Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
kinda like how peeps wont believe you that "tiffany" as a name is attested to be a millenium old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Hey, that's what Minsc calls Lilarcor, it has precedent :v:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I didn't realize that if I left the door to my mountain base open, the wild woman I'm trying to train would just ... move in. She eats the kibble I leave out for the cats but she takes it to the dining room, sleeps in the spare bedroom, hangs out in the rec room in the evening, she's basically a noble guest at this point just without clothes. :shrug:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Moon Slayer posted:

I didn't realize that if I left the door to my mountain base open, the wild woman I'm trying to train would just ... move in. She eats the kibble I leave out for the cats but she takes it to the dining room, sleeps in the spare bedroom, hangs out in the rec room in the evening, she's basically a noble guest at this point just without clothes. :shrug:

Yeah I let a wild woman do this for a while and then she tried to eat one of my colonists, so..

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah I let a wild woman do this for a while and then she tried to eat one of my colonists, so..

God, I love this game.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Now a lost alcoholic we took in has (surprise) decided to betray us, but he announced it while he was incapacitated in his hospital bed, we just shot him to death in his bed.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Now a lost alcoholic we took in has (surprise) decided to betray us, but he announced it while he was incapacitated in his hospital bed, we just shot him to death in his bed.

Whoa, wtf?

I would not risk damaging a hospital bed like that, let alone the nearby vitals monitor.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Ehh, it's highly unlikely do destroy them and any damage can just be patched up.

Which mod is the book from?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

Ehh, it's highly unlikely do destroy them and any damage can just be patched up.

Which mod is the book from?

Vanilla Books Expanded.

It's a neat way to keep pawns leveled up when they don't have their specific task to do while also with good quality books a way to train up new colonists while not sticking them on making sandstone stools or whatever.

My best artist got an inspiration that I decided to use on their art book and they made a Legendary Art book. With one reading session the normal pawn will usually get 4k-6k art experience. One's with passions get up to 7k.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HelloSailorSign posted:

Vanilla Books Expanded.

It's a neat way to keep pawns leveled up when they don't have their specific task to do while also with good quality books a way to train up new colonists while not sticking them on making sandstone stools or whatever.

My best artist got an inspiration that I decided to use on their art book and they made a Legendary Art book. With one reading session the normal pawn will usually get 4k-6k art experience. One's with passions get up to 7k.

Yes legendary books are extremely powerful for training people, but they are still limited by the 4k per day learning cap so broadly it just means that even people with no interest can easily get 4k experience per day in the skill. It does make passionate people learn faster too but it's not just like an infinite neurotrainer, not quite.

Also book quality affects how much you can learn, a good book will only let you get up to level 10 in a skill. And they require about 5500 labour to produce using a writing desk, and they also work based of intellectual for work speed crossed with the specific skill for quality, so if you have someone who's really good at something but dumb as a bag of hammers they will take a very very long time to write a book about it.

I quite like it on the whole. A small library with books on all subjects is a very powerful thing but books are also very valuable and labour intensive to produce, so it sort of balances out. It also accurately creates the concept of institutional knowledge where your colony can train people in any skill if you invest the time and resources into acquiring the right books.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Zosologist posted:

Just lost a long time colony, and I'm looking for something different. Can someone hit me with a nice big modlist?

Ideas for a themed playthrough are also welcome.

If you haven't done a Rimworld of Magic run I suggest that. It's kinda OP but a lot of fun.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The books are great with the mods that add children, once kids start reading just tell them to read a few books daily and by the time they're capable of good work they can be planet masters at whatever, smithing the greatest plasteel halberds and charge LMGs the Rim has ever seen.

Or legendary statues of people vomiting in diamond.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Unrelated:

What's going on with these floors and walls? I want to make my colony pretty too.

e: VV thanks!

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 18, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The entire thing is using a texture pack called "better walls and floors" and the tribal walls specifically are part of the related "extra walls and floors"

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1771295228&searchtext=better+walls+and+floors
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1882432197&searchtext=better+walls+and+floors

The former retextures the whole game environment into a more... dark and realistic sort of look, I really like it.

