Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Last I heard it wasn't bearing up under the strain.

"The victory of the airplane over the bear is but a momentary reprieve from nature's relentless massacre of the human race. The airplane won this battle, but it cannot win the war."

-Werner Herzog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Guess that cowling couldn’t bear the impact force.

Yeah, engine cowlings aren’t typically load bearing.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I assume the remains were pretty grizzly

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Derails like this really show how goons are polar opposites when it comes to puns.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
This thread is unbearable.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008
Bearing witness to such an incident. The humanity!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

e.pilot posted:

Yeah, engine cowlings aren’t typically load bearing.

But are they bear loading?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
They got confused when the tower said to maintain runway bearing

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

dupersaurus posted:

They got confused when the tower said to maintain runway bearing

"Alaska Airlines Flight 66 you are not cleared to land, we are runway de-bearing 15"
became
"Alaska Airlines Flight 6 you are *ksh* cleared to land *kssssh* runway *ksh* bearing 15"

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Oh what a thing to bear witness to

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ok DeptfordX you can do this, I see how this works.

*Clears throat*

"BEARS!"

Nailed it.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

i own every Bionicle posted:

I didn’t even know bears could fly

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-airlines/flying-fish/ how do you think this really happened.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Wanna ride that salmon thirty salmon

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wanna ride that salmon thirty salmon

You can catch them when they go up river to spawn.

(reviving a thread classic)

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

The bear should have duct.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

The bear should have duct.

The bear was clearly very, very low bypass.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Gonna need a Grindr to buff that out!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Gonna need a Grindr to buff that out!

This is getting hairy.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Engine got bruined

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

e.pilot posted:

This is getting hairy.

We need some way of harnessing these puns to make the thread more bearable

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I'm gonna have to hibernate from this thread for a while.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought this got a Vikings funeral last night.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

hobbesmaster posted:

For some reason, it baloo up again.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
https://twitter.com/eppman/status/1329028849489862656?s=19

A year late, but better than never!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Did they fix the issue where the plane would fix its bearing at the ground?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So when is Boeing going to announce a re-branding to try and shake the stigma and what are they going to call it?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

So when is Boeing going to announce a re-branding to try and shake the stigma and what are they going to call it?

Based on focus group's good feelings about perceived safety of the name they've chosen "Airbus 320"

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

slidebite posted:

They aren't going to announce it, they're just going to slowly phase it out, it's already happening.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hobbesmaster posted:

Ursa cha whiner.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

slidebite posted:

I’m sure I read that Ryanair had removed the ‘max’ part of the name from the sides of theirs so pax wouldn’t notice it was a max they were getting on. Maybe apocryphal but well it is Ryanair.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Boeing's own announcements are already saying its the its the 737-8 and 737-9 returning to service with no mention of the word "Max".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m sure -900 and -800 customers are just thrilled with that change.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

"Oh no! This delta flight is a 737"
"Which kind? I didn't think delta had the bad ones"
"Nine hundred E R"
"Thats fine, its the eight and nine that are the problem"
"Right! Its a nine!"
"...hundred ER"
"Looks like I can get an ERJ to Detroit and then an airbus instead I'll do that. I really want to make sure I get this xbox one x to my nephew for christmas"
"...you mean series x right"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Presumably the type code will still be 7M8 etc?

Looking forward to people pulling the samsung processor lottery poo poo with airline tickets. "Oh yeah they're both labeled as 737-900 but if you see here you want type code 739, not 7M9. I'd just cancel that ticket right now"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I feel like right now, the sort of people who would be intensely paranoid about flying a MAX because of flaws that were corrected, then they're probably also paranoid about the general danger of being on a metal tube filled with a bunch of strangers in the middle of a pandemic, and would choose not to fly in the first place.

More people are dying daily of COVID-19 in America per day than died in all MAX accidents.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

PT6A posted:

More people are dying daily of COVID-19 in America per day than died in all MAX accidents.

Which doesn't make a failure mode in which the plane yeets itself at the ground okay.

That said, I actually have confidence that Boeing fixed it, if only because of the damage it would do to shareholder value if another MAX turned into a smoking crater.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

PT6A posted:

Yeah but with COVID-19 you're not dying because of some other person's incompet...hmm, nevermind.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

Which doesn't make a failure mode in which the plane yeets itself at the ground okay.

That said, I actually have confidence that Boeing fixed it, if only because of the damage it would do to shareholder value if another MAX turned into a smoking crater.

I have confidence Boeing thinks they fixed it, but is Boeing capable of making that determination anymore?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Wow with all the other poo poo going on in 2020 I had honestly forgotten about the max. Honestly I'm sure the vast majority of the flying public has too. Can't wait to see what shitshow my airline will come up with when it comes time to retrain all of us on the 737

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Did the Max issue come down to a specific set of conditions causing the glitch or was it random?