Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chiasaur11 posted:

He just likes killing people and breaking stuff.

I mean, it's literally why he became a Getter pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah actually that also makes a lot of sense.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if hayato hadn't become a getter pilot he would have almost certainly ended up as one of those serial killers who mutilate their victims in ridiculously elaborate ways.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if hayato hadn't become a getter pilot he would have almost certainly ended up as one of those serial killers who mutilate their victims in ridiculously elaborate ways.

Yep, in one timeline he ends up a terrifying mass murderer, and in the other timeline he doesn't have a giant robot.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

remember the part in Go where hayato is having people defuse bombs by trial and error and Go gets smacked for calling it hosed up because it's his friends and family doing it

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Honestly I’d be happier with Go getting a worthy adaptation than Arc, Go is pure getter madness and probably easier to sell as a concept to randos than Arc will

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Motto posted:

remember the part in Go where hayato is having people defuse bombs by trial and error and Go gets smacked for calling it hosed up because it's his friends and family doing it

That's one of the parts that led me to hate Getter Robo Go honestly, felt pointlessly edgy even by the franchise's standards

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the implausible part is that hayato would have friends and family

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
really though, go was such a odd manga. it was almost a real robot version of getter robo for most of the story, and then it went balls deep into getter ray weirdness at the end.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

really though, go was such a odd manga. it was almost a real robot version of getter robo for most of the story, and then it went balls deep into getter ray weirdness at the end.

That's yet another reason I don't like it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

the implausible part is that hayato would have friends and family

I can imagine he'd have family, just so there'd be someone with eyes blanked out with privacy bars when TV does a feature on teenage terrorism.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Marvel Comics is doing an event where all the Avengers get giant robots!

Unfortunately, it features the most garbage mecha designs I've ever seen

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How could they not bring in Leopardon again

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

With nothing to use for scale that just looks like a bunch of bad themed Iron Man suits.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They're only like 20 feet tall

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Black Panther's machine isn't awful, at least.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Gripweed posted:

They're only like 20 feet tall

Why do they need the mech suits again? This entire thing seems like one person thought it would be cool but their idea of cool is actually kinda lame.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I don't hate the idea conceptually for some heroes but like, the hulk having any need for a mech suit is blatantly ridiculous.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

I don't hate the idea conceptually for some heroes but like, the hulk having any need for a mech suit is blatantly ridiculous.

Rage-powered robots have a long and glorious history, so giving one to the guy who's rage incarnate seems like an excellent (or, at least, excellently awful) decision.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

A lot of people over on 4chan are making the assumption that this was originally meant to tie in with a toyline or game that got canned and they had put too much work into the comic just to toss it out

Reminds me a little of that pointless and bad Attack On Titan crossover from a couple years ago in that whole "clearly meant to lead into something bigger that ended up just being a one off curiousity" vibe

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

drrockso20 posted:

A lot of people over on 4chan are making the assumption that this was originally meant to tie in with a toyline or game that got canned and they had put too much work into the comic just to toss it out

As with all mecha, "it was this way to sell a toy" ain't never a bad bet.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
The Cap one is the most lazy Optimus Prime reskin I've ever seen.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 19, 2020

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Man superhero comics just look like complete poo poo

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I was just thinking the other day how crazy it is that Watchmen got so many accolades for advancing the comics medium when manga had been doing wild poo poo for decades.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Darth Walrus posted:

Black Panther's machine isn't awful, at least.

Funny, I thought it looked the worst, mostly because the head is too tiny, it looks like Black Panther's regular sized head on a mecha body.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

I was just thinking the other day how crazy it is that Watchmen got so many accolades for advancing the comics medium when manga had been doing wild poo poo for decades.

Look cape comics and manga were not on the same radar in the 80s what manga was even released in the states at the time, if any.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Marvel Comics is doing an event where all the Avengers get giant robots!

Unfortunately, it features the most garbage mecha designs I've ever seen

I look at this picture and in my head I just hear “faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart.”

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

GorfZaplen posted:

Man superhero comics just look like complete poo poo

The armor from the "What if Ultraman was Iron Man?" Ultraman manga

The armor Iron Man is currently wearing in the Iron Man comic

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, they can't all be the version with a nose and pop-out roller skates.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

I mean, western comics had been doing wild poo poo for decades too. There's room for more than one branch of new development.

Even aside from the cape comic stuff, Watchman's constant nine panel grid and the choice to make almost every panel an example of "what not to do" from How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way meant it stood out aesthetically compared to pretty much everything at the time, taking fantastical concepts and making them feel mundane.

One thing I've seen discussion of relatively recently is how western comics used to be defined by a more detailed artistic style than most manga, while most manga had a better grasp on conveying action. There are exceptions on both sides (Vagabond is pretty detailed as are the Ultraman panels on display in this very thread, while Kirby could do action scenes like nobody's business) but it's not the worst as a historical rule of thumb.

Modern Marvel, however, can't usually get the best artists, so it neither looks good nor has the smooth flow you get in a good Shonen Jump fight scene. Worst of both worlds.

Going back to the mechs, yeah, they're not great. Somehow, though, the cover looks even worse. It gives them a more unified visual style, but it doesn't help.

Looking back, I think the Mega Morphs looked better, and they weren't exactly setting beauty standards.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gripweed posted:

The armor Iron Man is currently wearing in the Iron Man comic

:laffo:

Okay, I'm not expecting Marvel to have brilliant genius mecha/power armor designers, but come on, what on Earth is this?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I can't believe Tony Stark invented Silhouette Packs.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Kanos posted:

Okay, I'm not expecting Marvel to have brilliant genius mecha/power armor designers, but come on, what on Earth is this?

Something that is probably very easy to draw a large amount of times lol

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

Funny, I thought it looked the worst, mostly because the head is too tiny, it looks like Black Panther's regular sized head on a mecha body.

Tiny heads on mecha are fine. They're a reminder that you're looking at a machine, not a guy in a costume, and they convey a sense of imposing scale and bulk. See also, the Guren from Code Geass, the Zearth from Bokurano, or most of the Martian mecha from Aldnoah Zero.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'd describe Black Panther's as resembling a Pacific Rim Jaegar while most of the rest are either aping a Transformer's aesthetic or are just big Iron Man.

It's one of the better realized of the lot, not that that's saying much.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I'd describe Black Panther's as resembling a Pacific Rim Jaegar while most of the rest are either aping a Transformer's aesthetic or are just big Iron Man.

It's one of the better realized of the lot, not that that's saying much.

Yeah, it looks quite a bit like Striker Eureka.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Kanos posted:

It's nanotech, it grows guns and cannons and stuff. I kind of like it (the panel/page posted wasn't the most flattering example)?

I believe they changed the armor again after the writer change. I don't know, I haven't read superhero comics in years either.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Schneider Heim posted:

It's nanotech, it grows guns and cannons and stuff. I kind of like it (the panel/page posted wasn't the most flattering example)?

I believe they changed the armor again after the writer change. I don't know, I haven't read superhero comics in years either.

It looks like a onesie with a breastplate.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

nice pajamas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
If I want to see some good Obari work that isn’t Gundam, what are my options? Preferably something I can stream with at least subtitles.