Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Over the last 4 years my compassion has absolutely tanked. Not only do I not care about a lot of people, I actively wish suffering on them.

I'm a changed person now and I really hate it.

I'm not happy about it but I'm only human. I used to have a lot more but I had to wake up when I would let something innocuous my wife did set me off--that's unacceptable to me and so I just had to give up practicing infinite patience with everyone. I've got a lot (used to), but the drat fools used it all up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

pro starcraft loser posted:

I assume most people here aren't doing large Thanksgivings but are any of you doing small things?

Thinking about cooking turkey wings/legs for myself.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah the 3 of us would be perfectly fine. I figured it was going to be bigger though with my brother's family but I guess that's not the case. I already bought stuff for a lonely Thanksgiving myself so I just figured I'll stick with my plan. I'm sure my parent's will miss me greatly but hey, it's just one day. I can see them whenever.

The traveling is going to still be crazy this year and I guess it'll just make myself feel better to not be a part of it. Then I can be high and mighty and remain better than other people.

Yeah, I'll probably bring it up in a day or two.

Our group is really small but a few different households which is the real issue.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

coronavirus posted:

Holy poo poo,how did I miss this news story? Trump was sniffing around with generals trying to see if he could start some kind of military junta? How was this not the biggest story for the past year?

It was when he was brand new and feuding with the FBI, when all the half-in-context quotes were being leaked as he tried to get people off his back.

I'm probably overstating it but I'm sure I read some story where Mattis had to go 'I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about' and leave before Trump said something really stupid.

Like, not a serious attempt, he was probably just clueless.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The US Secretary of Defense resigned right as it became clear that Trump wasn't going to win, didn't he? I don't think there's any official word on what led to his sudden resignation, but it's pretty easy to imagine.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
SecDef Esper was fired about a week ago, just after the election. He was supposedly on the rocks with Trump all summer, and had kept a pretty low profile.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

pro starcraft loser posted:

I assume most people here aren't doing large Thanksgivings but are any of you doing small things?

We've had a quarantine pod with another couple since August and it's been working well, and we're incredibly communicative and transparent. We did it because we realized poo poo wasn't getting better this year and wanted to spend the holidays with them, so. We're getting takeout from a local Texas barbecue place for the turkey (Jack's, for those in Seattle) and some other more difficult things, and making the rest.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

greazeball posted:

there are very few people enlightened enough to manage infinite compassion, man. some of us have been waking up every day and extending compassion to the people we interact with to the point where we come home and we don't have any left for our families and ourselves. the well is dry over here and I gotta ration some of my goodwill and kindness and make sure the people I love and care about aren't the ones I lose my patience with. some people don't want my sympathy and I got good news for them.

Yeah, fair. But I also think there's a difference between "burned out on compassion" and "eagerly lusting for chud death," as described by some people in the thread. The former seems very understandable while the latter seems pretty gross.

/Not a chud, not a Covid denier, always wear my mask

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
My entire immediate family plus one grandparent and an in-law got exposed this past weekend when stepsister and her husband showed up at my mom's place this weekend with their two kids. 5 of 9 are positive, the rest are getting tested. Grandparent was only passing through for 30 minutes, that's all it took. I was down there six days prior and managed to dodge a bullet. Grandparent's preemptively getting admitted to the hospital tomorrow, mom and step-dad are a coin flip on how things will go. gently caress this virus

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Moai Ou posted:

I work in the pharmacy of a drugstore in Ohio. We just made masks mandatory for everyone...but employees aren't allowed to say anything to customers; management has to.

Then this past week, a woman that works in the customer service desk next to the pharmacy tested positive for Covid AFTER she was already coming in to work sick.

Now today I find out that the live-in boyfriend of our pregnant pharmacy tech tested positive. She's self-quarantining, but corporate said she could work until she got results.

I just finally broke down crying at work because I'm probably going to catch this poo poo because I'm the only one that actually has their mask on (correctly) all day at work here. I'm afraid of getting my Mom, who I live with (lol economy) sick.

I'm just so loving sick of it all, being around assholes and rear end in a top hat-apologists that are actively killing us.

I don't know what to say. You're not alone. I work a lovely retail job and I completely understand where you're coming from. Stay strong, I believe in you.

