Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I have an Index arriving tomorrow and a good friend across the country has a Rift (the original consumer headset + touch controllers).

What are your favorite 2 player coop games we can try together?

So far, I want to try:
- Tabletop Simulator
- Dungeon Knight
- Maybe some survival mode in Pavlov? (I'm really looking for games to play with just the two of us though.)
- VR chat

The Index isn't my first headset so I'm familiar with the basics already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I have an Index arriving tomorrow and a good friend across the country has a Rift (the original consumer headset + touch controllers).

So far, I want to try:
- Tabletop Simulator
- Dungeon Knight
- Maybe some survival mode in Pavlov? (I'm really looking for games to play with just the two of us though.)
- VR chat

I'm not sure how well it works on the Index through revive, but Stormland is awesome and has good coop support (although you do have to play like 45 minutes into the game before it unlocks).

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There needs to be an empirical testing suite for VR tracking. Something that tests for how tracking drops are handled, how mirrors and certain amounts or kinds of light affect tracking, how well it holds up to body occlusion etc

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

So far, I want to try:
- Tabletop Simulator
- Dungeon Knight
- VR chat

Jet Island.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

Just because it might be possible to fix something (and I wouldn't say that's for sure due to the camera placement), doesn't mean it will be. The HTC Cosmos had all those problems and more at launch and, uh, still does

Not that they couldn't, but it's Microsoft's tech and the Mixed Reality headsets have been out there for years at this point

Just use the Knuckles with the G2 and problem solved, boom!

I heard this can actually be quite god drat janky but I'm going to be trying it anyway because gently caress the G2 controllers.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Stick100 posted:

Sorry you sent it back. I have personally used Quest 1 and 2 outside a ton of times successfully. It can work when it's heavily overcast but it's much more easy to get it working at night. You need a REALLY bright light, but if you get one it works well. It works in a huge field, you don't need to be indoors at all. I got something like this for free:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

(1000 watt halogen flood) and it works perfectly covering an area that fills the max guardian. No need for a second light. A huge IR blaster would probably work and I would have bought one if I didn't have one of these lights just around.

How on earth are you people running around in open fields at night with a goddamn VR headset on and not getting beat up by jocks mugged or something

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

So far, I want to try:
- Tabletop Simulator
- Dungeon Knight
- VR chat

- Payday 2 (free VR DLC, and the base game is like $2.50 during Steam sales)
- Elite Dangerous, though its co-op is notoriously janky.
- Phasmophobia
- Sairento (your slomo only affects a "sphere" around you, so you won't constantly slow each other down)
- Vox Machinae (compstomp)
- Zero Caliber (I haven't played, but a friend said it's fun in co-op)

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

ROFLBOT posted:

Yes when the Rift S came out there was a lot of hand-wringing about tracking loss close to the chest/over shoulders etc
I personally never experienced this at all (presumably i just didnt play whatever game(s) it was that required specific positions where tracking would drop) but it was patched out anyway and now the Rift S tracking is about as solid as you can get

The Rift S and Quest had their tracking issues mostly ironed out within two months of release.

Windows Mixed Reality for VR headsets launched three years ago, and Microsoft have mostly left it to rot. I don't see a reason to expect major tracking improvements coming down the line any time soon.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

So far, I want to try:
- Tabletop Simulator
- Dungeon Knight
- VR chat

Payday 2

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Oh, and while you'll be stuck waiting for 3 other players to queue (give us private matches!! :argh: ), Star Wars Squadrons has an online PvE mode that is basically a space moba. Not quite as thrilling as PvP, but it's still loads of fun and lets you do sick Star Wars poo poo. High-speed A-Wing strafing runs against a vulnerable Star Destroyer will always feel loving cool :allears:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

ROFLBOT posted:

