Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

General Battuta posted:

I don't remember the AI being any dumber than 3.

The AI in 3 is not very smart either. I just remember it being notably dumber than previous games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Arcsquad12 posted:

The AI in 3 is not very smart either. I just remember it being notably dumber than previous games.

The most notable thing in 4’s AI is that enemies are very easy to lose by breaking line of sight. Previous games were more aggressive with remembering your location and squadding up to go after you (“Drop your panties and flush it out!” -H3 Brute Chieftan) whereas in 4 they will tend to go back to what they were doing, or just hold position.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
How's 4 MP? I only played the campaign and never touched the multiplayer

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Arcsquad12 posted:

From what I recall it looked and played well but the AI was significantly dumber because the limited 360 memory was all going to pump up the visuals.

AI doesn't really take a ton of memory, but 343i don't know how to design games like Bungie and spent all their time on stupid ideas.

Big Scary Owl posted:

Some people kinda like it? I really hate the call of duty weapon drops system, and I think most people did. Weapon balance is a mess, map design is really limited as a result.

MP is maybe better in 5 than 4 IMO. But both campaigns are dire.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Big Scary Owl posted:

It’s really bad. The low point of Halo MP imo.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

God, I forgot how dire 343's art design for Halo 4 & 5 is. At least Infinite looks to be going back to the Bungie designs. Hopefully the game is actually good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Apparently Infinite is skipping the Game Awards this year.

This turned into a Halo 2 production nightmare didn't it? Except instead of them losing their poo poo because the E3 demo was not in the main game and having to take a hacksaw to the final product to get it shipped like Bungie did, 343 and Microsoft panicked at the overall meh response to the Infinite gameplay reveal and they've been overhauling everything with a course correction so sharp that it tipped over the project.

A weird thing has been happening. When I started posting in this thread I felt that Reach was a weaker entry in the series and I stand by that. Except now it's the campaign I've played through the most.

I still think the multiplayer is crap but that could be due to the lower player base than 3 and the maps being poo poo. But the single player, for all the bullshit that are Reach Elites, is probably the most balanced between challenge and power fantasy. I still get some cheap deaths but it is far less frustrating than harder difficulty Halo 2 and the challenge is more fulfilling than 3 where you feel almost overpowered at times.

I'm kind of liking it? Its strange.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 17, 2020

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

press [q] to kill elite

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Veotax posted:

God, I forgot how dire 343's art design for Halo 4 & 5 is. At least Infinite looks to be going back to the Bungie designs. Hopefully the game is actually good.

People are saying that but Infinite still looks pretty bad to me in lots of ways.

I guess that was one of the big takeaways though, that overall Infinite looks like rear end and needs reworking as a result. I guess that's independent of the style, but I dunno.

The Infinite trailer looked much worse to me than Halo 3. Halo 3 was on the loving 360, so its not possibly a performance thing, its a style / art direction thing. So while it may be better than 4 or 5, it still looks ... bad.

I have absolutely zero faith in 343i. And its all the management's fault, I'm sure they have tons of talented artists and programmers. 5's tools were the best in the Halo series, and 4 and 5 both have extremely high fidelity models and animations.
The leadership is just... bad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I never noticed how few pauldrons in 4 seem to actually connect to the arm or body of the character model.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I never noticed how few pauldrons in 4 seem to actually connect to the arm or body of the character model.

Its part of the whole change of spartan armor in 4.

In the Bungie games the MJOLNIR armor is a big solid suit, like a spaceman outfit. A single consistent suit.

But in the 343 games the MJOLNIR armor is like a thin wetsuit you wear, with a few discreet pieces of exoskeleton on top. Floating plates of armor.

I always hated that change. Makes them look way more generic, the same as every sci-fi game. And inherently less protective. Chief seemed to have plenty range of motion in the Mark IV and V, don't fix what ain't broken.

They had the black bits between armor plating in 1-3, but it was much thicker and kept a consistent silhouette of spacesuit. In 4-5 they shrink the black down to skin-tight and it makes things look awful IMO.

Fortunately that's the one thing they did definitely reverse in Infinite's design, its much more like the old suits.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 18, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

In the Bungie games the MJOLNIR armor is a big solid suit, like a spaceman outfit. A single consistent suit.

But in the 343 games the MJOLNIR armor is like a thin wetsuit you wear, with a few discreet pieces of exoskeleton on top. Floating plates of armor.

I always hated that change. Makes them look way more generic, the same as every sci-fi game. And inherently less protective. Chief seemed to have plenty range of motion in the Mark IV and V, don't fix what ain't broken.

They had the black bits between armor plating in 1-3, but it was much thicker and kept a consistent silhouette of spacesuit. In 4-5 they shrink the black down to skin-tight and it makes things look awful IMO.

