Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I just got the collection. Runs great!

Can you play as Serious Santa?

This is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Can you play as Serious Santa?

This is important.

you sure can ;)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

:toot:

Gonna pick it up sometime so I can aaaaaaaaah-myself.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

fit em all up in there posted:

Is Mario Tennis worth it at $30 ?

Good competitive game. Dunno what the online is like these days, I had to wait a while playing doubles with a friend a year&a half ago

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

fit em all up in there posted:

Is Mario Tennis worth it at $30 ?

As someone who loved Mario Tennis 64, no. Although the mode without all the ridiculous game breaking special moves is enjoyable.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

RCarr posted:

As someone who loved Mario Tennis 64, no. Although the mode without all the ridiculous game breaking special moves is enjoyable.

No.

The "ridiculous special moves" are in fact trick shots, special shots and zone shots, which are almost universally the same amongst all the characters (a couple of newer characters have different trick shots) and all have drawbacks and can be countered easily. Trick shot with the wrong timing and you lose meter. They also leave you open for a splitsecond. Special shots can be countered with trick shots or you can use the meter to simply slow down time to return them easily. Zone shots are just less powerful special shots.

In short, the special moves are not "game breaking" and this opinion suggests you didn't take the time to actually learn the mechanics of the game.

Mario Tennis represents a really excellent evolution of tennis games, using fighting game mechanics. Every time you lose its because you hosed up, not because the game cheated you. I say this as someone who loved Pete Sampras Tennis on the Genesis and Virtua Tennis 2 on the dreamcast.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Mario Tennis Aces is good but slightly lacking in actual content which makes the $30 price tag a lot more palatable than $60. Get it, you'll probably enjoy it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Hades: going out of my way not to look up poo poo like this cause I get bogged down doing that in lesser roguelites but I gotta ask: I finally have another two diamonds again (mostly cause I couldn't remember/never had a good run with which weapon I hadn't cleared Asphodel with) so should I spend them on the "new desk" or "administrative room" upgrade at the contractor? Don't need details, just is one clearly more useful than another (gotten close a few times, never cleared).

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Rabelais D posted:

I say this as someone who loved Pete Sampras Tennis on the Genesis and Virtua Tennis 2 on the dreamcast.

cool

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
High level tennis game opinions itt... Gonna sit back and let the big dogs sort this one out, way beyond my kenning

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Hades: going out of my way not to look up poo poo like this cause I get bogged down doing that in lesser roguelites but I gotta ask: I finally have another two diamonds again (mostly cause I couldn't remember/never had a good run with which weapon I hadn't cleared Asphodel with) so should I spend them on the "new desk" or "administrative room" upgrade at the contractor? Don't need details, just is one clearly more useful than another (gotten close a few times, never cleared).
I'd go for the desk first

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

my favorite tennis game is the volleyball minigame in super mario odyssey. EXACTLY as boring to play as the real sport is to watch.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Mario Tennis GBC had an incredible single player mode and that's really the main reason Mario Tennis Aces disappointed me

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Mario Tennis on the Switch is an A+ purchase if you have at least 1 person to play with irl.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Just started playing No More Heroes. Man, I would have loved this game back in 2007.

That is about the only nice thing I can say about it today

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Muscle Tracer posted:

my favorite tennis game is the volleyball minigame in super mario odyssey. EXACTLY as boring to play as the real sport is to watch.

Lol this was the only part of odyssey I disliked

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

RandomFerret posted:

Just started playing No More Heroes. Man, I would have loved this game back in 2007.

That is about the only nice thing I can say about it today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaMtsAe4kdI

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Been playing Scourge Bringer and I think I like the basic game mechanics more than Hades, as far as roguelite action combat goes. Cool looking game too.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I was a big fan of Bastion and Transistor but I was not prepared for Hades. It should be illegal to make a game this good.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

Rabelais D posted:

No.

The "ridiculous special moves" are in fact trick shots, special shots and zone shots, which are almost universally the same amongst all the characters (a couple of newer characters have different trick shots) and all have drawbacks and can be countered easily. Trick shot with the wrong timing and you lose meter. They also leave you open for a splitsecond. Special shots can be countered with trick shots or you can use the meter to simply slow down time to return them easily. Zone shots are just less powerful special shots.

In short, the special moves are not "game breaking" and this opinion suggests you didn't take the time to actually learn the mechanics of the game.

Mario Tennis represents a really excellent evolution of tennis games, using fighting game mechanics. Every time you lose its because you hosed up, not because the game cheated you. I say this as someone who loved Pete Sampras Tennis on the Genesis and Virtua Tennis 2 on the dreamcast.

