Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

If nothing else, he is very good at telling his daughter apart from her identical time clone. That is rather impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Macaluso posted:

I as the reader am starting to get a little fatigued at Bad Father Tony
Bad Father Tony is the seinen manga that should not be, yet is.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Capfalcon posted:

If nothing else, he is very good at telling his daughter apart from her identical time clone. That is rather impressive.

Wait I thought it was city Annie talking to him? Can he talk more comfortably with city or forest annie's? I would think city Annie since she has had 6 months to work on him.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Donkringel posted:

Wait I thought it was city Annie talking to him? Can he talk more comfortably with city or forest annie's? I would think city Annie since she has had 6 months to work on him.

Nope he can talk to forest Annie because some part of him treats her as not his daughter.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The reasoning behind why he treats them differently is still speculation. (I think? I could be forgetting something.)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah we don't know for sure what's going on in his head, but as soon as Forest Annie was left alone with him he started joking and they cooked dinner together. It is in fact the page that gave me my avatar:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2091

And that behavior it seems has continued ever since.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dr Subterfuge posted:

The reasoning behind why he treats them differently is still speculation. (I think? I could be forgetting something.)

Yeah, it's speculative. We don't even know how much he knows about the Annies' predicament.

It's entirely possible that he does see Forest Annie as a real Annie, but one from another timeline where some other Tony Carver was the neglectful parent that nearly killed her, and thus didn't have it weighing over him and could comfortably be the kind of father he wants to be. Meanwhile even if he knows Court Annie is also from another timeline by now, he's still been cold and distant to her for most of the last year and know he needs to make up for it but doesn't know how and gets stuck in a vicious cycle of making it worse.

Or it might not be that. We don't get a lot of looks into what he's thinking.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I don't get Annie's hair. Tied up it goes past her shoulders, untied it doesn't?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Capfalcon posted:

Eh, there's six months of lived experience between the two--enough so that F!Annie and C!Annie have differences in style and how they carry themselves. And hair length.

I was friends with a pair of identical twins in high school, and even physically it was easy for me to tell who was who. One of them had a different way of parting her bangs, for instance, and favored different kinds of accessories. There were differences in their humor apparent once you knew them, and the turns of phrase each used. I'd be way more surprised if people close to Annie couldn't tell the two apart. Guards and randos from around the school will get them confused all the time I'm sure.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Reason: he's a bad father :colbert:

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
I mean yeah, the short answer to everything is that Tony is a poo poo dad who should have broken up with Surma before pregnancy instead of believing he could fix things. But he didn't, and he didnt.

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah, it's speculative. We don't even know how much he knows about the Annies' predicament.

It's entirely possible that he does see Forest Annie as a real Annie, but one from another timeline where some other Tony Carver was the neglectful parent that nearly killed her, and thus didn't have it weighing over him and could comfortably be the kind of father he wants to be. Meanwhile even if he knows Court Annie is also from another timeline by now, he's still been cold and distant to her for most of the last year and know he needs to make up for it but doesn't know how and gets stuck in a vicious cycle of making it worse.

Or it might not be that. We don't get a lot of looks into what he's thinking.

I think this is a solid idea and makes sense.

For another perspective based on my own anxiety:
I tend to have bad anxiety dealing with people in general (including family), but sometimes when something is more awkward for someone else, I kind of "get over it" enough to assist the other person. Tony sees how awkward, perplexing, and annoying this situation is for Forest Annie, and it allows him to let his guard down enough to interact with her in a natural way. Yeah, the way he treats Court Annie is awkward and anxiety-inducing for her, but that's been normalized between them for over a decade, and he's the direct cause of it. Forest Annie's doppelganger situation was outside his control.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Rumda posted:

Nope he can talk to forest Annie because some part of him treats her as not his daughter.

Oh gotcha! I had it completely reversed. I understand now, thank you.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Macaluso posted:

I as the reader am starting to get a little fatigued at Bad Father Tony

The comic clearly established that it's Annies fault.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The thought of walking around outside in just socks makes me feel despair

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is no one else going to mention that hideous shade of green lipstick?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

IUG posted:

Is no one else going to mention that hideous shade of green lipstick?

You mean this one? I might have mentioned it at some point since then. I think it's worse because it absolutely does not match the green shirt. The violet color scheme fits better. But Tony was right that she does not really pull that makeup off. Forrest Annie looks better. I guess that's why she's top ten.

Honestly, feeling forced to wear a certain set of make-up is a really bad way to remember your departed mother.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 16, 2020

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
It does look kind of weird now after seeing forest Annie without it for so long, even on page 1.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm not against her makeup, just that color.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

IUG posted:

I'm not against her makeup, just that color.

