Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I saw this adaptor that allows non-Tesla EV's to charge at Tesla Level 2 chargers:

https://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=471

This is an adaptor that allows a Telsa AC powering charging station to recharge any car with a J1772 inlet. You can charge your converted car at any of the Tesla destination charging stations, many of which offer free charging. Not compatible in Europe.

Plug any modern EV in North American or Japan into any Alternating Current (AC) powered Tesla UMC / mobile connector / HPWC / wall connector. There are thousands of these throughout North America and Japan. Alternating Current (AC) is the type of electricity in your house or business.

Since Level 2 Tesla Chargers are EVERYWHERE in SoCal, does this make sense to get?

Here's a cheaper one:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LECTRON..._-313326034-_-N

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm pretty sure I saw one that was under $200, maybe there are more. Just to be clear it would not work with a Supercharger. Otherwise if you're having trouble finding a charge, could be worth it??

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Charles posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw one that was under $200, maybe there are more. Just to be clear it would not work with a Supercharger. Otherwise if you're having trouble finding a charge, could be worth it??

There's a bunch of Tesla Level 2 chargers in Malibu (near work) and in La Costa (where I live). Have to think about that.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 17, 2020

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Yeah the main reason I want one is if I'm ever at a hotel with destination charging, I could take advantage of that

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGameVet posted:

There's a bunch of Tesla Level 2 chargers in Malibu (near work) and in La Costa (where I live). Have to think about that.

You drive over 2 hours up the coast and back every day?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

LibCrusher posted:

iirc he does a M-R consultant style schedule

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Interesting...

http://www.setec-power.com/ccs-adapter/. Doing what Tesla won't/hasn't yet.

There have been videos posted on /r/teslamotors and also on TMC of adapters looking just like this charging on CCS Type 1 stations.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

stevewm posted:

Interesting...

http://www.setec-power.com/ccs-adapter/. Doing what Tesla won't/hasn't yet.

There have been videos posted on /r/teslamotors and also on TMC of adapters looking just like this charging on CCS Type 1 stations.

What are the chances of turning your Tesla into a fireball with this?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Westy543 posted:

What are the chances of turning your Tesla into a fireball with this?

Not zero, but it's probably just as fine as the CHAdeMO adapter. I'd like to see someone else test it first though. A Model 3/Y (and I guess the newest S/X) can suck a lot of amps from the fastest CCS chargers. If there's a flaw somewhere, 500A will find it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I need to give this thread a break. Last night I had a dream about using one of those universal plug adapters to charge my EV out on the road on some kind of road trip and it was a real lifesaver.
I don't even own an EV.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like Tesla's discontinuing the $35k Model 3.
https://www.engadget.com/tesla-35k-model-3-sales-done-194908853.html

Was it ever really a thing? I'm guessing their next $25k car will actually be $35k for the first few years before the SR/2wd gets axed too lol.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

VideoGameVet posted:

I saw this adaptor that allows non-Tesla EV's to charge at Tesla Level 2 chargers:

https://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=471

This is an adaptor that allows a Telsa AC powering charging station to recharge any car with a J1772 inlet. You can charge your converted car at any of the Tesla destination charging stations, many of which offer free charging. Not compatible in Europe.

Plug any modern EV in North American or Japan into any Alternating Current (AC) powered Tesla UMC / mobile connector / HPWC / wall connector. There are thousands of these throughout North America and Japan. Alternating Current (AC) is the type of electricity in your house or business.

Since Level 2 Tesla Chargers are EVERYWHERE in SoCal, does this make sense to get?

Here's a cheaper one:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LECTRON..._-313326034-_-N

I have one of these and have been charging a Chevy Spark and Kia Soul EV for a couple years now. It's been great, the only issue is it can expand and get really snug with weather fluctuations, and be really hard to put on all the way or pull off. I also got mine from this site if people want a third option:

http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Was it ever really a thing? I'm guessing their next $25k car will actually be $35k for the first few years before the SR/2wd gets axed too lol.

It may have been briefly available online but in general you had to call or go in person and jump through hoops to get one. They're already exporting made in China Teslas to the EU, they could probably export a fairly cheap version to the US with a lower battery spec.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

It may have been briefly available online but in general you had to call or go in person and jump through hoops to get one. They're already exporting made in China Teslas to the EU, they could probably export a fairly cheap version to the US with a lower battery spec.

