Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Despite paying (ostensibly) too much attention to Apple news, and being a former App developer, I didn't realize my game was going to be auto-published to the Mac App Store until I was reading this thread last night. Whoops. Kind of a bold move, as far as defaults go.

I guess I will opt-out because I have no idea how it will run, and don't plan to shell out for first generation Apple Silicon. Unless there's another way of testing it? I mean, most of the testing I ever did was in the Unity editor, and it works okay with the mouse, but :iiam:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Escape Goat posted:

Despite paying (ostensibly) too much attention to Apple news, and being a former App developer, I didn't realize my game was going to be auto-published to the Mac App Store until I was reading this thread last night. Whoops. Kind of a bold move, as far as defaults go.

I guess I will opt-out because I have no idea how it will run, and don't plan to shell out for first generation Apple Silicon. Unless there's another way of testing it? I mean, most of the testing I ever did was in the Unity editor, and it works okay with the mouse, but :iiam:?

Maybe see if an AS-owning goon will test it for you?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That lack of testing, more than deeply-considered opposition to the prospect, is likely why a lot of major apps aren’t available at this point.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Mister Facetious posted:

The Verge review covered that, and they're hit or miss in their usability on a non-touchscreen laptop. Hell, Apple programmed an entire accessibility suite for them. There's some ChromeOS-style teething problems.

@09:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEaKQ0pxQsg&t=580s

They are 100% going to be making touch screen Macs holy poo poo.

Make a 12inch mini touch screen MacBook plz.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
How much will I regret not going 16gb of RAM with the MBA? Went with the 8 core GPU and the 512 SSD but having second thoughts. I don't do much with my computer besides browsing and some random games of civ / dota. First laptop in years so will I see a huge difference with 16 rather than 8?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Escape Goat posted:

This is easy for me to say since you're the one who has to deal with angry reviews if poo poo doesn't work, but please don't opt-out for no reason.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
Having tons of displayport problems on the m1 mini. The recommended moshi cable wouldn’t even connect until I updated the os, and now it disconnects periodically & won’t wake back up until dis/reconnected. Direct usb-c seemed fine, but that doesn’t help a kvm switch user like myself.

Otherwise, feels just like the early x86 days so far. Fast as hell, but no native software and nothing compiles either. Bullshit like vs code being blocked because node won’t build in any flavor that is valid for yarn...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

~Coxy posted:

This is easy for me to say since you're the one who has to deal with angry reviews if poo poo doesn't work, but please don't opt-out for no reason.

They literally just gave a great reason to opt out.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

OMGzKakaniz posted:

How much will I regret not going 16gb of RAM with the MBA? Went with the 8 core GPU and the 512 SSD but having second thoughts. I don't do much with my computer besides browsing and some random games of civ / dota. First laptop in years so will I see a huge difference with 16 rather than 8?

For light use it's (should be) a non-issue. If you wind up doing something down the line that uses more than 8gb of ram it'll start paging which is never fun, but unless you're a serious tab horder that's not something that'll come up just browsing. Im not familiar with the needs of civ or dota but I'd be very surprised if 8gb was an issue. Personally I'd have trouble being locked in to 8gb, but my laptop only had 8gb and it's perfectly fine for browsing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Please don’t distribute your software for a platform if you don’t have high confidence that it works on that platform, at least without signifiers to that effect. Pretty please.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Some Goon posted:

For light use it's (should be) a non-issue. If you wind up doing something down the line that uses more than 8gb of ram it'll start paging which is never fun, but unless you're a serious tab horder that's not something that'll come up just browsing. Im not familiar with the needs of civ or dota but I'd be very surprised if 8gb was an issue. Personally I'd have trouble being locked in to 8gb, but my laptop only had 8gb and it's perfectly fine for browsing.

Tbh on mac I only ever hit hard memory limits in photoshop at 8gb and never get memory issues at 16. I bet it’s fine for a huge majority of uses (which is not to say there aren’t going to be big cases for more ofc). I personally wouldn’t go below 16 for me but I think 8 will be fine for most people.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

mediaphage posted:

Tbh on mac I only ever hit hard memory limits in photoshop at 8gb and never get memory issues at 16. I bet it’s fine for a huge majority of uses (which is not to say there aren’t going to be big cases for more ofc). I personally wouldn’t go below 16 for me but I think 8 will be fine for most people.

yeah 8 is bad, 16 is enough that it's not an issue for me. I wouldn't buy anything below 16, particularly now it's impossible to upgrade. Assuming that the M1 doesn't change how much RAM is utilized.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Thanks for the info folks. May consider getting a different model before cracking this one open once the fruit stand gets some in.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

mediaphage posted:

They literally just gave a great reason to opt out.

I have no idea what the app is but it will probably work usably fine.
It's very annoying for the user when the developer disables a feature.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

~Coxy posted:

I have no idea what the app is but it will probably work usably fine.
It's very annoying for the user when the developer disables a feature.

They don’t owe you jack or poo poo, though. It’s much worse for them to let an app out and have it work poorly, then get swamped with negative reviews. They don’t have the capability to test it, so the smart bet is to disable it from being released.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Can someone who knows more about this than me explain why the end game for a M-family of chips wouldn't be an iPad style device that can dual-boot iOS and MacOS?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

illcendiary posted:

Can someone who knows more about this than me explain why the end game for a M-family of chips wouldn't be an iPad style device that can dual-boot iOS and MacOS?

If you can run iOS apps on mac why would you ever need to dual boot? That’s just going to add complexity for end users which Apple tends not to do. Imo I bet they hate dealing with boot camp.

