Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

wiegieman posted:

Why would he come back as an Ork god? They've got those, what they need are good enemies.

Orks fight each other more than they do any other faction. And if Orks have been worshipping Him too it might affect His resurrection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

White Coke posted:

Orks fight each other more than they do any other faction. And if Orks have been worshipping Him too it might affect His resurrection.

Well yeah. Dere aint no git in da galaxy who's betta at fightin dan an Ork

Also - Dere's 4 Chaosy Godz. They aint real gods, but their boyz is a good warmup.
Then dere's Gork AND Mork. Da most out dere Ork Godz koz Cunnin' Brutality and Brutal Cunnin' are important for being Ded Ard.
Den dere's da Emprah of da Humies. Who's basically an Ork coz he makes humiez be worth fitin/
And dere's Khaine, who only shows up after killin an Eldar and likez ta get stuck in. Which iz proppa Orky behavia. And Killin one of dem poncy gitz iz alwayz a gud thing. Dey just use cunning cunning, which aint a propa way ta fight at all.

So Orkz haz 4 gods just like dem Chaosy boyz.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

The one confirmed thing that happens if the throne fails is the imperium enters "the cool zone"

to avoid that inevitability think its time we let an ork mekboy try to repair the golden throne, between their respect of the emperor, gestalt psychic powers and intuitive understanding of technology it may be mankind's best chance.

sure, the ork may just scrap it for shiny bitz for some extremely lucky flashboyz, but the jokearo fallback option risks turning the throne into a banana peeler and that is too much for the adeptus custodes to bear

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
The Ork discussions in Winter Assault are going to be some wild poo poo, I'm sure. But goddamn all I want to do is keep bringing up the Blood Angels because I was at work doing my thing, then suddenly stopped and remembered that Sanguinor was a thing and went cross-eyed because a) I can't believe I forgot that and b) Sanguinor

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I needed another 40k fix, so I rewatched some of the old DoW2 LPs and I got more curious about the canonical events of the Blood Raven campaigns because I don't play Space Marines. One thing led to another and I discovered that scout marine snipers are actually pretty OP because they break pathing somehow. Put them on a ridge near an incline with a heavy bolter squad behind them, and suddenly your enemies will stop their relentless assault on your base and instead bleed their entire army dry by walking circles in a killing field

After I figured that out, I just turtled in my base and tried to see how deep I could make the corpse pile before it started impacting the engine. I present to you, enough Eldar corpses to make the game hitch when you bring them into view

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

I needed another 40k fix, so I rewatched some of the old DoW2 LPs and I got more curious about the canonical events of the Blood Raven campaigns because I don't play Space Marines. One thing led to another and I discovered that scout marine snipers are actually pretty OP because they break pathing somehow. Put them on a ridge near an incline with a heavy bolter squad behind them, and suddenly your enemies will stop their relentless assault on your base and instead bleed their entire army dry by walking circles in a killing field

After I figured that out, I just turtled in my base and tried to see how deep I could make the corpse pile before it started impacting the engine. I present to you, enough Eldar corpses to make the game hitch when you bring them into view

"More corpses." - Avitus

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
And yet... is it enough?

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Broken Box posted:

The one confirmed thing that happens if the throne fails is the imperium enters "the cool zone"

to avoid that inevitability think its time we let an ork mekboy try to repair the golden throne, between their respect of the emperor, gestalt psychic powers and intuitive understanding of technology it may be mankind's best chance.

sure, the ork may just scrap it for shiny bitz for some extremely lucky flashboyz, but the jokearo fallback option risks turning the throne into a banana peeler and that is too much for the adeptus custodes to bear

NOW DAT SOUNDZ LOIKE A ROIGHT PROPPA GUD PLAN, IT DOEZ

(i didn't draw this masterpiece)

White Coke
May 29, 2015
At least they managed to rehydrate the Emperor.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

White Coke posted:

At least they managed to rehydrate the Emperor.

see, a little percussion engineering and orks can fix anything

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The Ork discussions in Winter Assault are going to be some wild poo poo, I'm sure. But goddamn all I want to do is keep bringing up the Blood Angels because I was at work doing my thing, then suddenly stopped and remembered that Sanguinor was a thing and went cross-eyed because a) I can't believe I forgot that and b) Sanguinor

The Blood Angels are great. I am however terribly biased as they were my first 40k army when I was like... 10? God that was a long time ago.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Ultramarines have gotten more cooler imo in recent books once they realized they are supposed to be big drat heros.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 8: The Chapel

In this week's episode the Blood Ravens finally bring the forces of the Alpha Legion to battle, and when you've got a big mess of spiky angry boys to kill you better believe we're cracking open the big tanks.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh no, he went full Gollum.

