Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Assuming you're talking about Spider-Man, would have been better if it wasn't immediately after a gay joke in 2014

Wait, does clowning on Goblin's sack of pumpkin bombs for being a man-purse constitute a gay joke? Cause that's all he says. I never read that far into it, but, it's possible I've got my meter for what constitutes a slur tuned too low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

Assuming you're talking about Spider-Man, would have been better if it wasn't immediately after a gay joke in 2014

Peter Parker isn't a fashion expert he doesn't know that man purses are acceptable.

Edit: I mean, look at this sweater he willingly wore

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 19, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Phy posted:

Wait, does clowning on Goblin's sack of pumpkin bombs for being a man-purse constitute a gay joke? Cause that's all he says. I never read that far into it, but, it's possible I've got my meter for what constitutes a slur tuned too low.

People make fun of man-purses because they think it's effeminate. It's literally a 90's joke from Seinfeld.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Phy posted:

calling something a 'man purse' instead of, like, 'a bag' is absolutely a gay joke

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Phy posted:

the west has a significant degree of historical cultural associations between effiminity and homosexuality. even at its absolute best the joke is still just that appearing to be a woman is degrading.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d_VAWyCFE8

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

even at its absolute best the joke is still just that appearing to be a woman is degrading.

That was the light I read it in, and was thinking yeah, this doesn't work so well any more moving forward. I honestly didn't see it as a gay joke, but I've been told and I'm sorry if I upset anyone by bringing it up or being thick about it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Phy posted:

That was the light I read it in, and was thinking yeah, this doesn't work so well any more moving forward. I honestly didn't see it as a gay joke, but I've been told and I'm sorry if I upset anyone by bringing it up or being thick about it.

I doubt there were any 13 year olds struggling with their own sexuality that it sent into a depressive fugue or anything, but I doubt it made their day any better either.

My problem with it was just that it was incredibly lame and dated more than being offensive, like I said, it's a joke from sitcoms written two decades earlier.

I'm sure Dan Slott had been planning some version of that page since before Superior Spider-Man issue 1 came out, and that's what he came up with?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
That issue was written by Yost

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Threep posted:

That issue was written by Yost

Looking it up Christos Gage is credited for the script with Dan Slott's plot. Which is good because I was gonna be disappointed in Yost, but also weird, that it wasn't Slott scripting too since it's not like he'd been moved to a different book or left Marvel, he kept writing Spider-Man for another bazillion years after that.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Skwirl posted:

Looking it up Christos Gage is credited for the script with Dan Slott's plot. Which is good because I was gonna be disappointed in Yost, but also weird, that it wasn't Slott scripting too since it's not like he'd been moved to a different book or left Marvel, he kept writing Spider-Man for another bazillion years after that.
I should've checked instead of going off memory sorry. Gage scripted the last several issues of Superior though, can't remember from what point but it wasn't just the one issue.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

counterpoint: tiny shoulder bags are dumb as hell in any world rob liefeld was involved in

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's still a little better than the time he asked Bonesaw if his husband made his outfit.

I think that's the only quip he makes in the entire trilogy. And it's a gay joke.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Shadow Comics #10 (1941)

Journey into Mystery #24 (1955)

The Defenders #8 (1973)

Silver Surfer #8 (1988)

Skrull Kill Krew #5 (2009)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I know the Gardener is supposed to have one of those shepherd's crooks but it sure looks like a giant version of one of those pink plastic bubble wands you get in the bubble bottles for kids.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Push El Burrito posted:

I will never get over the one two punch of Rocket Racer and Big Wheel debuting just one right after each other. Two powerhouse villains.

There are references to both of them in the new Miles Morales game.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Today marks Calvin and Hobbes 35th anniversary! Post your favorite

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's still a little better than the time he asked Bonesaw if his husband made his outfit.

I think that's the only quip he makes in the entire trilogy. And it's a gay joke.

I'm not going to say it wasn't terrible, but it was written in '99 or 2000.

Versus 2014.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

It's tough to capture the pure unbridled chaotic energy of a 6-year old boy but, somehow, this strip does it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Saoshyant posted:

e: whoops, hello other thread I thought I was still in PYF comics :v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Darthemed posted:

Silver Surfer #8 (1988)

drat, keep it in your pants, artist guy.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

drat, keep it in your pants, artist guy.
He can't!

Darthemed posted:

Silver Surfer #8 (1988)
They're gone, remember?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

From Savage Dragon 252, which paid homage to Sunday funnies.

There’s a Calvin & Hobbes strip that references Savage Dragon too (Calvin’s reading a violent superhero comic with a superhero who’s wearing a cowl with a ridged fin-like protrusion), but I can’t find it at the moment.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

ruddiger posted:

There’s a Calvin & Hobbes strip that references Savage Dragon too (Calvin’s reading a violent superhero comic with a superhero who’s wearing a cowl with a ridged fin-like protrusion), but I can’t find it at the moment.

Is it this one? https://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1994/02/20

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yep, thanks!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Whiz Comics #22 (1941)

Superboy #53 (1956)

Ghost Manor #31 (1976)

Damage Control #4 (1989)
Context

X-Men: Worst X-Man Ever #1 (2016)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think saying this references Savage Dragon is really pushing it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I think saying this references Savage Dragon is really pushing it.

I always read it as a reference to the rise of violent comics that were influenced by Image Comics, Savage Dragon in particular. Image comics made their debut in 92, this comic was drawn in 94, during the height of Image’s popularity.

Not sure of the exact timing, but there was an early storyline where Dragon had a huge hole blasted through him and he was left for dead too.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/LetsTalkMercury/status/1318328181724745729?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh my God, I need more of this.

Please tell me I can find the whole thing somewhere.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thetoughestbean posted:

97% of birds don’t even have penises, so duck dicks are extra weird.

Some ducks have a social hierarchy where the dominant male duck grows a gigantic dick and the lesser ducks only grow small dicks that they try to hide from the male duck.

Ducks are weird

In bird culture, this is considered a dick move.

hahahhahahaha omg

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

It's not quite what you're looking for, but these have been floating around the Internet for like a decade

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Skwirl posted:

Check out the "Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders" movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Final Frontier - Tom Scioli

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Marvel Boy #1 (1950)
(Yes, it's dumb, but it made me laugh)

Strange Tales #81 (1961)

Super-Villain Team-Up #5 (1976)

The Sensational She-Hulk #17 (1990)

Slapstick #4 (2017)

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Darthemed posted:

Strange Tales #81 (1961)

I love the very helpful title he's given his diagram.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darthemed posted:

Strange Tales #81 (1961)

Saddam read a lot of Gene Ray down in that spiderhole, huh?

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Darthemed posted:

X-Men: Worst X-Man Ever #1 (2016)

I would love a short one off about beast's personal sisyphean hell dealing with furries.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Filthy Haiku posted:

I would love a short one off about beast's personal sisyphean hell dealing with furries.

Publicly announcing that he identifies as a furry -- even though he hates them -- for the "woke" points is totally a thing I could see him doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Publicly announcing that he identifies as a furry -- even though he hates them -- for the "woke" points is totally a thing I could see him doing.

"Hello, I'm Dr. Hank McCoy, and this is my new blog.

Some of you have asked if I'm a, quote/un-quote, 'furry'. The answer is a simple no, but, I have prepared a complex explanation to illustrate and define the issue. In this in-depth essay, I shall"