Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

A better option would be to let partners (like PLEX) cache a copy on their own CDNs and have them worry about the costs. Of course, I presume TVDB would see that as their IP and would never do that.
If anything it'll probably just spawn an open-source copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Maybe the people who own the IP copyrights on the posters that tvdb hosts should charge them a fee too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Maybe the people who own the IP copyrights on the posters that tvdb hosts should charge them a fee too.

And that's exactly where this is going. It's one thing to have a free DB of this stuff. You can almost ignore it. But once you start monetizing it.......the lawyers will come knocking.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Mister Speaker posted:

Anyone know if there's a way to adjust video/audio playback sync in Plex? Few things are greater mood-killers than firing up a movie I know isn't on streaming services and hearing the audio noticeably out of sync.

I've experienced this on my Shield and always thought it was the Shield's fault (as I watch the majority of video content through Plex)

Kingnothing posted:

I don’t know your player, but if it’s a roku this seems to be common when video is trandcoded and audio is not.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/audio-out-of-sync/231869

The fix seems to be selecting any quality other than original, or rewinding a half second and quickly hitting play.

For manual audio offset, that’ll depend on your player. Here are the details for the web/windows player, but it’s likely different or impossible on other players.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/208052807-controlling-the-app/

I'm gonna try this out

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Khablam posted:

A better option would be to let partners (like PLEX) cache a copy on their own CDNs and have them worry about the costs. Of course, I presume TVDB would see that as their IP and would never do that.
If anything it'll probably just spawn an open-source copy.

just like tvdb was, like cddb was, etc.

From 2007 tvdb:

quote:

Facts about the Online TV Show Database:

The database is currently being used by Spiff's scraper for XBox Media Center (SVN rev 8044); the meeTVshows and TVNight plugins for MeediOS and Meedio; the MP-TVSeries plugin for MediaPortal; and a handful of smaller projects.
The database schema and website are open source under the GPL, and are available at Sourceforge.
I'm happy to make changes to the tv database's interfaces and data in order to accommodate programmers and users.

Other HTPC software developers are welcome to use our XML interface. Please contact me for details.

Please do not scrape this site or the XML interface for more data than you really need. Just email me and I'll provide the database for you.

I'm sure something else will pop up for the free projects, and plex will pay gracenote or rovi since they are already paying for TV listings

and the cycle continues

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

nexus6 posted:

I've experienced this on my Shield and always thought it was the Shield's fault (as I watch the majority of video content through Plex)

I'm gonna try this out

Kingnothing posted:

I don’t know your player, but if it’s a roku this seems to be common when video is trandcoded and audio is not.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/audio-out-of-sync/231869

The fix seems to be selecting any quality other than original, or rewinding a half second and quickly hitting play.

For manual audio offset, that’ll depend on your player. Here are the details for the web/windows player, but it’s likely different or impossible on other players.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/208052807-controlling-the-app/

Thanks for this. Yeah, I'm on an NVidia Shield and similar to nexus6 I think the problem is the Shield itself. Backing up the playback only works sometimes, and I don't seem to experience the issue when streaming onto other devices like my computer. Comedy option: Stream from PMS on the Shield to computer, Chromecast back to TV the Shield is connected to. :P

Another weird issue I notice sometimes, but the opposite - only on other devices like my computer accessing the Plex media: Missing center channel??? I'm guessing this is something going awry in the demuxing process (since my computer doesn't have surround sound), but even on media I didn't expect to be in 5.1 (like episodes of Always Sunny, although in retrospect of course they would), I get nothing but background walla and effects. Only happens sometimes. Super weird.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For any other Mac Mini nerds, there's a dude on 'that' Facebook group who has a new M1 Mini who is running the existing Plex server under Rosetta (so nowhere near optimized right now) and it was transcoding 6x 4K files to his users without breaking too much of a sweat. Nice.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

We'll have to see how or what gets implemented on the HW transcode side of things. It's just doing CPU encoding right now, and at it's price point it's a very poor option. Video transcoding is something the M1 chips are still behind their intel counterparts on, to say nothing of AMD.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It might be misreporting, but the page he put up specifically says it's doing hardware transcoding. Either way, most non sellers aren't going to be transcoding that kind of quantity in a single session so it bodes well for the little box. I still love my Mini but it's neat to see what the new machine is doing.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

It might be misreporting
There's a chance he built it from source using the ARM base and got it working (I guess) but none of the public builds do HW yet.
The mini is OK if you're into the Apple ecosystem and want it for more than Plex, but the value as a server just doesn't add up.
These boxes can use 7th gen QuickSync, and do 15-20 streams for under $100.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

It might be misreporting, but the page he put up specifically says it's doing hardware transcoding. Either way, most non sellers aren't going to be transcoding that kind of quantity in a single session so it bodes well for the little box. I still love my Mini but it's neat to see what the new machine is doing.

VideoToolbox as an API does not care if the binary calling it is Intel or Apple Silicon. The underlying encoding hardware is the same block as was on the T2.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Khablam posted:

The mini is OK if you're into the Apple ecosystem and want it for more than Plex, but the value as a server just doesn't add up.

Nobody is suggesting that you buy a 2020 M1 Mini, or any full retail Mac, solely as a Plex server.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Strange display bug last night on my Apple TV. After playing the episode, it fixed itself to show E2 in the corner. Also, I kind of prefer the old yellow played bar over the new dot.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Does anyone use Plexamp on iPhone? I love it a lot, but it seems to ignore the setting to always use downloaded media. Which is fine on WiFi but is a pain in my limited mobile data cap. I’ve switched to using Prism which works how I expect it to.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

phosdex posted:

Strange display bug last night on my Apple TV. After playing the episode, it fixed itself to show E2 in the corner. Also, I kind of prefer the old yellow played bar over the new dot.

What dot?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

It's not in that picture, but the watched indicator on Apple TV at least is now a green dot in the upper-right corner.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If I absolutely have to go wireless with a Plex setup (old house, impractical distance to run Cat5e along door frames) what's my best chance hardware combo? I have a Netgear R7000 that's due for replacement because it doesn't do beam forming, and the PS3 receiving the signal has never been great with Wi-Fi and is stuck in a corner next to a fireplace. Something small that could sit up at the same level as the TV would be a plus, simple UI required.

What boggles my mind is that this exact setup was perfectly handling 9Mbps 1080p / DD5.1 a couple months ago and is now unwatchable even when I turn off other radios nearby.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oof 9mbps really shouldn’t be too much to ask. If that’s what your kind of needed bandwidth is, have you considered powerline adapters? They didn’t suit my needs but in my house gave me a constant 25mbps or so which would be enough for most 1080p non remux.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oof 9mbps really shouldn’t be too much to ask. If that’s what your kind of needed bandwidth is, have you considered powerline adapters? They didn’t suit my needs but in my house gave me a constant 25mbps or so which would be enough for most 1080p non remux.

If you happen to have unused coax in your house, another option is ethernet over coax/MoCA. I use a version of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088KV2YYL/ to get from my inconvenient fiber drop to where i want my router

My Plex server itself sits on the other side of powerline adapters from the router, actually

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I do have old powerline adaptors lying around but their performance to a lower floor in this house was trash. They worked great in the last house so I'll try them on the same floor in the morning. Thanks!

E: wow it's something like 25x better and even the PS3 Plex interface is snappy. Thank you both.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 23, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What are people feeling as far as the new Chromecast/Google TV as a client? My older smart TV doesn’t support some of the codecs that youtube-dl is spitting out and I’m mulling over using it as an excuse to grab one. Granted I could just tweak my script to spit out h264 but what’s the fun in that?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I use Chromecasts mainly with Plex, and it works mostly OK. There have been issues here and there, but largely it just works.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Get a roku.
It'll pretty much be a one-stop replacement for anything on your SmartTV and it plays pretty much anything 264/265

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Khablam posted:

Get a roku.
It'll pretty much be a one-stop replacement for anything on your SmartTV and it plays pretty much anything 264/265

I love my 2019 edition roku ultra.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

https://support.plex.tv/articles/hdr-to-sdr-tone-mapping/

Finally 😍

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Plex Pass lifetime membership for $90. This appears to be same as last year's BF pricing so I don't expect it to go lower.
Use promo code SURVIVETHESEASON

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

FCKGW posted:

Plex Pass lifetime membership for $90. This appears to be same as last year's BF pricing so I don't expect it to go lower.
Use promo code SURVIVETHESEASON

Thanks dawg!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

They rolled out 2fa loving finally

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Wondering if I should get Plex Pass. Is that a good price?

A family member pretty much shares all their streaming passwords with us so we pay literally nothing for TV. Would be nice to let them stream from my Plex Library.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's about as good a price you'll get without winning the email lotto. You'll get your value out of it eventually I'm sure, as new and currently unannounced features sometimes get released on Pass before/only. I probably spent more on buying it yearly whenever I needed it than just stumping up for the lifetime.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's about as good a price you'll get without winning the email lotto. You'll get your value out of it eventually I'm sure, as new and currently unannounced features sometimes get released on Pass before/only. I probably spent more on buying it yearly whenever I needed it than just stumping up for the lifetime.

I played myself doing the same.
Although, I did only pay for 4 mo of Monthly so I still saved. $90 for lifetime is a great deal if you plan to use it. You're saving after 18 mo

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I've tried this, and it works well. The output looks very solid, more than enough to stop finding SDR copies for something I suspect I might watch back on an SDR screen. The performance hit is currently pretty high on QuickSync though, which is the default (hw) transcode on Windows.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Astro7x posted:

Wondering if I should get Plex Pass. Is that a good price?

A family member pretty much shares all their streaming passwords with us so we pay literally nothing for TV. Would be nice to let them stream from my Plex Library.

You don't need Plex pass for that

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Echoing this, sharing my library with family over the internet is exactly what I use Plex for and I don't have Plex Pass

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TheScott2K posted:

You can do this without sharing your personal username/password? I thought you needed Plex Pass to do that. Did it change?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Astro7x posted:

You can do this without sharing your personal username/password? I thought you needed Plex Pass to do that. Did it change?

Nope. Plex shares have never needed a Plex Pass. Just need to have whoever you want to share your server with to set up their own Plex account. Once you send an invite to that user, you have the option to choose what libraries on your server that you want to share with that user.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Astro7x posted:

I just added family as managed users so when they set up Plex they just needed me to enter a 4 digit code on plex.tv on my account to verify them and they were in.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nexus6 posted:

I just added family as managed users so when they set up Plex they just needed me to enter a 4 digit code on plex.tv on my account to verify them and they were in.

This is a bad idea unless you like the be the only way for them to re-auth or add another device.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Motronic posted:

This is a bad idea unless you like the be the only way for them to re-auth or add another device.

They aren't going to add a new device or get another TV for years, and even then they just need to text me. Trust me, I've tried to introduce them to tablets but they're only interested in watching stuff on one TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nexus6 posted:

They aren't going to add a new device or get another TV for years, and even then they just need to text me. Trust me, I've tried to introduce them to tablets but they're only interested in watching stuff on one TV.

Yeah, so if they're incapable of creating and logging into a plex account that's one thing, and puts you in a unique situation. But I wouldn't be suggesting this as a gfood idea in the Plex thread. It's more "last resort for people who have zero computer skills".