Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I got the cashmirian suit + the imperial classic with gloves,so cooool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Aw, now I feel kinda bad for poisoning him so many times. I never stick around to hear him say that :(
(I guess I'll have to stick to more comical and/or brutal murders, like perfectly throwing an axe across the room into his head :D )

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Major Isoor posted:

I guess I'll have to stick to more comical and/or brutal murders
The most comical kill I ever got in these games was on Cross:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NvYvx3Edug
Forever annoyed that you can't do that in Hitman 2, hope they fix it for H3 :v:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Not Hitman related, but I imagine interesting to most people who follow this thread at this point: an announcement of an announcement.

https://twitter.com/IOInteractive/status/1329061800533438464

Edit: A reminder that IO Interactive has two studios these days. IOI Copenhagen, Denmark and IOI Malmö, Sweden (opened at the start of 2019).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 18, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Mierenneuker posted:

Edit: A reminder that IO Interactive has two studios these days. IOI Copenhagen, Denmark and IOI Malmö, Sweden (opened at the start of 2019).

:hmmyes:

They’re like 45 minutes apart.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The_Doctor posted:

:hmmyes:

They’re like 45 minutes apart.

But there is an bridge between them, right? I hear it’s kind of a big deal.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

There’s a toll, yeah. Oh, and a border.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, and a border.
They are both in Schengen so that doesn't matter.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I believe Malmo was announced to be working on an original IP when it was first opened.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Ok, I never played a Hitman game before, but 'season 1' was free on Stadia and the tutorial made it clear this is a series I've missed out on.

Gonna wait for a sale before I drop the cash for 2 with legacy pack (recommended way to buy?), but I'm guessing Blood Money, which is 9$ on Steam, is probably a good entry point?

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Fintilgin posted:

Ok, I never played a Hitman game before, but 'season 1' was free on Stadia and the tutorial made it clear this is a series I've missed out on.

Gonna wait for a sale before I drop the cash for 2 with legacy pack (recommended way to buy?), but I'm guessing Blood Money, which is 9$ on Steam, is probably a good entry point?

For buying Hitman 2, I think it's generally recommended to also try and pick up Hitman 2016 on sale. It tends to be cheaper than the Legacy DLCs and the 2016 GOTY edition also gets you the extra campaign. HM2 will recognize your ownership of HM2016 and grant you access to the original levels if they're on the same platform (I know it works automagically if they're both on Steam, might be hoops to jump thru on other platforms).

As for older Hitmans, Blood Money is still worth checking out if you really liked HM1. It's like a rough draft of the new games mechanics-wise but has some good levels. Anything before Blood Money is really dated at this point, and Absolution is kind of a different style of game and also bad.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Don’t ever play absolution,it’s dogshit and a complete misfire/lowpoint/complete misunderstanding of what a Hitman game should be.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Agree with these posts entirely. Blood Money is good, but probably quite difficult to go back to after playing the new games. Its tutorial level is really bad, but once you've survived that then I think it's a good introduction to the series, as it built on pretty much everything that came before it in terms of gameplay. There are some atmospheric highlights in the older games, but otherwise they're very dated. And yes, avoid Absolution.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I'm going to say that Blood Money isn't a great entry point for the series any more. It's very old, and the mechanics haven't aged that well. It's a fun game, but it won't really introduce to to Today's Modern Hitman.

Hitman (2016) and Hitman 2 (2018) will almost certainly be on sale in the next week or two, especially with Hitman 3 (2021) something like 60 days away. Epic's got a one-year exclusive on 3 for PC, and they've already given away 1 recently. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 given away soon, too.

That said, 2016 and 2018 are 100% worth the money. I pre-ordered both ultimate editions, and don't regret it one bit. I'm a little salty about the Epic exclusivity, but there are worse things than a lovely storefront for one of my favorite games in the market right now.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Don’t ever play absolution,it’s dogshit and a complete misfire/lowpoint/complete misunderstanding of what a Hitman game should be.

At the right price (free?), Chinatown and the Gunstore, can be fun to screw around in.

But yeah, Absolution is ironically named. :/

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I got it for free and i still feel robbed.

Anyway,contracts,blood money and absopootion were my first forays into Hitman and i’ve only seen the first and second games through youtube.

They look fascinating in how ahead of their time they were but also i imagine they’re unplayable by modern standards.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Hmm, okay, thanks for the advice, I'll definitely watch out for the sale hopefully coming up.

Might still pick up Blood Money and poke at it. I was always a big fan of 'immersive sims' like Thief and had heard of Hitman but it never really hit my radar. My home internet is crap for Stadia, but I've messed with it on my work computer on lunch break and after the training mission of 2016 I figured I better give the series a look. I'm thinking it's better to do the old game first, before I'm spoiled by the new ones.

EDIT: :lol: I already own it, must have got it on some old Steam sale. :xd:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I don't know if this will become a video when the livestream is over, but I'll embed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slAhuh21ii8

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Agent 47

and now

Agent 007

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
As I was playing Hitman 2016 for the first time I kept saying to a friend “this is a more James Bond video game than any other actual James Bond game” so this is extremely welcome news

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Oooh cool! Maybe we can be a scottish james bond and be a racist misogynist.

Bonus points if we can pretend to be chinese.

Sarcasm aside it’s extremely cool news.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Bonus points if we can pretend to be chinese.

My internal canon has always been along the lines of:

47 disguises himself as someone he absolutely looks nothing like.
The odd enforcer decides to call him out on it, sure.
But the vast majority of guards take one look at a 6ft bald man pretending to be a gardener who only 10 minutes ago was absolutely 5'6", with a beard and of an entirely different race and think "gently caress that I am absolutely not getting involved in whatever crazy is going on here" and just wave him through.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Red Oktober posted:

My internal canon has always been along the lines of:

47 disguises himself as someone he absolutely looks nothing like.
The odd enforcer decides to call him out on it, sure.
But the vast majority of guards take one look at a 6ft bald man pretending to be a gardener who only 10 minutes ago was absolutely 5'6", with a beard and of an entirely different race and think "gently caress that I am absolutely not getting involved in whatever crazy is going on here" and just wave him through.

Well just for clarification i was talking about the sean connery james bond

But i do agree with you.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Oh, 100%, got it right off. I just wanted to use it as an excuse to drop in my theory.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
would be hilarious to get David Bateson to voice 007

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I mean it IS stupid that a security guard knows every face and back of everyones head at a 4000 people fashion show with flashing lights and crowds and a surprising amount of bald people by sheer coincidence.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Color me super intrigued. I feel like this dev could do for Bond what Arkham and PS4 Spider-Man did for their respective properties.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Mission Impossible would have been a much better fit tbh

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Not enough killing in Mission impossible,i hope we get lots of designer suits and cars,and one liners and big guns.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Good for them hope it's good

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Well just for clarification i was talking about the sean connery james bond

But i do agree with you.

If you look even further at his roles in movies like Highlander, The Untouchables, Time Bandits,The Hunt For Red October and The Next Man you’ll find that Sean Connery was a cultural chameleon!

Much like 47, he wasn’t always very convincing to a direct observer yet the people around him never seemed to mind.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I mean it IS stupid that a security guard knows every face and back of everyones head at a 4000 people fashion show with flashing lights and crowds and a surprising amount of bald people by sheer coincidence.

I would guess it's more supposed to be like, that one guy just knows you don't belong. I mean, you have an invitation, 47 shows it at the door.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mierenneuker posted:

If you look even further at his roles in movies like Highlander, The Untouchables, Time Bandits,The Hunt For Red October and The Next Man you’ll find that Sean Connery was a cultural chameleon!

Much like 47, he wasn’t always very convincing to a direct observer yet the people around him never seemed to mind.

:hmmyes: I think you've solved it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So many of the Hitman 2016/H2 missions feel like Bond anyway. When you kill your target and then escape in a speedboat or snowmobile or just jumping off a high thing, it’s absolutely Bond. The theme tune sting fits perfectly at those points.

Honestly, I’m kinda hoping it’s basically a reskin with Daniel Craig’s face.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I’m imagining them remaking the n64 goldeneye levels but in the hitman engine and yes, I want this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh god, they’ve already got Sean Bean’s number. For England, James!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Oh god yes! I never even liked GE64 but that sounds awesome.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The 007 licence is the perfect fit for IOI.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not really a huge Bond fan but this has the potential to be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Clearly MrFreeze was in on it due to his use of Goldeneye music in many of his Hitman walkthroughs.