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe
I work in a factory type mail place and in my first hour saw twenty three people without masks, and 99 percent of our workforce wasn't even there yet. I lost it and emailed some guy in corporate. I'm gonna email someone new every day about this until someone flies down here and sees the sign in the entryway that says "not everyone can wear masks so be nice", here in my state where masks are required and violations can be up to a thousand a head. I super duper want to call my state government, but I'll give corporate a very small chance before the state gets involved because one shift could easily be a hundred thousand dollar fine, but I have to cover my rear end for now because I'm not sure how retaliation could work

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

indiscriminately posted:

These people are stupid brain-scrambled sad sacks who have been manipulated into killing their family members and themselves. They deserve sympathy. And it doesn't matter whether one's sympathy is wanted/appreciated, sympathy isn't a transaction.

indiscriminately posted:

I doubt the people you're talking about would agree with you/me that Fox News is propaganda... which means they're victims of propaganda.

So blame their ignorance and insularity, this is what made them more vulnerable to propaganda and now they will reap what they sow. Sure, to the extent that open-mindedness is a willed, voluntary part of one's personality. In my experience it's mostly circumstance.

Yeah that'd be really noble and Christ-like and I'm sure we'll get right on that right after they stop spreading this disease which is globally killing 10,000 people every day and rapidly increasing.

Showing them sympathy or acceptance won't get them to change their mind, or reconsider the evidence, or consider compromising. At best it would get you laughed at, at worst it would piss them off and make them even more entrenched in their anti-mask behaviour. We've already seen a whole bunch of examples where these idiots caught the disease or passed it on the their family and they still didn't change their minds and in some cases actively fought against the hospital staff as they lay dying in ICU.

School shooters and terrorists are also stupid brain-scrambled sad sacks who have been manipulated into killing people because they were vulnerable to propaganda, and are a symptom of a hosed up culture. I personally believe they also deserve sympathy and understanding if they're willing to show penitence after the fact, but the time to be having that discussion is not while they're still actively shooting up a school, because it's a bit too late at that point.

Your priorities are pretty hosed up if you're crying about people's feelings getting hurt while those same people actively contributing to other people's deaths. Your suggestion is not a useful one in this current situation.

Stunt_enby posted:

you aren't triaging. you aren't treating patients. you aren't even loving talking to doctors or anyone working in a hospital. you're comfortably sitting on a computer fantasizing about how much you want to kill people

They're also not going door-to-door shooting chuds. They're not actually hurting anyone by angryposting in GBS.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
I feel sympathy for them for my own benefit, not for theirs. Sympathy is a lightning rod to capture and ground corrupting emotions like hatred and contempt. To allow myself to dehumanize them is to dehumanize myself.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Moai Ou posted:

I work in the pharmacy of a drugstore in Ohio. We just made masks mandatory for everyone...but employees aren't allowed to say anything to customers; management has to.

Then this past week, a woman that works in the customer service desk next to the pharmacy tested positive for Covid AFTER she was already coming in to work sick.

Now today I find out that the live-in boyfriend of our pregnant pharmacy tech tested positive. She's self-quarantining, but corporate said she could work until she got results.

I just finally broke down crying at work because I'm probably going to catch this poo poo because I'm the only one that actually has their mask on (correctly) all day at work here. I'm afraid of getting my Mom, who I live with (lol economy) sick.

I'm just so loving sick of it all, being around assholes and rear end in a top hat-apologists that are actively killing us.

Lmao many of the pharmacies in my district have multiple staff out with covid and they're still sending the floater pharmacists who worked with them out to every store

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Stunt_enby posted:

you aren't triaging. you aren't treating patients. you aren't even loving talking to doctors or anyone working in a hospital. you're comfortably sitting on a computer fantasizing about how much you want to kill people

Hi, my wife goes in to work every day and puts her life, my life, and the lives of my kids on the line to treat these ghouls and I'm proud to say that I hope when they die it is physically and emotionally painful and they realize the magnitude of their worthlessness right as they struggle to breath their last. Hth

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Mrs. Dash posted:

Lmao many of the pharmacies in my district have multiple staff out with covid and they're still sending the floater pharmacists who worked with them out to every store

Same with the guy I know except he's not in retail. They are pretty much putting anybody out there who isn't gasping

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

indiscriminately posted:

I feel sympathy for them for my own benefit, not for theirs. Sympathy is a lightning rod to capture and ground corrupting emotions like hatred and contempt. To allow myself to dehumanize them is to dehumanize myself.

