Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/ashhpotato/status/1328950265001684996?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

we built a robot and gave it anxiety

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Splicer posted:

Cross platform gaming

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Farm Frenzy posted:

we built a robot and gave it anxiety

We built a robot and gave it anxiety

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“When you make the switch but your wife isn’t ready. (Pun intended)”

:sever:

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
stay safe scholar of Almaty

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
if someone were to prod one of those little indentations on the bottom front really hard it might do an oopsie, requiring someone to fly out to the restaurant to investigate what was wrong with it :(

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
robots are automatically scabs

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

i hate how people are more willing to humanize machines than other humans

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

at least we know what peanut likes

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

They have a camera and remote human operator, then. So much tech is just facilitating creepshots.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Ruffian Price posted:

They have a camera and remote human operator, then. So much tech is just facilitating creepshots.
while they normally run autonomously, a lot of public space robot companies have remote support so that employees at the end user site do not need to reset things or troubleshoot so yes, absolutely

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

i think of demons posted:

while they normally run autonomously, a lot of public space robot companies have remote support so that employees at the end user site do not need to reset things or troubleshoot so yes, absolutely

which makes me wonder what happens if they lose network connectivity what are they do then?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Platystemon posted:

“When you make the switch but your wife isn’t ready. (Pun intended)”

:sever:

i have a smart light thats connected to a motion sensor but the light switch has to stay on

so i dont accidentally flip it off the solution is to put a cover over it

the only light switch covers ive found are designed to prevent you from accidentally flipping a lightswitch on Shabbos

love to combine obedience to my tech overlords and HaShem at the same time

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Zil posted:

which makes me wonder what happens if they lose network connectivity what are they do then?
some can't function without wifi, since important processes are performed on a server and will just go idle. others are fully self-contained, but might have software that allows for coordination between robots or remote support

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

eSports Chaebol posted:

so i dont accidentally flip it off the solution is to put a cover over it

the only light switch covers ive found are designed to prevent you from accidentally flipping a lightswitch on Shabbos

They’re also made for child‐proofing.

This design is nice for those who have access to a 3D printer.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Zil posted:

Like demons said, depends on the robot. None of these are running 100% autonomous, there's still some employee or other whose problem it can become. worst comes to it the company sends someone out after a few rounds of "please reset your router" tech support.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Zil posted:

If they’re like me, stare blankly ahead until they run out of battery.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1329206502414958593

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

At least Trump's idiotic drama was entertaining. The next four years are going to be some boring, dispiriting poo poo.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this is great

if only our leadership was willing to spend $TOKYO3 to solve existential problems

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

i think of demons posted:

some can't function without wifi, since important processes are performed on a server and will just go idle. others are fully self-contained, but might have software that allows for coordination between robots or remote support

Ah that's no fun.

I wanted it to freak out or something and damage itself like that one security robot that threw itself into a fountain.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
https://twitter.com/Direthoughts/status/1329840381748514816

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Here's a dystopia thing I've been thinking about. A retail worker at a store nearby me was laid off because they were putting in more self checkouts. This was going to leave him homeless. He held the managers and store manager hostage in the back for a while before shooting himself.

I wonder if increasing automation will end up in more and more cases like this

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Here's a dystopia thing I've been thinking about. A retail worker at a store nearby me was laid off because they were putting in more self checkouts. This was going to leave him homeless. He held the managers and store manager hostage in the back for a while before shooting himself.

I wonder if increasing automation will end up in more and more cases like this

my grocer recently installed self-checkout machine but they're confIgured so poorly i can only assume sabotage by the clerks

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Oneiros posted:

my grocer recently installed self-checkout machine but they're confIgured so poorly i can only assume sabotage by the clerks

The companies run the numbers and even with tons of theft and miss scans its cheaper to use self checks than cashiers in any place that's not super impoverished already

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The companies run the numbers and even with tons of theft and miss scans its cheaper to use self checks than cashiers in any place that's not super impoverished already

by "configured poorly" i mean they're super anal about every little thing (oh, you picked up two lemons to scan instead of moving each individually? i'm just gonna lock down entirely and call a clerk you degenerate!) and basically impossible to use unless you're buying a a single gallon of milk. you can't even set your bag down without someone having to come clear it.

so basically they've got half a dozen fancy new self-checkout machines that hardly anyone uses and the same number of clerks :shrug:

Oneiros has issued a correction as of 04:44 on Nov 21, 2020

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Yeah that happens, but at least at my store they can have 1 clerk madly running around addressing the issues of 4 self-check kiosks, so they probably still come out ahead. I'm sure banana sales are way up too!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

palindrome posted:

Yeah that happens, but at least at my store they can have 1 clerk madly running around addressing the issues of 4 self-check kiosks, so they probably still come out ahead. I'm sure banana sales are way up too!
Everything is 4011

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

That’s funny because somewhere awhile ago I read about companies ripping them back out because people hate using them so much they complain or go to competitors in noticeable numbers. Though with COVID, the calculus for self checkout inconvenience has changed and maybe they’re seen as a value add now.

E: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canadian-tire-self-checkout-cashiers-automation-1.5011981

Though that may have been more of a human interest story than I remembered.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/self-checkout-cashiers-retail-jobs-technology-1.5020299

doingitwrong has issued a correction as of 05:07 on Nov 21, 2020

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

doingitwrong posted:

That’s funny because somewhere awhile ago I read about companies ripping them back out because people hate using them so much they complain or go to competitors in noticeable numbers. Though with COVID, the calculus for self checkout inconvenience has changed and maybe they’re seen as a value add now.

Depends on where but I tend to believe Walmart has the most up to date numbers and we keep adding more self checks

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Depends on where but I tend to believe Walmart has the most up to date numbers and we keep adding more self checks

people who shop at walmart tend to not have any other option

tho i suspect the customers who get really mad at self-checkout machines really just want a cashier/bagger to abuse. hoo boy people get really loving upset when they have to bag their own groceries

Oneiros has issued a correction as of 05:09 on Nov 21, 2020

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

The super bougie Whole Foods-alike had several self-checkout lines, but they actually pulled them out right before Covid, probably because people are annoyed by them! Or maybe 4011 is even more devastating at places where ground hamburger starts at $7.99/lb. Or it could be because the grocers there are unionized, although that didn't stop the self-checkouts in the first place. Grocery chat is so interesting since everybody does it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

People go to walmart because it's the cheapest, not because it is a remotely pleasant shopping experience. The people who would hate self-checkouts enough to change their shopping behavior are already shopping somewhere else.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Oneiros posted:

people who shop at walmart tend to not have any other option

tho i suspect the customers who get really mad at self-checkout machines really just want a cashier/bagger to abuse. hoo boy people get really loving upset when they have to bag their own groceries

Yeah but Walmart is literally expanding into every aspect of shopping, online, etc. Lots of people have no other option now.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Speaking broadly, those things must be heaven to any grey-hat hackers out there. Out of date software, poor security, easy enough to go in a 1am or slip the minder a fiver. Be a shame if they got hosed with on a programatic level as well as the ol' cartful of "bananas" trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Oneiros posted:

i suspect the customers who get really mad at self-checkout machines really just want a cashier/bagger to abuse. hoo boy people get really loving upset when they have to bag their own groceries

also anyone who uses physical coupons that aren't just a sheet of QR/barcodes they printed out for themselves