Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I still enjoy Matt's streams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Matt has just turned into a doomer and fallen into the nothing will ever radically change and we will continue on our slow decline forever and there is nothing to do mindset. He may be right, but I think it's insane to ignore the fact that earlier this year almost every major city in the country experienced extreme civil unrest fanned on by social media posting that worked around media blackouts, and on the other side a few people were able to grow a literal Trump conspiracy death cult that's like a quarter of our nation.

I abhor social media as much as anyone, but future working class solidarity isn't going to spring out of an Amazon warehouse, it's going to be built by disaffected people coalescing together in online spaces.

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I still enjoy Matt's streams.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/258262904091058176?s=20

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Matt has just turned into a doomer and fallen into the nothing will ever radically change and we will continue on our slow decline forever and there is nothing to do mindset. He may be right, but I think it's insane to ignore the fact that earlier this year almost every major city in the country experienced extreme civil unrest fanned on by social media posting that worked around media blackouts, and on the other side a few people were able to grow a literal Trump conspiracy death cult that's like a quarter of our nation.

I abhor social media as much as anyone, but future working class solidarity isn't going to spring out of an Amazon warehouse, it's going to be built by disaffected people coalescing together in online spaces.

I wouldn't describe the people protesting against police brutality as disaffected and socially atomized, they were in fact extremely affected and were forced to come together socially. You don't get a bunch of people protesting in one place without drawing from some sort of preexisting social connection and concern for others. When people went out into those streets, the majority of them weren't doing tweetups. They were in their neighborhoods with people they had some sort of social connection to, perhaps even from working in those Amazon warehouses. It's not going to be easy to translate that willingness to go out into the streets to agitate for justice into broader worker solidarity against less obvious oppression, but it's a start.

Q I can see as being the product of disaffected online gatherings, but I don't see how you can say that the Qanon model is any sort of path to solidarity or any destination besides an open grave.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

the thing about matt, is that although he is very smart and knows many things and I sincerely appreciate and like him, is that he is a big fat loser. his reaction to adversity is always melodramatic and defeatist. just look at the tabletop gaming episodes when he didn't get his way. that same aspect of his personality gets projected onto how he parses and interprets politics.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Mr. Lobe posted:

the thing about matt, is that although he is very smart and knows many things and I sincerely appreciate and like him, is that he is a big fat loser. his reaction to adversity is always melodramatic and defeatist. just look at the tabletop gaming episodes when he didn't get his way. that same aspect of his personality gets projected onto how he parses and interprets politics.

I mean it's hard to blame him since his most pessimistic outlooks are always correct and it seems like every time he has optimism (e.g. Bernie) he is rewarded with the harsh reality that life sucks and will never improve.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Al-Saqr posted:

I mean it's hard to blame him since his most pessimistic outlooks are always correct and it seems like every time he has optimism (e.g. Bernie) he is rewarded with the harsh reality that life sucks and will never improve.

he could stand to be less of a whiny baby about it

he's not the only person to experience political disappointment, and hell, he's experiencing it from a pretty materially comfortable position. the continual frustration of the past couple of decades of lived political experience doesn't stop a whole lot of other people I know who are far worse off from maintaining the kindling of some hope in their heart, even if we can all recognize that there's no easy victories any time soon.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Matt’s only expressed a belief in the inability for change to come through the political structures as they exist now. I don’t think he’s ever said it was impossible for change to occur, just that it’s going to come from unexpected places.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I Before E posted:

Q I can see as being the product of disaffected online gatherings, but I don't see how you can say that the Qanon model is any sort of path to solidarity or any destination besides an open grave.

The storming of the bastille was 1700's pizza gate. :colbert:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

The storming of the bastille was 1700's pizza gate. :colbert:

And yet they were actually busting a sicko pervert out of jail

THS
Sep 15, 2017

re: coalescing around online spaces vs. amazon distribution centers / retail

only one of those things causing trouble can be a direct threat to capital

THS
Sep 15, 2017

with the huge protests this year, a few places passed some reform stuff (including my city) but defund the police has run out of steam with little to show for it nationally. it reminds me of the huge iraq war protests. you can show up, even do some riots, but without twisting distribution and the material system by the balls, you will have little to really show for it - because the state will just ignore you and continue on

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Not if the online spaces actively suppress and censor them.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

https://twitter.com/banalplay/status/1328901938222673928

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

THS posted:

re: coalescing around online spaces vs. amazon distribution centers / retail

only one of those things causing trouble can be a direct threat to capital

Yeah the idea of online spaces forming anything coherent is a pipe dream that people have had for decades and its been nothing but a string of extremely embarrassing failures ever since. Sorry but cspam and /leftypol/ are not the beginnings of a new revolutionary vanguard.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Unbelievable

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Finally, posting is praxis again

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Every dozen or so pages someone shoots the exact same "Luddite Matt is wrong about online" shot.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

miniscule12 posted:

Man, no growth chapo starting out rough.

I do appreciate matt's subtle calling of telling people to stop giving a gently caress about their old shelled out online spaces and stop paying attention to the same old media.

There is no praxis left on something awful, twitter, no more praxis in watching youtube videos or leftists podcasts about current events (like chapo). It's all worthless.

I would hope there is not praxis on sa because praxis here usually means posting "cool zone" in the cool zone thread whenever a cop poops his pants on livestream

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't actually watch video of politicians if I can avoid it. Has Biden's rapid mental decline slowed somewhat, or...? At the rate he was going in the primary, I wouldn't see him lasting a full term.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Matt's had his brain broken by politics just as bad as the people he makes fun of, he just expresses it differently

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

has biden actually made a public appearance since the election?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't actually watch video of politicians if I can avoid it. Has Biden's rapid mental decline slowed somewhat, or...? At the rate he was going in the primary, I wouldn't see him lasting a full term.

Have we seen that much of him lately? It kinda feels like they've figured out how to manage it in public.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Matt's had his brain broken by politics just as bad as the people he makes fun of, he just expresses it differently

The most wrong Matt has been recently was being too optimistic toward the election night results.

Groovelord Neato posted:

We're beyond hosed when it comes to climate change so Matt is right to go doomer.

Anyone who isn't a climate change denier and isn't a full on doomer at this point is just coping.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 18, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

We're beyond hosed when it comes to climate change so Matt is right to go doomer.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Yeah, Matt's stuff frustrates me to no end becayse it makes me feel awful, but I also rarely can find a fault in his reasoning.

Even "Well, at some points the system will crash and then some change might happen" is a wistful exercise, because things getting hijacked by the new elite scam or Q-like cult are far more likely than people organizing for equality and achieving any real power to reshape things.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't think he's been doing many public appearances.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The silliest bit from that ep was will saying "pussy march" and everyone (including us) knowing exactly what he meant because we are terminally online.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I just listened to one of the recent streams, and in the same train of thought where he's saying that people will be politically divided based on formal education, he acknowledges that the American university system is living on borrowed time. (And we're not talking about a decades-long decline here.)

His reasoning regarding an electoral politics based purely on cultural differences and grievances is persuasive, but I don't think that poo poo is going to be sustainable for even a decade. Not while people are getting evicted and dying of plague in a major depression.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

His reasoning regarding an electoral politics based purely on cultural differences and grievances is persuasive, but I don't think that poo poo is going to be sustainable for even a decade. Not while people are getting evicted and dying of plague in a major depression.

Yeah this is gonna be a decade of collapsing power structures, but I can't see much beyond a lot of ruined infrastructure and some really dumb loving county wars.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Biden's brain is melting online discourse used by the left to try to discredit him during the primaries directly led to Trump and his advisors buying into it which led to Trump acting like a complete psychopath during the first debate which might have actually swung enough votes to flip the margin. I don't know if this is posting working or anti-working.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Jippa posted:

The silliest bit from that ep was will saying "pussy march" and everyone (including us) knowing exactly what he meant because we are terminally online.

God yeah, like I had a tiny tickle in the back of the brain that something was odd but would've ignored it completely until Virgil piped in. Just a bolt of clarity

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Biden's brain is melting online discourse used by the left to try to discredit him during the primaries directly led to Trump and his advisors buying into it which led to Trump acting like a complete psychopath during the first debate which might have actually swung enough votes to flip the margin. I don't know if this is posting working or anti-working.

What?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

After the second debate even my boomer dad (who loathes Trump) was saying Biden isn't all there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Man, what could possibly be dumber than thinking mass Left solidarity will come from the Internet?

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

debate...might have actually swung...votes

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

After the second debate even my boomer dad (who loathes Trump) was saying Biden isn't all there.

Really? I thought Biden was -way- slower and unsure in the first debate. Maybe few people noticed because Trump was in full tasmanian devil mode.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sephyr posted:

Really? I thought Biden was -way- slower and unsure in the first debate. Maybe few people noticed because Trump was in full tasmanian devil mode.

I think it was the combo of watching both debates.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Trump won the first debate

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Jippa posted:

I loved Virgil getting audibly rattled at Will Carolla going full MGTOW, real Dudes Rock energy

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Mr. Lobe posted:

Matt is at his best and in his element when he is critiquing, pointing out why something won't work or is just starry-eyed fantasy. He is either much worse at, or has no interest in, suggesting alternatives, or outlining any kind of structure for positive change, at least that I know of. Say what you will about her, but Amber seems like the person to talk to about finding the right phone numbers and hitting the pavement.

E: double post, sorry

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I had no idea Andrew Cuomo had a book out about how they "beat" coronavirus. That is serious blackpill poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

if you’re not doom pilled you’re not paying attention

or something like that