Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

TeeQueue posted:

They're vaguely person sized, I'm just bad at art. :v:

Just explain it away by saying Bishop's just short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

TeeQueue posted:

I will hit you again.
And you would deserve it. :mad:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Hey TeeQueue, just curious - how much of the story did you plan before starting the LP and how much is planned to the end? This amount of writing is a lot of work.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Black Robe posted:

Hey TeeQueue, just curious - how much of the story did you plan before starting the LP and how much is planned to the end? This amount of writing is a lot of work.

Hoo boy. I'm not sure how much of this is killing the magic so I'll spoiler the lot of it just in case. The nature of this LP's characters meant that I had some ideas, "agent who quickly becomes clearly nuts," "ZE consciousness warper," etc, but no real ideas where to put them. I wasn't even sure X would get a face or lines-though to be fair given how important X is to the plot of lobcorp itself that would have been difficult to do without. I basically worked on fleshing those out as I went.

The game itself really doesn't lend well to 'planning' since soo much of we see is basically random. :lobcorp: I've gotten hilariously (un?)lucky with our ordeal spawns and abnormality options, and they've let me do some neat story things. Mostly, within the days I'm just reacting unless I'm doing an overarching narrative bit like the counseling sessions or whatnot. As for stuff like what happened with Bishop, sometimes I just feel like doing cool stuff. The entire reason for this plot is because of EnragedBullfrog, who requested an agent named Bullfrog and gave the note of Make the agent look absolutely identical to another agent in the same department, then do with that setup what you will.

When this happens, I sort of figure out how I want it to end, and then push things towards that while making sure to incorporate anything in plot I can think of to make it happen. I had the endpoint planned out as early as day 18, but the full scope of what a Bullfrog was, where it came from, and how Bishop knew to use it was basically figured out as I go. It feels pretty similar to coming up with stuff on the fly when GMing a ttrpg, which I've done a fair bit of. :v:

At this point I have a mission/suppression pathway from now until the end, know which days will be dealing with which problems, and know the final line of the LP is going to be-but I don't have any idea about the little stuff between here and there.

TL;DR summary: I planned all the parts except the parts I didn't and a tremendous amount of this LP has been throwing things at the wall that I think are cool and hoping they land.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

:stare: ...shine on, you crazy diamond.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I read the spoilers, don't regret it. Keep up the good work TeeQueue (but also, of course, if it becomes horrible, take a break.)

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I absolutely love that I immediately recognize the spray paint tool from MS paint. Also that Malkuth has gotten more than one bouquet of flowers from (presumably) Bishop.

Not gonna lie, I would love to be in a ttrpg campaign run by you TQ.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I love that the monitor still has the smiley face drawn on it by Mr. Black. X, clean your drat equipment. Especially now that it has blood on it.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Evil Kit posted:

I absolutely love that I immediately recognize the spray paint tool from MS paint. Also that Malkuth has gotten more than one bouquet of flowers from (presumably) Bishop.

Are you assuming that nobody but Bishop would give flowers to the best Sephiroth in the entire facility?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Oh, I did not see that coming. Thought for certain something else would've been used here for this bit.

Nevertheless, I like it.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
So the Bishop issue has been resolved with the manager (X? A? X=A? XA? What do we even use for a name now?) in a positive fashion.
I do not see how this is “everything goes to poo poo”, so either that was a fake-out or something really out of the blue is going to ruin things come the next layer.

EnragedBullfrog
Feb 15, 2014
Oh man. When I submitted that agent premise, it was solely because I thought you could probably spin a pretty funny joke out of an agent whose Thing is looking exactly like somebody else. (I also didn't realize how comically inconvenient that would be gameplay-wise at the time.)

The fact that my dumb idea lead to this is absolutely magical. I know I'm just another voice in the chorus at this point - it's why I haven't posted up 'til now - but this LP and thread are both absolutely superb.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

the Orb of Zot posted:

I do not see how this is “everything goes to poo poo”, so either that was a fake-out or something really out of the blue is going to ruin things come the next layer.

If the pattern follows from previous "next time in lobcorp..." statements, isn't the shitsublimation slated to take place in the next post in the narrative timeline? If so then it would apply to "Day 36 Story(and/or)Gameplay", but this was "Day 35 Supplemental" which seems to be how TeeQueue designates segments that are either recap/infodumps or pure LP-fluff and have no connection to the game's script/etc.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Yeah, that’s the point. Something is going to throw everything for a loop and I have no idea what it could be.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

the Orb of Zot posted:

Yeah, that’s the point. Something is going to throw everything for a loop and I have no idea what it could be.

Given we just wrapped up the middle layer's missions? I would say we were due for another round of Core Suppressions; except as previously stated, we can't do those on a Repository day.

Xenav
Feb 21, 2012

After what we've seen, we're going to need more than THAT to save us...
By the looks of things, we're going to see a new department for day 36, along with (my honest guess) some new recruits, and prep ourselves for more core suppressions. we did promise to kill a robot child a few days back.

Aside from that, unless something REALLY wrong happens during the day... 36 should be a chill down day.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

That’s the point: memory repository days don’t allow for core suppressions so Tiphereth A’s existential crisis and hopes that we permanently destroy Tiphereth B so his degeneration and cycle of replacement can end before there’s nothing left won’t be dealt with until Day 37.
You don’t get the proper introduction to a department and the Sephirah in charge of it until the day after it’s first opened, so day 37.
We are going to be dealing with a new ALEPH, but at this point I don’t really see how a regular new ALEPH is going to be impossible to handle in a facility that dealt with the nastiest ordeal in the game and the big superboss of abnormalities with zero deaths each. (Seriously I think the biggest threat to the faculty so far was Malkuth; nothing else forced more than one reset)

Whatever happens day 36, it’s going to be very out of the ordinary for “everything goes to poo poo” to be applicable.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Xenav posted:

By the looks of things, we're going to see a new department for day 36, along with (my honest guess) some new recruits, and prep ourselves for more core suppressions. we did promise to kill a robot child a few days back.

Aside from that, unless something REALLY wrong happens during the day... 36 should be a chill down day.

the Orb of Zot posted:

That’s the point: memory repository days don’t allow for core suppressions so Tiphereth A’s existential crisis and hopes that we permanently destroy Tiphereth B so his degeneration and cycle of replacement can end before there’s nothing left won’t be dealt with until Day 37.
You don’t get the proper introduction to a department and the Sephirah in charge of it until the day after it’s first opened, so day 37.

What [everything] means is subjective, especially given the difference between a first-person experience of The poo poo vs third-person observer's perspective.

So my guess is: due to finishing Gebura+Chesed's missions it's about time for another round of dramatic twists/reminders that "A is for Atrocity" and that LC is still written as horror game even if this LP is supposed to be more upbeat, leading to a bit of a managerial meltdown. :v:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Plot twist: nothing will happen at all and everyone will spend the entire day on edge waiting for the shoe to drop before someone snaps under the tension.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the Orb of Zot posted:

Whatever happens day 36, it’s going to be very out of the ordinary for “everything goes to poo poo” to be applicable.

You only need to let the wrong spinning plate fall once for things to go out of control...

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

MiiNiPaa posted:

Are you assuming that nobody but Bishop would give flowers to the best Sephiroth in the entire facility?

I'm not assuming. It's totally true.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

If EGO gifts can only be used by person they were given to, does that mean we could go full evil and develop a DRM technology based on Abnormalities?

sorcrane
Jul 30, 2017

Birds with beautiful wings! Gather on the battlefield and take flight!
Don't worry, the system didn't actually glitch! It's just not used to picking up the Bishop MHz frequency band, that's all.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

:five: even though my brain can’t parse that picture

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I honestly have no words other than I will always look forward to whatever you post sorcrane. Seriously amazing and inspiring as well, guess I know what I'm doing on my day off. Question, are you doing this in MSpaint or another better art program?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Aha, the truth is out! Bishop is actually a nickname. His real name is Bishonen, and the collective thirst keeps him in this world.

sorcrane
Jul 30, 2017

Birds with beautiful wings! Gather on the battlefield and take flight!

Evil Kit posted:

I honestly have no words other than I will always look forward to whatever you post sorcrane. Seriously amazing and inspiring as well, guess I know what I'm doing on my day off. Question, are you doing this in MSpaint or another better art program?

Thank you! More art is always excellent food, looking forward.

MSpaint is fantastic and I've scribbled my fair share in it, but I'm doing this in Procreate on an iPad! I just replaced my nine-year-old tablet with it a couple months ago and I'm new to Procreate, so a lot of these drawings are me going "hey that's a neat-looking brush!"...but it's a different brush every time, which is why nothing I've uploaded has been drawn in a consistent style. Whoops.

This thread just gives me a lot of ideas. For example, Malkuth and the rest of the core suppressed now look like boxes, and that makes me think of Tetris (or would it be Coretris?). I usually end up scribbling doodles during the day:

and then I kick them over to Procreate to actually draw them. Here's my Day 36 prediction!

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

Prediction: There is nothing wrong with Tiphereth, he is fine. it's Tiphereth that's mentally broken. she can't handle that Tiphereth is here, maybe she saw (or thought she saw) him die, so him being there, is crashing her. Angela consider her to important/actual Tiphereth.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Day 36: Story

Music: story 3 ending

I hope you enjoyed your trip. Did you know that a lot has been happening while you’ve been gone? Honestly, it wasn’t so hard to keep the company running while you were absent.

This is a unique choice-we have to go through all 3 before things will progress.

>What's happening outside?

The Wings are still flapping towards their sun, not realizing their feathers are of wax. Our other company branches still provide a steady supply of energy without any major incident so far. In the Backstreets, the likes of Sweepers and Fixers live out their lives tangled in vomit and waste, unraveling their sickening tales. Those who live in the Outskirts are still crying out to break into the city. Meanwhile, those within the city are throwing their lives away, just to be part of the Wings. Yes, the world hasn’t changed at all since you left. Peaceful as ever.

>How many cycles have we gone through so far?

It’s natural for you to be curious, but numbers are of little importance to us.

>Moving forward, what’s going to happen?

Things that no one else can.

This is where the questions end, and no matter what order they're viewed in things carry on.

The sands of the hourglass will begin flowing to the bottom soon; a countdown. As you have already experienced, there have been many countdowns in our world. Spurred for both destruction and new beginnings… It seems I tend to smile more frequently during these moments.

There are still things you haven't realized yet. Let me give you a little hint: “For what reason did you go through all the trouble of making this monstrous and horrifying prison…?”

In time, I hope you will be able to find the answer to that on your own. I cannot help you with it, otherwise, this place would lose its meaning as a prison.

I don’t think you need any sort of explanation regarding them. However, let’s make one thing clear. They truly have missed you while you were gone.

In summary: Angela tells us that the world is still a crapsack, that we've been through way more loops than we should mention, and that we're on a timer. She also lets us know that she can't tell us why we're doing all of this or else there'd be no meaning to it, and that we'll be meeting the Lower Sephirot-who apparently may already know we're A.

(Chesed previous story: 1, 2, 3, 4)

Music: When it Rains

It’s quiet, isn’t it? Take a good, long look at this silence. Manager, have you ever gotten up early to walk the streets at the crack of dawn? I think this moment right now is equivalent to that dawn in the outside world.

Meanwhile, the employees are steeling themselves for when fate decides whatever will happen to them. When the level of Deterrence is weakened, the powers of the suppressed origins will soon wake them. It’s always so hard to believe that a place as quiet as this will just as soon be engulfed by pandemonium. Oh, how nice it would be to keep this tranquility… How many times do we have to fail? How much more must we be accustomed to the darkness, to finally encounter the light?

Ah, yes~ Good morning, buddy~ Good luck with your duties as always~

:v: Mister Chesed, sir, I’ve been thinking, and I feel that I truly am lucky to be assigned to the Welfare Team. Just getting into Lobotomy Corporation was really competitive, but being assigned to this team, it’s like a miracle.

…..You know brown-nosing won’t gain you anything.

:v: Just think of it as flattery, sir. There really is no one who cares more about their employees like you do, Chesed, sir. I mean, just look at the department on the other side of our Layer.

….Nah, that’s not necessarily true.

:v: I just want to say I appreciate you and the many things you do, sir. Sorry for keeping you so long, I’ll be going now, Chesed, sir.

Aye, aye. Go get yourself ready for the day~

……..

For many days, I consoled myself by saying that I wasn’t doing that bad for a Sephirah. I never put my employees on the verge of death like a certain red-clad miss someone did, and I managed to be flexible with various situations most of the time. Getting mad at someone for breaking a rule or two, or agreeing with someone who claimed to make this place better… When I take a step back and look at it all, I just can’t help but think…

Of course, I hoped to send them off in peace as they were just meant to die anyways. Meanwhile, I was hiding the biggest lie of all inside. Yet I’ve been playing the role of the good leader, knowing that it was all a falsehood. Lady Angela knew this too.

Well, I mean… I just wanted to avoid pushing her buttons. Working as the head of the Welfare Department, I actually never cared about the welfare of our employees at all. I was so afraid.

Then I eventually decided to cover my eyes and ears… And help Lady Angela with her affairs without questioning them…

*Alarm sound*

I don’t know what happened, but we need to retake control of the situation right now.

….I thought you didn’t want to speak with me. What’s gotten into you Gebura?

…..You’re able to control the Deterrence, aren’t you? We need to increase the level of Qliphoth Deterrence right now. Angela will call the Rabbits if the rest of the Abnormalities aren’t suppressed. I want to wrap things up on my side of the facility.

So you don’t want to do it. You little coward. Do you really think you can just get over every situation by going through the motions?

Choke on those sugar-coated words your employees feed you.

….........

You knew I was coming, didn’t you? Seems you know me all too well. Perhaps you are the one who understands me most among our Sephirot.

What do you have up your sleeve this time, ma’am?

Do you want to ask for reasons again? After all this time?

…Gebura and the other employees are fighting right now. You know that, right?

Indeed, Gebura is—

You should know. You’ve seen her for yourself. Gebura has failed to control her enmity, and has now lost her way. What I’m saying is, she is not fighting for some grand ideology.

She should know best how she stands. Everyone has their own battle in this place… But I can’t seem to shake off this feeling that I’m the only one who just observes this situation from afar, not taking any action.

Taking in a cup of coffee, enjoying the peaceful day listening to your classical music. I would think that I am providing the right environment for you, no? It seems our conversation has run on longer than I expected. Let me tell you one last time.

Fade to black.

Music: Smokey Lounge Jazz Combo (through an old timey record player filter)

Open the door.

Who are you, ma’am?

Your taste in music is rather classy. Quite different from mine, however.

What the……….

*GLASS BREAKING*

How did you get inside? Do I know you? …

I’ve arrived from the Head. I was so desperately looking for you all. The reason why I came all the way here is… Well, let’s just say I have showed up to play my favorite music.

Music: Awake in Death

:v: D-Daniel… His name is Daniel…

Daniel is it? That name carries much more with it than you merit. I would assume that you are the one in charge of this place. Open that section where those monsters of yours are locked up. As you saw just a moment ago, it’s nothing for me to open a locked door with my own power.

I urge you not to resist. Just listen to me. If you do so, a few of these people might be able to escape with their lives, no?

However, one never really knows what it feels like to be the target of such a thing until they’ve been in the shoes of that situation. Back then, a chill had come over my entire body. It was a fear I had never felt before. I had faced numerous experiment-intended Abnormalities, yet I never had experienced my body being paralyzed and my blood curdling in such a way before. So this is the “Head”.

Don’t try and make me justify my cowardly acts. I’m ashamed for consoling myself, saying that there was nothing to be done after passing straight through the tunnel of defeat. I’m so struck with shame and grief, I can’t bear it anymore…

I don’t want to undertake dirty work for Angela’s show, or be a puppet who gets praise and applause from everyone. Nor do I want to be your “aide” who can’t do a single thing. All of this has been a series of shame for me.

“Saying there was ‘nothing I could do.’ That I was ‘too scared’ to bear it by myself. That ‘I wanted to save’ at least a few of my coworkers…”

“All those are meaningless excuses…”

“I think I’m going to die soon too…”

“The Head is on its way to get you…”

“............”

“I’ll see you again in hell… A, sir…”

How many people would stick to their beliefs and morals, if they were to come face to face with a true nightmare? The answers to those questions are why no one can blame Daniel’s behaviour.

Our last conversation came to an end with a hopeless silence. Daniel. He was intelligent and held a high social position, and showed more finesse than anyone else in our research lab. He had an excellent reputation from the people who surrounded him; he had his sly yet charming smile and humor. It would have been easy for him to get into any one of the Wings with his skills and personality.

Though amazing he once was, there is no doubt he died in despair and regret, cursing his choice. Seeing the dead bodies of his coworkers strewn about in front of him… Not even having the single comfort of knowing that it wasn’t his fault. Unable to find any peace for his final rest…

Music: Boss Warning

In summary: Chesed confesses that he's just going through the motions and trying to stay above it all, letting himself be Angela's puppet. Suddenly, there's an emergency and Abnormalities are loose. Gebura shows up and demands Chesed turn up the Deterrence, he declines, and she runs off to deal with the problem. Angela shows up and tells him to turn it down. He remembers his past self, Daniel, being told by a mysterious Head agent to open all the Abnormaltiy doors in the proto-corporation. He did so. Chesed winds up declaring he's done with everything and declares a rebellion against us and Angela, and A recalls his last conversation with Daniel.

Angela..!

Yes, A?

Was this all some stupid ploy to get at Bishop after sending him home?

Do not worry, A. I ensured that he was safely back in his dormitory before allowing any of this to occur. Only our night crew is at risk-no one you have had a hand in guiding.

Yesod's still going to give me an earful, you know! Who's on the night crew?

Clerks, mostly. No one who counts.

Why… did you…

Speaking of which, I believe it would be prudent to check on the status of Gebura.

Right. This isn't over.

Of course. The pertinent details begin a short time ago. I shall bring them up now.

(Gebura previous story: 1, 2, 3, 4)

Music: Town - Urban Knights

Those monsters were supposed to be slumbering away, but now they woke up all of a sudden. There’s no need to focus on what caused this. All that matters is that we solve the problem at hand. Let me add a few words before we jump into battle today.

You should not let complacency waver your mind when you confront the monsters. You must arm yourselves with anger and pure anger alone to crush those monstrous bastards. If you object to any of this, I suggest you transfer departments immediately. I won’t squeeze out a tear or mourn over you perishing without even your name being left behind.

Meeting over. We’ll talk more when the situation has been sorted out.

What's the present situation?

Bringing it up now, A.

This Tiphereth is actually confirmed in the script to be the boy Tiphereth, but I really don't think they planned this cutscene to be played while Tiphereth was also in meltdown mode.

Maybe we should suspend the suppression operation for now? Tiphereth is investigating the cause of this situation right now, so we should be able to figure it out pretty soon.

This is why. Tiphereth is either talking about himself in the 3rd person, or referring to a malfunctioning Tiphereth. Let's just let it slide, he's a glitchy boy and it doesn't matter. :ssh:

I don’t need a break… I can still fight.

But in your condition…

---

If she continues to battle in this condition, things will become untenable for her ability to perform her basic functions.

So, what, we just stop her? She's not going to listen to me, and I don't feel up for letting you do whatever the hell it is you want to do here.

There is an alternative option, Manager. The Sephirah of the department below her should be able to assist.

Below her? Who would that be?

...you… Angela, what is she doing here?!

As you can see, I am the leader of the Extraction Team. It has been some time, manager.

It's as she says, A.

Well? Shall I fetch her?

...Not really a choice here, huh? Get to it. And get out of my sight.

---

Music: Stop
*footsteps*

And your body needs five or six parts replaced and repaired… It’s not thrilling to look after a machine who behaves like a child in a temper tantrum. However, the Sephirot of the Middle Layer apparently could not keep you on a leash, so here I am.

Oh, poor little thing, look at yourself. There was a time when I had a pinch of admiration for that fire in your eyes… But now even that is smothered with ire and madness. It is such a shame that the both of us are locked up in this dungeon.

Music: Cryptic

I imagine we will no longer have to face off with our lives at stake and be at each other’s throats like the past, but… I will say this for you, pitiful thing. Stare directly into the object of your anger. The edge of a blade that has lost its way will be unfathomably blunt, for there will be nothing but the void to slash, no matter how much the blade is sharpened.

Sometimes I remember the faces of those who showed me true kindness. If I could just get the smallest taste of revenge upon those monsters who stole their smiles, their happiness, their future… My sword and spear would never stop their flurry. I see people dying in my blurred vision. They’re always torn apart by monsters.

Sometimes they’re strangers, sometimes ones I dearly miss, and sometimes… I see Christopher or Miss Isabel. Whoever they were, I’m filled with agony for them. Looking at my paralyzed leg and my severed arm, I scream and curse my weak body in a fit of rage. Then I black out. I’m so sick of this darkness…

...Please reconsider…

Why should I approve an operation that will so clearly end in failure?

If manpower is the issue, I can make up for it. If they’re too weak, I’ll make up for that too.

……..

There’s nothing in the rules against a Sephirah utilizing E.G.O too.

If you so wish, then I won’t stop you.

This feeling is so distinct that it pulls me right back onto the right path, away from straying to wander, just like a road sign. I completely lose track of time when I wield my weapons. It was kinda funny to see Tiphereth and Chesed with bewildered faces when they witnessed me return from battle covered in blood. No matter how hard I stab and break those monsters, they will recover sooner or later. Some of them wail and others scream. In battle, I also fracture and break some of my components, but those are soon replaced and repaired.

What a perfect little hell, just for me.

Music: Awake in Death

Here it is. Think of it as a respectful gesture to a fellow warrior, to leave you with one of your arms intact.

I don’t know if it will ease your pain, but this happens quite often, more often than you may think. This is no less common than, say, a little seedling getting trampled to death. I must admit that you’re quite the tough sprout, however. You even managed to thwart my plans a little.

And finally come to face me and give me a fair fight. By the way, about those monsters. I cannot deny that they’re astonishing things. Even after plowing through a hallway of your friends, they never softened nor tired.

……It seems you aren’t much different from them, now that I ponder on it. Alright then.

…...……

If I can’t get rid of these drat monsters… I’ll destroy the whole company myself instead. Then finally my aimless wrath can crumble with it and rest beneath the earth forever…

She was called the “Red Mist” among the Backstreet’s denizens. That was a name she earned protecting us from all kinds of threats and maneuvers of the outside. Michelle’s betrayal led the Eye to the den we hid in, then the Head mercilessly threw their Claws at us. Instead of dealing with the Red Mist directly, the ever cunning Head unleashed the unstable Abnormalities to slaughter us. The Abnormalities were out of control, tearing apart our comrades who screamed in agony. All the while, the Claws sniffed out their prey and snatched it…

She lost an eye, one of her arms was severed, and she had numerous, deep scars all over her body she could no longer heal from. Yet she didn’t give up…

After a long time had passed, her eyes opened again. However, her anger that had lost its focus dragged her down, deep to the bottom. We had to reboot her many, many times.

Music: Boss Warning

In summary: :stare:

Ahem. Okay, so. Gebura is busy dealing with the results of Chesed's meltdown, taking the floor alongside her employees in order to suppress the awakened Abnormalities. She gets torn up, and Binah, a Sephirah from the Lower Layer, shows up to put a stop to it. Gebura stops, but in doing so decides to just destroy the entire company herself. Based on Gebura's reaction to her, Binah is most likely the shadowy figure from Chesed/Gebura's flashbacks who slaughtered everyone in the facility, and Gebura managed to slaughter her way through every single Abnormality in the proto-company, the two Claws, and presumably Binah herself, in order to save B and A. Unfortunately, she died in the process.

Gebura was kind of a terrifying badass.

There's also a deleted line here, from back at the start when she's giving her motivational speech.

Deleted content posted:

Don’t expect me to bat an eye even if you get torn apart right in front of my eyes; charging at the monsters standing in my way is my only concern.

...Is everything back under control?

Yes, A. Our deterrence has been turned back on as well.

And, let me guess, I can't fire you for that drat idiotic decision to turn it off?

That is correct.

Cool. So you basically broke two Sephirot for...

I cannot tell you that. It would cause the process to lose its meaning.

Right… right. That seed to escape the cycle involved dealing with Malkuth and them's breakdowns. And this is because there's a time limit?

That is also correct.

I'm not sure if I should thank you or punch you, then. Just… no more of this stuff. Got it?

I shall refrain from taking any further actions of this sort without consulting with you, manager.

Right. Okay. Time to get back to work.

Next time, on Lobotomy Corporation: A quiet day.

Uuugh, my head…

Did… did we binge all of Pretty Magical Cure Magica last night?

Yeah. It was super dark. I think it made me have this terrible dream where Bishop was dead.

Oh yeah… that… I don't think it was a dream.

...ah…

Could you two keep it down? I'm trying to sleep.

BOSS!!

Oh yeah. Hi guys. I didn't die yesterday.

I knew it! They never found a body!

You were right! You were-urp. I'll be right back.

...is he okay?

We uh… got really drunk yesterday.

Ah. Well… Good to be not dead.

Good to have you be not dead.

So, I get my captain status back now, right?

Um… sorry, rules are rules. Paperwork says Bishop died yesterday, so Bishop can't be captain. I did get you a new ID, though!

:sigh: Nah, nah. That's fine. I'll take it. Good luck today, everyone.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 5, 2021

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

sorcrane posted:

Don't worry, the system didn't actually glitch! It's just not used to picking up the Bishop MHz frequency band, that's all.

sorcrane posted:

Thank you! More art is always excellent food, looking forward.

MSpaint is fantastic and I've scribbled my fair share in it, but I'm doing this in Procreate on an iPad! I just replaced my nine-year-old tablet with it a couple months ago and I'm new to Procreate, so a lot of these drawings are me going "hey that's a neat-looking brush!"...but it's a different brush every time, which is why nothing I've uploaded has been drawn in a consistent style. Whoops.

This thread just gives me a lot of ideas. For example, Malkuth and the rest of the core suppressed now look like boxes, and that makes me think of Tetris (or would it be Coretris?). I usually end up scribbling doodles during the day:

and then I kick them over to Procreate to actually draw them. Here's my Day 36 prediction!

Sorcrane your stuff is consistently amazing and I continue to be blown away by it. Seriously, here for alla' dis. :allears:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Fun fact from the supplemental comic that's on the developer's website. The bottom two departments only exist at HQ, not at any of the other branches of Lobotomy Corporation.

Either way, good update and excellent fanart.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

TeeQueue posted:

mysterious Head agent
[...]
Binah is most likely the shadowy figure from Chesed/Gebura's flashbacks who slaughtered everyone in the facility

TeeQueue posted:

Just because you're trying to be kind now doesn't erase the fact that you called down a drat Arbiter on us, Michelle!!!

But… but I… I never...

An Arbiter?!

TeeQueue posted:

Thank goodness… But, An Arbiter? One of the Head's enforcers came here..? That's a bit overkill…

So, A made a boxbot out of Head's enforcer. Who is so scary that everyone crap their pants when she is mentioned. Who was sent to stop whatever proto-lobcorp was doing. I am sure that cannot backfire in any way. She would never try to finish what she started.

That leaves the last unseen Sephirot to be Chokmah, who likely is the mysterious Talow's benefactor.

MiiNiPaa fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 21, 2020

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
There's also the matter of B, the mysterious person from early on, being referenced again. We haven't heard about him since Angela, uh, dealt with him.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

In a cast full of tragic and troubled characters of varying degrees, having one (Binah) who's just an evil jerk and completely unrepentant about it is a kind of fun in it's own right.

My guess for how the next few days Core Suppresions are gonna go is that you'll be tackling Gebura > Chesed > Tiphereth. Gebura first because narrative-wise, she's the most immediate and obvious threat, and then ending it with Tiphereth because her story feels like it's had the most built-up and thus will make for a good "Middle Layer Finale".

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

eternaldough posted:

In a cast full of tragic and troubled characters of varying degrees, having one (Binah) who's just an evil jerk and completely unrepentant about it is a kind of fun in it's own right.

My guess for how the next few days Core Suppresions are gonna go is that you'll be tackling Gebura > Chesed > Tiphereth. Gebura first because narrative-wise, she's the most immediate and obvious threat, and then ending it with Tiphereth because her story feels like it's had the most built-up and thus will make for a good "Middle Layer Finale".

I'm afraid to say this is not the order I'm planning, in particular since I have plans for day 40.

Oh yes. I have plans. :unsmigghh:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
You showing off Cheeseburger and regular Gebura suppressions?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

I plan to show off the one major boss cheese everyone who has ever played this game is probably thinking of (please don’t mention it) but I also plan to do the related fight the proper way as well.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Lips sealed then and looking forward to it.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

...No. No you loving don't. loving hell, the sheer GALL of this...

Gonna throw this in here now, in full knowledge that the game will probably try to make me eat my words with some reveal down the line, out of all the Sephirot stuck in this hellhole, this monster alone loving deserves it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Aumanor posted:

Gonna throw this in here now, in full knowledge that the game will probably try to make me eat my words with some reveal down the line, out of all the Sephirot stuck in this hellhole, this monster alone loving deserves it.

On one hand she is an agent of oppressive dictatorship sent to slaughter entire research facility, prefers psychological pressure to force others follow her orders and does not care about possibly innocent lives.
On the other hand she went to destroy laboratory which experimented on children, performed research on unwilling subjects, turned man into monstrosity and fed his family to it, violated a multitude of laws and did who knows what else. Also she is polite and stylish.

A few things:

* I thought that Gebura suppression would be her releasing abnormalities on us, but it seems that it would be Chesed who will release abnormalities, as he is the one controlling deterrence field.
* I thought that agents in high-level EGO gear would be almost invulnerable to everything, because conventional wepons are ineffective against abnormalities, and the only reason original raid on research team was succesfull is because that was before EGO equipment became avaliable (and that EGO equipment was developed so facility could repel another potential raid). But we see Gebura holding Mimicry (and presiumably wearing an EGO suit) and being beaten by Binah. That implies that at least Binah can go toe-to-toe with EGO-equipped agent (and Gebura was, like, level 8 out of 5, judging by flashbacks).