Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

world without zinc simpsons clip goes here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

An actor who writes his own technobabble, hat's off to him!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I had to click on the Twitter profile because I wanted to confirm that was indeed the artist of the comic book making fun of those goofballs. I met him at comicon one year, super cool dude.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm reading through the comic now and think it's a smart move that they threw out the entire idea that the Boys mostly just sit around gathering dirt on superheroes. Not only is it gross (since a lot of supes are just gay and not out), but also because I feel like it's just kind of dumb and uncreative that aloof supes are held in check by such a mechanic. For the world the comic created, I guess it kind of works, but I don't think you could translate that to live action.

Also, wtf is with the way Annie is drawn. At one point Vought marketing guys talk about revamping her character and giving her a boob job. There's literally no room left for implants.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

davidspackage posted:

Also, wtf is with the way Annie is drawn. At one point Vought marketing guys talk about revamping her character and giving her a boob job. There's literally no room left for implants.

comics, by their standards every human alive today is an A cup. much like my animes

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
If my waifu doesn't have h cup breasts, can it even really be considered love?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

davidspackage posted:

I'm reading through the comic now and think it's a smart move that they threw out the entire idea that the Boys mostly just sit around gathering dirt on superheroes. Not only is it gross (since a lot of supes are just gay and not out), but also because I feel like it's just kind of dumb and uncreative that aloof supes are held in check by such a mechanic. For the world the comic created, I guess it kind of works, but I don't think you could translate that to live action.

The television adaptation is more... Accessible to people who aren't 14 year old boys (pun unintended). The comic is essentially on a mission to make as much messed up stuff as one can fit on a page, the teevee show at least sort of presents The Boys as relatable characters. They still mess up, and even petit Hughie's real introduction to the viewers / the team is a gruesome murder, but you can't really escape the premise that actually having super heroes would be absolutely awful, and people trying to contain them have to do awful things too. Now, that whale definitely didn't deserve it, but it was still funny. I mean, loving diabolical.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-Jk0E4alrY

Supposedly Jack Quaid is a huge Aunty Donna fan, so he got all the cast into their YouTube channel, so they reached out to be on the show. Jack's in another episode.

I recommend it!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Rappaport posted:

The television adaptation is more... Accessible to people who aren't 14 year old boys (pun unintended). The comic is essentially on a mission to make as much messed up stuff as one can fit on a page, the teevee show at least sort of presents The Boys as relatable characters. They still mess up, and even petit Hughie's real introduction to the viewers / the team is a gruesome murder, but you can't really escape the premise that actually having super heroes would be absolutely awful, and people trying to contain them have to do awful things too. Now, that whale definitely didn't deserve it, but it was still funny. I mean, loving diabolical.

Actually it wasn't funny at all because even though the whale was fake it was still supposed to be an animal suffering in agony before death and I actually missed most of the scene because all I could think about is "someone please put the suffering animal out of its misery holy poo poo this is hosed up".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:lol:

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
The rest of the boys having a heart to heart with Hughie with a literal beating heart behind them is undeniably funny

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

I am Reverend posted:

The rest of the boys having a heart to heart with Hughie with a literal beating heart behind them is undeniably funny

I deny it.

Y'all are some sociopaths if all you thought was "yeah it's a fake CGI whale nbd and lol"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nah, it was funny. Not saying you're wrong for caring, but it was funny.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's a sad and satirical scene meant to evoke empathy and laughter. Anyone who feels more of one and less of the other is perfectly justified.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

it's a black comedy scene in a black comedy show, I'd settle down with calling people sociopaths for laughing at a scene that was very deliberately meant to be funny

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

davidspackage posted:

See, I actually disagree with this to an extent; the fact that they dont gather dirt on the heroes and arent superpowered in the show kind of gives a silly bend to the fact that they're getting one over on the supes. It's also a pretty good grounding of the supes to reality that they all have exploitable vices, though they get pretty cartoonish.

The outing in the first arc is pretty crass, yeah. If it's any consolation, there's a gay/homophobia-centric arc later into the series that I think handles the subject well enough for 2006. I give it a small amount of lenience because the comic was made around the time that this was the height of "liberal" comedy:
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/865055182652100608?s=20

(Though going off Dear Becky, Ennis hasnt developed much on this)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Elephant Ambush posted:

I deny it.

Y'all are some sociopaths if all you thought was "yeah it's a fake CGI whale nbd and lol"

Do you just not have any empathy for all the innocent people on the show being constantly murdered or is watching this show just an endless cascade of torture for you?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I thought the dying whale was real and I laughed my rear end off.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The whale wasn't CGI actually. It was a life-size prop.

Edit: I think Hughie's actor was a little traumatized by it

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"A little trauma brings out the drama!" - Stanley Kubrick, probably

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

In the first 60 seconds of the show Huey's girlfriend gets fangoriously exploded all over him. A little Deadwhale5 is just more grease for the black satirical comedy machine.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Owlbear Camus posted:

In the first 60 seconds of the show Huey's girlfriend gets fangoriously exploded all over him. A little Deadwhale5 is just more grease for the black satirical comedy machine.

"Ambergris for the black comedy machine" was right there.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Elephant Ambush posted:

I deny it.

Someone gets sexually assaulted in the first episode and fake whale is where you want to sternly lecture everyone about how they are sociopaths?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

It also shows (once again) how The Deep loves aquatic life and constantly puts it in danger for his own self-gain. Explode that whale again, imo.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

having a whale of a time when the characters shoved a bomb up someone's rear end and detonate it. but an actual whale? psychos.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I just saw Monty Python and the Holy Grail and anyone who laughed at that scene with the black knight is a sociopath. A man got ALL HIS LIMBS CUT OFF.

I had to stop the movie and go have a cry, and that's the only acceptable reaction.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Nobody tell them about the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Tip posted:

I just saw Monty Python and the Holy Grail and anyone who laughed at that scene with the black knight is a sociopath. A man got ALL HIS LIMBS CUT OFF.

I had to stop the movie and go have a cry, and that's the only acceptable reaction.

I'm shaking

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
"This is hosed, oh my God, this whole thing is just hosed" - me when I get the king of hearts in poker

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Another Bill posted:

I thought the dying whale was real and I laughed my rear end off.

To me it even more hilarious being another roast of Marvel movies like the strong super hero pose by Deep before the speedboat shoots through the whale.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

zoux posted:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Elephant Ambush posted:

I deny it.

Lighten up, Francis

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

zoux posted:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I really feel like I realized what was going to happen at the same time as everyone in the boat and it was a real moment.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Another Bill posted:

I really feel like I realized what was going to happen at the same time as everyone in the boat and it was a real moment.

The whole scene had an absurd feeling to it. Like, when you watch the show, all the characters and the setting are really engrossing. And for a bit, you forget how it's a grown up super hero comic movie and think of it as a drama or a political action show, like the opposite of 24( including being actually good).

Then they drive a boat through a whale, and

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 19, 2020

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

at the time i was wondering about Hugh tossing a life preserver with the ship's name on it next to a police helicopter crash coming back to bite them, but looks like nope

boy has terrible criminal instincts

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It was a stolen boat, not sure what sort of lead the life preserver would end up being

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

imagine caring about cops lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys I just got done watching Star Wars, and did anyone else have to literally go vomit and claw their eyes out with a teaspoon because the Rebels killed like 1,000,000 Imperials when the Death Star blew up?