The fancy painted stone and carved leather are from the beautyfloors mod.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2054580861&searchtext=painted+stone+floor

The latter is a little bit rough around the edges but it has some nice options for high quality, high resource intensity flooring and it integrates well with the above retexture.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I just watched some videos from a dude called Roll 1d2 and Christ on the Cross the modding scene is absolutely buckwild these days. Might well be on the cusp of getting back into RimWorld.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I recommend the hell out of it, Android Tiers, Save Our Ship 2, Rimworld of Magic, all massive mods that add huge elements to the game, and also all intercompatible (also gonna shill Combat Extended again which the compatability expansion really helps make better) also the whole Vanilla Expanded collection does what it says, expands vanilla elements. There's also the Dubs series with Hygiene, rimefeller and rimatomics for just really good systems that are fun to play with.

Oh and a smaller mod that I have also been enjoying is https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2006638530&searchtext=preservation Enemy Self Preservation.

Basically it makes it so if raiders take hits, they run away. Which is good IMO because it means you're not dealing with annoyingly huge raids (or rather, it is easier to thin their numbers) but at the same time you're not getting huge piles of loot either, because when people run away they take their stuff with them, so it makes raids simultaneously less deadly (if you can fight them off OK) and also less like giant piles of loot that you have to clean up, it reduces snowballing both of power and colony wealth and also gives you the interesting option of risking your colonists specifically to take out the one rear end in a top hat with really good gear that you want to stop from getting away.

Also of course mechanoids don't run so there are still implacable enemies to fight, but I think it's a much better balance for human enemies who also have the best rewards for fighting them. Works well with CE too because they already have the suppression and panic mechanics. Very fun and thematic to watch a raid get shot to poo poo on the approach and just collectively NOPE the hell out of your colony before they get close.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 19, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Some of those I've used extensively already (You wouldn't believe how nice some of the shitters I've built are :v:) but I definitely want to get Save Our Ship running, and Enemy Self Preservation looks like an extremely good mod.

Does SOS2 interact well with RimWar? The latter looks like something I've wanted in the game since like 2015, but I'm particularly interested in if they can interact in any cool ways?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm still terrible at this game and can't even take a 300% colony into the late game without reloading but two things that really annoy me about vanilla expanded mods are

1: one of them creates a changing that'll transform and attack at 0 hunger. That's fine but post transform it's an animal but if you kill it (or maybe regsrdless) everyone gets a colonist died debuff. Thankfully although it makes human meat there's no butcher debuff.

2: the wild west pirate faction will absolutely gently caress your poo poo absolutely up if you don't have good brawlers early.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Enemy Self Preservation is definitely a plus to the immersive side, as pawns with traits like Tough will just keep coming regardless. It's also really useful with raids that have loads of family relations in them as you set a pawn to shoot the relations a few times so they run off instead of dying to your firing line.

A colonist with a minigun is even better vs. huge tribal raids, a big ol' spray usually sends 10 or so fleeing, which to me kinda makes sense.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I need to refind that mod with the fearless cannibal tribal encirclement event.

It's pretty fun to have your thought process go from "Psssssh tribals, the turrets will mulch them" to "Oh christ they keep loving coming."

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'm still terrible at this game and can't even take a 300% colony into the late game without reloading but two things that really annoy me about vanilla expanded mods are

1: one of them creates a changing that'll transform and attack at 0 hunger. That's fine but post transform it's an animal but if you kill it (or maybe regsrdless) everyone gets a colonist died debuff. Thankfully although it makes human meat there's no butcher debuff.

2: the wild west pirate faction will absolutely gently caress your poo poo absolutely up if you don't have good brawlers early.

The first one is actually a new animal from Alpha Animals, not something from Vanilla Expanded. You can disable that event from the mod options like with the other wild animal events Alpha Animals adds.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HelloSailorSign posted:

A colonist with a minigun is even better vs. huge tribal raids, a big ol' spray usually sends 10 or so fleeing, which to me kinda makes sense.