Yes when the Rift S came out there was a lot of hand-wringing about tracking loss close to the chest/over shoulders etc
I personally never experienced this at all (presumably i just didnt play whatever game(s) it was that required specific positions where tracking would drop) but it was patched out anyway and now the Rift S tracking is about as solid as you can get

it was rough before the patches, but Facebook money meant that they could throw some really capable people on it and it's really good now.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So I have been dicking around with a direct wifi connection between Quest and my PC.
It works, it really does. I just set up my PC as a hotspot and the new connection appears in the settings inside the headset, I connect and all is good.
Apart from the bandwith, in the headset Virtual Desktop says I am getting 144 mbs and it's very low. In games head tracking is fine but the rest makes it unusable. waving my hands in front of me produces such amazing amounts of lag that it's not viable at all.
What is frustrating is it feels like it's an issue with how Windows handles the connection, rather than an issue with the Quest or Virtual Desktop.
The settings for the wifi card are in a dusty corner of Windows settings in options that feel right out of Win Nt4 :lol:
I am thinking I might try a different wifi card as it is pretty cool.
the only reason I am doing this is because I have a spare wifi connection from my PC and a direct connection would be sweet.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

So I have been dicking around with a direct wifi connection between Quest and my PC...

I tried the same thing using my brand new motherboard's wifi6 adapter and it just drops the connection after a couple of minutes. It really seems like windows is failing to route so much bandwidth virtually.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

playground tough posted:

I tried the same thing using my brand new motherboard's wifi6 adapter and it just drops the connection after a couple of minutes. It really seems like windows is failing to route so much bandwidth virtually.

There is an archaic setting deep in the settings I found that is a dropdown that either says 'auto' or '20hz' and that seems relevant.
I've sort of got to the point where it's a personal challenge to get this working, my connection is solid but slow.
After running command prompt to see what my wifi card supports it does not list 5ghz so I am gonna get a better adapter as I just don't think this Intel chipset is cutting it, I only got the card for bluetooth so never even considered the wifi specs at all

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

peter gabriel posted:

So I have been dicking around with a direct wifi connection between Quest and my PC.
It works, it really does. I just set up my PC as a hotspot and the new connection appears in the settings inside the headset, I connect and all is good.
Apart from the bandwith, in the headset Virtual Desktop says I am getting 144 mbs and it's very low. In games head tracking is fine but the rest makes it unusable. waving my hands in front of me produces such amazing amounts of lag that it's not viable at all.
What is frustrating is it feels like it's an issue with how Windows handles the connection, rather than an issue with the Quest or Virtual Desktop.
The settings for the wifi card are in a dusty corner of Windows settings in options that feel right out of Win Nt4 :lol:
I am thinking I might try a different wifi card as it is pretty cool.
the only reason I am doing this is because I have a spare wifi connection from my PC and a direct connection would be sweet.

What network card are you using on your PC and how far from you from it,? I do a direct connection and it's pretty good, though not leaps and bounds better than through the router. I don't think it's worth it unless you're using a WiFi 6 card though.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lockback posted:

What network card are you using on your PC and how far from you from it,? I do a direct connection and it's pretty good, though not leaps and bounds better than through the router. I don't think it's worth it unless you're using a WiFi 6 card though.

I am near to the PC but the card itself was totally a 'grab one at the local PC shop' type thing, like I say I bought it just to connect a bluetooth xbox pad to my PC really, so it's absolutely nothing fancy.
I am gonna get a decent bit of hardware, it's a fools errand and I know that but gently caress it, it's something to geek out about if nothing else :)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Synonymous posted:

How on earth are you people running around in open fields at night with a goddamn VR headset on and not getting beat up by jocks mugged or something

I get beaten up by jocks while playing VR in the safety of my home, there's really no avoiding it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Synonymous posted:

The people who are waiting their turn and having a beer provide covering fire.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
My wife unexpectedly told me to get us a VR headset and... should I just hold my nose over facebook shenanigans and get the Quest? The Index is probably a cost too far, and while I could get her to the Cosmos it sounds like it's awkwardly good but not good enough? My wife's mostly interested in Beat Saber in Pistol Whip, but ideally I'd like to be able to fire up Squadrons and my other sims

marumaru
May 20, 2013

dupersaurus posted:

My wife unexpectedly told me to get us a VR headset and... should I just hold my nose over facebook shenanigans and get the Quest? The Index is probably a cost too far, and while I could get her to the Cosmos it sounds like it's awkwardly good but not good enough? My wife's mostly interested in Beat Saber in Pistol Whip, but ideally I'd like to be able to fire up Squadrons and my other sims

don't get a cosmos.

quest is the relatively safer choice, but you can get a Reverb G2 (if you can find one) or a used headset

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

peter gabriel posted:

I am near to the PC but the card itself was totally a 'grab one at the local PC shop' type thing, like I say I bought it just to connect a bluetooth xbox pad to my PC really, so it's absolutely nothing fancy.
I am gonna get a decent bit of hardware, it's a fools errand and I know that but gently caress it, it's something to geek out about if nothing else :)

Oh yeah, I tried it on a USB Wifi stick I had that works fine as a receiver but was unplayable on hotspot.