Speaking of machine spirits and the ritualised habits of operating things there's an amusing habit amongst BL writers to add an old classic method, namely percussive maintenance. There's for instance a great passage in Rites of Passage (a fantastic book that you should read by the way):

quote:

The cogitator was an old-fashioned affair, but Tekoa’s invocation of the Litany of Activation, his burning of the sacred incense, and his administration of the ritual blow to its side, appeared to appease the machine-spirit, and it flickered into life readily enough.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Speaking of machine spirits and the ritualised habits of operating things there's an amusing habit amongst BL writers to add an old classic method, namely percussive maintenance. There's for instance a great passage in Rites of Passage (a fantastic book that you should read by the way):
I have no idea what BL stands for in this context. It's... probably... not the first thing that comes to mind?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Poil posted:

I have no idea what BL stands for in this context. It's... probably... not the first thing that comes to mind?

Black Library. They deal in the adjacent merchandise stuff like novels.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Although considering how popular 40k is in Japan there might just be some of that around as well. :cheeky:
Otherwise, my bad.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Considering the land raider in that there's a full fledged AI in there that's capable of taking action on it's own on top of it's already death dealing ability, I would love to hear more hilarious stories of this.

Also MEGAS XLR is hilarious and the idea of finding the equivalent in the 40k universe would also be hilarious. a hereTEK doing all sorts of crazy stuff to a pre-dark age mecha while a guardman and someone from before the dark age watches on with agony as all sorts of things are done to her mech and they work despite all the insanity.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I'm convinced my first car had a machine spirit because the automatic doors would pop open every time my friend pulled up in his town car and would refuse to close until I came out there and pushed the button myself. I thought he was loving with me for weeks until I saw it happen myself.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

SugarAddict posted:

Considering the land raider in that there's a full fledged AI in there that's capable of taking action on it's own on top of it's already death dealing ability, I would love to hear more hilarious stories of this.

Probably the longest enduring story of this is Rynn's Might, a Land Raider that belonged to the Crimson Fists. The Crimson Fists were attacked on their homeworld of Rynn by a massive Ork invasion force and due to a catastrophic series of events that caused a planetary defence missile to strike their Chapter Fortress-Monastery's armoury and blow the whole thing up, much of the Chapter's fighting strength was lost in both terms of manpower and weaponry. Surviving this destructive event Rynn's Might rolled out of the ruins and started smashing its way through any Ork force it could come across, and while it was eventually destroyed it still managed to kill an extremely large number of Orks and a Warboss that was leading them all in one night.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Chaos Space Marines don't just cover their armor in spikes to look cool and edgy, they show their dedication to the minor Chaos Gods Mo'rcck, Phraz-Etar, and An'sl.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

White Coke posted:

Chaos Space Marines don't just cover their armor in spikes to look cool and edgy, they show their dedication to the minor Chaos Gods Mo'rcck, Phraz-Etar, and An'sl.
If you don't get this I will explain the one part most people don't understand An'sl is a reference to Bryan Ansell who was directly responsible for the spike look Chaos would take on. The other two should be easy enough to figure out.

Though if you can't I can spoil those as well.
Moorcock and Frank Frazetta

Unrelated but the Titans Machine spirits are weird especially the bigger ones. They are part smart AI but also seem to legit take in the spirits of previous pilots/commanders as well, with the most willful and famous of these spirits sometimes even communicating with their Titans current pilots/commanders and other Titans. The Machine Spirits also often take part in strategy meetings and tribunals alongside their pilots. It doesn't help that people that can see souls in-universe often freak out when they take closer looks at the older, more battle-used titans.

The smaller ones are generally described as more animalistic than person-like but even they are intelligent and can sometimes communicate. Hell even Knight Titans which are basically baby Titans* have their own temperaments, moods, and sometimes even their own personalities as well.

*Knight Titans are small enough that they can be used in 40K without breaking into Apocalypse rules** and cheap enough that hardcore fans might actually be able to afford to have one maybe two if they are well to do***.
** Apocalypse rules are... well... they take all the limits of point size and super heavy units caps that are in normal 40k and allow for more and even bigger stuff. Realistically outside of special conventions the only people who can even play this are either filthy rich, or a very large group of people pooling together all their armies and money to make it happen.
***140 dollars on average. So, something one could potentially save up to buy, or if they are super dedicated build one themselves. Infinitely cheaper but more time consuming and given how time-consuming it is to build even a store-bought one that is saying something. (Though I think you can buy them prebuilt as well if you are will to shell out even more money.)

cokerpilot fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 18, 2020

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

A Daemon-Navigator of Yeetnch. The best worst navigators.

The Emperor didn't tell his kids about his Chaos plans so they wouldn't mess it up.

Spoilers: His kids totally messed it up.