Yeah that kinda thing is absolutely why I like it, especially as vanilla rimworld doesn't really handle guns super well, the fact that people run away when they get shot really helps to give combat that sort of coherent feel to it, like if someone's firing a minigun at you you're not gonna go "well I only got shot once so statistically I have a reasonable chance of surviving" you're gonna be like "OH gently caress NO" and leg it.

I have never used Rim War (or heard of it til now) so I cannot say how it interacts.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 19, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Can somebody explain brawlers to me and what's a good shooter-to-brawler ratio?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Brawlers are the people dumb enough to look at an entrenched enemy position and think "yeah I can totally take that." They need a bunch of armor and a shield belt in order to be effective. But if they can, against all odds, get close to the enemy firing line, they can completely disrupt it with their hopefully impressive melee skill.

Or, in a more likely scenario, you send Johnny McBrawler out to attack the enemy in melee while Joe Dipshit covers him with a charge rifle. Joe misses badly and winds up shooting Johnny in the back for critical damage. This instantly breaks his shield and three of his ribs. And then the enemy firing line makes him look like swiss cheese.

I basically never use brawlers unless it's to attack a prisoner trying to escape.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Melee is important because shooters(yours, enemy) cannot shoot while they are in melee. Your 20 Shooting/2 Melee guy with a sniper rifle becomes a future hospital bed occupant if two idiots with spears or a single big insect get adjacent to him. Likewise you don't want enemy mechanoids or gunners to have the luxury of firing into a brawl at your guys because the AI doesn't care about friendly fire attrition. Brawlers can be used very efficiently by building your base entrances so that the enemy has to round sharp corners to see targets to shoot. Have your brawlers around the corner, enter melee before they can fire. Stuff like that.

I like to have at least 3 brawlers(to 8+ shooters but I like big colonies) because that's enough to hold a 3-5 tile wide hallway pretty comfortably for bug invasions, which are 100% melee in Vanilla and many mods. They can also shoot(unless they have the trait to HATE GUN) until the melee and engage the lone enemy or two that clears the killbox and approaches the cover line. So in theory you don't need a limit, there isn't an opportunity cost very often. May be less chances to train, but the only real qualification for a brawler is "somebody you're willing to see get hurt and potentially die before the others." Having 1-3 colonists in heavy armor with great weapons eviscerate wounded enemies is a lot better than hoping your machine gun crews can club them, and while they're occupied they aren't shooting, weakening the killbox.

Brawlers are also very important because melee defenses stack rapidly. Get a tough colonist, get good armor, you can end up with somebody who can take dozens, literally dozens of hits and wounds in melee and come out with Pain: Severe. Melee is MUCH safer than gunfights for the most part.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Based on how defenses and AI raiders work you’ll end up capturing brawlers more often than shooters so they have one huge advantage: they’re just better at dying.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The main determinant of melee utility is the battlefield. And as this is a colony builder, you can have a lot of control over the battlefield. If you try to charge them into a gunline you'll get your poo poo pushed in but if you let the enemy come into an area that you have changed the terrain of, with lots of tight spaces and doorways, then melee can be quite effective.

The other big thing that isn't immediately obvious is that enemies can't move through each other if there is something in the way. If you block a doorway with a brawler and there are ten enemies on the other side, they will all stack up behind the first guy. They can shoot over each other, but if the enemy is melee focused then they will just sit there and do nothing. Also you can reliably shoot over people who are close to your shooters, but after a short distance you will start to run the risk of shooting people in the back. The enemy will not deal with this well and can end up shooting themselves in the back a lot if you make them stack up.

Probably the best use case is with insects, who are all melee focused and always appear in your base, so brawlers can be very useful for holding them back while your gunners shoot them from behind the safety of your melee troops. The way vanilla rimworld handles large numbers of targets and ranged attacks means that you might well have need for something that can actually stop enemy melee troops to give your guys time to shoot them. They also are useful in pitched firefights because shielded troops can draw enemy fire and a shielded soldier in armour behind cover can take a lot of hits without flinching that might injure your gun troops.

I also like the CE changes to melee which makes it possible to out-quality the enemy quite effectively most of the time and combined with ballistic shields and their changes to shield belts, you can actually make some real good space marine type dudes with heavy armour who can shrug off damage and beat people up.

E: oh and another small thing is that melee scales like hell with quality, if you combine advanced materials and item quality then melee weapons can quickly become far more deadly than ranged weapons, which just become easier for skilled shooters to hit with. Melee quality outright boosts damage, and you can get to the point where you're dismembering people with a single strike.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 19, 2020

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Persona weapons make brawlers into a super pawn, and can easily out DPS shooters. Add Locust armor or a jump pack and the issue of closing on an open field is mostly gone (barring sniper rifle range).

Zeushammer brawlers can regularly stun centipedes, plasmasword wielders can set their target on fire (which removes that target from combat until it's no longer on fire), and mono swords have 90%+ armor piercing and a super high DPS.

A minigun is going to get you ~10DPS, chain shotgun ~11DPS, and a normal quality Persona Monosword is 16DPS with 84% armor penetration. If you get a colonist with the brawler trait bionic'd up (and nimble to boot), they're going to be an absolute monster 1v1 with a Persona Monosword. An excellent Persona Monosword is 19DPS and 100% armor penetration. If you get good persona weapon traits that's even better.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Brawlers are also quite handy for tying up centipedes so they can't just immolate your entire firing line. They aren't total chumps in melee but it buys precious time to shoot them down.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
A decently skilled brawler with a good weapon and armor can absolutely shred a raid if they get stuck in.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DoubleNegative posted:

Brawlers are the people dumb enough to look at an entrenched enemy position and think "yeah I can totally take that." They need a bunch of armor and a shield belt in order to be effective. But if they can, against all odds, get close to the enemy firing line, they can completely disrupt it with their hopefully impressive melee skill.

Or, in a more likely scenario, you send Johnny McBrawler out to attack the enemy in melee while Joe Dipshit covers him with a charge rifle. Joe misses badly and winds up shooting Johnny in the back for critical damage. This instantly breaks his shield and three of his ribs. And then the enemy firing line makes him look like swiss cheese.

I basically never use brawlers unless it's to attack a prisoner trying to escape.

Invest in jetpacks, or armor with jetpacks built in. Or the Skip psycast. Brawlers rule with the right gear

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the biggest hurdle is that brawlers really do need good gear to be effective, because so much of their effectiveness depends on it. Early on it's a crapshoot because without armour and high skill/weapons they just eat poo poo in a fight even against basic enemies, but once you get access to power armour and high end melee weapons they start to get a lot more useful, and shield belts are a qualitative step up because it allows them to just shrug off light fire, makes them a lot less susceptible to unlucky hits while their armour makes them highly resistant to anything ranged fighters can do in melee.

E: yeah and anything that lets them close range is good too, bionics, psy powers, jetpacks.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
A good setup for a melee character is the new locust armor which gives you an integral jump pack and allows you to wear a shield belt at the same time. Combine it with some psycasts like skipshield, invisibilty, and smokepop and you have a great flanker that can zip in and do some damage before flying out when things get too hairy.

Though against late game raids, it's just too tricky trying to go on the offensive when you can get easily mobbed, so I just turn my melee dudes into tanks who wear better armor and just hold off a passage.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Came here to join in the "brawlers are terrifying if you can actually get them into melee range" party

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It’s funny when a brawler gets a shooter in melee it’s like they’re saying “I’m not locked in here with you, you’re locked in here with me” because the shooter is at such a disadvantage.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I have a few melee pawns borged to the gills, armed with beta poly weapons, and space tech armor, will occasionally one shot centipedes if they decide to hit an important part. The issue at this part of the game is I decided to build my colony next to a river, which makes for easy power but drastically decreases the defendablility of my base.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a little odd that afaik the base game really doesn't take advantage of when they added that ranged weapons could have melee stats. There's no guns with bayonets on. Or melee weapons with like a token ranged attack.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ratkin can use gunblades that are also artillery.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Is there any way to edit the climate of an area once you've started the game? I'm a year and a half in with a map and pawns I adore, but I've just realized that this boreal forest is too warm to get snow, which is the entire reason I wanted to play in boreal anyway. I had no idea this could even happen, but there it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I thought the bolt action rifle had a pierce melee attack representing a bayonet?