If you have a free m.2 this is what I'm using and it works great. To get 5GHZ to work you need to connect to a 5ghz network first THEN turn on hotspot. Apparently that's a Windows thing.
https://www.newegg.com/intel-wi-fi-6-ax200/p/N82E16833106102

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

I know there will be people who come out of the woodwork, but honestly I've seen basically no impact on linking a fb account. I have to have one anyway to share kid pictures and stuff so its less of a deal for me but it's not like you get notifications or anything.

The ease of access in the Q2 is just really good. I dunno how techy your wife is but being able to just "pick up and play" is a lot easier on a Q2 than a tethered PCVR (not that a tethered is hard, but you gotta make sure nothing else is going on with your PC).

I think the G2 will be a good option with maybe some updates to tracking. Otherwise there's good used headsets out there.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Lockback posted:

Oh yeah, I tried it on a USB Wifi stick I had that works fine as a receiver but was unplayable on hotspot.

If you have a free m.2 this is what I'm using and it works great. To get 5GHZ to work you need to connect to a 5ghz network first THEN turn on hotspot. Apparently that's a Windows thing.

Does doing this improve the connection enough to be worth the hassle over the router? I have a 5/6 wifi adapter on my motherboard if it is.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lockback posted:

Oooh nice, thanks for the tip.
I do have a spare m.2 slot so that's a consideration for sure, also the pcie card I currently have is just an m.2 slot with the intel adapter in it.
Feels like a 'so near yet so far' thing and I want to figure it out, I have ordered https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/USB-AC68/

Reason being I'd be blown away to be able to do this on a laptop at some point and having a good usb wifi adapter is always worth having hanging around.

My set up at the moment is:
PC connects to my router (3 floors down) using powerline using my wired ethernet connection - this works well.
So, the wireless wifi doesn't connect to the internet at all, just purely to the Quest.

If I get it all working well I'll be happy but if not, ah well!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

unfortunately the Facebook Quest 2 really is the best entrypoint right now

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
If you have beat saber on PC for the quest 2 but then want to take it somewhere else and want to play, do you have to buy it again through the quest store or are there other ways? Same goes for any game I guess.

Also can the quest version of it play the custom community songs?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Shine posted:

- Payday 2 (free VR DLC, and the base game is like $2.50 during Steam sales)
- Elite Dangerous, though its co-op is notoriously janky.
- Phasmophobia
- Sairento (your slomo only affects a "sphere" around you, so you won't constantly slow each other down)
- Vox Machinae (compstomp)
- Zero Caliber (I haven't played, but a friend said it's fun in co-op)

Good news, Elite Dangerous is going to be free to keep starting tomorrow on the Epic Games Store until Nov 26th.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

So far, I want to try:
- Tabletop Simulator
- Dungeon Knight
- VR chat

I haven't tried it but Sam & Dan - Floaty Flatmates is free ("donationware") and has good reviews:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/978270/Sam__Dan_Floaty_Flatmates/

Baby Proof fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 18, 2020

Veotax
May 16, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Good news, Elite Dangerous is going to be free to keep starting tomorrow on the Epic Games Store until Nov 26th.

Also the first expansion is now free for everyone since the upcoming expansion requires it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Spikes32 posted:

Does doing this improve the connection enough to be worth the hassle over the router? I have a 5/6 wifi adapter on my motherboard if it is.

If its working fine with your router probably not. My PC/ideal playing space is far away from my router. So even them the difference is pretty small (10-15% better latency, smoother connection after the first few minutes for me). Routers are really, really good at what they do.

If you want to play with it or are trying to solve a problem then go for it, but if things are working fine it's probably not worth the hassle.