You've been screaming in this thread since July for people to stop saying angry things about those poor confused chuds and you've never once said a word of sympathy for all the people who got sick and died because of their actions. Not one word for the dead, or the families of the dead. Just endless chud defense.

I'm calling bullshit on your :airquote: sympathy :airquote:.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Is it always the straight white men that aren't personally affected by events that go around telling everyone that actually you should really have sympathy for people who literally want to drag you behind a truck until all the meat is flayed from your bones?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1328882686333775876
A few hours later, the death toll for that day was announced at 1,956. 2,000/day might come a bit sooner than Christmas.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Also:
https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1328735052302331906
https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1328751730360770566

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I don't know of there's been a time in my nearly 40 years of existence that I've felt this awful about the state of the world. Growing up in that 90s optimism bubble did not prepare me for this kind of future. Fuckin hell. We're failing so badly. I've just been stuck in a complete state of disbelief for months, and it just keeps spiralling more and more out of control. I don't even want to think about the future.

NotNowBro
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scarodactyl posted:

More good followup data from Pfizer--uot to 95% effective with more data, 94% in older adults. We're also past the two month mark for enough patients to have a pretty decent safety readout.
A really good study taking a look at immunity in some covid patients over time gave a look at immunity that seems to indicate it will be very durable for most people.
Both nicely reviewed here https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/11/18/vaccine-possibilities
Things have gone better than I dared to hoped on this, and I was pretty optimistic about it.

I think the vaccine will be ready, by the time all the votes are counted in North Carolina, Alaska, and Arizona (yes, I was wrong for the election ending on the 12th, as apparently according to the New York Times election site (I think the Unknowns on that site means that they are all counted). And it will be hopefully before Thanksgiving. Also I don't know if anyone has talked about this, But has anyone heard of the Great Reset conspiracy theory?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Picnic Princess posted:

I don't know of there's been a time in my nearly 40 years of existence that I've felt this awful about the state of the world. Growing up in that 90s optimism bubble did not prepare me for this kind of future. Fuckin hell. We're failing so badly. I've just been stuck in a complete state of disbelief for months, and it just keeps spiralling more and more out of control. I don't even want to think about the future.

:smith::hf::smith:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Absolute power corrupts absolutely

APAB

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Picnic Princess posted:

I don't even want to think about the future.

It's not looking good

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/altusda/status/1329207344182554624

quote:

John Casey, an upper-level manager at the plant, is alleged to have explicitly directed supervisors to ignore symptoms of COVID-19, telling them to show up to work even if they were exhibiting symptoms of the virus. Casey reportedly referred to COVID-19 as the “glorified flu” and told workers not to worry about it because “it’s not a big deal” and “everyone is going to get it.” On one occasion, Casey intercepted a sick supervisor who was on his way to be tested and ordered him to get back to work, saying, “We all have symptoms — you have a job to do.” After one employee vomited on the production line, managers reportedly allowed the man to continue working and then return to work the next day.

quote:

The lawsuit claims that while Tyson has repeatedly claimed that its operations needed to remain open to feed America, the company increased its exports to China by 600% during the first quarter of 2020.

E:
https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1329289318234542081

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 19, 2020

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Picnic Princess posted:

Its okay I'm sure we'll all come together to fight climate change.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

This. I'm in my 30s, but if I could travel back in time to my birth year I'd do it. Enjoy the 90s (and 00s to some extent), prepare early retirement in the 10s, move to NZ, Taiwan or Vietnam in January 2020 :smith:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

lol one of my childhood friends is VERY Southern Baptist, and is the pastor at his like 50 person congregation church in rural western Kentucky. His latest stream has an unmasked choir, and his sermon is basically "Trump was given to us by God, this suffering was sent to us by God, it is our job to face forward to it in order to show faith."

YOU GOTTA DIE CAUSE GOD LOVES YA!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
at this point sounds good to me

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I feel like not enough people know about the absolute boneheaded decisions the Japanese government has been doing. You may look at a list and see that the numbers aren't that bad all things considered, but that's in spite of the government's seemingly objective of spreading the virus as much as possible.