Fortunately that's the one thing they did definitely reverse in Infinite's design, its much more like the old suits.

Oh I know THAT part, I meant literally; a lot of them seem to just float around the arm but not actually connect to it.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Its really amazing how when you're used to looking for Grunt silhouettes, you just start missing that info because they look so different. "Is that an... Elite over there? [squint]" or "Score, a Covenant Carbine!" as you discover a storm rifle that looks similar from more than 5 feet away.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The Storm Rifle was a terrible mistake. Almost none of the new weapons in Halo 4 are interesting, they're all "human weapon but with a different skin".

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Halo 4 was the lowest point in the halo video game series. Worse than the twin stick shooter, even.

Halo 5 was close, but the MP was pretty fun.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

General Battuta posted:

The Storm Rifle was a terrible mistake. Almost none of the new weapons in Halo 4 are interesting, they're all "human weapon but with a different skin".

Hey now, we have the Promethean pulse grenade which is... totally useless!

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

I forgot until yesterday how great Master Chief’s armor is that it just magically evolves in four years while he’s sleeping. :allears:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Apparently nanomachines did it.

I wonder if they also completely changed the design of the Forward Unto Dawn too?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The nanomachine thing has been walked back and the official answer now is that the visual difference in armor is just an art style thing, and that canonically the armor was not changed while he was in the cryo pod.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Veotax posted:

Apparently nanomachines did it.

I wonder if they also completely changed the design of the Forward Unto Dawn too?

They did , they gave it all kinds of external weapons that were never shown or used before like a side mounted mini mac turret

Halo 3 :

Halo 4

neat tidbit with how big the made the Forward unto dawn in Halo 4 as a playable area it's actual size would be as big if not bigger than the infinity

Both of these are concept are for forward unto dawn the bottom one from Halo 3 the top one from Halo 4

Tythas fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 18, 2020

Veotax
May 16, 2006

jivjov posted:

The nanomachine thing has been walked back and the official answer now is that the visual difference in armor is just an art style thing, and that canonically the armor was not changed while he was in the cryo pod.

That's good. I honestly prefer if they just own it and say the art style is different rather than trying to bullshit some reason to explain the change.

I still don't care for 343's style, but I prefer this to saying the armour magically changed between games.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I like Chiefs Halo 4 amour.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Veotax posted:

That's good. I honestly prefer if they just own it and say the art style is different rather than trying to bullshit some reason to explain the change.

I still don't care for 343's style, but I prefer this to saying the armour magically changed between games.

Same. I remember the whole nanomachine explanation now and it was just dumb.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Having only played the series this year and already being an adult who didn't care about Xbox games in the early 2000s, I have zero nostalgia for Halo. So I am greatly enjoying my playthroughs of Halo 1-3 and am actually excited to play 4 when I get to it, just to see if it's really a terrible game or if it's terrible in the sense that some changes were made that huge fans of the series hated. We shall see!

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Prior to last week the only Halo I had ever played was the first one.

I must be broken because I was playing Halo 4 last night with my son and not only was I impressed with how good it looked, we both had a really good time and I walked away thinking Halo 4 rules. Lol.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I forgot how bad the Grunts sound in 4. They breathe methane so the game gives them helium voices but still speaking alienese like in Reach. It's the worst of both.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
just played first level... gameplay feels good. everything feels too dark though. i mean i know the Dawn is a wreck, but Covenant dont pop out like they did in prior games. at least here they defintely blend more inti the background

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Happy Hedonist posted:

Prior to last week the only Halo I had ever played was the first one.

I must be broken because I was playing Halo 4 last night with my son and not only was I impressed with how good it looked, we both had a really good time and I walked away thinking Halo 4 rules. Lol.

High five to all gamers who play with their children. My son is 19 in a couple of weeks and is a great helper in dragging me through games I don't have the reflexes for anymore. I'm looking at you Monster Hunter World.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

High five to all gamers who play with their children. My son is 19 in a couple of weeks and is a great helper in dragging me through games I don't have the reflexes for anymore. I'm looking at you Monster Hunter World.

He's old enough that he's legit a good co-op partner now. The poor guy is dying for entertainment and companionship thanks to Covid, so a little couch co-op Halo is a nice distraction. The fancy new Xbox has been good all around for that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sally posted:

just played first level... gameplay feels good. everything feels too dark though. i mean i know the Dawn is a wreck, but Covenant dont pop out like they did in prior games. at least here they defintely blend more inti the background

The first level of 4 is almost okay. I hate the Call of Duty cutscene moments, but otherwise you're just fighting Covenant and that mostly works fine because its mostly the same as the old Halo games.

