Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Poil posted:

Er... if you shield an ecumenopolis or other planet with no farming districts, planets without sufficient consumer goods, planets who does not have enough energy, minerals or rare resources you're murdering endless millions and collapsing their societies into barbarism. At least the purifier is instant. :v:

This, only the broom is neutron and the capitalists are (also) filthy xenos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Poil posted:

Er... if you shield an ecumenopolis or other planet with no farming districts, planets without sufficient consumer goods, planets who does not have enough energy, minerals or rare resources you're murdering endless millions and collapsing their societies into barbarism. At least the purifier is instant. :v:

You also smack up a research station in orbit to observe and study their inevitable decay into a post-apocalyptic hellhole! Pacifism! :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I'm always imagining that it takes a full year for the Shield-Colossus to warm up so my empire can transport the necessary goods and tools to keep my victims alive and well. :v:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Libluini posted:

I'm always imagining that it takes a full year for the Shield-Colossus to warm up so my empire can transport the necessary goods and tools to keep my victims alive and well. :v:

What, for eternity?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Gort posted:

What, for eternity?

That's right.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
All the inhabitants are eventually taken to a farming planet up galaxy

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I mean, the Shield Colossus doesn't make sense anyway, so why not?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's a Star Control 2 lift.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Poil posted:

Look, I need to study what happens to an interplanetary civilization that's suddenly reduced to one planet, forever. It's very pacifistic and it's not my fault if the people on Utopia didn't have a backup plan for what they'd do if they were suddenly cut off from outside aid.

Leal posted:

All the inhabitants are eventually taken to a farming planet up galaxy

This is extremely canon, the dozens of shielded planets are full of happy people living their best lives.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Relevant Tangent posted:

Look, I need to study what happens to an interplanetary civilization that's suddenly reduced to one planet, forever. It's very pacifistic and it's not my fault if the people on Utopia didn't have a backup plan for what they'd do if they were suddenly cut off from outside aid.

Not much of an Utopia anyway if their utopia falls apart because one cargo ship doesn't make their delivery on time.

Or five thousand. :v:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Isn't there a shielded world where it implies time moved differently for the inhabitant?

Or was it just that shielded world?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

HelloSailorSign posted:

Isn't there a shielded world where it implies time moved differently for the inhabitant?

Or was it just that shielded world?

I think it's just that shielded world. There's another one part of a digsite I think. As well as a third type in fallen empires?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
90% evade. :v:
"How the gently caress did you miss a planet?"
"I donno, sir!"
"No but how the gently caress did you MISS A PLANET!?"

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Shielded world's aren't a death sentence though, the locals just raze a few mines and build farms instead. I mean, earth is still a closed ecosystem and we're not all dead (yet).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Depends what comes through the shield though. If it blocks sunlight, RIP us.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I installed 3 mods that have VASTLY improved late-game performance and general bad vibes.

-Carrying capacity, often recommended here, really helps with over-population, specially for the AI who has no idea how to deal with it.
-"Habitat AI colonisation fix" which, you guessed it, makes the AI actually colonize their habs rather than endlessly spam them on every possible body in their entire empire without colonizing.
-"Habitat Cap" which caps the number of habitats anyone can even build based on the number of star systems you have. Its not totally ideal though, I wish it used starbase capacity or something.

I accidentally turned off habitat cap, and along with the colonization fix suddenly all the AI's went from having 200-300 pops to 1000+ pops as they went back to spamming habitats, but actually colonizing them too. A few under-performing AI's suddenly jumped in power too as their population and economy skyrocketed due to the filled up functional habs throughout their empire. Like lovely little empires with only 3-4 planets suddenly had a good dozen habs to settle. It was neat to see!

Still don't know what to think of habitats. Early in the game design of Stellaris something Wiz said was that they wanted to make planets special, they didn't want a game where you could, with enough tech, colonize everything. That leads to management and population bloat. Habitats are really cool, sometimes when i get boxed in with only a few planets they can let me go from last place to mid-place by the mid-game through a focused strategy of hab development, but it's way too easy to spam them. The AI is so bad at managing or understanding its economy it just spams them too. You'll see AI barely able to build ships because all their alloys are going to hab upkeep.

I wish there was a way to make habitats a valid strategy for going "tall" if forced into it, but with costs and downsides to make them not worth "spamming". When they were locked behind ascensions that sort of worked, now picking the ascension just makes them better.

If they used the same cap as starbases I think that would be cool. A big wide empire is going to have a lot of starbases for defense and such so hab-spam won't be an attractive option, but a small and tall empire would have the starbase capacity to spare.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
As was mentioned, it's a pretty direct StarControl 2 reference, in which the opening moments of the game has the player breaking Earth out of the shield it's been under for ~50 years.

It's a shame Colossi are such slow sacks of nothing. As much as people hate superweapons, I'd have preferred if they fired interstellar shots or otherwise warranted a panic.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

They should set enemy war exhaustion at 100%. Actually be worth blowing up a planet.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Woah I didn't know about that shielding planets mechanic. I like space optimism and typically play fairly friendly, but I'm definitely playing as the Ur-Quan next game.

edit: There isn't really any ways to cow empires into submission is there? Like if I want to vassalize an empire that's too far away to just demand it then I absolutely have to occupy all of their systems and probably most of their planets right? The whole point of terror weapons should be to make empires surrender once their fleets are destroyed.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 18, 2020

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Baronjutter posted:

I installed 3 mods that have VASTLY improved late-game performance and general bad vibes.

-Carrying capacity, often recommended here, really helps with over-population, specially for the AI who has no idea how to deal with it.
-"Habitat AI colonisation fix" which, you guessed it, makes the AI actually colonize their habs rather than endlessly spam them on every possible body in their entire empire without colonizing.
-"Habitat Cap" which caps the number of habitats anyone can even build based on the number of star systems you have. Its not totally ideal though, I wish it used starbase capacity or something.

I accidentally turned off habitat cap, and along with the colonization fix suddenly all the AI's went from having 200-300 pops to 1000+ pops as they went back to spamming habitats, but actually colonizing them too. A few under-performing AI's suddenly jumped in power too as their population and economy skyrocketed due to the filled up functional habs throughout their empire. Like lovely little empires with only 3-4 planets suddenly had a good dozen habs to settle. It was neat to see!

Still don't know what to think of habitats. Early in the game design of Stellaris something Wiz said was that they wanted to make planets special, they didn't want a game where you could, with enough tech, colonize everything. That leads to management and population bloat. Habitats are really cool, sometimes when i get boxed in with only a few planets they can let me go from last place to mid-place by the mid-game through a focused strategy of hab development, but it's way too easy to spam them. The AI is so bad at managing or understanding its economy it just spams them too. You'll see AI barely able to build ships because all their alloys are going to hab upkeep.

I wish there was a way to make habitats a valid strategy for going "tall" if forced into it, but with costs and downsides to make them not worth "spamming". When they were locked behind ascensions that sort of worked, now picking the ascension just makes them better.

If they used the same cap as starbases I think that would be cool. A big wide empire is going to have a lot of starbases for defense and such so hab-spam won't be an attractive option, but a small and tall empire would have the starbase capacity to spare.

do these mods work on the new beta branch or are you running the last official patch?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I'm trying to aim for the Stellar Systemcraft (Gigastructural Engineering) and it says the first prerequisite is Esoteric Celestial Weaponization, but it's not listed in my ascension choices, selectable or unselectable. Is there a tech I need to research first?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

These are cool mods, have installed them myself. I did always hate that optimal play was to fill every system with a million habitats.

Thanks for the recommendation!

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly

Ak Gara posted:

I'm trying to aim for the Stellar Systemcraft (Gigastructural Engineering) and it says the first prerequisite is Esoteric Celestial Weaponization, but it's not listed in my ascension choices, selectable or unselectable. Is there a tech I need to research first?

I think Esoteric Celestial Weaponization is one of the many techs that Gigastructures adds, part of making Behemoth Planetcrafts. Gated behind the Gigastructural Engineering perk itself, I think?

You'll need Master Builders and Galactic Wonders perks, too. Plan carefully.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I don't know if a mod is responsible but there was an event where one of my planets found a device that creates edible "dust" in great quantities and got a nice boost from it. Well now a few years down the road the device is out of control and producing huge drifts of the dust and they can't shut it down! :haw:

EDIT: I just recovered a "maniac orb" that crashed onto a primitive world I was observing. It is definitely malevolent but I have an opportunity to negotiate with it. What's the worst thing that could happen?

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 18, 2020

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't know if a mod is responsible but there was an event where one of my planets found a device that creates edible "dust" in great quantities and got a nice boost from it. Well now a few years down the road the device is out of control and producing huge drifts of the dust and they can't shut it down! :haw:

That one is from a mod.

You can tell by the fact that it's an event that actually does something interesting :v:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

^I remember that event, it was from a mod? Which one?

That reminds me, I was thinking of picking up Distant Stars, is Megacorps worth getting too?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Ak Gara posted:

^I remember that event, it was from a mod? Which one?

That reminds me, I was thinking of picking up Distant Stars, is Megacorps worth getting too?

I'm not sure. Might be More Events.

Megacorps are... in a good place now. They're not THAT different from standard empires, but their unique mechanics are actually fun to use imo.

The real prize (iirc) are the Ecumenopolis worlds that you unlock with that dlc.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Megacorps are hilariously OP, that expansion is worth picking up.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I love making new civilizations in Stellaris, but it feels like the gameplay variety never matches the promise of the concept e.g "Fanatical Bird People Who Just Want To Love Everybody" doesn't play super differently from "Hive Mind of Geckos That Breeds A Lot". In each case I'll be colonizing a million planets and then abandoning the game when the chore of empire management overwhelms the joy of actually playing ...

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Necroids w/ their unique purge + nihilistic acquisition is p cool though

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Also, The Shroud chain is way more boring than an event chain called 'psychic ascension' ought to be

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

fashionly snort posted:

Also, The Shroud chain is way more boring than an event chain called 'psychic ascension' ought to be

You want the Decadence of Sanity (with the fix that's linked in the comments).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

You want the Decadence of Sanity (with the fix that's linked in the comments).

ooooooOoooOooooOOOoo cool. Thanks!

I also downloaded Alpha Mod ... is it uh good? Everything about Stellaris is good except for the details of the gameplay ... which feels like an insane thing to write but is also true; I’m hoping with enough mods the game will either be “fixed”, become unusable, or like become sentient or something

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is there a mod that makes conquest less tedious when you severely outgun them? Like either reduces/removes the "distance" penalty for demanding vassalage/subject/etc or massively increases the war weariness for losing big space battles or not having a navy at all or something. I really hate having to invade a bunch of planets.

It'd also be helpful if your own vassals/subjects were used to calculate distance instead of just your territory. I don't care vassals sucks there is no way I want to manage a bunch of new late game planets.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

fashionly snort posted:

ooooooOoooOooooOOOoo cool. Thanks!

I also downloaded Alpha Mod ... is it uh good? Everything about Stellaris is good except for the details of the gameplay ... which feels like an insane thing to write but is also true; I’m hoping with enough mods the game will either be “fixed”, become unusable, or like become sentient or something

I find that I had to make some changes to the globals even after having 100+ mods, since most mods add stuff rather than change the core gameplay.

It's not particularly balanced but for me I have all building slots unlocked from start and significantly faster building times, along with "carrying capacity" pop growth that's slightly sped up. Since population is the main thing which controls the speed of the game up until late midgame it helps cut down on the tedium significantly, especially with mods that add automation for building stations, upgrading outposts and improving sectors. You might want to make habitable planets more rare and tech more expensive to slow the tech race a bit again, but that depends on the desired gameplay speed.

YMMV if that's what bothers you but it was extremely easy to put together and improved my enjoyment immensely.

Also for 2.7.2 there's a CheatEngine table that lets you get achievements when modded; since unlike EUIV the achievements aren't especially challenging I find it makes the game more enjoyable for me as well.

As for content mods the main ones I have are alphamod, planetary diversity, gigastructural engineering, icmb (sp? the combat and shiptype mod), NSC (the other conbat and shiptype mod), some extra event mods, zenith of fallen empires, some extra tech mods (guilis components and ESC), starborn, one of the "traits depend on species class" mods, a large merged pack of tradition trees and some diplomacy mods (can't remember the name but extra vassalege types, better federations, that sort of thing)..

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 19, 2020

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I am so loving sick of this system showing up. Every damned game I play. If I could delete it from the game files, I would. :rant:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

prefect posted:

I am so loving sick of this system showing up. Every damned game I play. If I could delete it from the game files, I would. :rant:
<wherever>\Steam\steamapps\common\Stellaris\common\random_names\base\00_random_names.txt

it's in there, you can delete it with notepad and even add your own. It'll turn off achievements though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

prefect posted:

"It's funny because the bad president made a typo in a tweet" thought the computer programmer as the bodies piled up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Splicer posted:

<wherever>\Steam\steamapps\common\Stellaris\common\random_names\base\00_random_names.txt

it's in there, you can delete it with notepad and even add your own. It'll turn off achievements though.

Twelve more achievements to go. :sigh: