Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Whelp, good to know that we are definitely a tiny fish in a big, BIG pond, and that Red and Blue could probably have snapped us like a twig if either one wanted to. Also good to know that we can pay more HP than we currently have, and that death happens when we pass our current max HP value in the negatives. Also, now I see why Red and Blue are travelling together if dancing can have effects like that.

Does anyone else feel like we're Ralph Wiggum sitting in the bus laughing and saying "I'm in danger!" right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Blue Book posted:

Hit Points can feel deceptive. You only risk passing out once you hit 0 HP. You risked death when you hit the negative value of your current HP; -10 if your max HP is 10. Then it forces a HT roll to see if you remain alive. If you do, you only have to make another Death Check at the next multiple of negative HP; -20, -30, -40, all the way until you reach -5xHP at which point you instantly die, having taken too much damage for any body to withstand. Most HP-using abilities will either allow you to spend down to 0 HP, or down to -HP. Some will let you spend every last drop of blood you have down to a single point of damage away from instant death...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

In my defense... okay, I was thinking it was -10=death (ala 3rd ed D&D) and I may have sort of glossed over the HP section of the tutorial. Also, I wasn't sure if our Tyrant skills would let us pay past 0HP, so if nothing else, we now know that we can "safely" pay until we hit -18 HP. Let's just hope that never comes up outside of times like this.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

No need to defend yourself. It wasn't made explicit until you wondered about it just now. You are a new player, after all.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Hoooooboy. OK. Important to note: Paradisio doesn't make spending to -18 safe. All failures become critical failures. It looks like we're rolling on 15, and the chance of rolling 16-18 on 3d6 (and thereby getting a critical failure) is (1+3+6)/6^3 ~ 4.6%. I don't want to see the results of a critical failure on darkness when we've fueled it with our entire life force, but 4.6% is a low-risk chance. A critical failure with a high-powered spell from Red will probably do horrible things as well.

Also, flower of ruin also sounds like it'll take seven rounds to fully pay off, which is time we don't have. So I think that's an unequivocally bad idea.

I see two sensible paths forward here, given that we need to end it quickly - probably within the next round or two. Path one involves making full use of paradisio to finish this early, because that buff is absurdly broken. So we use darkness, red pumps a dangerous amount of energy into a spell, and Blue uses a random technique (because her techniques all sound pretty drat good and this will likely be a buff). Path two is to GIVE 'IM THE OL' TRIPLE-TECH. The risk with path one is that we get a failure, which becomes a critical failure. The risk with path two is that the spider starts seeing us as a threat and focusing on us.

Right now, I'm leaning towards path one this round, followed by THE OL' TRIPLE-TECH next round.

Oh, and continuing the re-read, this:

pumpinglemma posted:

And Blue doesn't seem to be hurt by dancing, so I don't think she's Dancer either.
is inaccurate bullshit:

Blue's initial description posted:

The one acting like she was the elephant who saw the mouse caught your attention first, if only for the visual riot she presented. She was petite. Humanish... but had numerous subtle differences that marked her as something sylvan. She wore a cabaret star's outfit and makeup, rainbow lingerie and midnight accents, all of it dirty and ragged. Her head bore a pitch-black top hat. Her exposed skin had strange marks on it, ones you recognized from medical knowledge - she bore the burns of radiance. No shoes - her feet were extremely scarred, so much so that you wondered how she moved so easily. Her joymad eyes continued to stare, as she shook and bothered the one she clung to.
She could actually be Dancer, and Red could be Dancer's Liaison with Burner (Flame Joker?). Or maybe she's "just" a high-ranking dancer cultist or Backup.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Oh I am so massively outvoted on that one. :)

But important: I would now recommend everyone else votes for triple-tech! Currently our action is quite close between triple-tech and darkness, and I think all three people will need to decide on triple-tech in order for it to work.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I didn't even read the other options, triple tech is life.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

King of Bleh posted:

I didn't even read the other options, triple tech is life.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

pumpinglemma posted:

Also, flower of ruin also sounds like it'll take seven rounds to fully pay off, which is time we don't have. So I think that's an unequivocally bad idea.

i read it as the FoR gets seven uses and reckoned we could burn one in the interests of not getting a perma debuff

also i just really wanna see what it does

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
The worst part of this LP is not being able to see what all the options do, these techs sound neat.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I went with the Triple Tech out of the three first options, then just rolled with it on the other two. Though I will admit I was kinda tempted to make Blue do the Triple Tech, then have us and Red do literally anything else to see what would happen. Though, you know, just not when it may literally be the matter of life and death.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Razakai posted:

The worst part of this LP is not being able to see what all the options do, these techs sound neat.

Also the best part.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I think there are hints buried in the text for some of them. For example, Wish I Might:

Black August posted:

Hers, of course, was blue. She plonks it on without fanfare, her cap still sticking out. "Black Crows, so you get the Hristan hat. Let it do a look your soulthink-" she taps her head, and then makes a popping noise with flared hands "-we get EINHERJARS!!"

While she jogs in place to hype up, Blue tells Red "Never did try to wish to be a Valkyrie."
And it very much fits that Blue should have Wish I Might:
And I'd swear we had a loading screen hint for Diamantébrand as well that I found on rereading, something linking it to one of the cults, but I can't find it a second time. :(

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Also, while I'm theoryposting, I think it's fairly clear that the Einherjars we summoned each represented an aspect of our soul. We had Proto for the darkness, a pitch-black sphere that tells us to shut up while it does what's best for us. We had Psydog for the silver, a psychic buddy that calms us down and helps us maintain control of ourselves. And we had [FOWL] for... probably Kwiat, given its shape and given our reaction to its death. But it was also glitchy as hell. Is there a connection between Kwiat and the glitches?

Also, what do Blue's Einherjars tell us about her character? Betcha the roulette wheel is pretty self-explanatory, trust in luck is clearly a major part of her. And the music box with a red nuclear core is probably her tie to Red. But... what about Lenglegs the silly dancing spider that acts of its own volition and does horrifying, awful things?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm happy to clarify that last question with the context you have now, Camper! The Camp is generous enough to provide its (ONE) mandatory and signature Einherjar to every Counselor for the purpose of the Pocket Einherjars activity!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I was going to say, Lenglegs is definitely the influence of the camp. Since, y'know, spiders of Leng and all.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

That's a... relief? Sure, let's go with that.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

dang, this game is so good - love the little details and people figuring stuff out like that.

thanks for running this Black August, you rock!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

That's a... relief? Sure, let's go with that.

It makes sense that the camp would have some way of putting its thumb on the scale, even if it's just to cancel out that the "councillors" may want the "camper" to win and stop them from throwing the entire game.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

pumpinglemma posted:

Also, while I'm theoryposting, I think it's fairly clear that the Einherjars we summoned each represented an aspect of our soul. We had Proto for the darkness, a pitch-black sphere that tells us to shut up while it does what's best for us. We had Psydog for the silver, a psychic buddy that calms us down and helps us maintain control of ourselves. And we had [FOWL] for... probably Kwiat, given its shape and given our reaction to its death. But it was also glitchy as hell. Is there a connection between Kwiat and the glitches?

Our background is some weird glitched hybrid between psychic and chirurgeon due to the tie vote during creation, so we have "glitch nature" in our soul, that's what [fowl] probably represents.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

pumpinglemma posted:

And I'd swear we had a loading screen hint for Diamantébrand as well that I found on rereading, something linking it to one of the cults, but I can't find it a second time. :(

beyond it being a glitched-in attack from one of the Backup (iirc)?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

beyond it being a glitched-in attack from one of the Backup (iirc)?
Yes - I thought I remembered seeing something with seven powers, one for each of the Lords, and I remember being surprised because it mentioned Diamenté and it came before the glitched-in attack. But I can't seem to find it a second time.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

pumpinglemma posted:

Yes - I thought I remembered seeing something with seven powers, one for each of the Lords, and I remember being surprised because it mentioned Diamenté and it came before the glitched-in attack. But I can't seem to find it a second time.

that sounds a bit like the freedoms given each cult, maybe conflated with something else?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

!!!TRIPLE-TECH-TIME!!!

You can feel it - the mushrooms in your brain are reacting to the flashing colors of the land, stimulating them into blossoming. It doesn't flood your mind like the last times, stopped by the heat of adrenaline drenching you. But it eases you further into the flow of the dreamstate, keeping you loose and light. There was a rhythm to everyone's actions, a flow you could feel, and if you timed it right you could all act together and shut the Spider up before it could hiss a syllable more. It was a risk. But even without the reward- someone in you just wanted to be a good Camper for your Counselors. Black Crows win as a team.

The Silver Mind posted:

Not that! We're already haflway between the waking world and the Dreamlands, and w ▴

(Starlight Serenade~) 30 - [3]+[4]+[5] = 12 - Success!
(!Dryad) 20 - [5]+[2]+[2] = 9 - Success!!
(![you know, when they said 'Idol', I knew that word and I hoped it meant I was going to- that they would let me sing? that was what I was hoping for]) 10 - [1]+[3]+[4] = 8 - Success!!!

You're singing. You don't know why. You think you like to do it when you're happy.
Are you happy? Yeah.
Blue was having a grand old time.
You know, her mind was so open bright, you could tell she hasn't been this happy in a long time either. Just dumb old fun, nobody had to die. You got each other's backs.
Red was being more her old self, and Blue just loved that. When was there ever the chance to be like this anymore? After everything that had happened?
Blue was singing. She wasn't supposed to, but- she couldn't help it.
Red couldn't sing.
But she could hum with the solar tones.

There's no song. No words or melody. Just three harmonies that resonated through the ultrablack lands. The colors shifted- no more rainbow, but a brilliant gold that rose with the pitch of your voice.

Starlight, Sunlight, Moonlight.

Dreams coming true.

Drowning out the Spider's Naming.

Dissolving it into the Dreamlands in banishment, this land was finally clean-

Spider didn't resist. It let go of its cold web, and watched it snap to pieces. It would be sated here no more. It sunk into the soft liquid midnight with hateful eyes all upon you, knowing now the mistake it had made too late to save itself.

Fat dumb old spider. Go die alone. Sit down beside me no more.

Boss Fight Log! posted:

Spider of Leng was permanently banished!

You raise a red fist to an empty Heaven.
Victory.

The loudspeaker- did you hear music? What was happening? You're weakening by the second after you exhale; how long was that note held? Above was a sky of Ultimate Bluefull of glittering stars, and the land's harmonics swallowed the trees and cabins with a tide of golden gravity. Red and Blue hold hands, and look over to you.

You walk to them, and the radio, Mr. West's voice in it, in the loudpseaker; what was he saying? God bless, God bless. Your skull was starting to melt through your skin, Mr. West. Godspeed, Godspeed. You salute, and throw out your hands to join Red and Blue in trinity.

We Mighty Three!

You smile with sincerity. Blue can see it reach your eyes! Red faces you, having shrugged her robe back on in the lull. She still wears her shorts and camp shirt beneath it. The good sneakers, too. She casts a dark blanket over you, the same from the cabin lobby rest. It was clasped together to be a shroud now, and had runes on it! It was warm and kept you feeling hidden. It wasn't as good as the helmet felt, but you'd get back to that.

[Gifted Lesser Artifact: Sunset Shroud]

Red wanted to thank you.
You saved her.
You didn't let her die.

Blue had to thank you too, as she rests to one knee and pats your shoulder, looking like a baseball superstar about to warn you of the dangers of doing too much ketamine. But high as she flew, she still meant it when she said to you "Kiddo. Listen. This is a big debt, right? This means something magic to me. I want to give you something, but it- it. It works on trust, right? I wanna trust you. By asking you a promise. I- thing is-"

Red puts a hand on her shoulder. Blue gets out "I got a lot of fam out in the dark, yeah? All aroun' over. They're a big deal to me! They... don't take the best care of 'emselves. You feel that? They try, they do, but it's rough and ain't many drugs and, listen, listen I just need to ask you to please please take me serious. I want to ask you. I want to give you something REAL special, but, but I want to ask you first please, please, to make a promise to me. About my fam. I know- they wild, yeah? I just want to you to know. Whatever you doin', you're TOUGH STUFF and I got respect. I got love. But please. My fam, I know they're natters. But."

Her mania crests with that starlit hue. Her face was black and eyeshadow blue. What are these eyes...?

"Promise me."

She shakes your hand. Clasps it prayer a little too tight. Her lips drawn and eyes drilling up into yours.

"PROMISE ME"

"You won't kill any of them."

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Well. I don't see a way to keep this promise and fulfill our task at the same time.
The letter, and spirit, of our task to kill the seven was rather clear.
Not to say that we shouldn't make the promise, we would have a fair bit of time left to live and see the world before we get gibbed if that's what we want.
Who knows? Maybe making the promise is key to another route where the seven (or some of them anyways) come to their senses?
:shrug:
No vote for the time being.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Your choice or abstain can be made until midnight.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Black August posted:

...player of the username 'Airbeans' showed a screenshot of being able to promise Dancer that...
Blue is Dancer. Repeat. Blue is Dancer. This is not a drill.

And given that... I’m OK with promising not to hurt her family.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

We're already breaking this game pretty thoroughly. Why not see where this goes? Besides, Blue is one of the few people we've met to whom we authentically owe loyalty.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Would prefer an option to politely decline. But given the options I have to sincerely say yes.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

You-

The Tyrant Objects.

But you want to-

The Tyrant Objects.

No you WANT TO.

The Tyrant Objects.

Look at her eyes.

The Tyrant Objects.

LOOK AT THEM!

The Tyrant Objects.

You-

The Tyrant Objects.

I.

The Tyrant Objects.

I. WILL.

The Tyrant knows you're a liar you're lying there was a SINGLE LIE-

"Í̛͘ ̛p̧͠r̀͢om̢͞i̢s͟e̵͢͢.͏."

She was smiling.

Promise posted:

Blue has put her Absolute Faith in you.

(Was there a storm outside? Was there a another one begging for your help at the table? Do you hear bells?)

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
We will find another way! Even if we have to make it.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Well. The near solidarity was actually rather impressive.
If we're serious about this, we ought return the favor: We're going to need help to get out of our previous situation, and I don't think our former boss is going to take this lightly.
We should consider confiding with them, though I think they already know.

Things aren't right in the world, our encounter with Jandou Joe can testify that.
Talking it out with these two might help get across that things could improve, somewhat?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I think theoretically, killing Blue/Dancer herself and sparing all her followers is within the letter of the promise we just made.

...But I'd rather we didn't, since Blue has been a solid bro and the grim reaper lady was largely an rear end in a top hat to us.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

There is something fucky with last actual -fighting- update on Lang spider.

quote:

Boss Fight Log! posted:

Your body was alight with the Paradisical power of the land, mind still in a dreaming high off of blood loss, medical drugs, and the pain of your cauterization. Your magic was so strong. Your midnight was calling.

(!Darkness) 14 - [3]+[3]+[3] = 9 - Success!

You could... put everything into this. EVERYTHING. Right to the very edge of death. Your blood begins to boil, but it isn't consumed- red light bleeds out of you instead, powering the sorcery as you command it to HURT this thing. Break it! MAKE IT PAY!

21 HP spent!
HP: [ -18 / 18 ] [COURTING DEATH]
HP paid back immediately!
HP: [ 3 / 18 ]

Where is the damage? Did we just spend HP to spend HP on that one action? it's a success and the second use DID do damage...

quote:

Boss Fight Log! posted:

Spider of Leng invokes the D͠ŗe̛a͝d C̷u̡rse͠ o͜f̷ th̢e̷ Go͜d͢.

(THE FIRST SYLLABLE) 10 - [2]+[2]+[2] = 10 - SUCCESS.

Will has been reduced by 4!
The success is correct, but usually in place of that 10 would be the roll result (6 in this case), as seen above.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Also i'm unclear, did we promise not to kill any dancers or not kill any lords? It's a bit ambiguous depending on who you think Blue is, and what she considers "fam"

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I’m pretty sure we promised not to kill any of the Backup, Dancer’s cult. The reference to wildness (like Blue), the reference to the drugs (like Blue), the reference to there being a lot of them (so many there’s not enough drugs to go round so probably more than six), the implication that they can’t take care of themselves well, and the fact that Red is probably a Liaison to Burner’s cult and shows no sign of drugs or wildness all pointed in that direction for me.

I also get the feeling that Blue’s emphasis on her family, rather than on her, means she has an idea what our mission is and knows we might end up fighting her one day. I think she left herself out of that promise intentionally. :( But if I’m wrong, I’m still OK with having to find a way out that doesn’t involve murder.

Also, I found the clue about Diamente, and one about Flower of Ruin and one about Blue as well!

Black August posted:

"...in Jandoubi, some of the most dangerous Backup you can fight with any build includes Big Bad, Sueynami, and Diamanté. Big Bad is a physical powerhouse tough enough to take on Berserkers and Chirurgeons. Sueynami has the Irukandji Lash and its unique status effect to be afraid of. Diamanté is simply TOUGH, since his diamond nature gives him impeccable resistances and DR..."

"...than anything, Dancer HATES the loss of any Backup, immediately resorting to Mania if she finds out that..."

"...her seven forms, given by the 'Flower of Ruin'. They include the armaments named 'Thus Spak Demogorgon', 'Eye of the Sun', 'Dragoncrusher', "Moloch Buster', 'Fire Root', 'Her Love & Her Hate', and 'Jet Sword'.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
hopefully her faith in us will be efficacious as a means of disarming conflict with the Backup

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Regallion posted:

There is something fucky with last actual -fighting- update on Lang spider.

Where is the damage? Did we just spend HP to spend HP on that one action? it's a success and the second use DID do damage...

The success is correct, but usually in place of that 10 would be the roll result (6 in this case), as seen above.

lol that's a typo

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The enchanted lands begin to destabilize with the end of the song and dance, the ferrous fluid vibrations so strong that it laps at your legs. Blue holds your hand, pressing something into your palm that sears it with a sparkling sting.

"There you go, honey. Promise and promised. It ain't two tickets, but it IS one backstage pass to Paradise! Your all-day passplay never-goes-away. You flash this, and you'll show CRED with my fam. You're honorary! That's what bein' the #1 Camper gets you."

Your palm has a scintillating gemscar, in the shape of a holy seal. Blue comforts you again and says "There's one thing I really gotta tell you 'fore I forget, too. I heard you singing. You? Got one'a'the loveliest singing voices I ever heard. Be proud!"

Revelation! posted:

You've been helped to realize you were born with the Perk 'Voice [Singing Only]'.

You exhale, and smile. You- you really did it! You survived, and made new friends! You...

ANXIETY: [ _ ]

Oh God, you can relax. The tension was gone. You were numb, sore, tired, bloodied, and beaten. But you were relaxed! It was fin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003