Our import tariffs on Chinese goods are too high. Maybe that'll change with the new White House administration, we'll see.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

mobby_6kl posted:

Tesla probably saw almost no one was ordering it to start with even when it was easier to order.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
There's a lot of media focus every single time an EV catches fire especially if it's a Tesla. I saw this today about Chevy Bolts:

https://www.engadget.com/gm-recalls-chevy-bolt-over-battery-fire-reports-230044311.html

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Tesla probably saw almost no one was ordering it to start with even when it was easier to order.

More likely they don't want anyone to order it since it probably only exists so they can say they hit their price target of 35k.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So over the weekend I got a raspberry pi 4 B and installed TeslaMate on it... wow these cars dump a lot of telemetry (and I'm guessing Tesla gets even more)!

Highly recommend it (or if you aren't up to something as involved, there are commercial apps that do it all for you but they do require your tesla login to work).

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

TeslaMate owns. I installed it in May, and logged 5,800 miles. My cost per 100 miles is $0.95.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

gwrtheyrn posted:

More likely they don't want anyone to order it since it probably only exists so they can say they hit their price target of 35k.

Well, yeah. And we all know to ignore any precise numbers coming from Tesla. But its not like they raised the price to a million dollars either. The starting price is now $38k.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Bandire posted:

Well, yeah. And we all know to ignore any precise numbers coming from Tesla. But its not like they raised the price to a million dollars either. The starting price is now $38k.

This point was somehow always lost in the complaints about the $35k vapourcar

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Beffer posted:

This point was somehow always lost in the complaints about the $35k vapourcar

Well, that price cut only happened in May. The actual cheapest Tesla other than the vapourware car was $40k until then. $35k to $40k isn’t a trivial difference.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Yo if you're in California, looks like almost every EV just got $1,500 cheaper? I only saw this today on a happen chance of looking at Tesla's configurator.

https://cleanfuelreward.com/ $1,500 off the msrp, and it stacks with the $2,000 from cvrp. Seems kind of new? Scaling discount on same price from 5 kWh battery, up to full $1,500 at 16 kWh.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Well, that price cut only happened in May. The actual cheapest Tesla other than the vapourware car was $40k until then. $35k to $40k isn’t a trivial difference.

Certainly those two decisions were connected though? And yeah, $5k isn't trivial to most people, but we are actually talking about $3k, which is objectively more trivial than $5k.

Tesla deserves plenty of ire for the stupid poo poo they do, but too much is being made of this mostly ceremonious price increase. If anything they should have been shamed more for artificially maintaining this stupid faux $35k price tag by hiding it and then software-decontenting the car, all so they can hit an arbitrary price promise for PR reasons.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’d wager that the average transaction price for a new Model 3 is well north of $40k anyway.

Given how tenuous Tesla’s ability to produce a $35k Model 3 ever was, I don’t understand the surprise that they’re giving up on the idea. They only just managed it in the first place, and then did just about everything in their power to discourage people from actually buying one at that price. (The software-locked Canadian versions remain hilarious to me.)

It doesn’t change the fact that despite all of the fuss and drama and keyboard thrashing, they still sold over a half-million of the things in three years.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not mad about it since I was never going to buy it anyway. But they made a big deal of the 35k EV and are now doing the same with the 25k one so it's pretty funny.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm not mad about it since I was never going to buy it anyway. But they made a big deal of the 35k EV and are now doing the same with the 25k one so it's pretty funny.
It's more that everyone talks about starting price and ignores the fact that no manufacturer sells more than a token number of zero option vehicles. It's a bigger deal for tesla due to the small number of available options and web configuration method, but not in any way limited to tesla.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

mobby_6kl posted:

Their competition took the $35k price point seriously and built cars that were profitable at that price point. We'll see if the same price race happens again.

Ford has already suggested that a $20k EV is in the pipeline but of course no details except the intended price.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Westy543 posted:

Yo if you're in California, looks like almost every EV just got $1,500 cheaper? I only saw this today on a happen chance of looking at Tesla's configurator.

https://cleanfuelreward.com/ $1,500 off the msrp, and it stacks with the $2,000 from cvrp. Seems kind of new? Scaling discount on same price from 5 kWh battery, up to full $1,500 at 16 kWh.

My Model S hasn't been registered yet but I don't see on their website a way to claim it other than going through the retailer. This rebate isn't limited by MSRP like the CVRP is.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
The Bolt is already down to starting at $28k, and hits 25k with the current Costco discount. I can't imagine it would be that difficult to hit sub 20k in the next few years if you really wanted to try.
GM could probably get close today if they brought the spark EV back

Jimong5 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 18, 2020

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

LibCrusher posted:

I drive up on Tuesday, back home Thursday.

With the (finally!) carpool stickers it's 1:45 to go up from Carlsbad and about 2:00 to go back. Folding bike to get around during the week.

The trip back was as long as 3 hours before I got the stickers, although "active cruising" at 75-80 mph in the car pool lane with stopped traffic to the right is a bit terrifying, but that's what the traffic is doing.

I used to do this with Amtrak (2018-2020) and the bike but with COVID the wife and I agreed that the risk was too great. Hence leasing a Niro EV, which is a really nice car.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jimong5 posted:

The Bolt is already down to starting at $28k, and hits 25k with the current Costco discount. I can't imagine it would be that difficult to hit sub 20k in the next few years if you really wanted to try.
GM could probably get close today if they brought the spark EV back

:yeshaha:

Chevrolet discontinued the Spark EV because, when forced to make an EV, they accidentally made a good one, so they had to kill it and replace it with the Bolt.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Just got a copy of the county permit from Tesla since I need it to file for my state solar rebate.

The permit was issued mid-August. No idea what happened during the two months from mid-August thru mid-October when Tesla kept telling me that they were waiting on the permit to schedule the install.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

RZA Encryption posted:

:yeshaha:

Chevrolet discontinued the Spark EV because, when forced to make an EV, they accidentally made a good one, so they had to kill it and replace it with the Bolt.

I suspect it's because they only sell 20-30k Sparks per year, and in the entire run they didn't even make it to 7500 EVs. Compared to 15-20k Bolts per year.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

VideoGameVet posted:

With the (finally!) carpool stickers it's 1:45 to go up from Carlsbad and about 2:00 to go back. Folding bike to get around during the week.

How long did it take to get your stickers? I’ve been waiting forever!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Honda is starting to aggressively campaign the e here, doing ads on amazon(which is a rarity for items outside the shop)

https://www.honda.it/cars/new/honda-e/offers/honda-e.html

25k€ starting price without the battery rental bullshit(which was the zoe party trick to advertise a less than 30k price) is starting to look good even with the e anemic battery,

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Godholio posted:

I suspect it's because they only sell 20-30k Sparks per year, and in the entire run they didn't even make it to 7500 EVs. Compared to 15-20k Bolts per year.

They sold as many as they wanted to/were forced to. I promise this is the only baseless conspiracy theory I spread on the internet.

It's a good car!! Buy one, they're cheap!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

SlowBloke posted:

Honda is starting to aggressively campaign the e here, doing ads on amazon(which is a rarity for items outside the shop)

https://www.honda.it/cars/new/honda-e/offers/honda-e.html

25k€ starting price without the battery rental bullshit(which was the zoe party trick to advertise a less than 30k price) is starting to look good even with the e anemic battery,

What the gently caress? it starts at 40k CHF here which is €37k.

It's so cute.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Does anyone else find it strange that our EVs have onboard AC chargers? I know it probably sounds dumb but hear me out.

It's not a matter of if but when most new cars will be electric. The high powered onboard chargers in EVs aren't cheap, especially 11kW+ ones. And you can bet the EV manufacturers will be looking at them when considering the bottom line. If we buy AC/DC chargers for our homes, they'll be more expensive, sure, but I bet the lower EV prices will offset that.

We don't have AC chargers in our phones and laptops. And I bet our EVs in 15+ years won't either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It's not unreasonable to think that we'll move towards DC home chargers, especially if we're also going towards V2G type applications as well. Integrated with solar etc. it could be quite efficient.