I don’t see them converging on a single device like that anytime soon. The closest you might get is a touchscreen Mac although they have been super vocally against that multiple times (not that they haven’t pulled 180s before, ofc).

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 18, 2020

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Presumably when you want the convenience of a tablet and don’t want to deal with a PC-centric windows manager

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Presumably when you want the convenience of a tablet and don’t want to deal with a PC-centric windows manager

But they have the iPad for you to use in those cases. Why sell you one device when they can sell you two?

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

illcendiary posted:

They can get a lot of people to buy both a Mac and an iPad.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

From a business standpoint sure but I’d love to switch out my MBP and IPP with a single device

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

illcendiary posted:

The same reason a single company sells six kinds of pasta sauce; you want to cover the customers that want X and say they don't need Y.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Apple would never endorse dual-booting for their own software; it’s thr antithesis of good UI.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Mixing iOS apps with macOS apps is also bad design on some abstract level so them supporting it at all indicates a recognition that there’s some net benefit in doing so.

The current UI of ugly floating app windows strikes me as a placeholder until they can get something better in place.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is it too soon to hop on the M1 train if I’m a safari browsing, discord chatting, MS Word typing, YouTube watching prole? Reviews make it seem like a slam dunk if you aren’t using it for productivity/money making endeavors. I was debating getting an iPad Air with Smart Keyboard & trackpad because of that sweet, sweet battery life. With the M1 it looks like I can just go with a MacBook instead.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

buglord posted:

Is it too soon to hop on the M1 train if I’m a safari browsing, discord chatting, MS Word typing, YouTube watching prole? Reviews make it seem like a slam dunk if you aren’t using it for productivity/money making endeavors. I was debating getting an iPad Air with Smart Keyboard & trackpad because of that sweet, sweet battery life. With the M1 it looks like I can just go with a MacBook instead.

Nah, seems like the air would be perfect for your situation

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
They'd just need a "touch" launcher and a "desktop" launcher you can switch between on the fly as desired, not a dual boot/OS device.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

mediaphage posted:

They don’t owe you jack or poo poo, though.

Maybe, maybe not.

mediaphage posted:

It’s much worse for them to let an app out and have it work poorly, then get swamped with negative reviews. They don’t have the capability to test it, so the smart bet is to disable it from being released.

Assuming the reviews show up on the MAS then the smart bet would be to allow Apple to make your app available, and only to take it down if the users report some catastrophic error.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The bigger question to me is whether they’ll ever provide a touch interface on their laptops. That’d go against their historical stance about touch on computers.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Turn the trackpad into a second little display

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

Use a Magic Trackpad 2 as a controller :newlol:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

There’s Windows laptops that do this now and it works about as well as you’d expect it

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Wow they ported it that quickly to ARM? I wonder if it would be possible to run WoW on a iPad with keyboard + mouse support

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
So let me get this straight, the M1 chip has to run Intel based software through an emulator, but the chip is so fast there's no real drop in performance or quality in using those Intel-based Software through the emulator? so if I get an M1 mac I can still run the software I want fine? Also does the Pro even have a GPU anymore wouldnt the lack of a GPU mean big trouble for heavy creative use? hmmmmm it's very risky proposition for creative workers.....

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 18, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

American McGay posted:

Only in the Mac Hardware thread can someone post a video of World of Warcraft running at 40fps and people get impressed.

The new chips will probably be a good thing for Macs moving forward, but I don't think it's really going to move any sort of needle in the games industry. Pump the brakes a bit.

It has no fan.

On max settings.

...how?

Edit: on second thought seems like a very ideal situation for the laptop as far as where they are in game and what was going on

it’s a boat

Show me a character standing in an actual zone.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 18, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

spunkshui posted:

It has no fan.

On max settings.

...how?

Edit: on second thought seems like a very ideal situation for the laptop as far as where they are in game and what was going on

it’s a boat

Show me a character standing in an actual zone.

MBP - WoW @ 03:12 (1080p, Ultra preset, claims ~45fps in the beginner zone):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu8gEq-Os_E

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Al-Saqr posted:

So let me get this straight, the M1 chip has to run Intel based software through an emulator, but the chip is so fast there's no real drop in performance or quality in using those Intel-based Software through the emulator? so if I get an M1 mac I can still run the software I want fine? Also does the Pro even have a GPU anymore wouldnt the lack of a GPU mean big trouble for heavy creative use? hmmmmm it's very risky proposition for creative workers.....

They only released the smaller MacBook Pro with the new Processor so far. We don’t know how they will handle the larger Pro, which is the one that had the option for a dedicated GPU.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Apple sells more iPhones in one year than the Playstation 4 and Xbox lifetime sales combined. I think they just see gaming as small potatoes.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
So a dude on this other forum I frequent has the new Macbook Air with M1 and he says he was able to hook up two external displays! One USB-C cable to a dock which connected two displayport monitors!

It's the top message on this page but it's in Dutch: https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/2030476/9

He uses this dock: https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1310274/lenovo-thinkpad-hybrid-usb-c-with-usb-a-dock/specificaties/ and had to install some DisplayLink software?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Maybe, maybe not.

Assuming the reviews show up on the MAS then the smart bet would be to allow Apple to make your app available, and only to take it down if the users report some catastrophic error.

No. Dude. You literally are owed nothing, no maybe about it. It’s dumb as poo poo to throw apps out with no testing and if the dev doesn’t feel comfortable doing it then they shouldn’t do it. You’re being entitled.

FCKGW posted:

There’s Windows laptops that do this now and it works about as well as you’d expect it

Yeah these are always awful but Apple has black magic trackpads so who knows. They definitely have a patent about something like this tho.