Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Zombiepop posted:

Kalle ankas jul owns bones. I kinda like that its always the same stuff on tv on christmas, its relaxing.

Home Alone and Die Hard, the essential Christmas movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
It ain't Christmas until you watch Tre Nøtter til Askepott and hear that one guy who dubs every character screeching out 'ASKEPOOOOTT!!!!'

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Hell yeah. Christmas is gonna be weird this year so gently caress SVT if they change anything.

Already talked with my mom and all the gifts will be bought online and its just my parents and me for christmas. Feels nice to have good and smart parents.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Svensson Svenssons jul is all you need.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Tomtar på loftet (Nissene på låven) is good as well

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
me and my siblings are planning to place ourselves in absolute quarantine for at least a week before christmas so we can go over and actually stay at our parents' place for a while

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I am so tired of Swedes going "maybe the government should do more than just recommend stuff"

The PM was even on the radio and the reporter was like "maybe you should write a law or something"

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
lmao

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

...is that supposed to be a mink? looks like a pug

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 18, 2020

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Katt posted:

I am so tired of Swedes going "maybe the government should do more than just recommend stuff"

The PM was even on the radio and the reporter was like "maybe you should write a law or something"

Yes I'm sure M, KD, SD and C would be supercool with allowing Stefan to give himself and his government more authority, reasons be damned.

They're just hanging back for now. Then when the worst of it is over they will start berating the government big time, just in time for 2022.

Wonder if M will campaign on privatising FHM.....

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

:lol::lol:

No self-awareness at all.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Randarkman posted:

Norway does the same thing more or less. I think our "Disneys Julekavalkade" (IIRC it's called that) is the exact same Christmas specias as Kalle Ankas Jul. There's also the East German/Czecho Slovak Cinderella movie from the 80s, with the one guy dubbing the whole thing Russian/Polish style, that's delightful, and "Reisen til Julestjernen" which I think is an awful movie, but still it's always there. A couple of others here and there as well (some have been added and some shorter/smaller ones have slipped away over the years)

You just turn on the TV and let it roll for however long it takes, meanwhile you do preparations for Christmas dinner, get the last of the presents delivered or whatever and just pop in for a look every now and then, maybe deciding to catch one of the programs in its entirety or close to it.

It works and doesn't really need changing, it being the same every single time is the point.

Its me.

I am the person who only watches NRK once a year, just so my Christmas traditions are kept.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Same.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Was pretty fun to watch Donald Duck last year because my Croatian gf had never watched it and she loved it, warts and all.

To my family it’s mostly background noise while we wait for dinner at four.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

BigglesSWE posted:

Yes I'm sure M, KD, SD and C would be supercool with allowing Stefan to give himself and his government more authority, reasons be damned.

They're just hanging back for now. Then when the worst of it is over they will start berating the government big time, just in time for 2022.

Wonder if M will campaign on privatising FHM.....

The right wing alliance will absolutely roast the poo poo out of Löfven in the next election over how he handled Covid. And win because of it.

Even though his ultra-liberal approach is probably miles better than anything an M government would have done or done to the eldercare/sjukvården in time for the pandemic.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I mean the government suggested some drastic legislation to fight this thing but they all threw a hizzy fit about it.

Not that voters will remember that in two years...

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
"Stojbergloven" and the mink replaced by a refugee

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

KozmoNaut posted:

I always liked National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. My favorite scene is where they start up an extra nuclear plant to keep his christmas lights on.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

His Divine Shadow posted:

I always liked National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. My favorite scene is where they start up an extra nuclear plant to keep his christmas lights on.

Haha that’s a good gag.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

For years me and my sister had a tradition of watching a Nitghmare Before Christmas the night before christmas.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

E:nm

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Sunes Jul is also a pro watch any Christmas.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ivanhoe is not Christmas, it's new years, get it right, you plebs

It's also funny because Sam Neil usually comments on it on twitter

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Gremlins. Die Hard. Black Christmas. Krampus.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

TheFluff posted:

me and my siblings are planning to place ourselves in absolute quarantine for at least a week before christmas so we can go over and actually stay at our parents' place for a while

I think a lot of people are going to do something similar. Here it will only be my SO's parents, and we will not be in contact with other people for a week beforehand just in case.

