Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah give Butcher money or don't, but the real story is that his books this year were just on the okay end of the spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

docbeard posted:

Yeah give Butcher money or don't, but the real story is that his books this year were just on the okay end of the spectrum.

Going to disagree here and say that Peace Talks and Battle Ground were dumpster fires.

Meanwhile, re-read Verus while I've been stuck at home with COVID and its held up. First three books were kinda hokey but after that the series picked up and got better.

It helps that Verus finally says gently caress it and embraces being ruthless with people that gently caress with the people and magical creatures he cares about.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
For an alternative perspective, Peace Talks and Battle Ground were 1 book that was actually pretty good overall. Battle Ground in particular contained a lot of "holy poo poo" moments, so if you want to see what it looks like when people besides Dresden cut loose I would read them.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The only real issue with the PT+BG set is that they should have been one book, and editing them into two screw up the pacing a little.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Going to disagree here and say that Peace Talks and Battle Ground were dumpster fires.

Meanwhile, re-read Verus while I've been stuck at home with COVID and its held up. First three books were kinda hokey but after that the series picked up and got better.

It helps that Verus finally says gently caress it and embraces being ruthless with people that gently caress with the people and magical creatures he cares about.

Well, it's not like Verus was exactly super-nice toward those types in the first place. It's more that he's got the power to go after the bigger game asshle.

Meanwhile, given that you seem to utterly despise Jim Butcher's works, why do you continue to read them? And you are reading them. You can discuss them intelligently and are fully conversant with even somewhat minor plot and character points. So, why?

I used to read Laurell K. Hamilton's "Anita Blake" series. I stopped reading in the middle of Narcissus in Chains because the "poly" strangeness and other stuff just got to be too much. And for the most part I haven't looked back. I know I certainly can't discuss anything that happened after that book. Even when earlier books come up in discussion here I sometimes have to hit Wikipedia to remind myself of some plot and characters because I literally haven't read any of her works in almost 20 years (NiC came out in 2001).

So, why are you continuing to read and discuss an author for whom you seem to have nothing but contempt? Forget us, why do you put yourself through that? I'm not even taking shots at you. I'm honestly curious to know.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Everyone posted:

Well, it's not like Verus was exactly super-nice toward those types in the first place. It's more that he's got the power to go after the bigger game asshle.

Meanwhile, given that you seem to utterly despise Jim Butcher's works, why do you continue to read them? And you are reading them. You can discuss them intelligently and are fully conversant with even somewhat minor plot and character points. So, why?

I used to read Laurell K. Hamilton's "Anita Blake" series. I stopped reading in the middle of Narcissus in Chains because the "poly" strangeness and other stuff just got to be too much. And for the most part I haven't looked back. I know I certainly can't discuss anything that happened after that book. Even when earlier books come up in discussion here I sometimes have to hit Wikipedia to remind myself of some plot and characters because I literally haven't read any of her works in almost 20 years (NiC came out in 2001).

So, why are you continuing to read and discuss an author for whom you seem to have nothing but contempt? Forget us, why do you put yourself through that? I'm not even taking shots at you. I'm honestly curious to know.

They don't need to justify themselves to you. I see this question pop up a lot in this thread and it's always to try and dogpile someone for not liking something that they clearly have read and actually understand.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kchama posted:

They don't need to justify themselves to you. I see this question pop up a lot in this thread and it's always to try and dogpile someone for not liking something that they clearly have read and actually understand.

I'm not asking for justification. I'm just curious. If I don't like something, I avoid it. I'm not into basketball, so I don't watch it. I don't follow it closely and then write various screeds against it. It just seems odd to me. Maybe they're a professional book reviewer who is required to read the books. I'd just like to know, that's all.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In a rare "agreeing with you" moment I'd say that's fair for Peace Talks on its own. I enjoyed the combined two books a fair bit more (and certainly more than you seem to have) but it wasn't exactly a return to the glory days of the series for me.

I'm just getting over COVID myself and what an absolute bastard of a disease. Hope you're okay, friend.

I've been meaning to try out Verus for a while after seeing it talked up here. The time I've felt like devoting to pleasure reading has gone way downhill of late, though.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Peace Talks, while necessary to set up the plot for Battle Ground, wasn't that great. The only thing that really saves it is the fact that Battle Ground came out shortly after. If we had had to wait even another year for BG, I think a lot of people would be angry instead of just disappointed with it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I have a feeling all the Thomas garbage was added in as filler, because I can't imagine wanting to put that in.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Everyone posted:

I'm not asking for justification. I'm just curious. If I don't like something, I avoid it. I'm not into basketball, so I don't watch it. I don't follow it closely and then write various screeds against it. It just seems odd to me. Maybe they're a professional book reviewer who is required to read the books. I'd just like to know, that's all.

Buddy, I have had this exact same thought over so many things on the Internet over the years that I have stopped questioning it. I've transitioned into a more laissez-faire attitude, where people can be free to hate something or like something regardless of the why of it all. "No why" if you will.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gologle posted:

Buddy, I have had this exact same thought over so many things on the Internet over the years that I have stopped questioning it. I've transitioned into a more laissez-faire attitude, where people can be free to hate something or like something regardless of the why of it all. "No why" if you will.

As long as they've submitted the proper "Permission To Hate <X> On The Internet" forms and schedules, sure. I assume bbfu's paperwork is up to date.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Everyone posted:

Hey man, I get it. I also have no idea why someone would do a hate-watch or hate-read or hate-whatever on the regular. One offs, sure. Sometimes you just need to know more about something even if you hate that thing. But to regularly consume a form of entertainment that you loathe? I don't understand why anyone would do that instead of anything else.

I could say that it's confused us both--buh-dum-tsh!

In the end, though, it doesn't matter. People can hate-read whatever they want. It's not my time they're wasting.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
Next Alex Verus (the second to last?), Forged, is out on Tuesday next week. Get your preorders in.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Everyone posted:

Explain yourselves screed writers!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Drone Jett posted:

Next Alex Verus (the second to last?), Forged, is out on Tuesday next week. Get your preorders in.

I'd like to know what the imbued dress does for Anne, seeing as its the last thing Arachne made before leaving forever, so it seems like a big deal.

Also, seems like Alex could solve the Dark-Anne dilemma with the Dreamstone by opening a portal in Elsewhere and asking Dark-Anne to let Light-Anne go through it to the "real" world, or vice-versa. There is no reason they couldn't then "grow" replacement sections of their personalities once free to do so.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Also I keep reading Dresden because this thread keeps talking about that series and I can't say "thing that happened in the book was bad" if I didn't read the book.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Drone Jett posted:

Oh boy looking forward to this. I was probably gonna do a Verus re-read over the holidays too.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Isn't new Verus coming out Dec 1st? Not next week. But regardless, I am saving it for Dec 3rd when I have a 5 hour train journey.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Darkrenown posted:

Isn't new Verus coming out Dec 1st? Not next week. But regardless, I am saving it for Dec 3rd when I have a 5 hour train journey.

US Amazon has it next Tuesday.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Ah, UK Amazon is a week later.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

I gotta disagree. His continual lack of suffering any consequences of the endless bullshit he pulls is exactly what put me off.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

OscarDiggs posted:

I gotta disagree. His continual lack of suffering any consequences of the endless bullshit he pulls is exactly what put me off.

How far into the series did you get?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How far into the series did you get?

Not very. I think I quit after the book that really put me off.

The brother of the woman he killed trying to get revenge.

And the ultimate consequence for that was He then killed the brother of the sister he killed

I think actually what really put me off was how entitled he was about it. "A bloo bloo bloo. Doesnt he know how sad killing his sister made me?" Just utterly full of himself and mad at the fact any consequence might be coming back to bite him.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

OscarDiggs posted:

And the ultimate consequence for that was He then killed the brother of the sister he killed

I think actually what really put me off was how entitled he was about it. "A bloo bloo bloo. Doesnt he know how sad killing his sister made me?" Just utterly full of himself and mad at the fact any consequence might be coming back to bite him.

Pretty entitled of him not to want to be murdered and to prefer any way to stop it other than being forced to kill in self defense.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Drone Jett posted:

Pretty entitled of him not to want to be murdered and to prefer any way to stop it other than being forced to kill in self defense.

He was pretty eager to get on the murder train as I recall. It was basically his plan from the get go. It was only when he found out he actually deserved it that he started getting all whiny about how unfair it all was.

And call me uneducated, but I don't think it should count as a consequence if to solve it, you do the exact same thing that caused you suffer that consequence in the first place, only more so.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

OscarDiggs posted:

He starts facing consequences after that point and for that reason. Friends cut him off, he loses allies, etc.

I liked it though because it's a much more honest and realistic "dark past" than what Dresden has. Verus actually has a legitimately criminal past.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

He starts facing consequences after that point and for that reason. Friends cut him off, he loses allies, etc.

I liked it though because it's a much more honest and realistic "dark past" than what Dresden has. Verus actually has a legitimately criminal past.

So I basically quit at exactly the wrong time, which was way to early?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Without even reading back, I'm assuming the new title of this thread is a Anita Blake reference right?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Also I keep reading Dresden because this thread keeps talking about that series and I can't say "thing that happened in the book was bad" if I didn't read the book.

While I still can't understand this, it's vastly preferable to the Games version wherein people quit playing a game but hang around and post for years about it's bad they don't like it

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Without even reading back, I'm assuming the new title of this thread is a Anita Blake reference right?

I've not heard anything about Anita Blake. Is it worth a read?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OscarDiggs posted:

I've not heard anything about Anita Blake. Is it worth a read?

I liked the early books. The character is a necromancer who solves crimes and is menaced/romanced by a vampire, then various were-things turn up. Over time, there's less crime solving and more badly written sex; the thread quote made me think of 'Micah', where there's a single scene of some necromancing going on, then an entire book of bad erotica about Anita shagging the author's stand-in of her new post-divorce boyfriend (including lots of description of how massive his cock is), then a single scene of some more necromancing. I gave up after that.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

OscarDiggs posted:

Pretty much every single book after the Nightstalkers has been things getting worse for him based on things he did in the first few books.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I'm a few books behind on Verus, but yeah he's basically spent his entire life trying to get out from under his Dark upbringing and then later what he had to do to survive the first few books and failing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

OscarDiggs posted:

So I basically quit at exactly the wrong time, which was way to early?

I mean, your mileage may vary. I basically agree with what the other folks are saying but there’s definitely also a "fuckhead is getting away with it after all" analysis. Some of his [former] allies express such sentiments with some force!

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

I mean, your mileage may vary. I basically agree with what the other folks are saying but there’s definitely also a "fuckhead is getting away with it after all" analysis. Some of his [former] allies express such sentiments with some force!

Okay, well I came here specifically to find books to read because I hit a drought, so if there are honest to god consequences, most of my complaints are gone.

Because aside from that issue, I enjoyed most aspects of the series. It was just that this specific thing was unignorable. So I'll be happy to give it another shot knowing about this.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

OscarDiggs posted:

Okay, well I came here specifically to find books to read because I hit a drought, so if there are honest to god consequences, most of my complaints are gone.

Because aside from that issue, I enjoyed most aspects of the series. It was just that this specific thing was unignorable. So I'll be happy to give it another shot knowing about this.

Read Piranesi if you haven't, even though it's short.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
From what I remember, Verus didn't murder his sister, though he was complicit in getting her captured. And it was the thing which made him break with Drakh, and he risked his life to save her, and got tortured for it for a while when imprisoned for doing that, before finally escaping. So to me it looked a lot more complex than murderer getting off without consequences.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Nov 20, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

His Divine Shadow posted:

From what I remember, Verus didn't murder his sister, though he was complicit in getting her captured. And it was the thing which made him break with Drakh, and he risked his life to save her, and got tortured for it for a while when imprisoned for doing that, before finally escaping. So to me it looked a lot more complex than murderer getting off without consequences.

Well, technically, he'd still be guilty of felony murder under American law & the "hand of one is the hand of all" doctrine. Like, yes, everything you say is correct, but legally he still could be found guilty of murder if brought to trial. He literally, technically, got away with murder.

For me at least that's the most interesting thing about the Verus series. The "dark pasts" of most urban fantasy protagonists generally need quotation marks; his doesn't, it's real.

Added spoiler tags for new readers just in case

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Speaking of dark pasts, and the way they keep alluding to poo poo in Dresden, I wonder how long it'll be before they end up revealing that the White Council orchestrated events so that Harry's dad would die and he'd end up with Justin and subsequently at the Council's mercy, some lovely "forge him into the tool we need" thing, kinda like Terry in Batman Beyond.