Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Its only a book if japanese people dont make it

Also deltora quest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

Its only a book if japanese people dont make it

Also deltora quest

I love how cheesy the third OP song is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQCJ5CSH9T8

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Lensman movie was cool, too bad E.E. Smith's estate and the book nerds hate it

Also that Starship Troopers anime has neat power suit designs

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the japan-exclusive deltora quest jrpg with music from people who composed for baroque, mushihimesama and deathsmiles, and a script from the writer of ff8

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’d like to thank “What I Talk About When I Talk About Running” for saving me from the embarrassing fate of having the only Japanese books I’ve read be light novels

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Cappy posted:

Cops, please probate stairmaster for this post because it made me wonder what he got probed for which led to me unknowingly reading the vtuber thread, a fate worse than death. Also, while you have your mod tools open, delete the vtuber thread. Thank you.
No. Stairmaster is a good egg. Well, sorta.

nrook posted:

I’d like to thank “What I Talk About When I Talk About Running” for saving me from the embarrassing fate of having the only Japanese books I’ve read be light novels
I'd recommend you to check more Haruki Murakami books, even if he's (admittedly) kinda one-note at points.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Murakami is really cool if very horny. I read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle last year and Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World this year, and both were really good, though I only really appreciated the latter in retrospect. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle in particular really stuck with me, the plot barely exists but the way it reads and flows is like a really compelling dream. I bought a bunch of other books of his I need to get to at some point.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i like the japan-exclusive deltora quest jrpg with music from people who composed for baroque, mushihimesama and deathsmiles, and a script from the writer of ff8

I watched someone play this once and it looked cool

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

as someone who read deltora as a kid, finding out it has an anime is weird as hell

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

it's like if there was a final fantasy 2.5 between 2 and 3 that I never knew about

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Final Fantasy, is the Unlimited anime any good?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

Noooooooooooo

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Julias posted:

Noooooooooooo

How about any of the other FF related OVAs then? I know there’s at least a couple.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Larryb posted:

the first episode has some animation by kou yoshinari and the opening is cool. that is everything positive there is to say about final fantasy unlimited.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Willo567 posted:

I meant anime and manga based off contemporary western literature

Howl's Moving Castle.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Larryb posted:

How about any of the other FF related OVAs then? I know there’s at least a couple.

The FF5 ova is rubbish, other than that it think there's only the character episodes for FF15 and they're okay if you like FF15?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/1329110881628778504?s=19

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

drat that sucks

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Del Taco Quest

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Furnaceface posted:

Ive never watched Slayers. :(

Please post in the Slayers thread as you watch it because it's still fun to see peoples' fresh reactions to it years after its release. I finally watched it for the first time after seeing that thread and went through the original three seasons and all the movies over the span of a couple weeks and it's all so good.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/AlyssaSaid__/status/1329065547145895937?s=20

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Wark Say posted:

I'd recommend you to check more Haruki Murakami books, even if he's (admittedly) kinda one-note at points.

Arist posted:

Murakami is really cool if very horny. I read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle last year and Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World this year, and both were really good, though I only really appreciated the latter in retrospect. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle in particular really stuck with me, the plot barely exists but the way it reads and flows is like a really compelling dream. I bought a bunch of other books of his I need to get to at some point.

Yeah, I was going to check more of his books out of the library earlier this year, but, well. Events transpired. I'll get around to it at some point, honest.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Sakurazuka posted:

The FF5 ova is rubbish,

You take that back!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm rewatching devilman crybaby and how much of a netflix original is it Vs they just bought the rights? I love it but it's a strange beast that I can't see it being greenlit despite devilmans history

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

netflix loves to steal valor

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

According to yuasa, aniplex approached him with the idea and they and dynamic (go nagai's company) are the producers. It was distributed through netflix iunno if they were involved beyond that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Oh man I had no idea he directed Japan sinks 2020 is it good?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Was it the FF5 OVA where Mid is a ghost who lives in a girl's rear end

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Was it the FF5 OVA where Mid is a ghost who lives in a girl's rear end

i remember an rear end laser so probably

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Devilman Crybaby is a complete Netflix original as it never aired on television and debuted worldwide simultaneously on the service. I also believe they were part of the production committee.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Jose posted:

I would definitely say it's one of Yuasa's weaker works. As for whether it's good or not, it's a bit divisive, some people loved it, some thought it was just dumb, so you'll probably just have to experience it for yourself to see if you dig it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

A friend recently put me onto this, and I found the first two chapters to be some of the best manga I've seen this side of Vinland Saga, so I'm just going to drop a rec here for anyone in the mood for some melancholy fantasy.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
frieren's first battle arc (it runs in weekly shonen sunday) got mixed reactions in the thread, but it's seems to have gotten back on track with its latest chapters

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Jose posted:

I'm rewatching devilman crybaby and how much of a netflix original is it Vs they just bought the rights? I love it but it's a strange beast that I can't see it being greenlit despite devilmans history

it was produced by Aniplex and netflix bought it from them

i don't think netflix has directly produced any of their anime yet, its all stuff they bought the rights to

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Jose posted:

I hated it, probably the worst show I watched this year.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Spiritus Nox posted:

A friend recently put me onto this, and I found the first two chapters to be some of the best manga I've seen this side of Vinland Saga, so I'm just going to drop a rec here for anyone in the mood for some melancholy fantasy.

Read the first three chapters and I'm getting some YKK vibes from this

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I got my PS5 and managed to fire up Funimations app to watch Akudama Drive. On the plus side, no pausing even once during the ep. my connection is so beefy on PS5 it can handle the app being lovely. Well, Funimation figured that something still had to be broken so they made the subtitles look like poo poo. Huge font, and gigantic black boxes around them.

Thanks funimation. I didn’t want to see animation on the screen when people talk a lot either.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kuzuhana is so good.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

kuzuhana is so good.

I wish the best for them, even though Kuzuhana is obviously going to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DDW03K8UNs

What a good doggo