.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You might try pushing a little farther back into pockets with a square bill crankbait. My dad and uncle are on lake fork right now and thats basically the only thing they are having luck with.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 20, 2020

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I think the best part about winter is trout fishing. I head up to oklahoma to fish some of the rivers there and its always a good time. Easy fishing.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Sickening posted:

I think the best part about winter is trout fishing. I head up to oklahoma to fish some of the rivers there and its always a good time. Easy fishing.

In a similar vein, I love ice fishing for trout.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Mukulu posted:

I love ice fishing

Fixed it for you.

I drove through Minnesota earlier in the week. Skim ice was forming. Walleye diehards are still cruising the bay right now, but that'll shut down with the next cold spell.

My only worry this year is being able to get minnows. I had issues at the end of last year, this year will probably be worse. Will have to go the Gulp route again.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Yooper posted:

Fixed it for you.

I drove through Minnesota earlier in the week. Skim ice was forming. Walleye diehards are still cruising the bay right now, but that'll shut down with the next cold spell.

My only worry this year is being able to get minnows. I had issues at the end of last year, this year will probably be worse. Will have to go the Gulp route again.

lol you're not wrong.

A few ponds around me are starting to get ice, too. I'm getting all hot and bothered. I doubt we'll have anything good until December. There's always minnows around if you know where to look/catch your own. Shiners are always hard to get in winter (at least for me). I fish for pike a lot so suckers are my go to and they're usually plentiful at most bait shops.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Post them pike pics!

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Post them pike pics!

Give me a month!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Post them pike pics!

Okay! I got this one off shore early October with my last cast of the day after standing in the light rain for 3 hours.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
I'm just starting to get into fishing and I'm wondering about the relationship between reel drag weight and line/rod weights.

I understand the principle of drag and how all the different weight ratings interact, but what I haven't found any firm information on is what reel max drag rating I need for a given line/rod strength.

So far I've been sizing the reel to the line and the line to the rod using the Price Is Right method, but I've seen some recommendations that the reel drag should be set for 1/3 of the line or rod rating, whichever is lower. Does that mean that I can get away with using smaller reels effectively, or should I still keep the extra drag capacity to ensure that I can overpower a fish if I need to?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

buy some basic tackle and use it to catch fish

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

fatman1683 posted:

I'm just starting to get into fishing and I'm wondering about the relationship between reel drag weight and line/rod weights.

I understand the principle of drag and how all the different weight ratings interact, but what I haven't found any firm information on is what reel max drag rating I need for a given line/rod strength.

So far I've been sizing the reel to the line and the line to the rod using the Price Is Right method, but I've seen some recommendations that the reel drag should be set for 1/3 of the line or rod rating, whichever is lower. Does that mean that I can get away with using smaller reels effectively, or should I still keep the extra drag capacity to ensure that I can overpower a fish if I need to?

Definitely overthinking it. Just buy something that looks cool. To be honest , the kast king stuff off amazon is very good bang for your buck as much as it hurts to say. Pick something in your price point you like and give it a whirl.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Sickening posted:

Definitely overthinking it. Just buy something that looks cool. To be honest , the kast king stuff off amazon is very good bang for your buck as much as it hurts to say. Pick something in your price point you like and give it a whirl.

Yeah, overthinking is kind of My Thing. Thanks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

fatman1683 posted:

Yeah, overthinking is kind of My Thing. Thanks.

I was going to effort post in my reply but I figured it would hurt more than it would help. A drag on a reel is one of the things that doesn't really change much in functional quality the more expensive you go. Thinking about it that much is a waste of time.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Sickening posted:

I was going to effort post in my reply but I figured it would hurt more than it would help. A drag on a reel is one of the things that doesn't really change much in functional quality the more expensive you go. Thinking about it that much is a waste of time.

It's not so much about price but about sizing. I don't imagine the line capacity is going to mean much to me in the near future, but the drag power is the other thing that changes with reel size, and I've been less than confident about my gear sizing choices so far.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

fatman1683 posted:

It's not so much about price but about sizing. I don't imagine the line capacity is going to mean much to me in the near future, but the drag power is the other thing that changes with reel size, and I've been less than confident about my gear sizing choices so far.

Freshwater fishing is never going to test your drag system in any meaningful way unless you plan to use extremely light line (as in 2 pound line for extreme light fishing). Sizing also doesn't mean that much. Modern reels hold way too much fishing line by design in order to sell you more fishing line.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

fatman1683 posted:

Stoooooooooooop and just buy a drat rod! I've been fishing for three decades and I've never thought about drag power or gears. It's not something a beginner needs to worry about. You need to worry about figuring out how to find fish and convince them to bite, which you can only do if you're out there fishing.

(if you like technical stuff, that's seriously great. but get something to fish with first, then nerd out once you figure out how to catch fish.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Slotducks posted:

Okay! I got this one off shore early October with my last cast of the day after standing in the light rain for 3 hours.

Nice fish! Pike are great toothy fish!