Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Elephunk posted:

I think EX is really fun in training mode but you can't play online except for jank parsec so i didn't get much mileage out of it

you CAN play regular online with it, its just you both need to have the mod or the game eats poo poo hard.
mvc3 EX is (probably) better than what an actual update to mvc3 by capcom would've been, because it's willing to a: seriously overhaul characters and moves that just kinda suck rear end and invent somewhat jank looking new moves out of old assets to give people new tools and b: it didn't completely eviscerate characters like zero, morrigan and vergil but instead toned down the most obviously bullshit parts of the character while giving them so cool minor new toys to play with so they don't feel left out.

phoenix is quite possibly the best character in the game though so if that gives you PTSD steer clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

Check out Sailor Moon FighterS. It’s fuckin sick
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4498/
Honestly, I get more hype for sailor moon than any other game at evo (rest in piss). Well I was hype for ssvs, until last year when the competition was weak as gently caress.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chev posted:

Vtubers are not people. They're just kawaii Max Headrooms.
Theyre definitely people lol

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i dont watch vtubers but i like the shark girl who cusses

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
whens hololive vs nijisanji

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Chaotic Flame posted:

Isn't Max's job...streaming? Does he have another job?

Yeah... that joke wasn't about Max. How many Maxes do you know? For every Max there's 10,000+ who spent years trying to do streaming as a job and their view count never shot up above 30, no matter how much effort or money they threw at it. You probably even know some examples IRL. It's laughable that anyone in their right mind thinks that would work as a job prospect. And yet...

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 19, 2020

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Yeah, tbh for me streaming is community service first (running events for the Tekken community to get reps) and advertising second. During COVID I’ve built up a pretty solid runbook of how to run an online or offline event production (and still adding new stuff, like simultaneous multi-language production). I’m never going to make a dime off of streaming, but the opportunities for production are starting to appear.

Hosting, commentary, production—I’m not sure anybody should try to take streaming seriously unless they’re building something else out of it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah... that joke wasn't about Max. How many Maxes do you know? For every Max there's 10,000+ who spent years trying to do streaming as a job and their view count never shot up above 30, no matter how much effort or money they threw at it. You probably even know some examples IRL. It's laughable that anyone in their right mind thinks that would work as a job prospect. And yet...

I mean, if you make a living doing it, even part-time, it's a job. :shrug: I wouldn't recommend it as a career path but I wouldn't recommend a lot of poo poo as a career path, especially in the field of entertainment.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Saoshyant posted:

you can say the same poo poo about like "actor" and "artist" and those are still jobs. get with the times

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
a job doesn't have to be common to be a job. in fact there are a whole lot of jobs that most people will never realistically have a chance to have

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
there are people who are paid to spew racist hate speech and run the arcsys twitter page and someone is questioning the validity of streaming as a job?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Saoshyant posted:

I don't want to brag but one night I had 6 viewers watching me play Star Wars The Old Republic which was really impressive considering I was blackout drunk when I started playing, much less set up Twitch and interact with people.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Maybe I should rephrase.

“Get a job that isn’t reliant on the unlicensed use of intellectual property where at any second someone can decide to stop ignoring you and ruin you career”

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
anyone who can get money from working at home during a pandemic has a better job than a lot of other people right now no matter how much old people want to poo poo on them for it

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Gutcruncher posted:

Maybe I should rephrase.

“Get a job that isn’t reliant on the unlicensed use of intellectual property where at any second someone can decide to stop ignoring you and ruin you career”

I’m pretty sure they bought those games and should have every right to do whatever they want besides reproduce the game as a game and sell those copies. As they do not do that, merely record their own playing of the game, I see no reason for them to be beholden to ancient dinosaurs who think they lose money because people watch streamers play their game.

Especially when the opposite is true, it’s basically free advertisement. It’s very telling that even the most ridiculously draconian companies (Atlus comes to mind) don’t actually persecute because there is no point and they’d just be wasting their own time and money.

Also it is literally fair use to replicate video games for the purpose of criticism and commentary on it which is by and large what streaming is.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 19, 2020

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gutcruncher posted:

Maybe I should rephrase.

Get a job that isnt reliant on the unlicensed use of intellectual property where at any second someone can decide to stop ignoring you and ruin you career

The secret about capitalism is that at any second someone can ruin your career for little to no reason, teehee.

It's just kinda weird because there are people making a living producing transformative content for decades now and we still get the whole "oh this is gonna fail get a real job touching computer like me" thing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

I’m pretty sure they bought those games and should have every right to do whatever they want besides reproduce the game as a game and sell those copies. As they do not do that, merely record their own playing of the game, I see no reason for them to be beholden to ancient dinosaurs who think they lose money because people watch streamers play their game.

Especially when the opposite is true, it’s basically free advertisement. It’s very telling that even the most ridiculously draconian companies (Atlus comes to mind) don’t actually persecute because there is no point and they’d just be wasting their own time and money.

