Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

Am I the only one who reads "people who didn't file tax returns" as "people who are poor, or indigent, or just turned eighteen"?

No, that's an entirely valid reading of that statistic*. People living off investment income are still filing tax returns.

*This doesn't mean that they actually qualified for CERB, but I can't think of any reason why they shouldn't get in on that action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Crow Buddy posted:

Pretty sure this is it. Not sure where the idea that someone making >$200k isn’t submitting taxes or is ineligible for EI comes from.

Because we desperately want to believe that someone deserving will finally get theirs, as opposed to the CRA cracking down on the lowest hanging fruit, the people who can't afford tax lawyers, etc.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I’m sure the minority liberals will get right on punishing 800,000 high income voters.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Rutibex posted:

i very highly doubt anyone making $200K per year is ineligible for normal EI payments. people at that level get severance pay. no one making that much needed CERB

rich people are not supposed to get UBI. they are supposed to pay it all back at the end of the year in taxes, because they don't need it

regardless of the moral aspects of it, being ineligible for EI isn’t a requirement for qualifying for CERB. you didn’t even have to lose your job to qualify. if you were a contractor for example you could have just had no work coming in during the lockdown.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I’m sure the minority liberals will get right on punishing 800,000 high income voters.

The article does not say that the 800,000 were high income, if anything it's the opposite as others have pointed out.

The national post just threw in that fact at the end about 14,000 high income people receiving CERB in order to arbitrarily connect the two and drum up support for means testing, and if people on here are falling for it I can only imagine it will be even more effective on their boomer readership.

Starks has issued a correction as of 15:54 on Nov 19, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Starks posted:

regardless of the moral aspects of it, being ineligible for EI isn’t a requirement for qualifying for CERB.

yes but wouldn't someone making $200k per year collect more from EI than they would from CERB? you can't collect EI and CERB at the same time

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Speaking of EI, what are the odds that the new EI minimum payment is going to go away as soon as this pandemic wraps up? It was nice to see lower income workers not having to worry about their barely enough to survive income being cut by 45%.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

People love to ignore the fact that CERB is literally the most successful economic injection of cash in my lifetime and it was done by paying the citizens cash. direct.

The Conservatives would've given us a 5$ Petro Can gas voucher and a "tax rebate" at the end of the year while touting "more money in your wallet"

People were obviously going to take advantage of it - so be it. Let the CRA sort it out. If it pressures the CRA with capacity, well now you're a job creator good stuff. Landlords NEEDED to be paid immediately! Why hasn't anyone thought of the Landlords!!??

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
CERB was definitely needed to keep everything from crashing completely and I was hoping it'd just turn into UBI but it's definitely something that should be clawed back at income tax time from people who don't need it. Clawing it back is totally supposed to be the CRAs job.

But that isn't going to happen because we live in the dumbest timeline instead those high income earners aren't going to pay back a dime and we're just going to get more social safety net destroying austerity to make up the difference.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I still wonder to this day if I shouldn't have taken the CERB despite being ineligible for not making enough the year before. So many did, and now we have the numbers to prove it. I just couldn't take the gamble of being hosed by the taxman in the coming years I'm poor as gently caress and in enough debt as it is. If there's one constant in the this universe, it's that poor people always, eventually, get the shaft. Unless the philosophy around capital changes in the next few years, I'm still sure that my poor friends that took the gamble might get hosed, one at a time, in silence, with a nasty government bill to pay back what they "owe".

That extra 2000$ I could have put aside would be extremely welcome right now. Sigh.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Rutibex posted:

yes but wouldn't someone making $200k per year collect more from EI than they would from CERB? you can't collect EI and CERB at the same time

There are a lot of ways to be eligible for CERB but not EI. The biggest one that comes to mind is if you are a contractor/self-employed/business owner who didn't actually lose their job, just had no work/sales coming in. Even for salaried people, they could be eligible for CERB with a high enough reduction in their hours, while that's not the case for EI.
I'm not saying none of those 14,000 were fraudulent and I'm not trying to die on a hill for people that make more money than I ever will, but that little tidbit was slipped into that article for purely nefarious reasons and I think it's intentionally misleading.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Popoto posted:

I still wonder to this day if I shouldn't have taken the CERB despite being ineligible for not making enough the year before. So many did, and now we have the numbers to prove it. I just couldn't take the gamble of being hosed by the taxman in the coming years I'm poor as gently caress and in enough debt as it is. If there's one constant in the this universe, it's that poor people always, eventually, get the shaft. Unless the philosophy around capital changes in the next few years, I'm still sure that my poor friends that took the gamble might get hosed, one at a time, in silence, with a nasty government bill to pay back what they "owe".

That extra 2000$ I could have put aside would be extremely welcome right now. Sigh.

Word of advice, when it comes to the CRA, do not "gently caress around and find out". If you have to even consider the consequences, you are too poor to be loving with the CRA. They will get their money from you and the less you have the more it's going to cost you in interest in penalties to pay it back.

I don't begrudge anyone for taking CERB benefits, least of all the destitute, but if you have enough to get by on, and don't actually qualify for CERB, you're going to end up paying it back and then some.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

infernal machines posted:

Word of advice, when it comes to the CRA, do not "gently caress around and find out". If you have to even consider the consequences, you are too poor to be loving with the CRA. They will get their money from you and the less you have the more it's going to cost you in interest in penalties to pay it back.

I don't begrudge anyone for taking CERB benefits, least of all the destitute, but if you have enough to get by on, and don't actually qualify for CERB, you're going to end up paying it back and then some.

Exactly my thought process back then. I'm actually planning to emigrate to a poorer, less costly country anyway, where my fiancee lives, and having to deal with financial poo poo like this before going away was of no interest to me. I'll try my luck someplace else.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Rutibex posted:

ei maxes out at just over 500 a week so not really. also like, i am well above average income but have collected cerb because my ei did not last the 9 months ive been out of work

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Popoto posted:

Pretty much every one of my homeless clients took CERB and I can't blame a one of them. I generally advised them not to because I don't want to see them get hosed in the future, but what's the future to someone who can't afford rent or food?

Institute UBI and claw it back at tax time if someone made too much; it's simpler, cheaper to monitor, and fairer than means-testing.

Cold on a Cob posted:

i had an acquaintance trying to encourage me to use my corporation to borrow 10k and just pay back the minimum later i.e. free 2.5k iirc. obvs i didn't do it because i'm not a bastard like that.

i'm sure there was a shitload of fraud with that program too.

hope cra goes after those fraudsters too but i don't expect they will since the banks were administrating that program
poo poo, my accountant tried to get me to do this. And this is the guy I switched to because my previous accountant kept trying to get me to take out life insurance on my kids because I could convert it into something something (and also MNP kept overcharging me).

I have a rule that if I, a reasonably intelligent financial layperson, cannot understand this financial trickery in less than 30 seconds, it's unnecessarily complicated and possibly unethical. I don't need the extra money and I certainly can't be hosed to do the extra paperwork. That's why I have an accountant! To reduce the amount of paperwork and stress in my life!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i think your accountant was offering to do the paperwork for you, so you could both share the free government money

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
just got my flu shot was hard to find one better late than never

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Took bloody forever but finally the BCNDP are doing the bare minimum.

https://twitter.com/bcgovnews/status/1329583913665142784?s=21

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
how has doug mccallum not gotten offed by covid yet he seemed pretty sickly even before all this kicked off

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

Am I the only one who reads "people who didn't file tax returns" as "people who are poor, or indigent, or just turned eighteen"?

No, that's the correct reading. There's also people who don't file because they distrust the government, either because they're conspiracy kooks or because they or their family were placed in residential schools. Generally, people who don't file aren't dodging taxes, they're actually paying more by losing out on entitlements. The 800,000 people mentioned probably needed it!

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I don’t get how you can ban yoga classes but not team sports or school but hey what do I know

prediction nothing will change as school and private gatherings seem to be where it’s spreading

Thoth!
Apr 28, 2014

Saskatchewan posted:

Moe added that there are thousands of Saskatchewan residents and families still recovering from the economic burden of the first lockdown.

Thanks Moe you fat gently caress I'm glad the economy can recover safely. Man wouldn't it be fuckin WILD if we had some sort of organization we gave money to every year that could support those residents and families through a lockdown?!

I'm so loving mad I bothered voting in provincial elections this year

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
pay me to stay home you cowards and dont stop until the virus is gone. then build a wall.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Reality Protester posted:

pay me to stay home you cowards and dont stop until the virus is gone. then build a wall.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
sorry if this is controversial but personally i think it's good that people who needed money during an emergency were able to get it without means testing

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
somebody should photoshop pallisters head on drew carey on the set of whose line and put the text "Welcome to Manitoba where the restrictions are made-up and stopping the spread of COVID doesn't matter"

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
lmao

https://twitter.com/mbalazo/status/1329916803087216642?s=20

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

gently caress that makes me feel way better about being nearly that old

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Imagine how he'll look when he's 60!

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
He could be our very own Patrick Stewart!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Donairs do rule though

I had donair poutine today and it was the bomb.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

priznat posted:

he looks almost exactly the same as my 75 year old dad

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I live very close to Halifax donair but I don't know where to get one of those bibs

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Duck Rodgers posted:

I live very close to Halifax donair but I don't know where to get one of those bibs

That's a basic rear end napkin, dude just unfolded it entirely. They are not useful at catching anything at that level, the material basically melts at contact with any moisture lol.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

...it's a napkin

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Sinkhole filled with glowing green liquid found in middle of Toronto street

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Reality Protester posted:

Duck Rodgers posted:

Oh they are opening a franchise of King of Donair here in Cow Town I hope its as good as the one on pizza corner

priznat posted:

Makes me feel great about being older!

Bilirubin has issued a correction as of 07:14 on Nov 21, 2020

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

There's some really low spots along Dundas where this sinkhole is, wouldn't be surprised it's naturally occurring. Gonna be some neon trees next spring.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Canadian ninja turtles coming named Lismer, Varley, Johnston and Casson.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
their rat master is named braydyn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Time to grab some straws. Who wants in?