This is an incredible post

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Rabelais D posted:

I say this as someone who loved Pete Sampras Tennis on the Genesis and Virtua Tennis 2 on the dreamcast.

is this too long for a thread title

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Playing doubles looks fun but I couldn’t find a match during the free trial. :(

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I'm a bit shocked that my taking Mario Tennis very seriously is seen as a big joke

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Thick mustaches and whacking balls.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Rabelais D posted:

I'm a bit shocked that my taking Mario Tennis very seriously is seen as a big joke

I don't believe you take it that seriously if you don't even put a full paragraph into the competitive scene

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I have seen far more ridiculous rants than that one, which in my opinion doesn't even rank. All seems reasonable to me.

What's your opinion of FZero GX?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Monkey Fracas posted:

wanna see Samus just like hook a belt of ammo up to her gun arm thingy

That's never used ammo! She can really pump out the missiles once you get enough tanks too. And in Prime 3 in Hypermode her charge shot turns into a gatling gun.

And now I wonder how a hero shooter Smash Bros would go.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
turned off the special shots? Wow

you cheated not only the tennis, but yourself etc.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Zelda Age of Calamity reviews are out, it’s getting great reviews across the board, I’m not surprised since I tried the demo with very low expectations but was completely blown away by how much fun I was having, I normally am indifferent to Musou games but this one is really a step above.

IGN gave it a 9 out of 10

https://youtu.be/GqL7iN20duI

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

gently caress yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnqiecP2v1Q

Nov 26

$10

quote:

Th fifth Picross in the S series is chock-full of lighthearted puzzle fun!
Brand new puzzles for you to enjoy in all four regular game modes: Picross, Mega Picross, Color Picross, and Clip Picross, plus new large puzzles in the bonus Extra content!
New Puzzles in All Four Picross Modes and Extra Content
There are a total of 300 Picross and Mega Picross puzzles, 150 Clip Picross piece puzzles, 30 Color Picross puzzles, and five Extra puzzles, a grand total of 485 puzzles! *Link play data from Picross S, Picross S2, and Picross S3 to unlock the third Extra puzzle. Without play data, puzzles remain locked and unplayable.
Check Your Total Time Records
The time taken to complete all puzzles in each mode, and the total time taken to complete all the puzzles, will now be displayed.
The total time will be shown only when you finish all the puzzles.
High Contrast Colors
The option to switch to colors that are easier to tell apart in Color Picross puzzles has been added.
Confusing coloring will no longer detract from the pleasure of puzzle-solving!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:allears:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhTIKpPIhqA

This just launched and looks like an ok take on Euro/American Truck Simulator, especially since it doesn't seem like those games will ever get ported to consoles. That said it's 55 bucks over here and that's waaay too rich for something that looks so budget. I'll laugh my rear end of if they try something like that on PC considering the two kings of the hill cost 17 bucks or so.
If it actually turns out to be ok I'll pick it up during a sale just to have some portable trucking.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

Zelda Age of Calamity reviews are out, it’s getting great reviews across the board, I’m not surprised since I tried the demo with very low expectations but was completely blown away by how much fun I was having, I normally am indifferent to Musou games but this one is really a step above.

:goonsay: Umm, IGN and most major reviewers are just shills for game companies and get paid for good reviews. This is why you shouldn't believe their lies because :goonsay:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Violet_Sky posted:

:goonsay: Umm, IGN and most major reviewers are just shills for game companies and get paid for good reviews. This is why you shouldn't believe their lies because :goonsay:

Honestly, as someone who used to review games, review scores are pretty much useless.

That said I'm looking forward to this, choppy framerate (from what I've been told) and all.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

A metacritic of 79 is great? Its above average at best. I thought this nintendo hyperbole was only on resetera

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Morpheus posted:

Honestly, as someone who used to review games, review scores are pretty much useless.

That said I'm looking forward to this, choppy framerate (from what I've been told) and all.

From the demo, it seems like the frame rate will fluctuate depending on where you are, in the large open fields of hyrule the frame rate becomes choppy, when you move to tighter spaces the frame rate becomes fine and when you go to the canyon stage the frame can actually become really great.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Wow that’s only a 59 if you account for the Nintendo bonus. Shameful

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dpulex posted:

A metacritic of 79 is great? Its above average at best. I thought this nintendo hyperbole was only on resetera

why do you keep bringing up resetera in all your posts, are you okay

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Actually nevermind this is dumb

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

quote:

Confusing coloring will no longer detract from the pleasure of puzzle-solving!