Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Butterfly Valley posted:

I wouldn't call ray tracing weird and proprietary, given the amount of new games that are incorporating it at this point. Also DLSS makes a huge difference where games have it, and AMD evidently think the wind is blowing that way as they're developing their own ray tracing and upscaling tech, but their tech is a generation behind nvidias.

No, it's not that ray tracing itself is weird, it's that some games (Wolfenstein Youngblood for example) use a raytracing technique proprietary to Nvidia cards and it hasn't been patched/made accessible yet: https://gizmodo.com/amd-rx-6800-xt-and-rx-6800-review-amd-finally-does-ray-1845690485

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
A few quick questions for a build I'm parting out:
- Are folks getting a gpu support bracket for their 3080/3090s?
- How do I tell if a RAM is dual-rank?
- The motherboard I'm looking at has weird differences listed in the specs for the m.2 slots:

quote:

M2_1 slot (from AMD® Processor) supports PCIe 4.0 x4 (3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ Desktop Processors) or PCIe 3.0 x4 (2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ 4000 G-Series, Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics) 2242/2260/2280 storage devices
M2_2 slot (from AMD® X570 Chipset) supports PCIe 4.0 x4 (3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™) or 3.0 x4 (2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ 4000 G-Series, Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics) and SATA 6Gb/s 2242/ 2260/ 2280/ 22110 storage devices
Are these identical slots or is one better for the OS install?
- The mobo also says it has a "1x 3-pin CORSAIR connector". Some googling indicates that this is an RGB fan connector of some kind. What's the intended use for this single connector, and is there an implication for cases/fans I should be looking at given the capability?
- I'm looking to grab a Ryzen 9 5900X sometime in the next few months (on the B&H waitlist so I suppose Q2 next year is the backup). What sorts of CPU fans do folks recommend for it in an ATX form factor? I will not likely overclock (much?), but will use heavily multithreaded stats/ml workloads and will game on 1440p. Most of the CPU fans I've grabbed from partspicker trigger a warning that a special mounting bracket will need to be requested by the fan retailer for this mobo?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Forever_Peace posted:

A few quick questions for a build I'm parting out:
- Are folks getting a gpu support bracket for their 3080/3090s?
- How do I tell if a RAM is dual-rank?
- The motherboard I'm looking at has weird differences listed in the specs for the m.2 slots:

Are these identical slots or is one better for the OS install?
- The mobo also says it has a "1x 3-pin CORSAIR connector". Some googling indicates that this is an RGB fan connector of some kind. What's the intended use for this single connector, and is there an implication for cases/fans I should be looking at given the capability?
- I'm looking to grab a Ryzen 9 5900X sometime in the next few months (on the B&H waitlist so I suppose Q2 next year is the backup). What sorts of CPU fans do folks recommend for it in an ATX form factor? I will not likely overclock (much?), but will use heavily multithreaded stats/ml workloads and will game on 1440p. Most of the CPU fans I've grabbed from partspicker trigger a warning that a special mounting bracket will need to be requested by the fan retailer for this mobo?

Corsair tends to have some of the best RGB software/hardware so this doesn’t surprise me.

That can power the light of one corsair fan or I think more than one corsair RGB strip daisy chained together.

Corsair’s products use proprietary connectors.

Corsair sells something called a “node core” which is six of those ports tied to an internal USB 2.0 header.

Most people running a bunch of corsair RGB in their case have a node core that came with their case or a commander pro / node core that they purchased.

One port doesn’t seem terribly useful, more of a supplement for people that run out of the six ports on the node core.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

spunkshui posted:

Corsair tends to have some of the best RGB software/hardware so this doesn’t surprise me.

That can power the light of one corsair fan or I think more than one corsair RGB strip daisy chained together.

Corsair’s products use proprietary connectors.

Corsair sells something called a “node core” which is six of those ports tied to an internal USB 2.0 header.

Most people running a bunch of corsair RGB in their case have a node core that came with their case or a commander pro / node core that they purchased.

One port doesn’t seem terribly useful, more of a supplement for people that run out of the six ports on the node core.

Thanks, this is really useful for the corsair connector!

Are there ATX cases that are good with one large fan at the front that could exploit the pin? I've been looking at the Phanteks Eclipse P400A but I'm not tied to it and honestly have no idea about how to think about airflow. From what I gather, the 3080 has one fan that exhausts directly out the back and a second fan that propels hot air up into the RAM/CPU area? My computer will sit in a little desk cubby thing that is pushed pretty close to the wall but has a lot of space out the top.

