Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

greazeball posted:

But that would mean ignoring that transparent = 0% opacity or not saying "I gotta turn the opacity down"

No-one's even given the opacity slider in Photoshop that much thought, it's just another word you never encounter outside the program.

Skwirl posted:

Thinking legal terms will be exactly the same as your misunderstanding of photoshop terminology probably qualifies you to be Trump's attorney.

I was really talking about the series of deleted tweets rather than Guliani, who has no excuse even if he'd learnt English solely from drop down menus in Adobe software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Memento posted:

Rudy is charging* $20,000 per day for this poo poo, it would loving behoove him to know what the legal terms he's batting around actually mean.

*this carries no indication that he will be paid it, because it's Trump he's charging.

There are reports that Trump got him to agree to figure out his rate later. So Rudy ain't getting poo poo and Trump is getting what he paid for.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Horace posted:

No-one's even given the opacity slider in Photoshop that much thought, it's just another word you never encounter outside the program.

This is weird to me. Even in American public education in the deep south we learned about light and the difference between opacity/translucence/transparence.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

subpar anachronism posted:

This is weird to me. Even in American public education in the deep south we learned about light and the difference between opacity/translucence/transparence.

I think people learn the term "opaque" but don't realize that "opacity" is related to that word. I mean, it seems obvious now but you are learning these two things in very different contexts.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Do people seriously not understand the concept of opacity and its various meanings? It is that exotic? :psyduck:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
america has like one million of the best educated peeps in the world and a third of the rest of the 300 million are basically illiterate

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

america has like one million of the best educated peeps in the world and a third of the rest of the 300 million are basically illiterate

Which group is in this thread?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

xtal posted:

Which group is in this thread?

A little of both.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Horace posted:

Do you live in an English speaking country?

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

https://twitter.com/drjuliashaw/status/1328806039370731521?s=19

:iiam:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I learned in school that Isaac Newton never married, lived alone and was likely celibate.

Except he didn't live alone, he had multiple longterm "roommates," at least one of whom wrote him love letters before they moved in together

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
we actually have no viable evidence either way, and its modern homophobia that also leads to modern standards of male non homosexual intimacy being the literal worst in recorded history.

like, dudes would do all sorts of poo poo that reads to us as gay cuz of modern homophobes, up to and including love letters, and then not gently caress. so it goes both ways

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I had my volume down until I clicked play and didn't realize the flamethrower video was still looping further up the page and thought the weird audio was the joke at first

SulfurMonoxideCute has a new favorite as of 21:00 on Nov 18, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

we actually have no viable evidence either way, and its modern homophobia that also leads to modern standards of male non homosexual intimacy being the literal worst in recorded history.

like, dudes would do all sorts of poo poo that reads to us as gay cuz of modern homophobes, up to and including love letters, and then not gently caress. so it goes both ways

Determining whether a romantic relationship was also an erotic relationship is tricky because of lack of evidence (stained sheets or you must acquit!), deciding which narrators to trust, and what the societal context was. Like, we know Pepys was definitely sexing up serving girls because he wrote about it, in code, in his diary. That kind of direct evidence was and is rare.

The problem is that we've swapped from a universal "they were just friends" to a universal "they were in love therefore they were totally loving".

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
just strong close friendship is a thing that an eyepoppin number of western peeps dont have, especially dudes

this is not a natural state of life! random rear end tribesmen in buttfuck papua new guinea have it disgustingly better than we do in this domain!

bob dobbs is dead has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Nov 18, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Ahh yes, the ceremonial staff equivalent in historiography

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

just strong close friendship is a thing that an eyepoppin number of western peeps dont have, especially dudes

this is not a natural state of life! random rear end trubesmen in buttfuck papua new guinea have it disgustingly better than we do in this domain!

jbuttfuck papua new guinea

Not the best example to use when discussing close platonic relationships. :laugh:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i got my turgid set of adjectives and im not afraid to splurt them all over you all

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

As is pointed out in the replies, the OP is ignoring the context of this excerpt, whose section in the book is labeled “Sex between women”.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Oof. That tweet really does give a misleading impression.

https://twitter.com/LauraGowing/status/1329051110900895746

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/people/laura-gowing

Look at her publications. Safe to say she has a clue as to what the drawing is depicting.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
https://twitter.com/bobvids/status/1328772282005790720

I watched Justice League and Geostorm on the same flight, Geostorm was the better movie. Can't see how a different cut of the same terrible movie would be any better.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/bazecraze/status/1328011106191876096

https://twitter.com/keepoff_grass/status/1328476110137520129

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's a branding problem, clearly, make the masks extra uncomfortable to wear and say you're hardcore if you wear it and you'd have people wearing shirts with the grim reaper on the back shooting a gun and giving a middle finger with the words YEAH I WEAR MASKS, DRIVE A TRUCK, WAS BORN IN NOVEMBER AND I'M PROUD within a week.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
New product idea do not steal: a hardcore mask you velcro to your beard

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
diamond plate masks with truck nutz (tm) attachments

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

xtal posted:

It's an Albany expression

Good lord what is happening in the cell

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jasus Christ posted:

Good lord what is happening in the cell

oxidative phosphorylation

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
https://twitter.com/BudrykZack/status/1329144586074198018?s=20

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Do you live in an English speaking country?