KingKapalone posted:

If you have beat saber on PC for the quest 2 but then want to take it somewhere else and want to play, do you have to buy it again through the quest store or are there other ways? Same goes for any game I guess.

Yes, you need to buy it again if you want the quest version. Some games are crossbuy, but I don't think Beat Saber is. You can play it with Link or Virtual desktop though (that's what I do).

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Synonymous posted:

I have a suburb fenced yard area larger than Quest max guardian (I believe 25 feet by 25 feet).

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 18, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

dupersaurus posted:

Does you wife want to depend on the gaming computer, and being tethered to it, to play some Beat Saber or Pistol Whip?

Do you even want to have the gaming computer occupied by her while she plays Beat Saber so you can't play other games?

Hell, if she interested in 'fit'/light workout type of games like BS or PW, she will really prefer a standalone system.

In other words, it all points out to Quest 2 being the ideal choice. Hell you still can use it as a pc headset for Squadrons.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Turin Turambar posted:

Does you wife want to depend on the gaming computer, and being tethered to it, to play some Beat Saber or Pistol Whip?

Yeah I thought about that more after posting and that's the real selling point. So I'm convinced.

Turin Turambar posted:

Hell you still can use it as a pc headset for Squadrons.

Also that, I forgot that they added the tethered option.

Thanks all

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dupersaurus posted:

Also that, I forgot that they added the tethered option.

Depending on your network setup, it can even work wirelessly.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

canyoneer posted:

How do I play that in VR if it's not on steamvr? (i'm using rift s)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

whalestory posted:

How do I play that in VR if it's not on steamvr? (i'm using rift s)

It has native VR support, so you choose your display in the options in game, I got the stand alone version and it doesn't boot up Steam VR or anything

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Also I played through A Fisherman's Tale last night, and it was extremely fun and cute.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Inacio posted:

unfortunately the Facebook Quest 2 really is the best entrypoint right now

For what it's worth, here's what I did for a Facebook account:

Made an account using my real name and birthday (in case I need to verify it for some reason) and no other personal information. Put a picture of an Oculus as my profile picture. Made a bio that says "I made this account for Oculus login purposes, and probably won't see it if you message me about personal stuff!" Made one post saying the same thing. Followed an Oculus account and liked a couple posts there. At least so far, that seems to have been enough to get it past whatever algorithm bans suspected bot accounts. YMMV.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

StarkRavingMad posted:

For what it's worth, here's what I did for a Facebook account:

Made an account using my real name and birthday (in case I need to verify it for some reason) and no other personal information. Put a picture of an Oculus as my profile picture. Made a bio that says "I made this account for Oculus login purposes, and probably won't see it if you message me about personal stuff!" Made one post saying the same thing. Followed an Oculus account and liked a couple posts there. At least so far, that seems to have been enough to get it past whatever algorithm bans suspected bot accounts. YMMV.

If you get hit, PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

So far, I want to try:
- Tabletop Simulator
- Dungeon Knight
- VR chat

You'll have to run revive, but I'd recommend checking out "from other suns" its a roguelike, FTL ripoff, but you play in first person obviously, and can play co-op. Try to make it back to earth, every encounter randomized, weapons randomized, fight enemy ships, beam down to space stations, fight off invaders, get loot, weapons, and purchase upgrades and crew for your ship. Like I said its an FTL clone, down to the nuts and bolts pretty much, but, heck, theres worse things you could do than copy a good game, and at least its polished and not an early access kinda thing.

Its a lot of good fun for a small co-op group.

I didn't see anyone mention them, but arizona sunshine, and killing floor incursion can both be played co-op, and if you don't mind playing with a couple of random people as well, star trek bridge crew is good for a laugh.

KingKapalone posted:

Also can the quest version of it play the custom community songs?

Beat Saber specifically you would have to buy again, as well as any game purchased through steam/epic/uplay/windows store, etc. However some games do feature cross buy between the oculus store on PC and quest so you can play both versions with one purchase, and an even fewer amount of games feature cross saving as well so you can pick up where you left off. It seems like they're trying to make that more the thing going forward, so even big non oculus stuff like walking dead is cross buy, but its still up to the individual developers if they want to allow it.