In order to prop up the service and tourism economies, they've decided to create some discount campaigns, one where you travel around the country and get cheap transportation, hotels, and coupons to use for daily expenses. The other one is a promotion to go eat at restaurants and you get some discounts for doing so.

We're starting to see cases rapidly rise since the start of these promotions after having things pretty much under control the past few months. As bad as some government response has been, I think this one takes the case for actually encouraging people to move around and infect others.

rbk
Nov 2, 2005

I really believe there are things nobody would see if I didn't photograph them.

Original_Z posted:

I feel like not enough people know about the absolute boneheaded decisions the Japanese government has been doing. You may look at a list and see that the numbers aren't that bad all things considered, but that's in spite of the government's seemingly objective of spreading the virus as much as possible.

In order to prop up the service and tourism economies, they've decided to create some discount campaigns, one where you travel around the country and get cheap transportation, hotels, and coupons to use for daily expenses. The other one is a promotion to go eat at restaurants and you get some discounts for doing so.

We're starting to see cases rapidly rise since the start of these promotions after having things pretty much under control the past few months. As bad as some government response has been, I think this one takes the case for actually encouraging people to move around and infect others.

Why can’t they just give some money to these industries without these discounts attached? It’d be money for doing nothing and no one gets infected.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Fuuurweeeeee muuuuuneyyyyy......you say?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

rbk posted:

Why can’t they just give some money to these industries without these discounts attached? It’d be money for doing nothing and no one gets infected.

No that's communism, and furthermore

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Original_Z posted:

The other one is a promotion to go eat at restaurants and you get some discounts for doing so.

This is exactly what the UK govt did in August or so ("Eat Out To Help Out") and estimates show that it has caused >20% of all cases since then.

I would say I'm surprised that it's not a larger proportion, bit given that a lot of people went out partying in the last day before our current lockdown I suspect that has had more effect on the recent numbers... Not helped by Wetherspoons discounting beer to 99p a pint then : https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/02/wetherspoons-selling-99p-pints-to-get-rid-of-stock-before-lockdown-13519287/

Actively trying to kill us all :(

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

legooolas posted:

This is exactly what the UK govt did in August or so ("Eat Out To Help Out") and estimates show that it has caused >20% of all cases since then.

I would say I'm surprised that it's not a larger proportion, bit given that a lot of people went out partying in the last day before our current lockdown I suspect that has had more effect on the recent numbers... Not helped by Wetherspoons discounting beer to 99p a pint then : https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/02/wetherspoons-selling-99p-pints-to-get-rid-of-stock-before-lockdown-13519287/

I was supposed to eat out at restaurants???

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Which leads us to the real question: What's the associated % increase in cunnilingus?

Edit: fixed

Hopper fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Nov 19, 2020

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

rbk posted:

If you give someone a $10 voucher, they're likely to spend more than that and pay the difference out of pocket. Say $20 total for ease. Thus, a $1m initiative actually injects $2m into the economy by stimulating private spending. This is a major reason why most govt stimulus spending is in the form of discounts/grants/etc. rather than direct spending.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Nam Taf posted:

If you give someone a $10 voucher, they're likely to spend more than that and pay the difference out of pocket. Say $20 total for ease. Thus, a $1m initiative actually injects $2m into the economy by stimulating private spending. This is a major reason why most govt stimulus spending is in the form of discounts/grants/etc. rather than direct spending.

But when it then leads to more spread and ends up costing more that's a bit self-defeating.

In the UK they seem to have been doing a bit of both, but loads of companies are still going to go bust because they have expenses which won't be covered and there's only so much debt they can accrue before they just explode.

One guy on the radio was saying that he's had of some nightclub chain and they are turbo-hosed as the gov has a load of help for companies but they don't qualify for any of it, and they're already 17mil in debt with the company up for sale and no income since March. Said that if they were given a grant to stay afloat then the gov would get approx a 300% return on it in a year or two as they pay a crapload of tax on booze sales, but as it is they'll get nothing as they won't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

legooolas posted:

I remember when this policy was announced I thought oh thats a mediocre way to prop up restaurant via subsiding takeaways but at least theyre doing something. Then I got to the bit about it being dine-in only.

Just loving lol at eat out to help out, the single dumbest policy in living memory.