Isn't it ironic that so many people did not understand my post where I empathised with people who might not have understood a word.

like rain on your wedding day

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

https://twitter.com/bobvids/status/1328772282005790720

I watched Justice League and Geostorm on the same flight, Geostorm was the better movie. Can't see how a different cut of the same terrible movie would be any better.
Geostorm is a masterpiece of cinema how dare you even imply a comparison

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I love this kind of joke, but I also love that every time someone tweets one, there's a crowd of people in the replies who don't get/willfully ignore the joke and say what you 'should actually do' instead. In this case, ranging from 'she shouldn't be in that position anyway' to 'you should instead be there to punch the guy out'.

I assume it's the exact same crowd that replies to 'are the straights okay/do straight people even like each other' posts with 'uhm, yeah, that's called a NORMAL relationship'

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That said, if your standard is that sir Isaac newton was definitely never ever having sex with men because his love letters didn't explicitly outline exactly how much semen he was jetting into somebody's mouth, you've set a pretty high evidentiary standard that's never mandated between, like, kings and mistresses they were definitely loving but didn't, like, write about. They're just a point of plausibility that we kind of assume in the historical record at a certain point. Ultimately, unless we were there, we really have absolutely no idea what happened in the past, it's just a range of how good we think the evidence is for something. If you make the evidentiary standard completely different for heterosexual relationships than homosexual relationships, then that is its own form of insidious bigotry.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Sure, but I think the broader point is that the modern understanding of same sex (and, honestly, not same sex) friendships and relationships is a terrible lens through which we can try to view history for a number of reasons.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pick posted:

That said, if your standard is that sir Isaac newton was definitely never ever having sex with men because his love letters didn't explicitly outline exactly how much semen he was jetting into somebody's mouth, you've set a pretty high evidentiary standard that's never mandated between, like, kings and mistresses they were definitely loving but didn't, like, write about. They're just a point of plausibility that we kind of assume in the historical record at a certain point. Ultimately, unless we were there, we really have absolutely no idea what happened in the past, it's just a range of how good we think the evidence is for something. If you make the evidentiary standard completely different for heterosexual relationships than homosexual relationships, then that is its own form of insidious bigotry.
No, that isn't my standard. I used it as a ridiculously high standard, although arguably Pepys could have been lying, welp. In a lot of eras when actual homosexual conduct was disapproved of, often criminal, it is difficult to prove same-sex erotic acts. Heterosexual acts are much easier to prove because the relationships were publicly acknowledged as sexual, and frequently because pregnancies resulted. When kings did have male favorites, they were immediately accused of sodomy whether or not they were actually loving, just as female rulers were immediately accused of whoredom.

My standard is that "in many eras, we often can't be certain any homoromantic/homosocial person did in bed, because they had excellent legal and social reasons for denying any physical element." With a bonus of "'homosexual' is specifically a 19th-century and onward concept." (I recommend Hanne Blank's "Straight: The History of a Concept", which is great fun and also learned.)

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Imagine writing any love letter without explicitly detailing how much semen you're jetting into someone's mouth like drat you even love that person at all why bother?

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

wizzardstaff posted:

diamond plate masks with truck nutz (tm) attachments

chin nutz (tm)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Parallelwoody posted:

Imagine writing any love letter without explicitly detailing how much semen you're jetting into someone's mouth like drat you even love that person at all why bother?

Content:

https://twitter.com/TheTattooedProf/status/1329227112172097537

https://twitter.com/AcademicsSay/status/1329230415425658881

Memento has a new favorite as of 02:13 on Nov 19, 2020

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Pick posted:

He was under a tree when an :airquote: apple :airquote: hit him square between the eyes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Having seen Geostorm I think I can safely give Justice League in its current form a negative 2 star rating. I’ll preemptively give the Snyder cut negative 3 stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

CleverHans posted:

He was under a tree when an :airquote: apple :airquote: hit him square between the eyes.

Help, I'm trying to discover the force behind gravity but your "apple" is dummy thicc and keeps smacking me in the face