Also: Eldar - nothing Toth said were things you couldn't have said to the Spice Marines on mission 4 and avoided a whole lot of dead elfs and have still had the key. You stupid knife ears.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 18, 2020

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

The Emperor didn't tell his kids about his Chaos plans so they wouldn't mess it up.

Spoilers: His kids totally messed it up

Yeah, but it was absolutely the worst with what he did to Lorgar, where he basically took everything Lorgar believed in, and very publicly slapped him for believing it, then forced all Lorgar's marines to poo poo on everything they believed, and then never bothered to explain to any of them why he did it.

WhoQuestionMark
Jan 17, 2018

Veloxyll posted:

Spoilers: His kids totally messed it up.

Also: Eldar - nothing Toth said were things you couldn't have said to the Spice Marines on mission 4 and avoided a whole lot of dead elfs and have still had the key. You stupid knife ears.

I honestly wonder if the Eldar are just spectacularly bad at Gothic and nobody ever noticed or told them. So they think they they're being as clear as day but are using weird Eldar grammar rules and syntax so it sounds like... that.

Because there is legitimately no way I can see a person/group meant to be like, smart and manipulative being that incredibly dumb with explaining stuff.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

WhoQuestionMark posted:

I honestly wonder if the Eldar are just spectacularly bad at Gothic and nobody ever noticed or told them. So they think they they're being as clear as day but are using weird Eldar grammar rules and syntax so it sounds like... that.

Because there is legitimately no way I can see a person/group meant to be like, smart and manipulative being that incredibly dumb with explaining stuff.

I was thinking about this, and I will give this game this: The Farseer actually did seem genuinely surprised that Gabriel didn't already know this. I think she genuinely did expect that Toth filled Gabriel in and that he knew about the Maledictum and this was more a shared secret then a dumb riddle. Once she realized he was actually clueless she could have filled him in, but being an Eldar, and thus an rear end in a top hat, she couldn't resist the smug satisfaction of making him and Toth fight about it.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

WhoQuestionMark posted:

That's basically it. A few of the Eldar codexes have mentioned that the Eldar language is so stupidly complex that entire sentences can completely change their meaning depending on the inflection of a single syllable. Or who's speaking the sentence. Or what time of day it is.

And a lot of their language has become so couched in myth and metaphors that they basically can't speak clearly and straightforward. They're not quite "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra", but they're very close.

Also, they're stupidly xenophobic and think stupid mon'keigh are stupid.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Lorgar's fall to Chaos was a little more complex than just turning to the Dark Gods. Like most if not all of the primarchs, Lorgar was a psyker. However, his was not an active, conscious gift like Magnus.

All his life, Lorgar was plagued by visions and a sense of being called for a higher purpose. His dreams told him that he was destined to elevate mankind in service to the truth of the universe, and from birth he believed that. When the Emperor came along, Lorgar believed that the Emperor was the source of his dreams and that his purpose was to unite mankind in worship of the one true god: the Emperor. When the Emperor found the planet Colchis, he found a planet united in the worship of the Golden God who the high priest who united Colchis in a religious crusade believed would soon come. And the Emperor... dismissed all of that, and Lorgar's own fervent belief. The current fluff is that the Emperor thought that Lorgar was as cynical as the Emperor himself, and simply used faith and the promise of the Golden God as a tool to manipulate the people of Colchis and follow him. Following from that assumption, the Emperor assumed that Lorgar would see the atheist Imperial Truth, immediately understand that was the correct path, and dispense with this Golden God nonsense.

It was only when the Emperor realized, centuries later, that Lorgar's faith was not a cynical ruse and he absolutely, genuinely believed what he preached, that he brought the hammer down on Lorgar and sent the Ultramarines, the very model of what the Emperor felt the Imperium he was making should be, to do it. He again assumed that Lorgar would see and understand the point, and obey him.

Lorgar did not. All the Emperor did was convince Lorgar that the Emperor was not in fact the whisper in his dreams, and so Lorgar took his legion to set out across the furthest reaches of the stars looking for the truth, cloaking this religious pilgrimage as a penitent war of conquest to atone for his misdeeds.

Lorgar's pilgrimage ended in a place called Cygnus X-1. Or as Perturabo started calling it, the Eye of Terror.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

cokerpilot posted:

Unrelated but the Titans Machine spirits are weird especially the bigger ones. They are part smart AI but also seem to legit take in the spirits of previous pilots/commanders as well, with the most willful and famous of these spirits sometimes even communicating with their Titans current pilots/commanders and other Titans. The Machine Spirits also often take part in strategy meetings and tribunals alongside their pilots. It doesn't help that people that can see souls in-universe often freak out when they take closer looks at the older, more battle-used titans.

The smaller ones are generally described as more animalistic than person-like but even they are intelligent and can sometimes communicate. Hell even Knight Titans which are basically baby Titans have their own temperaments, moods, and sometimes even their own personalities as well.