Yeah, but it's the same color it's always been. Surma wore a bad lipstick color, so poor Annie feels forced to do the same for the rest of her live. She actually forced to reclaim that privilege.
I sort of want to see how that scene happened. I bet it involved a lot of tensed fists.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I appreciate that Tom has been drawing the same makeup kit for 15 years. Annie's got her taste and she won't change it for anyone.

edit: Honestly that's one of things I think is truly special about the comic, is that Tom recalls details other artists would dismiss as unimportant under the general excuse of "they won't notice". It's not important to the comic to draw Annie's makeup kit the exact same as the last time we saw it like ten real life years ago, but what makes Tom unique as a creator is that he does it anyway, because why not. You lose nothing and you gain that little bit of realism or grounding even in a fantastical story. In an age where comic books became well known for [SEE CHAPTER x IN THE AMAZING ANNIE ISSUE y] popups whenever the reader needs to be reminded of something, Gunnerkrigg does not, because the viewer is rewarded naturally for paying attention to the little details.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 16, 2020

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I appreciate that Tom has been drawing the same makeup kit for 15 years. Annie's got her taste and she won't change it for anyone.

It's weird to think that this comic is half as old as I am. Then again, I've been reading it every Mo/We/Fr since chapter 42, which was 2013.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've been legitimately reading Gunnerkrigg since I was a child. I am 26 now and I think I was... 12? 13? When I started reading it? I've come and gone a bit over the years but it was incredibly formative when it comes to my taste in science/fantasy fiction. I remember seeing the first Zimmy chapter in real time and thinking about how there was nothing else like it out there, even as a kid. Riding my bike to the library to check out the newest Gunnerkrigg and Mspaint Adventures comic, etc.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 17, 2020

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I am glad that in the decades there has been progress that does have an effect on the entire setting. And yay no Double Physics anymore.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

CJacobs posted:

edit: Honestly that's one of things I think is truly special about the comic, is that Tom recalls details other artists would dismiss as unimportant under the general excuse of "they won't notice". It's not important to the comic to draw Annie's makeup kit the exact same as the last time we saw it like ten real life years ago, but what makes Tom unique as a creator is that he does it anyway, because why not. You lose nothing and you gain that little bit of realism or grounding even in a fantastical story. In an age where comic books became well known for [SEE CHAPTER x IN THE AMAZING ANNIE ISSUE y] popups whenever the reader needs to be reminded of something, Gunnerkrigg does not, because the viewer is rewarded naturally for paying attention to the little details.

To be fair, Tom also adds in little flashbacks when something relevant from an earlier part in the story comes up.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well sure, but sparingly, and usually when the characters themselves are recalling it. My point was more that keeping track of such tiny details over such a long span is something nobody else really does.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
One Piece is pretty amazing about keeping track of small details and making them relevant again if you are looking for more stories that do that kind of thing well.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I'm bracing for how stark and upsetting the next page is going to be. Feels like there is going to be another Zimmy cutaway.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Wittgen posted:

I'm bracing for how stark and upsetting the next page is going to be. Feels like there is going to be another Zimmy cutaway.

It'll be Tony screaming instead!

madjack
Dec 31, 2013

Wittgen posted:

We have a winner.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
i warned you about stairs zim!!!!!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

that can't be great for her back

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
This is great news avatar material but I kinda want to see her next page too

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I would think that first we are in for a week or two of a conversation between two people that has serious issues lurking under the surface, but ends with one of the people being overly optimistic about it.

Robot and Shadow maybe?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wittgen posted:

I would think that first we are in for a week or two of a conversation between two people that has serious issues lurking under the surface, but ends with one of the people being overly optimistic about it.

Robot and Shadow maybe?

I hope that's the subject of this whole chapter with a Zimmy page between each and there's no denouement. She's just Havin' A Time and there's no explanation given

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I hope that's the subject of this whole chapter with a Zimmy page between each and there's no denouement. She's just Havin' A Time and there's no explanation given

That would be pretty funny. But Zimmy calling for Gamma here makes me think that the Zimmy pages will build into a conversation between the two of them. I could see the dynamic between Zimmy and Gamma serving as a kind of counterpoint to the others.

I dunno. I do love this chapter so far, whatever is actually going on.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

zimmy is allergic to bad vibes

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
really doing the subforum nickname justice here

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CJacobs posted:

It looks to me like she's less having a time and more being given a war hell ride.

Shout out to everyone that gets that.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Wesley Zillis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Loup, you leave Zimmy alone!