I guess what I'm asking is what is a good fan design + cpu cooler for a top-venting 3080+5900x system, and does it ever make sense for one of the fans to be special (for the corsair plug)?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Will I be okay with this 550w power supply? I'm carrying it over from my old PC but it's only a month old. Not overclocking or lighting anything up. Also don't plan on upgrading anything for a few years.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WI-FI) Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Memory: OLOy WarHawk RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-18 16:49 EST-0500

Partpicker estimate is 423w

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

So Nvidia recommend 650w for the 3070. But as your estimate suggests, your 550w Seasonic will do the job.

The worst that will happen is you might have 1 or 2 occasions when the machine won't be able to power what you're doing and the machine will reset.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The 3070 is like 220w and the 3700x is a low tdp CPU, you'll be fine.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

Idk about cool kid but yes, PCI Express is backwards and forwards compatible.

LGD posted:

Yes, it should work just fine in the interim - the only thing I'd caution is to make sure your power supply is adequate for the GPU you're eventually going to put in there (likely will be, just the newest generation of GPUs are power hungry)

Thank you very much! I’m excited that I’ll be able to start building this weekend!

And yup about the PSU, that’s a good reminder! I’m glad PCPartpicker has a power estimate, I’m planning to use that.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The 3070 is like 220w and the 3700x is a low tdp CPU, you'll be fine.

Funso Banjo posted:

So Nvidia recommend 650w for the 3070. But as your estimate suggests, your 550w Seasonic will do the job.

The worst that will happen is you might have 1 or 2 occasions when the machine won't be able to power what you're doing and the machine will reset.

Cheers

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Not sure about the thread's opinion on this, but I don't think it's a good idea to have two rams with different timings installed. It's probably safer to just pick one and buy 2 of them if you really need more than 16gb.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Welp it has been a few years since I've updated the old rig. Thanks to everyone that helped me over the last 6 years as when I first started this I hadn't pieced together a PC in over a decade. The below is what I currently have. The only components original from 2014 are the case/mobo/ram/processor. Everyone thing else was updated around 2016ish.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($375.27 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($66.38 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 HTPC Case ($149.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA GS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Custom: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card ($449.99)
Total: $1086.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-18 18:52 EST-0500

There is also a samsung 850evo 500gig in there as well that was added after I "completed" this build.

I am looking to upgrade the mobo/processor/ram/harddrive and maybe potentially the case if I can find a slightly bigger case that looks good placed horizontally in an entertainment stand.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($258.64 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($70.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $739.59
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-18 19:05 EST-0500

I am not 100% set on the budget and could probably go higher if the performance is worth it.

I also don't know much about liquid cooling but am looking to keep the system as quiet as I can as our new house doesn't have as big of a living space and the PC can be heard more than it could before.

I generally do gaming at 1080p but would like to do FFXIV at 1440p - 4k if that's even possible with current specs. I also do emulation, specifically PS2 and it's starting to hit the limits of what I can do in some games even at 1080p. I know that my processor is probably what's holding back both of those uses as they both tend to be processor heavy.

Thanks in advance to everyone that has helped me out in the past and in advance for my new pieces.

:EDIT: Also in regards to my power supply is that something I should go ahead and replace? That was 2016 so it's about four years old now going on five probably so I assume yes?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Is this (or the OEM version) still the go-to PCI-E ethernet card? I'm having problems with Windows periodically resetting my new motherboard's Realtek 2.5 GbE controller, and trying to fix it is slowly driving me insane.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Funso Banjo posted:

For what it's worth: my 3700X and Geforce 1070 idle around 90W and never really draw more than 250ish watts under full load...pretty sure my UPS would last an hour while gaming. :stare:

The 3070 will obviously draw more than my 1070, but I imagine you will be fine!

No Pants posted:

Is this (or the OEM version) still the go-to PCI-E ethernet card? I'm having problems with Windows periodically resetting my new motherboard's Realtek 2.5 GbE controller, and trying to fix it is slowly driving me insane.

Sounds like Windows is powering down your adapter due to a power management setting. Go to the Device Manager, open the Network Adapters drop-down, open the properties of your adapter, go to the Power Management tab and uncheck the box that lets Windows turn it off to save power.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
I've just ordered a new PC and am immediately left questioning some of my decisions... Could I get some advice on whether I should amend a couple of these parts?

> Antec P7 Silent ATX Tower PC Gaming Case
> MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK Motherboard
> AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight-Core Processor
> Corsair Hydro Series, H100x, 240mm Radiator, Dual 120mm PWM Fans, Liquid CPU Cooler
> 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit
> NVIDIA RTX 3080 8704 Cores 10GB GDDR6X PCI-E 4.0
> Samsung 860 EVO M.2 1TB Solid State Drive (up to 550MB/s R | 520MB/s W)
> Corsair CX750 750W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply

My queries are regarding the case, PSU and AIO.

1: I'm reading mixed reviews on the Antec P7 and am wondering if this case might not have the airflow needed for gaming, even if I have a AIO.
2: Im questioning whether I want an AIO or not... I can see air coolers seem to better but always wanted a watercooler.. sad I know, but will the H100x be ok for noise if it's in a supposedly quiet case?
3: If I am going to make changes to other parts of the order I might also up the PSU to a Gold rated one.

My question is, how bothered should I be about the above and would you see these as must update parts based on the level of the rest of the build?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Sounds like Windows is powering down your adapter due to a power management setting. Go to the Device Manager, open the Network Adapters drop-down, open the properties of your adapter, go to the Power Management tab and uncheck the box that lets Windows turn it off to save power.

Oh, yeah, I've already done a bunch of stuff after looking at various threads on every manufacturer's support forum where people are having the same problem. Turned off power management and all the driver's power-saving ethernet options, turned off auto negotiation, rolled back to the 5-year-old driver that comes with Windows, updated to the newest version of the driver, and updated my BIOS to the beta version, and the result was resets happen every few hours instead of multiple times an hour, which is still unacceptable.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

No Pants posted:

Oh, yeah, I've already done a bunch of stuff after looking at various threads on every manufacturer's support forum where people are having the same problem. Turned off power management and all the driver's power-saving ethernet options, turned off auto negotiation, rolled back to the 5-year-old driver that comes with Windows, updated to the newest version of the driver, and updated my BIOS to the beta version, and the result was resets happen every few hours instead of multiple times an hour, which is still unacceptable.

I know you've probably already done this, but did you switch the overall windows power management to "High Performance" instead of the default "Balanced?" My wife was having this same problem with her laptop and the PM tab on the adapter + the Windows PM setting is what fixed it.

Otherwise, if your mobo still under warranty? May be defective.

But, to answer your original question: I think pretty much any brand of ethernet card will work...I would go with a name I at least recognize, for peace of mind, but I think it's hard to botch such a simple part. They even make USB dongles, these days.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Thanks, that's a setting nobody else mentioned. Since the only other cards are no-name or secretly Realtek, I'll buy the Intel one and send it back if I don't see a reset again between now and when it arrives next week.

Edit: It just happened twice in the past 10 minutes, I don't want to move everything to another MB again. :cry:

No Pants fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 19, 2020

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The Gadfly posted:

Not sure about the thread's opinion on this, but I don't think it's a good idea to have two rams with different timings installed. It's probably safer to just pick one and buy 2 of them if you really need more than 16gb.

Oh that’s a good call thanks. The second set comes bundled with the card but I can just eat the shipping and restock fees if it won’t play with what I have

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Oh that’s a good call thanks. The second set comes bundled with the card but I can just eat the shipping and restock fees if it won’t play with what I have

I would highly recommend getting all the RAM you want in a single package: almost impossible to have problems like that.

I've had to RMA sticks before because I got 2 packages of 2 sticks instead of a single 4-stick pack, and they just wouldn't work together. :shrug:

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
My computer currently has an i7 8700K (LGA 1151) @ stock 3.7ghz for its CPU. Would replacing it with an i9 9900K be a noticeable upgrade or only something I would see in a benchmark program ? The base clock of the 9900 is 100 mhz lower but the Turbo is 300 mhz higher. Mobo is an ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING and the 9900K is on the supported CPU list with latest BIOS (which I already have).

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

What's your gpu\monitor? / oc your CPU / no.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

EVGA 8GB 1080 / really old Asus 1920x1080/ no overclocking of anything ever

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

MREBoy posted:

My computer currently has an i7 8700K (LGA 1151) @ stock 3.7ghz for its CPU. Would replacing it with an i9 9900K be a noticeable upgrade or only something I would see in a benchmark program ? The base clock of the 9900 is 100 mhz lower but the Turbo is 300 mhz higher. Mobo is an ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING and the 9900K is on the supported CPU list with latest BIOS (which I already have).

The thing about trying to future proof with the highest end CPU on a platform is that you will be stuck on PCI express 3.0 and DDR4

They money is probably better saved for a future hardware purchase I think.

Wait till you NEED a new CPU or something.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

MREBoy posted:

EVGA 8GB 1080 / really old Asus 1920x1080/ no overclocking of anything ever

Yeah, let that CPU ride.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

MREBoy posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2127?vs=2263

Better off saving, imo. Even straight upgrading is more of a side-grade for you, as far as gaming is concerned, with that specific GPU:
https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2127?vs=2558

Find one of the out-of-stock GPUs for a worthwhile upgrade, methinks.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

:tipshat: Ok thanks for the sanity check. This inquiry was mostly brought on because an idiot co--worker of mine bought a no-name "botique gaming computer" (lots of glass and glowing fans) with 0 research for $1100 and he hates it. He's been bombarding me with questions involving replacing the 2060 video card and Ryzen 5 2600? CPU it came with with some 30x0 series card and a Ryzen 7 something, which would probably entail also replacing the ??? brand 500 watt PSU it came with :suicide:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

CareyB posted:

I've just ordered a new PC and am immediately left questioning some of my decisions... Could I get some advice on whether I should amend a couple of these parts?

> Antec P7 Silent ATX Tower PC Gaming Case
> MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK Motherboard
> AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight-Core Processor
> Corsair Hydro Series, H100x, 240mm Radiator, Dual 120mm PWM Fans, Liquid CPU Cooler
> 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit
> NVIDIA RTX 3080 8704 Cores 10GB GDDR6X PCI-E 4.0
> Samsung 860 EVO M.2 1TB Solid State Drive (up to 550MB/s R | 520MB/s W)
> Corsair CX750 750W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply

My queries are regarding the case, PSU and AIO.

1: I'm reading mixed reviews on the Antec P7 and am wondering if this case might not have the airflow needed for gaming, even if I have a AIO.
2: Im questioning whether I want an AIO or not... I can see air coolers seem to better but always wanted a watercooler.. sad I know, but will the H100x be ok for noise if it's in a supposedly quiet case?
3: If I am going to make changes to other parts of the order I might also up the PSU to a Gold rated one.

My question is, how bothered should I be about the above and would you see these as must update parts based on the level of the rest of the build?

The cooler doesn't have quiet fans, it has cheap ones that can go fast if needed but they wont do it gracefully apparently.

Something like the D15 comes with much better fans https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D15-heatpipe-NF-A15-140mm/dp/B00L7UZMAK

Then again if water cooling your cpu is your dream then you could just swap those fans out for a12x25s down the road. Then you would have a fantastic cooling solution that you could probably carry forward to your next build.

Can't comment on the case, haven't done any research but it does look pretty restrictive.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

MREBoy posted:

:tipshat: Ok thanks for the sanity check. This inquiry was mostly brought on because an idiot co--worker of mine bought a no-name "botique gaming computer" (lots of glass and glowing fans) with 0 research for $1100 and he hates it. He's been bombarding me with questions involving replacing the 2060 video card and Ryzen 5 2600? CPU it came with with some 30x0 series card and a Ryzen 7 something, which would probably entail also replacing the ??? brand 500 watt PSU it came with :suicide:

ehhhhhh...he could have built something better for the same money, but what he has isn't bad? Probably just bloated with pre-installed garbage or needs an SSD? It's certainly fine for gaming right now, especially at 1080p or 1440p. He may raise his bottom 1% frames in most games, but his average fps probably wouldn't increase with a new CPU. :shrug:

A good PSU is always a sound investment, always go with a Gold-rated, as it's hard to botch the parts under those standards. Doubly-so if you plan on using it for 5-10 years.

What does he hate about it?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

ehhhhhh...he could have built something better for the same money, but what he has isn't bad? Probably just bloated with pre-installed garbage or needs an SSD? It's certainly fine for gaming right now, especially at 1080p or 1440p. He may raise his bottom 1% frames in most games, but his average fps probably wouldn't increase with a new CPU. :shrug:

A good PSU is always a sound investment, always go with a Gold-rated, as it's hard to botch the parts under those standards. Doubly-so if you plan on using it for 5-10 years.

What does he hate about it?

probably this

MREBoy posted:

but "it came with with some 30x0 series card" confuses me.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 19, 2020

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

spunkshui posted:

The cooler doesn't have quiet fans, it has cheap ones that can go fast if needed but they wont do it gracefully apparently.

Something like the D15 comes with much better fans https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D15-heatpipe-NF-A15-140mm/dp/B00L7UZMAK

Then again if water cooling your cpu is your dream then you could just swap those fans out for a12x25s down the road. Then you would have a fantastic cooling solution that you could probably carry forward to your next build.

Can't comment on the case, haven't done any research but it does look pretty restrictive.

Thanks, that was the alternative cooler I was looking at but if the air flow in the case isn’t fantastic perhaps the aio is a safer bet :/

I kinda assumed watercooling would be the standard now for building a high level rig especially if the cpu doesn’t come with a cooler. Clearly that was off base!

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

CareyB posted:

Thanks, that was the alternative cooler I was looking at but if the air flow in the case isn’t fantastic perhaps the aio is a safer bet :/

I kinda assumed watercooling would be the standard now for building a high level rig especially if the cpu doesn’t come with a cooler. Clearly that was off base!

https://antec.com/product/case/p7-silent.php

If thats your case dont do the AIO. You want the AIO on the top of the case for many reasons.

Front mounted AIOs have hoses at the top which can make the water move incorrectly and hurt the pump.

Front mounted AIOs also dump all the heat directly into your case heating the air the gpu gets and blocking even more front intake airflow.

Top mounted AIOs always have hoses the correct way.

Top mounted AIOs remove heat from inside the case because it ever enters, its all behind case exhaust fans.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

spunkshui posted:

probably this

but "it came with with some 30x0 series card" confuses me.

Two "with"s in that sentence.

Who the hell is still selling machines with a 2600 in them though?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Some Goon posted:

Two "with"s in that sentence.

Who the hell is still selling machines with a 2600 in them though?

Bad people :(

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

spunkshui posted:

https://antec.com/product/case/p7-silent.php

If thats your case dont do the AIO. You want the AIO on the top of the case for many reasons.

Front mounted AIOs have hoses at the top which can make the water move incorrectly and hurt the pump.

Front mounted AIOs also dump all the heat directly into your case heating the air the gpu gets and blocking even more front intake airflow.

Top mounted AIOs always have hoses the correct way.

Top mounted AIOs remove heat from inside the case because it ever enters, its all behind case exhaust fans.

Yes that’s the one. Ok thats really helpful, I guess this definitely pushes me to look at changing the order, thanks!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I guess I need a case. Or a cooler which works on a rotated RTX 3080. I currently have Silverstone RV02 which is the top case for cooling. The three 18cm fans provide 180-300cfm of positive pressure cooling.

Also probably the best case for my 500W passive PSU.

My case is normally on the left side of the table, next to a wall, so the access from right side of the case has been good. Any ideas which case could be as little less poo poo than my current case as possible, but with the GPU in "normal" orientation?

Apparently some GPU coolers like RTX 3080 TuF oc don't work when rotated.

Edit: probably the MASTERCASE SL600M is the best bet:

It even looks OK, 200€ only. 2x 200mm fans on bottom and 2x 200mm fans on top.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 19, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Your case is only "top for cooling" vs other cases using mostly the stock fans they come with. Gamers nexus doesn't put fans in many of the optional locations.

Your case has the option for a 120mm fan as a "top" exhaust, and I think its absolutely worth trying.

Most computers right now use 3 fans in the front and 1 out the back. I cant image anyone recommending you just don't populate the back exhaust fan spot.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Edit: probably the MASTERCASE SL600M is the best bet

It even looks OK, 200€ only. 2x 200mm fans on bottom and 2x 200mm fans on top.

I'm not sure it comes with top fans so you have to factor that into your cost.

Seems pretty nice, but also anything with mesh and fans (in and out) does fine.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3604-best-gaming-pc-cases-for-airflow-in-2020-right-now

MASTERCASE SL600M seems like a nice case assuming cost is not a big deal to you.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 19, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ihmemies posted:

I guess I need a case. Or a cooler which works on a rotated RTX 3080. I currently have Silverstone RV02 which is the top case for cooling. The three 18cm fans provide 180-300cfm of positive pressure cooling.

Comedy option cpu cooler on your gpu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3YnpwAAHhM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6hvsqUEtZ4

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

You laugh but I'm using one of these on a 1070 founders as I wait to see the 3080 TI vs 3080.

Gpu cant get over 55C

https://www.techpowerup.com/166415/arctic-releases-the-accelero-xtreme-iii-vga-cooler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

spunkshui posted:

You laugh but I'm using one of these on a 1070 founders as I wait to see the 3080 TI vs 3080.

Gpu cant get over 55C

https://www.techpowerup.com/166415/arctic-releases-the-accelero-xtreme-iii-vga-cooler

I haven't really heard about Accelero since I used one of their enormous heatsinks to 100% passively cool my Radeon HD 4850 back in the day. It was fun, though.