I mean you can say all that but at the end of the day those ancient dinosaurs are still fully capable of pulling the plug regardless of their reasoning being idiotic, and at present many of them appear entirely willing to do so. It would be extremely stupid of them to do so, but nobody ever accused CEOs or boards of being smart.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 19, 2020

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Lord_Magmar posted:

I agree but those ancient dinosaurs own the rights can call the shots and anyone who is surprised and suddenly poor when the dinosaur calls them on it is dumb.

Dias posted:

It's just kinda weird because there are people making a living producing transformative content for decades now and we still get the whole "oh this is gonna fail get a real job touching computer like me" thing.

To be fair while I don’t think games are QUITE the same, “playing through videogame beginning to end while talking” sounds an awful lot like “robots watch movie beginning to end while talking” and those robots legally had to get licenses or use public domain film. It’s not a huge leap for a rights holder to see them as being the exact same.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 19, 2020

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Streaming isn't a real job, capitalists could ruin it at any time. They should get a real job, like me touching computers at Enron.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

chumbler posted:

I mean you can say all that but at the end of the day those ancient dinosaurs are still fully capable of pulling the plug regardless of their reasoning being idiotic.

Oh absolutely, which is why a lot of the small to mid tier streamers focus on independent games and the such, who do understand the value of literally free advertisement. So do the triple A companies for that matter seeing as they often provide big name streamers with press copies of their games.

I’m not gonna sit here and say that streaming is safe, but don’t act like it’s some absurd flash in the pan that is not a real job. Especially when you get stuff like Woolievs who spends literal hours working on his tech and making sure his streams go well.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gutcruncher posted:

I agree but those ancient dinosaurs own the rights can call the shots and anyone who is surprised and suddenly poor when the dinosaur calls them on it is dumb.

I mean, the issue here isn't so much Nintendo or Atlus being silly about streaming because they're presided by old Japanese dudes that don't get Internet, it's terrible automatization and a platform that benefits from streaming doing nothing because gently caress it, blame it on the DMCA and we're making money anyway.

It's just regular exploitation.

edit: like, most companies nowadays are pretty okay with streamers doing their thing, of course poo poo can change but that's been mostly "solved". Streamers are willing to play according to guidelines, like with Persona 5, as dumb as they might be. The issue with DMCA is usually takedowns completely unrelated to company action or even companies themselves.

Dias fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 19, 2020

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
if dsp can own two houses doing nothing but streaming video games and defrauding the irs anybody can make a living from video games

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

remember when leffen said that working minimum wage at mcdonalds is better than streaming smash ultimate

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Smoking Crow posted:

remember when leffen said that working minimum wage at mcdonalds is better than streaming smash ultimate

Leffen sucks, yet somehow he's one of the better people in the Smash scene apparently.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

it sucks that big streamers sometimes have to play popular games they hate for long periods of time at peak hours with no breaks because even slight breaks lowers CPM

streaming isn't as glamorous as it seems kids

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 19, 2020

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

leffen is cool but he says some real dumb things that are fun to make fun of. im grateful for him

night slime
May 14, 2014
I like the family resemblance of inflicting unintelligible DMCA threats to arbitrarily having to pee in the Amazon truck. Demon Overlord Bezos is smiling at his newly chaotic work structure

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
deep leffen bot is very good

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Dias posted:

I mean, if you make a living doing it, even part-time, it's a job. :shrug: I wouldn't recommend it as a career path but I wouldn't recommend a lot of poo poo as a career path, especially in the field of entertainment.

Unfortunately we live in the gig economy where "real" jobs don't exist. In that light I can't fault anyone just going for gold.

edit: And yes people kinda collectively forget the sheer shittiness of entry-level actor/entertainer as a job.

mycot fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 19, 2020

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I was playing SFV online today and i ran into a Ryu who was basically. . . A total spazz? He was throwing out every move constantly, like never not hitting some button. He even pulled off multiple special moves. He had no logic at all, it didn't seem like he was messing with me on purpose. Did i find some sort of bot or was it someone's little cousin going hog wild on a controller?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Sounds like SFV to me

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I was playing SFV online today and i ran into a Ryu who was basically. . . A total spazz? He was throwing out every move constantly, like never not hitting some button. He even pulled off multiple special moves. He had no logic at all, it didn't seem like he was messing with me on purpose. Did i find some sort of bot or was it someone's little cousin going hog wild on a controller?

You have run into one of these beautiful creatures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkU4MfZRWSM

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

motherfucker is the aryton senna of guilty gear

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Borrowed Ladder posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfEVcZ3anG0

HE HAS RETURNED

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Welcome to online. Hit him with some frame traps/oki because he is probably going to mash right into them. Or just sit there until he does something risky you can punish

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
"mash out the dp you want to see in the world"

-ghandi

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i love the ghandi match so much

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Having no context for this I'm picturing Civilization

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009