Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

pentyne posted:

Early days, don't want to forgot the long term. This is like congratulating Usain Bolt on his world record time when he's 10 m into a 100m race.

Look, North Dakota doesn't get Badlands National Park or Wall Drug, or even Mt. Rushmore, problematic though it may be. Let them have this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Look, North Dakota doesn't get Badlands National Park or Wall Drug, or even Mt. Rushmore, problematic though it may be. Let them have this

What, 8th shittiest covid death per population rate?

They aren't even good at being bad

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Cerebral Bore posted:

skeleton, but hole

since when has capitalism found plundering and assaulting people in the global periphery to be unlawful?

Ah but there's the sinister ruse of capitalism, in which while there is established decorum, hierarchy, and laws, these are totally arbitrary and will be subverted as soon as its inconvenient to whomever is running the show. In the framework of the dnd alignment chart this would be considered 'chaotic' behavior

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

showbiz_liz posted:

When I was 12 and so hadn't gone through puberty, I (a cis woman) cut my hair really short on a whim, and that same day two people in a row called me "young man" and I burst into tears and ran away and hid while my parents awkwardly explained what had happened. I started wearing dangly clip-on earrings the next day. I was never a very girly girl, never wore skirts, but it's impossible to explain just how unsettling and awful it was for strangers to look at me and see a boy instead of a girl, and I felt like I NEEDED those earrings - not because I liked earrings but because I WAS NOT A BOY and it was incredibly important to me that people understand that at a glance. Obviously this is a super minor experience compared to what trans people go through but it's something I frequently use as an example when talking to other cis people, and it's definitely made a few people think about things differently.

Cis man here. Was bullied for having "long" (read: past the top of my ear) hair as a kid and specifically was called a girl constantly. Was also mistaken for a girl by waiters and shop attendants. Even happened in college when I grew my hair out longer and I had a beard if someone approached me from behind (do you ladies need any help?). Didn't really help that I wasn't involved in scouts or little league and didn't like football. poo poo's awful.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

cenotaph posted:

Cis man here. Was bullied for having "long" (read: past the top of my ear) hair as a kid and specifically was called a girl constantly. Was also mistaken for a girl by waiters and shop attendants. Even happened in college when I grew my hair out longer and I had a beard if someone approached me from behind (do you ladies need any help?). Didn't really help that I wasn't involved in scouts or little league and didn't like football. poo poo's awful.

You had Tommy Oliver hair?

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

cenotaph posted:

Another cis male here with a similar story. My first name's gender changes if you remove the last letter. I had look hair as a kid and a higher-pitched voice and was mistaken as a girl all the time. In grad school, I had a guest instructor one day who during the call for attendance used the female version of my name because, as it was a library school program I must be a woman since the profession is mostly women and clearly it was a misprint on the attendance sheet...All to say this is nothing compared to the actual experience trans people have to deal with. But it taught me early on to respect people when they tell you who they are and not to question it or push them on it but to let them define it.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Junpei posted:

You had Tommy Oliver hair?

It was the bowl(?) cut with the shaved part underneath that was popular with the college kids at the time. Early 90s grunge or skater thing, I think.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

cenotaph posted:

It was the bowl(?) cut with the shaved part underneath that was popular with the college kids at the time. Early 90s grunge or skater thing, I think.

Undercuts were cool and should make a comeback.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Add two letters to my name and it becomes a sing-songy girls name.

That was fun.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Inceltown posted:

Having flashbacks to my brother listening to the vitology album over and over again with his jagged rear end undercut and wearing jncos

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Inceltown posted:

They've been back for a while, they're just a Nazi thing now. Some Zoomers too but mostly Nazis

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
My first name is unquestionably male.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

name of Penis

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Inceltown posted:

oh I rocked the poo poo out of a bowl cut back in the day

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Marx Was A Lib posted:

Add two letters to my name and it becomes a sing-songy girls name.

That was fun.

this is 99% of male names tho

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Crazycryodude posted:

They've been back for a while, they're just a Nazi thing now. Some Zoomers too but mostly Nazis

It’s not really the same without the bowl cut and the extra bonus of awkwardly trying to force it to part down the middle. 90s were weird

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

It’s not really the same without the bowl cut and the extra bonus of awkwardly trying to force it to part down the middle. 90s were weird

I did this once and my dad made fun of me so much I stopped.

parents are cool

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

im glad the thread has accepted the critical need for the cis erasure ray. you will all be transed.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/shriekcast/status/1068320937559318528?s=20

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

T-man posted:

im glad the thread has accepted the critical need for the cis erasure ray. you will all be transed.