Just ordered some different and weird beers as my own juleøl. I imagine things will be quite calm and I'll mostly have to work anyways, so a single beer in the evening to relax while playing bass sounds like a good plan to me.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
It's far too long since I watched Sunes jul. If nothing else for seeing Håkan only eat potatoes at the buffé, pissing his father off.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Kalle anka is about the perfect time for a nap.
Also, if you are not fermenting your own glögg I don't know what to say.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I'm a fan of Karl Bertil Jonsson.
I like the gengasaggregat cars they have in it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Since the talk has switched to Yule entertainment, perhaps I can tan a gent by asking whether anyone remembers a movie, possibly animated, with some kids in an orphanage, set around the winter holidays?
Unfortunately, that's just about the only thing I remember about it, so I know it's a long-shot.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Since the talk has switched to Yule entertainment, perhaps I can tan a gent by asking whether anyone remembers a movie, possibly animated, with some kids in an orphanage, set around the winter holidays?
Unfortunately, that's just about the only thing I remember about it, so I know it's a long-shot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p17kBv8F5I

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

lilljonas posted:

It's far too long since I watched Sunes jul. If nothing else for seeing Håkan only eat potatoes at the buffé, pissing his father off.

My favorite is when Rudolf is messing up the knäck and he screams to his wife in the bath: “LIGG KVAR! KOM INTE HIT!”

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Katt posted:

I had no idea Sweden had an American style "war on Christmas

Eh, Norway too.

Last year, I think, the usual suspects were getting all riled up because a school somewhere held a "vinterfest" instead of something beginning with "jul", of course it was OMG SNIKISLAMISERING and all.

Except it had nothing to do with any Muslims whatsoever. See, some of the kids at the school were Jehova's Witnesses...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Groke posted:

Eh, Norway too.

Last year, I think, the usual suspects were getting all riled up because a school somewhere held a "vinterfest" instead of something beginning with "jul", of course it was OMG SNIKISLAMISERING and all.

Except it had nothing to do with any Muslims whatsoever. See, some of the kids at the school were Jehova's Witnesses...

Also, IKEA stared selling products named "Vinterfest". It was the perfect storm.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Never seen Sunes, Karl-Bertil or Ivanhoe. Die Hard when i was 10 the last time, maybe. Jingle all the way is good and for swedish Tomen är far of course

e. does anyone even like Kan du vissla johanna?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

There was this cartoon about Santa taking a holiday that aired every year in Denmark, until they just stopped. I remember howling with laughter when he got diarrhoea.

Father Christmas this thing. I have no idea why they cut it from DR1's annual lineup.

Thlom
Feb 24, 2008

Alhazred posted:

For years me and my sister had a tradition of watching a Nitghmare Before Christmas the night before christmas.
Night before christmas is for decorating the tree and watching dinner for one.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Groke posted:

Eh, Norway too.

i honestly have a hard time getting too het up about this stuff - yule is one of a few common cultural touchstones in this country, and surrendering it to jehovah's witnesses or anyone is seen as a loss of commonality in the name of pluralism

the form it takes is often reactionary and just mean-spirited, but imo the impulse isn't that unreasonable

Thlom
Feb 24, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

i honestly have a hard time getting too het up about this stuff - yule is one of a few common cultural touchstones in this country, and surrendering it to jehovah's witnesses or anyone is seen as a loss of commonality in the name of pluralism

the form it takes is often reactionary and just mean-spirited, but imo the impulse isn't that unreasonable
If a school can include all pupils by just changing a few words in a song or don’t decorate with baby Jesus then I don’t really see the issue.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth

Thlom posted:

If a school can include all pupils by just changing a few words in a song or don’t decorate with baby Jesus then I don’t really see the issue.

It is perhaps the biggest and oldest tradition we got. I’m sentimental enough to feel that we should keep the word. The word isn’t even christian per se. Also I doubt the the people involved, that is the children, get offended. The jehovas witnesses can suck my julgris as well.

I’ll accept the compromise of keeping Jul but dechristianizing it, as it basically already is in large swathes of Scandinavia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
Double post