Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

SeANMcBAY posted:

Anything that lists everything with M1 support or will have M1 support soon?

https://roaringapps.com/collections/list-of-apple-silicon-native-apps

Also check out UniDetector, an app that scans your current apps and tells you if any are ready for Apple Silicon.

Also what FCKGW said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Cheese Thief posted:

What do you use to edit a video on a Macintosh laptop computer (MBP)? Something easy, I just want to chop out a little in the beginning and end.

iMovie works great and you should already have it

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
First day with Big Sur. For the most part it was relatively smooth. Had to update zoom and sometime iterm2 and vscode slowed down.

One really weird behavior I'm seeing is with our VPN client, Forticlient. I'm using 6.4.something for sslvpn and whenever I do anything bandwidth intensive it just stops resolving internal DNS and I have to reconnect (but the client says it's still connected). Not sure if it's the client or OS tbh.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Firefox nightly is M1 native

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1648496#c2

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, IIRC they found a bunch of Big Sur bugs (which isn’t that surprising, a web browser touches a lot of API surface) along the way.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/11/18/apple-drops-app-store-fees/

Apple drops their cut to 15% if your app doesn't make more than a million.

Feels like a 'tax the rich' kinda deal.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

Binary Badger posted:

Feels like a 'tax the rich' kinda deal.

Good.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Now Epic can claim victory and put Fortnite back on the App Store.:downs:

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

Now Epic can claim victory and put Fortnite back on the App Store.:downs:

Of course they won't here's Tim Sweeney's response

Tim Sweeney, CEO Epic Games posted:

This would be something to celebrate were it not a calculated move by Apple to divide app creators and preserve their monopoly on stores and payments, again breaking the promise of treating all developers equally. By giving special 15 percent terms to select robber barons like Amazon, and now also to small indies, Apple is hoping to remove enough critics that they can get away with their blockade on competition and 30 percent tax on most in-app purchases. But consumers will still pay inflated prices marked up by the Apple tax.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Anyone tried using Music.app with a library and files stored on a network volume?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Epic: We're doing this for the little guy! Someone has to make a stand!
Epic after the little guy gets paid: This is unfair! They're trying to divide us!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Anyone tried using Music.app with a library and files stored on a network volume?

I’m switching to Mac and would be curious about this. iTunes on windows tends to freak out when you did I t. It worked generally but would constantly try and default the directory back to somewhere on my main drive.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the corona quid posted:

I’m switching to Mac and would be curious about this. iTunes on windows tends to freak out when you did I t. It worked generally but would constantly try and default the directory back to somewhere on my main drive.
I already keep my main library on an external drive and open it using Alt+click every time I want to use it. I've heard that putting it on a network share introduces some gremlins though, at least with iTunes.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Something that has bothered me for the last 10 years of using macOS is for how 'connected to the internet' an OS it is, how poo poo it is as working with files on LAN.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I already keep my main library on an external drive and open it using Alt+click every time I want to use it. I've heard that putting it on a network share introduces some gremlins though, at least with iTunes.

It does but it has mostly been worked out by now. It used to be that, if it didn't detect a volume (slow network or just turned off, you forgot to plug in the external drive etc), it would silently fail and immediately revert to the default locations where it would create a new library and would then equally silently merge it with the existing files once they became available again. So half your library would be external; half would not, and you'd basically have to start over and re-import everything to get it all back in order.

That has largely been fixed for quite some time now — if it fails to find a properly moved library now, it will fail loudly instead and give you the option to remedy things (or just quit) before continuing. It will still occasionally fail quietly (but not fully silently) if the connection is lost while Music/iTunes is running, but it only results in a “couldn't save the DB” error that you can just quit out of and restart to have it back in working order.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

Something that has bothered me for the last 10 years of using macOS is for how 'connected to the internet' an OS it is, how poo poo it is as working with files on LAN.

Tell me about it, especially as Big Sur just dropped support for AFP and I have clients who are going to scream that they can't access their AFP servers running on hand-me-down LCIIIs and G4s when they upgrade to Big Sur behind my back.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

DROBO users, there's light at the end of the tunnel!

MacRumors forum and DROBO Community users are reporting that Big Sur 11.1 developer beta restores connectivity to DROBOs.

Yeah, that's the new numbering scheme.. no more 'Supplemental Updates' for Big Sur.. that'll be the third identifier.

If they update 11.1, it'll be with an 11.1.1.

Edit: looks like it's Apple's fault in regards to the DROBO issue (of course)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 18, 2020

Violator
May 15, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

DROBO users, there's light at the end of the tunnel!

MacRumors forum and DROBO Community users are reporting that Big Sur 11.1 developer beta restores connectivity to DROBOs.

Awesome.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

According to the developers of the Notion app, you can run homebrew x86 apps on your Apple Silicon Mac by doing the following:

Create a duplicate of the Terminal app in the Utilities folder.

Right click on the app and choose Get Info.

Rename the other version of the app into something recognizable.

Check off the "open using Rosetta" option.