I, Marx Was A Lib, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land will never be purged away but with HRT.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

T-man posted:

:hmmyes:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/mondomascots/status/1329234823026597889?s=20

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lets see how Australia is doing today

https://twitter.com/stephendziedzic/status/1329219826510794752

:yikes:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
nice to see Chicago is still around

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
overly optimistic visions of the future are always so charming to me.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Real curious what the Americaville experience is like.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/VcfCommunism/status/1329238937328443392?s=20

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
How are you supposed to get into Judge Dredd ? I checked out some of the older books a while back but I wasn’t sure if you need to read it from the beginning or there’s a point where it starts to get good

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Delthalaz posted:

How are you supposed to get into Judge Dredd ? I checked out some of the older books a while back but I wasn’t sure if you need to read it from the beginning or there’s a point where it starts to get good
Start with case files and america

America I've read the whole way through, case files ive only gotten somewhat through. Its very campy in the early stuff

alternatively, just watch the Karl Urban movie 15 times a year

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Delthalaz posted:

it's a commentary on American Policing, the unchecked growth of the American free-enterprise system and how these two things combine to create an ultra-violent state.

In the comic the artists draw freeze-frame panels of the unspeakably gory action. from an American perspective its quite tame but in Europe where graphic violence is frowned upon it can be very transgressive.

From a 1980s US perspective It's a product of another world, however today very few European states have continued resisting the norms of the USA and in turn the USA hasn't resisted the norms of Europe, so in recent years European media has become more and more violent, while in the USA its media has become more and more sexualized.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Delthalaz posted:

Bear in mind that there is at this point more than 40 years worth of Dredd. In comic terms, there are little one and two or three episode stories which are generally little amusing stories of how hosed up life in Mega City One is, but don't get too explicit about how amazingly fascist it all is. Then you have your long epic stories that focus more on Dredd and should leave you wondering if this is all really a good thing, even apart from the necessities of a post-nuclear conflict society. And then there's the supernatural stuff with absurd body counts, but awesome adversaries cos Dredd got started in the seventies when people were still writing stories where psionics were a thing.

Looks like the Case Files 2, 3, 4 and 5 cover the Cursed Earth, the Judge Child, Apocalypse War and the first couple of Judge Death stories and a bunch of other stuff so I don't think you'd need much more than that.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Maybe don't read this one if you're not OK with brutal war crimes.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
Chekov's Breaker Morant Discussion

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The reason he originally became renown is that he was an Australian officer of an irregular unit who was executed by the British.

Australia did not have capital punishment in the military and was one of very few countries at the time who didn't. So when another country went and killed one of their own men, people got a bit upset.

Especially given the existing view that British officers didn't care about the lives of Australian troops and were responsible for the deaths of countless soldiers out of either sheer malice or outright incompetence, one which extended through to WWII which was the last time Australia entrusted their soldiers to British officers.

Morant committed a war crime and should have spent the rest of his life in gaol.

EDIT: Also, fighting in the Boer war should be enough to tell anyone he was a piece of poo poo person, goddamn.

Sorgrid
May 1, 2007
So it goes.

Inceltown posted:

Maybe don't read this one if you're not OK with brutal war crimes.

There was a time when I read stuff like that, I'd boil with anger, now all I can feel is sadness. I feel like poo poo all the time, especially every time I turn on a loving screen

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

https://twitter.com/0ddette/status/1329217071230689283

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

GIRL BRAINS posted:

Wario respects no laws

I'm pretty sure every mainstream wario game starts with him being robbed of his vast wealth, usually by ghosts or wizards, and traveling to foreign lands, assaulting the natives and plundering their wealth. Wario is the most chaotic concept of capitalism and imperialism personified

While all the WarioWare games start with him stealing something and/or starting a business with predatory practices

Albinator posted:

Bear in mind that there is at this point more than 40 years worth of Dredd. In comic terms, there are little one and two or three episode stories which are generally little amusing stories of how hosed up life in Mega City One is, but don't get too explicit about how amazingly fascist it all is. Then you have your long epic stories that focus more on Dredd and should leave you wondering if this is all really a good thing, even apart from the necessities of a post-nuclear conflict society. And then there's the supernatural stuff with absurd body counts, but awesome adversaries cos Dredd got started in the seventies when people were still writing stories where psionics were a thing.

Looks like the Case Files 2, 3, 4 and 5 cover the Cursed Earth, the Judge Child, Apocalypse War and the first couple of Judge Death stories and a bunch of other stuff so I don't think you'd need much more than that.

Been said elsewhere that the funny thing is that Dredd doesn't forget all of the silly stuff so occasionally he'll reminisce about the time he ate candy so delicious it created instant addiction

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the pirate lady who antagonizes wario in wario land games should have her own game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

:birdthunk: