Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

It was even funnier to dunk Crusher, ffs

It's the holodeck, ain't nobody drowning, lighten up

Yeah but children do funny things, and you still got to reprimand them (even if you think its funny) because you dont want to encourage that behavior (and also because children dont know when to stop and would take it way past the point of being funny)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Were they concerned Data might find it extremely funny to turn off the safety protocols and capsize the vessel?

I mean I would but that's from the other side of the screen

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I am saying that Data is, essentially, a child.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

And they're essentially in a holographic ballpit

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pulaski was mean to Data for like two fuckin episodes before coming around on him. I don't know why every time she comes up people think she constantly disrespected him and never changed.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Johnny Aztec posted:

I am saying that Data is, essentially, a child.

Tasha “yikes” Yar

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Pulaski was mean to Data for like two fuckin episodes before coming around on him. I don't know why every time she comes up people think she constantly disrespected him and never changed.

Because "coming around" was "didn't constantly say he was just a machine, only sometimes"

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Because in these threads, jokes turn into memes, which mutate into shared opinions and until everyone forgets the original take was hyperbole.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

data running amok is a feature not a bug

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Brawnfire posted:

It was even funnier to dunk Crusher, ffs

It's the holodeck, ain't nobody drowning, lighten up

Maybe everyone immediately remembered the times Data

Stabbed a woman's neck
Commandeered the ship
Got possessed by ancient gods
Got possessed by ghosts
Hardbored a sociopath's disembodied consciousness
Became a space drunk gently caress toy
Conspired with aliens to mind-wipe the entire crew
Tried to murder a guy with a slow-killing torture phaser
Was replaced by an evil twin
Was emotionally manipulated by his evil twin

So instead of enjoying pool party shenanigans everyone was just on edge about whether the pasty robot is turning into a death machine again

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Stabbed a woman's neck
Commandeered the ship
Got possessed by ancient gods
Got possessed by ghosts
Hardbored a sociopath's disembodied consciousness
Became a space drunk gently caress toy
Conspired with aliens to mind-wipe the entire crew
Tried to murder a guy with a slow-killing torture phaser
Was replaced by an evil twin
Was emotionally manipulated by his evil twin

He didn't stab troi. He stabbed the invisible parasite that was attacking troi.

Also you gonna claim gently caress toy is a reason to be worried when riker is standing right there? Hell, picard did more banging.

He was under orders to conspire with the aliens to mind-wipe the crew.

It isn't murder if it's defensive use of a firearm.

I'll give you the ancient gods thing. Although EVERYONE had been possessed by ghosts at some point.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Hell I’m being possessed by ghosts this very minute

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I mean yea, aren't we all just meat mechas being haunted by our own ghosts?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

CainFortea posted:

I mean yea, aren't we all just meat mechas being haunted by our own ghosts?

God I wish my ghosts were my own. I'm just sort of their mean average

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
stand in the ashes of a trillion dead memes, and ask your ghosts if the lols matter

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

alexandriao posted:

I still hate Pulaski for degrading him so often. In the Moriarty episode she almost outright stated he wasn't a person.

She was salty because Data kept declining her requests to demonstrate his "multiple techniques" in the "fully functional" dept.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

To be fair, she was right, Data wouldn't have felt anything about her being mean to him

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Gotta suck being Data (not that he would know).

His android hog is blasting your hole at a frequency that would shatter the Crystalline Entity, and you're orgasming at Salamander-Speed. . . yet he feels nothing. He's just working you over with "smile #73-D" and calculating how many pico-seconds until the Enterprise's level 3 diagnostic is done.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Blistex posted:

calculating how many pico-seconds until the Enterprise's level 3 diagnostic is done.

If you're not doing this, you're doing it wrong

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Dr Crusher owned. She had personality and depth, moreso than Troi, whose identity was "mmm chocolate, emotions." She even took a punch from that Klingon scientist (lol) and got right back up

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

they cast sirtis completely wrong they should have gone with a more slapstick style of comedy for troi

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
*Principal Skinner meme*

Is there something wrong with me?

No, it’s the universe that’s wrong!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

crusher>troi>a trash can>pulaski

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's interesting to compare crusher and geordi. there's no fundamental difference between how they solved problems: technobabble, technobabble, and more technobabble. but geordi the expert engineer was the go-to guy for a lot of episodes, while crusher's medical expertise was usually either ineffectual or an afterthought. she served to enable what the current story was about, and even in the episode with worf's spine where the outcome was solely dependent on her efforts it was still mostly about worf's feelings.

maybe they should have put a deflector dish in sickbay.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i mean above any other starfleet doctor, crusher gives the air of extreme competence

thats a character trait tbqh

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

shes basically running a hospital and it always seems to be working well

contrast to voyager who made the pilot a nurse

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Crusher's big trait people often forget was that she was the absolutely morally incorruptible one, even compared to everyone else on the Enterprise-D. Other people would be like 'hmm maybe we should turn this disconnected borg drone into a weapon' and she's like 'dude no gently caress you he has rights'.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If Beverly had been on Voyager she and Tuvix would've been the only survivors

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

If Beverly had been on Voyager she and Tuvix would've been the only survivors

Shortly after that they’d run across the Ferengi with the wormhole and get home immediately. show over, nice and short. Good job Bev.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

MikeJF posted:

Crusher's big trait people often forget was that she was the absolutely morally incorruptible one, even compared to everyone else on the Enterprise-D. Other people would be like 'hmm maybe we should turn this disconnected borg drone into a weapon' and she's like 'dude no gently caress you he has rights'.

They should never have made it possible to "come back" from being Borged.

Short of just cloning a person and uploading a backup copy of their mind. They make it so you just do a little surgery and oh hey right as rain, good as new

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Picard remained true to the spirit of Trek by loving The Borg up again.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I like how Pulaski said his name wrong on purpose.

she was so good its such a shame they didnt keep her on permanently

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

infernal machines posted:

Sure, sure. The android does weird poo poo and sometimes randomly stabs people or hijacks the ship under "suspicious" circumstances. This is fine. We work with this guy every day and we know he's got our back, unless it's one of those days.

Don't get me wrong, it's not just Data, any given member of the command crew might get "mind controlled" or "possessed by and alien entity" or "bodily replaced by an exact duplicate" or whatever and just phaser you down in the hallway one day. I can't imagine working for Starfleet HR

I'm only half-joking when I say that if they beached everyone who ever got their minds messed with, Starfleet wouldn't have enough people to crew half their ships. Like, that's probably a rite of passage in some circles of Starfleet.

"Awwwww, yeah, little Lieutenant Jacobsen finally got their first brain-job!"

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

S P A C E M A D N E S S

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

trying to murder the crew is the star fleet equivalent of getting a master's

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah at least on the Enterprise usually when the people get mind-whammied Data doesn't or vice versa so there's someone who can clean up the mess.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The terrible secret of space is that it's so boring you start trying to come up with increasingly implausible explanations for killing your crew mates, just to see when they'll catch on

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Yeah at least on the Enterprise usually when the people get mind-whammied Data doesn't or vice versa so there's someone who can clean up the mess.

Yeah you always need at least one Vulcan or android or something on your bridge for the episodes where something takes out all the weakass humans and Worf

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

1 god 1 starship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

womb with a view posted:

Yeah you always need at least one Vulcan or android or something on your bridge for the episodes where something takes out all the weakass humans and Worf

The Ds9 episode where everyone goes paranoid but Odo so he uses Bashir's paranoia and scheming to neutralize the... Whatever the gently caress it was that affected the, The episode was on today but I was working during it.