Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Taima posted:

The CPU is a 5800x
The motherboard is an x570 Aorus Master (rev. 1.1/1.2) with the F31h beta bios which was released at the end of October. There's a newer BIOS that just came out, but it only lists adding SAM as a new feature and nothing else...

I actually am trying to manually adjust the memory timings but it's kind of freaking me out honestly. It looks most people recommend that you download Thaiphoon Burner to see what kind of RAM you have, but my Malwarebytes is flagging it as a trojan. I grabbed the DRAM Calculator for Ryzen but it doesn't seem to have Zen 3 yet (though maybe that's ok?)

My RAM is the Crucial Ballistix listed here that is very often recommended in this forum:
https://www.newegg.com/ballistix-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820164174?Item=N82E16820164174

Do you have a suggested resource on where to start with this? I can't go around downloading sketchy programs, as I do work on this computer often.

Yeah hang on. I have that exact same RAM as you, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083TSLDF2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which is Micron E-die. you can check the binning by visually looking it but I guarantee it's an A2 bin. I wouldn't use DRAM Calculator for primary timings, it's really best for Samsung b-die afaik.

The main thing is first getting a stable frequency with at 1:1, you can almost certainly push it to 3600 (1800) easily, assuming you want to, from there it's a matter of dialing in some primary timings tighter and then once those are set, work on the secondary timings (you can try the DRAM Calculator for secondary timings).

A good starting point is this: https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/master/DDR4%20OC%20Guide.md#finding-a-baseline. Set DRAM Voltage to 1.4, VSoc to 1.1, use 16-20-20-40-16 on the primary timings, under "Tweaker" tab set your Memory multiplier to 36 (or 32), then go under AMD OC Settings and set your MCLCK to 1800 mhz and your FCLCK to 1800mhz (3600 ram essentially; or you just want to stick with 3200 then use 1600 on both). Also make sure to disable spread spectrum on Tweaker tab (I just fix my CPU base clock to 100.00 mhz). I would also say you can pretty much just jump straight to using the DRAM Calculator settings for CAD BUS and ProcODT, which for me is just 48 ohms on ProcODT, 24-24-24-24 ohms on all the CAD BUS.

From there use something like TestMem5 (they have a link on that site at the top) or Karhu memory test and get 14 cycles or like 8000% of RAM tested using Karhu Memory Test. If that's stable, now you can see if you can push some of your primary timings down a bit, or if you're just happy with that, try using some of the secondary timings that DRAM Calc gives you.

E: THis thread is also very helpful: https://www.overclock.net/threads/gigabyte-x570-aorus-owners-thread.1728360/page-532#post-28651705 Lots of people have also played around with a lot of VDDP / VDDG settings.

I've got a Gigabyte Aouros Elite so you can also message me on Discord: Xaris#8881

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I think our RAM is definitely similar but mine is rated at 3600 vs 3200 on your linked RAM, is that a concern in terms of differentiation on the physical properties or is it the same thing?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Taima posted:

I think our RAM is definitely similar but mine is rated at 3600 vs 3200 on your linked RAM, is that a concern in terms of differentiation on the physical properties or is it the same thing?

Oh right I missed that, i thought you had the 3200mhz version like me. You can also take a look at the serial number on the RAM but I still 99% guarantee it's Micron e-die. And it's going to be Dual Rank.

Here's what I'd suggest as a starting point:

If that's stable, then use the secondary timings recommended.
Key things:
Spread Spectrum Disabled (or fix your BCLCK to a value) (Tweaker Tab)
FCLCK 1800 (AMD OC tab)
MCLCK 1800 (AMD OC tab)
SOC/Uncore Enable (AMD OC tab)
VSOC Voltage 1.1 (AMD OC Tab)
VDDP/VDDG Voltage (AMD OC Tab)
Memory Multiplier 36 (Tweaker Tab)
All timings set using Tweaker Tab

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 19, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

jesus christ AMD users put up with a bunch of fiddly bullshit

like... I will be too, eventually, once Zen 3 is actually in stock. but how is this poo poo a thing in 2020?