That's it!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone using Jetbrains WebStorm? Curious if it works alright on the M1

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Adobe Creative cloud looks like it will be updated in Q1 and “doesn’t officially support Rosetta 2”

Am I going to be SOL for 3 months trying to run Illustrator, InDesign, and occasionally Photoshop on an M1?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Probably not but as always ymmv.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Binary Badger posted:

According to the developers of the Notion app, you can run homebrew x86 apps on your Apple Silicon Mac by doing the following:

That's it!

What, how does this work normally? Does Apple have to approve the apps?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Binary Badger posted:

Tell me about it, especially as Big Sur just dropped support for AFP and I have clients who are going to scream that they can't access their AFP servers running on hand-me-down LCIIIs and G4s when they upgrade to Big Sur behind my back.

I just connected to an AFP volume (hosted by ExtremeZ-IP) on my Big Sur 11.1 beta development machine. Appleshare still workin' here, hoss. The reaper ain't here yet.

Support for old Appleshare authentication (that OS 9 and earlier used) was dropped all the way back in 10.8 or so (after being deprecated and needing a plist to reenable for a version or two) so those LC and G4 using holdouts would have cried foul years ago. ;) They certainly cried to me at the time when I had to give them the bad new that Services for Mac wasn't adequate in TYOOL 2011. Then again it wasn't adequate in 2006 either, but, whaddya gonna do.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 19, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Fat binary has both programs

Normally the is chooses the native one

You’re basically just saying run the Intel version

Then the environment launched identifies itself as Intel and brew runs normally (and emulated)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a way to disable automatic scanning for WiFi networks in Big Sur?

I play games through Parsec (Remote Desktop for games), but whenever macOS scans for wifi networks (even in the background), I get some hideous lag / stuttering.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a way to disable automatic scanning for WiFi networks in Big Sur?

I play games through Parsec (Remote Desktop for games), but whenever macOS scans for wifi networks (even in the background), I get some hideous lag / stuttering.

sounds like a bug in parsec - i use steam streaming and do not have this problem

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hed posted:

Adobe Creative cloud looks like it will be updated in Q1 and “doesn’t officially support Rosetta 2”

Am I going to be SOL for 3 months trying to run Illustrator, InDesign, and occasionally Photoshop on an M1?

https://twitter.com/lazygamereviews/status/1328880307056074753

A lot of stuff works pretty well right now

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Big Sur loving suuuuuuuucks. My battery drains much faster than it did before the upgrade and somehow some files disappeared afterwards, too.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Homebrew installs CLI apps, it's just a well thought out package manager, like Fink or MacPorts, it can also install GUI apps as casks

Apple doesn't have to approve the CLI apps AFAIK..

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Does Awful.app run on the new M1? Any M1 Goon wanna post some screenshots if so?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Someone check Sonic 1 and 2 too please. Would be cool to be able to play those excellent versions on something that isn’t a touch screen.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thank you!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Binary Badger posted:

That's it!

So you have to choose between a terminal that runs ARM binaries and one that runs x86 binaries?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Mad Wack posted:

sounds like a bug in parsec - i use steam streaming and do not have this problem

Doesn't matter what it is, I'm asking how to turn off automatic wifi scanning.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
For anyone who might want occasional Photoshop use but doesn't want to pay for a subscription, Photoshop Elements 2021 is now available on the Mac App Store and on sale at $59.99. Seems like it has most of the basic functionality there.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Well, I ran into my first Big Slur bug, and it's a doozy. If I connect a Thunderbolt ethernet adapter, then disconnect it, macOS still thinks it's connected and tries to access the network through it, ignoring my attempts to connect via WiFi. Only a restart fixes it. That breaks docking for now.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

So you have to choose between a terminal that runs ARM binaries and one that runs x86 binaries?

I don't have an M1 machine to test, but I'm sure you could just have a copy of one Terminal meant for ARM and another for x86..

Well, I ran into my first Big Slur bug, and it's a doozy. If I connect a Thunderbolt ethernet adapter, then disconnect it, macOS still thinks it's connected and tries to access the network through it, ignoring my attempts to connect via WiFi. Only a restart fixes it. That breaks docking for now.

Thunderbolt is hosed in Big Sur, but supposedly 11.1 may fix things..

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

So I just found out about the new Sealed System Volume function and the demise of kexts and I'm noooooooooooot sure how I feel about this. Especially since Big Sur's firewall framework (which apps like Little Snitch are required to use) exempts a bunch of apple apps from traffic management, whether the end user would manage them or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple finally gets around to updating Apple Remote Desktop, but now it requires Big Sur. Yeesh. :eng99:

The Sealed System Volume until recently made it impossible to create a bootable clone of any Big Sur install; Carbon Copy Cloner now can do it, but it has to do it the SuperDuper way: wipe the volume first and then perform the clone.

If DiskWarrior 6 ever materializes, it's going to have to recognize all the different APFS versions.. There's literally like at least 3-4 different versions and earlier versions of the OS can't read the versions of subsequent OSes, it's a goddamn nightmare management wise.

A High Sierra volume won't be recognized in Sierra; a Catalina volume may or may not show up in High Sierra, etc.

It's totally ludicrous, but I guess it's better than staying with HFS+ forever.