Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Samovar posted:

May Jameson?

she married jjj's dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

she married jjj's dad

Did she ever go back to Parker, after that guy died? Would be a weird step. Also, I just learned that her maiden name was Reilly.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Oh my god I've never cackled more at a comic

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Filthy Haiku posted:

Same, that made me guffaw.

On the other hand, the panel from Ultimate Spider-Man of Uncle Ben meeting Peter still gets me.

On the gripping hand, the later panel of Flash being the only person in class, and saying something like '....was I the only person who didn't know Parker was Spider-Man?' will never stop being funny.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Filthy Haiku posted:

Fun fact, after having Peter show up as weird crying loser in Howard the Duck Chip Zdarsky was then made the writer of Spectacular Spider-Man.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
And he did a great loving job

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I remember at one point in the 80s (or was it early 90s?) Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man was always the funny one, with stories about commuting etc.

e: Oh gently caress The Commuter Cometh was in The Amazing Spider-Man so very bad example :doh:

There's nowhere to web-swing from in the suburbs.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 17, 2020

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mystery Men Comics #10 (1940)

Tales from the Crypt #29 (1952)

The Fantastic Four #15 (1963)

Secrets of Haunted House #42 (1981)

Ranma 1/2 Vol. 8 (1997)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Occasionally I think Mousse and Shampoo are weird names for characters.

Then I remember Trunks and Buruma.

And the fact I once played a character in a tabletop game named Resetti Butan. (His catchphrase was "Don't push me...")

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I remember at one point in the 80s (or was it early 90s?) Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man was always the funny one, with stories about commuting etc.

e: Oh gently caress The Commuter Cometh was in The Amazing Spider-Man so very bad example :doh:

I remember a more recent story where Peter takes this running jump off a roof, shoots his web into the air... then falls right onto his face as his web spills harmlessly down like the sin of Onan because he started from the roof of a barn in Kansas or something.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 18, 2020

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Dareon posted:

I remember a more recent story where Peter takes this running jump off a roof, shoots his web into the air... then falls right onto his face as his web spills harmlessly down like the sin of Onan because he started from the roof of a barn in Kansas or something.

I think this was fan made, though. I still laugh every time I see it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That’s actually from Amazing Spider-Man #267. I’ll always remember that because that’s the issue cover dated the month I was born.

Chip’s Howard the Duck was a great book, and deserves to be revisited by anyone who missed it the first time around.

EDIT: Missed your edit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

That’s actually from Amazing Spider-Man #267. I’ll always remember that because that’s the issue cover dated the month I was born.

Hmm I had to check and I don't really know which one of us is the winner here :thunk:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I will never get over the one two punch of Rocket Racer and Big Wheel debuting just one right after each other. Two powerhouse villains.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Dareon posted:

And the fact I once played a character in a tabletop game named Resetti Butan. (His catchphrase was "Don't push me...")

IIRC that also came up at some point in that Scarlet Spider series back in 2012, him grumbling about Houston not having any skyscrapers outside of downtown.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bring back the Spidermobile.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Dareon posted:

Akira Toriyama has a thing for giving characters names after a certain theme. All of Bulma's family is named after underwear, Piccolo used to hang out with other folk named for instruments, all the Saiyans have vegetable names and in a masterstroke the daughter of Gohan (Rice, staple food) and Videl (Daughter of Mr Satan, anagram of devil) is named Pan.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

And of course, that's nothing on Hirohiko Araki

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Elfface posted:

Akira Toriyama has a thing for giving characters names after a certain theme. All of Bulma's family is named after underwear, Piccolo used to hang out with other folk named for instruments, all the Saiyans have vegetable names and in a masterstroke the daughter of Gohan (Rice, staple food) and Videl (Daughter of Mr Satan, anagram of devil) is named Pan.

I believe he was inspired by Osamu Tezuka's practice of naming characters after random inanimate objects. Sometimes it worked out and you got something like Rock or Duke Red, and sometimes you're the poor guy named Ham Egg or Acetylene Lamp.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

darthbob88 posted:

IIRC that also came up at some point in that Scarlet Spider series back in 2012, him grumbling about Houston not having any skyscrapers outside of downtown.

Heh, I remembered that, too, and spent some time looking for it before giving up.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Scarlet Spider #03 (2012)

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Scarlet Spider #03 (2012)
This was a good book. Is Kaine (that's how he spelled it, right?) still around these days?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I decided to read a bunch of Venom books on Marvel Unlimited this weekend. I wanted to start with the most recent run.
Then realized I hadn't read the previous run so went to start with this.

This kept happening until I decided to draw a final line under it and start with Rick Remender's Agent Venom run.

That lasted for about 6 issues until I got to the Spider-Island issues and I had to read Spider Island.

That story was really good. And it setup Kaine's series.
I'm going back to Agent Venom so I can eventually get onto more Venom stories and Absolute Carnage.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Woebin posted:

This was a good book.

Yes!

Woebin posted:

Is Kaine (that's how he spelled it, right?) still around these days?

Not really. After the cancellation of Scarlet Spider, Chris Yost started a New Warriors run where he brought in Kaine and Aracely to, in theory, continue some of their unresolved plots only for that series to be cancelled in like five issues or so.

Then years later, Peter David started a Scarlet Spider run with a resurrected Ben Reilly, which had decent characters but was a complete mess because of their entire plot hinging on you caring about a war between angels and demons in Las Vegas. That's never an interesting plot, PAD. Anyway, in that run (lasted 25 issues, ended in 2018), Kaine shows up occasionally and without Aracely -- he ends up trying to make a new life in Vegas, keeping a low profile. Or something, I forgot most of it.

I think he also showed up in one those Spider-verse crossover thingies doing nothing of importance. Everything that transpired in Huston is forgotten and he's just generic evil/edgy Spider-Man to the best of my knowledge.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I really liked Kaine while I was a teen that was into dark and edgy and while he's not really a character I care for anymore, I still like his reversal of sticky hands to just pull apart structures instead.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Dareon posted:

There's also Shampoo's grandmother, Cologne.

Plus there's My Hero Academia, where just about every place name is a Star Wars reference.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Banner Comics #3 (1941)

The Thing! #1 (1952)

The Many Ghosts of Doctor Graves #28 (1971)

What If? #42 (1983)

Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane #13 (2007)

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Let’s not forget the most powerful Ranma 1/2 name: Pantyhose Taro

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Darthemed posted:

What If? #42 (1983)

You really gonna call out my boy, Willie Lumpkin, like that?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

Fun fact, after having Peter show up as weird crying loser in Howard the Duck Chip Zdarsky was then made the writer of Spectacular Spider-Man.

I was watching some youtube video where they basically said good parody actually helps reinvigorate dead/stuck genre's because it gives fresh perspective to media. So Scream actually helped out the slasher/horror genre because it helped writers see the issues in the genre and write around them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Mystery Men Comics #10 (1940)

"Not in the face! Not in the face!"

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Immortal Hulk #40

A lot of very involved stuff has happened, that doesn't matter. Hulk is falling through space.

That tagline :allears:

Bonus mpreg:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

With Hulk looking like he's been on a hunger strike for a couple months, it sort of makes the Thing's poo poo talk a bit less cool (though admittedly funny in a different kind of way). It reminds me of the Simpsons bit where this corporate mogul type talks about how his dream was to knock out Muhammad Ali, which he did "just last week" and cuts to him ringing Ali's doorbell and sucker punching an old man who has Parkinson's.

The tagline is great though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Zaodai posted:

With Hulk looking like he's been on a hunger strike for a couple months, it sort of makes the Thing's poo poo talk a bit less cool (though admittedly funny in a different kind of way). It reminds me of the Simpsons bit where this corporate mogul type talks about how his dream was to knock out Muhammad Ali, which he did "just last week" and cuts to him ringing Ali's doorbell and sucker punching an old man who has Parkinson's.

The tagline is great though.

While the optics doesn't look good, this is the Hulk and the Thing we're talking about. We know that even in the Hulk's weakened state he can still go a couple rounds with the Thing, and we know the Thing knows that.

Also, it's the Hulk, a fight's probably exactly what he needs somehow.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Also the title of the book is Immortal Hulk and he's already come back from being dismembered several times, so as readers we know he's not in any real danger.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbf the hulk really did fight Ben while he and Alicia were on their honeymoon and destroyed their hotel

I'd hold a grudge too

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

site posted:

Tbf the hulk really did fight Ben while he and Alicia were on their honeymoon and destroyed their hotel

But Hulk got himself and Thing a shitload of hamburgers, so it all evens out.

e: And a good time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

I'd hold a grudge too

Definitely not gonna begrudge him a couple sucker punches.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Geez, that hits almost as nicely as

"It's you."
"The one and only."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Phy posted:

Geez, that hits almost as nicely as

"It's you."
"The one and only."

Assuming you're talking about Spider-Man, would have been better if it wasn't immediately after a gay joke in 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Nilbop posted:

You heard about it on Scott Pilgrim lady, just like all the rest of us.

if you want hard proof that Joe Quinones is operating on a higher level, he referenced the pose and the blocking from the original panel