The way Imperial Knights and Titans are controlled is that the pilots link up with them through a Mind Impluse Unit so that the Titan becomes an extension of their body. The biggest lore difference between Knights and Titans, apart from size, is that Knights can be controlled by a single person while even the smallest Titans need additional crew members to use MIU links to control subsystems while they learn how to become a pilot themselves one day.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Imperial Knights are new since I really paid attention to 40k. Are they considered Titans? From what I understand it's controlled by just one not-MechWarrior wearing a not-NeuroHelmet instead of the legions of expendable laborers used by a proper Titan.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

IMJack posted:

Imperial Knights are new since I really paid attention to 40k. Are they considered Titans? From what I understand it's controlled by just one not-MechWarrior wearing a not-NeuroHelmet instead of the legions of expendable laborers used by a proper Titan.

No, they're a different class altogether.

Most Knights don't belong to an official unit, but are owned and operated by noble houses of the Imperium. They are basically battletech mercenaries dropped into the setting.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

No, they're a different class altogether.

Most Knights don't belong to an official unit, but are owned and operated by noble houses of the Imperium. They are basically battletech mercenaries dropped into the setting.

More like your Battletech feudal mech-knights as opposed to the mercenaries.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Lore-wise

The Admech still needs food/basics etc. Thus they have agri-worlds sworn to them, often very low tech agri-worlds. To help keep those worlds safe the Admech gives Knights to the ruling class to keep them compliant with the resources Tithes.

The Knights themselves are an exceedingly robust and easy to produce STC technology, notably designed to act as protection/heavy labor units for distant colonies during mankind's age of great expansion. Being built to provide maximum long term protection without opportunity to resupply they are easy to maintain. And effectively if you have one and nobody else? you can easily make yourself king, which during the dark ages, people did.

Size ranges from "bigger than a dreadnaught" to "nearly a warhound"

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

And to add that grimdark 40K spice, being stuffed into a Knight is, with the exception of one noble house, eeeever so slightly brain-washy.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

It was only when the Emperor realized, centuries later, that Lorgar's faith was not a cynical ruse and he absolutely, genuinely believed what he preached, that he brought the hammer down on Lorgar and sent the Ultramarines, the very model of what the Emperor felt the Imperium he was making should be, to do it. He again assumed that Lorgar would see and understand the point, and obey him.

I just want to highlight this point as it shows why the Horus Heresy was the mess that it was as in one fell stroke the Emperor had pitted the two primarchs who were given the most thought about what the Imperium would look like after the Great Crusade against each other.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hunt11 posted:

I just want to highlight this point as it shows why the Horus Heresy was the mess that it was as in one fell stroke the Emperor had pitted the two primarchs who were given the most thought about what the Imperium would look like after the Great Crusade against each other.

Well, minus the primarchs who were of the mind that "lol the Great Crusade's never going to end, the Emperor's brand of authority only works as long as there are existential threats to make war against and he's smart enough to realize that the day the Imperium wins it dies, so he's going to make sure there's always an enemy to fight."

Lion el'Jonson, Jaghatai Khan, Angron, and Perturabo all voiced this particular - and, erm, unpopular - opinion.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Probably the longest enduring story of this is Rynn's Might, a Land Raider that belonged to the Crimson Fists. The Crimson Fists were attacked on their homeworld of Rynn by a massive Ork invasion force and due to a catastrophic series of events that caused a planetary defence missile to strike their Chapter Fortress-Monastery's armoury and blow the whole thing up, much of the Chapter's fighting strength was lost in both terms of manpower and weaponry. Surviving this destructive event Rynn's Might rolled out of the ruins and started smashing its way through any Ork force it could come across, and while it was eventually destroyed it still managed to kill an extremely large number of Orks and a Warboss that was leading them all in one night.

Wasn't there some fluff that the Fists recovered its machine-spirit and were just waiting to find an appropriate vehicle to house it in?

Clearly it should get installed into an Astraeus.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Well, minus the primarchs who were of the mind that "lol the Great Crusade's never going to end, the Emperor's brand of authority only works as long as there are existential threats to make war against and he's smart enough to realize that the day the Imperium wins it dies, so he's going to make sure there's always an enemy to fight."

Lion el'Jonson, Jaghatai Khan, Angron, and Perturabo all voiced this particular - and, erm, unpopular - opinion.

Jaghatai Khan and Perturabo also had interests outside of warfare. The bigger divide between the Primarchs is probably the ones who enjoyed doing things other than killing.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Cythereal posted:

Joke's on them, the Imperium will ALWAYS have enemies to fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Watching four Land Raiders tear through the hordes of Chaos made me sad that we never got to field multiple Baneblades in campaign.