Motherboard vendors keep loving up whatever AMD sends them. See all the B450 boards that were so tight on bios flash that they had to cut features out or drop support for zen 1 when zen 2 came out.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

hobbesmaster posted:

Motherboard vendors keep loving up whatever AMD sends them. See all the B450 boards that were so tight on bios flash that they had to cut features out or drop support for zen 1 when zen 2 came out.

Does your AMD system randomly take 2 - 5 minutes to boot, when you haven't replaced memory? What board and ram is it?

Griz
May 21, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

jesus christ AMD users put up with a bunch of fiddly bullshit

like... I will be too, eventually, once Zen 3 is actually in stock. but how is this poo poo a thing in 2020?

isn't that only a thing when it's having RAM issues? I haven't had any problems with 3600/B450 besides wasting half an hour assembling it because I had the monitor cable connected to the motherboard's video-out instead of the GPU.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Yeah my mew 5800X/B550 Aorus Pro system has been the total opposite of a fussy bitch. Easiest PC I ever put together. Just flashed it to the new BIOS before installing the CPU. If anything it made my old i5 build seem like a pain in the rear end tbh

XMP with Crucial Ballistix was just plug & play with no wierd poo poo. POST was never anything but fast as all hell.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 19, 2020

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Same with my Aorus Pro wifi x550. Fast post, fast everything, no fiddly poo poo. Been running since day one with not a single crash and I leave my stuff on for months at a time. Nice. Im sure placebo but I am more stable than with my older Intel board.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

No long POSTs here, either - Aorus Elite x570.

The only problems I have had were with a beta BIOS months ago, which resolved when I dropped it back a version. I realized last week that I apparently updated my BIOS again some time in October but I have no recollection of doing it, presumably because it went so smoothly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Does your AMD system randomly take 2 - 5 minutes to boot, when you haven't replaced memory? What board and ram is it?

My original b450 tomahawk had some issues like that, I’m not using that board anymore and haven’t had any issues with the x570 gaming that weren’t clearly due to config changes.

Yes I’m a dummy for buying an MSI part to replace a MSI part I wasn’t particularly happy with, but my micro center had it for so cheap!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Mine doesn't do that :shrug:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

FuturePastNow posted:

Mine does that any time I clear CMOS or make any adjustment at all to memory. Otherwise it's reasonably quick, but still slower than my X99 board.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Xaris posted:

Oh right I missed that, i thought you had the 3200mhz version like me. You can also take a look at the serial number on the RAM but I still 99% guarantee it's Micron e-die. And it's going to be Dual Rank.

Here's what I'd suggest as a starting point:

Dude you loving rule. Thank you! I am not 100% sure I can get to this tonight but I will try my best and certainly get it done tomorrow if not! Cheers.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

FuturePastNow posted:

Mine doesn't either, or I'd just replace it. The poster I'm quoting mentioned Ryzen mobos have a tendency to do that at random. I havent seen it in 5 of them so far and wondered what the fault was.

I've seen them reboot due to memory training on a first boot but randomly.. is that a thing?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 19, 2020

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

DrDork posted:

Mine does that any time I clear CMOS or make any adjustment at all to memory. Otherwise it's reasonably quick, but still slower than my X99 board.

Ah, well I suppose it happens if the thing thinks the memory has changed. I try not to mess with hardware too much once I'm happy with it. I actually disable "fast boot" options to make it easier to get in to the EFI or whatever when necessary. The X570 system isn't slower at boot up than any other computer I've used in the last 5 years.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Maybe it’s time to upgrade from this B450 then. :v:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

The only issue I've had with my B450 system is that a lot of times hitting restart results in a full power down. It seemed to resolve when I updated chipset/BIOS but has returned now. But I don't restart too often so it's not a huge deal.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
If I decide to move on from my i5-7600k to a 5600x, what all do I need to replace on my computer?

I know I need a new motherboard (https://www.microcenter.com/product/608574/asus-x570-tuf-gaming-plus-(wifi)-amd-am4-atx-motherboard) but do I need anything else? My RAM and all that jazz will still work the same, right?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Chaitai posted:

If I decide to move on from my i5-7600k to a 5600x, what all do I need to replace on my computer?

I know I need a new motherboard (https://www.microcenter.com/product/608574/asus-x570-tuf-gaming-plus-(wifi)-amd-am4-atx-motherboard) but do I need anything else? My RAM and all that jazz will still work the same, right?

A new motherboard, as you said, and you should look to see if whatever CPU cooler you have has AM4 mounting hardware that you haven't thrown out. Otherwise you'll need replacement hardware or a new cooler (or you can slum it with the one the 5600X comes with if you don't care too much about noise).

RAM, drives, PSU, etc., will all carry over and work fine.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Chaitai posted:

Ryzen likes faster RAM for IF, your RAM might hold the processor back if it's running at 2133 or something.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice

pixaal posted:

Ryzen likes faster RAM for IF, your RAM might hold the processor back if it's running at 2133 or something.

I have 2 pairs of Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz.

Will Windows and all transfer over or will I need to reinstall everything? This will be my first time replacing a CPU/MB without just buying a new computer, so I'm a little lost at how all this will work.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Chaitai posted:

Will Windows and all transfer over or will I need to reinstall everything? This will be my first time replacing a CPU/MB without just buying a new computer, so I'm a little lost at how all this will work.

It's ideal to reinstall but when I put my 2500k's drive in to copy files over my 3700x booted into windows 10 no problem at all. I wasn't willing to trust it so I didn't do much testing but it sure seemed to behave properly.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Another data point: I had a 2500k and couldn't boot without reinstalling windows on my old drive when swapping to a 5800x.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Chaitai posted:

Doesn't hurt to try, just make a backup if you are really concerned and then try plugging the drive, windows has gotten pretty resilient these days.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Another data point: I had a 2500k and couldn't boot without reinstalling windows on my old drive when swapping to a 5800x.

5820k to 5600X here, but same. Windows sat at the "Repairing Windows" screen for a good while one time, and then after that I couldn't get it to even get that far.

Basically you can give it a try and see if it gracefully picks everything up, but I'd be prepared to reinstall Windows.

If you need to do so, I'd recommend selecting the option that keeps your previous install on disk, because a lot of your app settings and configurations are going to be stored in %AppData% and being able to drag those over to your new install will save you a lot of time and hassle when setting everything back up.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
You can also do an in-place upgrade if you are worried about Windows not quite being installed correctly: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

However, there may be a bug if you are currently on the latest version of Windows that may not be fixed until next month: https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/11/15/windows-10-in-place-upgrade-bug-means-you-can-longer-keep-your-files/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Anecdotes:

* I upgraded from an Intel Xeon 2430v2 to a Ryzen 5 2400G and Windows picked it up without a hitch on the first try.

* I helped my brother upgrade from an Athlon X4 860K (on the FM2+ platform, basically a Bulldozer APU without the iGPU) to an Athlon 200GE (AM4) and he had to reboot the system exactly three times before Windows would boot properly. He said he found this time somewhere on the internet.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I think part of the PCG experience is having in many cases to run the Windows Repair method for the OS installation...

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Pollyanna posted:

I’ve learned not to try to clean dust out from my PC at least.

Buy some teensy vac attachments and an adapter for your regular vacuum tube (I'm assuming you have one with a detachable tube already) for this and just vacuum it out without taking anything apart.

Obviously you want to turn it off first and pull the power plug though.

There are specialized vacuums just for cleaning dust out of PC's too but I don't think they're worth the money really.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Obviously you want to turn it off first and pull the power plug though.

What? No. You leave it plugged in, but switched off at the PSU. Pump the front panel power switch a few times to help clear any latent charge from any capacitors. ESPECIALLY if you're that concerned. The power plug provides a ground.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 19, 2020

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What? No. You leave it plugged in, but switched off at the PSU. Pump the front panel power switch a few times to help clear any latent charge from any capacitors. ESPECIALLY if you're that concerned. The power plug provides a ground.

This ain’t the 90s gramps.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

ijyt posted:

This ain’t the 90s gramps.

While technically true, electrical wiring also hasn't really changed since the 90's. Or the 60's, for that matter. A plugged in PSU will ground the case, and if you're messing around with a vacuum you can potentially build up enough static to make a little zap or two--probably not, unless it's really dusty / filled with cat hair or something, but there's no cost here for the extra safety.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DrDork posted:

While technically true, electrical wiring also hasn't really changed since the 90's. Or the 60's, for that matter. A plugged in PSU will ground the case, and if you're messing around with a vacuum you can potentially build up enough static to make a little zap or two--probably not, unless it's really dusty / filled with cat hair or something, but there's no cost here for the extra safety.

better wear a grounding bracelet while holding the vacuum just to be safe

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You absolutely leave it plugged in so the inevitable static discharge from the vacuum (probably don't use a vacuum) hits the ground.

Also, to the guy who "messed up" his PC cleaning out dust and "cleaning" his CPU. You know there's youtube videos on how to do anything, right? 5 minutes of "research" would have saved you hours of time.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I was always taught to unplug from mains when doing stuff inside the case of anything electrical, and I've been dust vacing out PC's for actual decades now without a issue, so it seems pretty weird that its now considered 'bad' to do so but OK whatever

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Chaitai posted:

I went from a 6600k to a new Ryzen on X570 and didn't have to reinstall or anything. A couple reboots and motherboard drive installations and I was good to go. This was on an NVMe boot drive SSD, fwiw. I even had a set of mirrored windows storage spaces mechanical drives and that was recognized no problem.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I was always taught to unplug from mains when doing stuff inside the case of anything electrical, and I've been dust vacing out PC's for actual decades now without a issue, so it seems pretty weird that its now considered 'bad' to do so but OK whatever

I don't remember having a computer with an off switch on the power supply until around 2006, if you can't turn it off at the PSU unplug it, live power is not what you want. Pushing the power button should do nothing. So maybe they just weren't common or they wanted it to apply to all situations.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I absolutely just rebuilt my entire PC with my new 5600x and turned it on... then realized I had forgotten to update the BIOS & do not have a board that can flash without a CPU.

And just like the guy last night, the mobo backplate that the fan screws into fell in, so I need to disassemble the entire thing again.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If you're worried about electrocuting yourself, like you are when working inside a lot of appliances or other electrical items, then yeah, absolutely. But a PC PSU should have a physical power switch that you can turn off, and even if you accidentally tripped it on, it's not going to do much that's problematic. Your toaster or washing machine turning on when you don't expect them may be a little more of an issue, hence the cause for safety.

I mean, it's not likely that static from vacuuming some dust out for 10 seconds is going to do anything either way, let's be clear. But leaving it plugged in is safer from a static shock perspective than unplugging it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DrDork posted:

If you're worried about electrocuting yourself, like you are when working inside a lot of appliances or other electrical items, then yeah, absolutely. But a PC PSU should have a physical power switch that you can turn off, and even if you accidentally tripped it on, it's not going to do much that's problematic. Your toaster or washing machine turning on when you don't expect them may be a little more of an issue, hence the cause for safety.

I mean, it's not likely that static from vacuuming some dust out for 10 seconds is going to do anything either way, let's be clear. But leaving it plugged in is safer from a static shock perspective than unplugging it.

It's about avoiding that 0.0001% chance.