Just wait until you're fighting waves of Prometheans and all the fun will be sucked dry.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

jivjov posted:

The 1 dude maintaining the Halo wiki solemnly deletes the 50 extra articles for every gun and vehicle looking slightly different

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

The first level of 4 is almost okay. I hate the Call of Duty cutscene moments, but otherwise you're just fighting Covenant and that mostly works fine because its mostly the same as the old Halo games.

Just wait until you're fighting waves of Prometheans and all the fun will be sucked dry.

Yea I just played the introductory level and my feelings are the same. Outside of the stupid CoD moments, it plays fine when against the Covenant. I don’t like how all the Covenant are the same muted color palette though , and I HATE the new lizard-look of the Grunts/Jackals.

Otherwise I thought it was fine, even quite enjoyable. Even the humanizing stuff between Cortana and Chief and Hasley being shown as the weird fascist that she is.

If I had never played this game before, I’d seriously be wondering what all the hate is about, but I know the bad feelings will come back as soon as I encounter the Promethians again:(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Growing up/becoming more "woke" is really fascinating regarding Halo lore. I remember reading Fall of Reach and loving the "kids get spirited away in the night to become super soldiers" and totally being on board with their original stated purpose of "putting down dissident human factions". Flash forward a few years and I suddenly realize, yeah...Halsey and the UNSC are TURBO-fash

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jivjov posted:

Growing up/becoming more "woke" is really fascinating regarding Halo lore. I remember reading Fall of Reach and loving the "kids get spirited away in the night to become super soldiers" and totally being on board with their original stated purpose of "putting down dissident human factions". Flash forward a few years and I suddenly realize, yeah...Halsey and the UNSC are TURBO-fash

I've always kinda seen it both ways. They're called SPARTANS for a reason, the historic culture of Sparta was similarly exceptionally brutal, essentially practicing child-murdering eugenics on a regular basis. You can recognize that they were an elite military force of the time, you can enjoy the power fantasy of Frank Miller's comic and the movie adaptation, and you can also decry them as horrific crimes against humanity all at the same time.

That's how basically anything with history has to be, you always have to keep the perspective of the horrible things that went on. And also in any war conflict, all sides are going to likely end up committing some level of atrocities. War is hell. (even space war lol)

That said, I guess part of the appeal of space war is that there's clear good guys and bad guy aliens and you don't have to deal with the inter-human conflicts or morality of war as much, but in trying to build up the Halo fiction they end up pulling a lot from history so there ya go. (And really just because they're aliens doesn't mean morality doesn't matter for their lives anyways. Grunt lives matter?)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I actually played more halo 4 multi than any of the others except for maybe halo 1 LAN with neighborhood kids

It was the one that was out when I was in college, and my roommates and I would smoke a bunch of weed and take turns, so someone would always be on halo. we were max rank and dominated everyone

I doubt the magic will be captured again but I'll definitely try it

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The idea that the Spartans were excellent soldiers is sort of a historical myth. They were more like the North Koreans of the ancient world, primarily engaged with keeping their own slaves under control. I’ll dig up a good article about this if anyone’s interested. (So Halsey’s SPARTAN program being intended for counterinsurgency is quite apropos!)

Man, I remember how excited I was after Halo 4. I couldn’t wait to see what these guys would do next, with a brand new console and a clean storytelling slate. Big oof in retrospect.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The core question about whether Spartans are machines or not in the context of a postwar setting is ripe for exploration. I just wish we didn't need stupid Forerunners involved trying to wipe people out.

But asking what Spartans were made for and what use they have after a genocidal conflict is interesting. What do you do with an old soldier? How do you justify their original purpose to suppress insurrectionists when you don't have a more immediate threat to deal with in the Covenant? Are Spartan IVs really needed and if they are what purpose will they serve?

None of this is really addressed and its a shame.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The books gave lots of details that the UNSC was an oppressive , fascist state with lots of factions trying to break away and the UNSC’s idea to keep this from happening was to use genetically-engineered child slave soldiers.

The UNSC was basically on the verge of a brutal civil war and ONI had no qualms about using any means necessary to keep everyone in line and crush all dissent.

Then the Covenant came along..

Anyway there is ALOT about UNSC and especially Covenant society post-war to unpack had 343 chosen to do so. A lot of it interesting in its own right especially after a galaxy-wide genocidal war that shattered a multi-species millennia-old empire and drove another to near-extinction.

Instead we get egg man and his prometheans and oops Cortana wants to murder the universe now.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 19, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ironically the UNSC was only the 'good guy' because of an existential crisis but was otherwise 100% an evil fascist government, but then the existential crisis was resolved and in a dumb and bad fluorish the UNSC is just The Good Guy now (??).

Like, rebels existed. And then they... don't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They do. You visit an insurrectionist planet in Halo 5. And then Cortana kills them all because she lifted a Guardian that was buried under their colony because she'd convinced the colonies smart AI to join her.