Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

normally in the before-times i’d tell you that refusing to move puts you in a pretty small box. your move doesn’t have to be permanent- just relocate to one of the hubs and put in your pound of flesh for your first job or two and by then you actually have a real resume and more doors start to open.

i’ll be honest with you- the first job or two that you take are going to suck and it’s going to suck even more with covid. the masters isn’t going to help much. you’re going to have to find a company that’s willing to take the risk on hiring an unproven newbie. usually that’s only the big dogs.

there’s no answer besides just looking. a lot. get a profile built on as many tech jobs sites as you can. proactively scan all of them every day for any new listings. get ready to be rejected or ghosted a lot. it’s going to suck.

after you have a few years of experience under your belt and have some sort of area of expertise- THATS when you start feeling like a hot chick on tinder. at least in the US. being willing to relocate and work for a company of any size will open a lot of doors for you. you should consider it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

and yeah as bob dobbs said, and it’s something that is said in this thread often, networking > *. All of my best jobs came from me knowing someone on the inside before i even applied. Be sure to hit up the jobs thread in the grey forums.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
most workplaces/bosses hate flexible hours, because they love control. you can sometimes get them to accept it once you have some leverage in the negotiation (that is, your value to the company), but finding a smaller company that accepts flexible hours for a junior position, in a city with a population of 85k, during the covid-19 situation, is needle-in-haystack territory. best of luck - you'll need it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Working for a big tech company early in your career has huge payoffs even a decade later. You don't have to do it, but you're giving up a lot if you do. HTFU and do it for a couple years, and you can chase after your dream later.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
as for myself i'm only getting responses from companies i definitely don't want to work for. adtech garbage, some kind of financial derivatives OTC trading shenanigans, etc. guess i should've put some more effort into the cover letter when i applied to yubico, that would've been cool :smith:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

TheFluff posted:

guess i should've put some more effort into the cover letter when i applied to yubico, that would've been cool :smith:

it is extremely unlikely that the quality of your cover letter made any difference

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

raminasi posted:

it is extremely unlikely that the quality of your cover letter made any difference

ya i know, it's just the futile belief that i have some kind of agency speaking

in other news just got a call back from a hr person at a company i talked to yesterday. they were super enthusiastic yesterday and were like, great candidate, let's book a technical interview immediately, but then today they called back and said the personality test is unfortunately a 0% match for this role so we can't proceed after all. lmao, loving astrologers. good loving riddance.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

TheFluff posted:

as for myself i'm only getting responses from companies i definitely don't want to work for. adtech garbage, some kind of financial derivatives OTC trading shenanigans, etc. guess i should've put some more effort into the cover letter when i applied to yubico, that would've been cool :smith:

same. Companies would just love if I'd come and look at their Java EE and Spring Boot garbage

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

I'm kind of torn between staying in my current industry or changing again. I enjoy learning the ins and outs of a new field, but I can't help but wonder if it's beneficial to become an expert in a specific industry as a software developer

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ultrafilter posted:

Working for a big tech company early in your career has huge payoffs even a decade later. You don't have to do it, but you're giving up a lot if you do. HTFU and do it for a couple years, and you can chase after your dream later.
yeah having a couple known names on my resume when I was young helped me a ton even though they were universally crap places to work

we got a second candidate to the offer stage to be on my team and they're trying to play hardball with the compensation and it's super frustrating

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

taco_fox posted:

I'm kind of torn between staying in my current industry or changing again. I enjoy learning the ins and outs of a new field, but I can't help but wonder if it's beneficial to become an expert in a specific industry as a software developer

There's a lot of value in being an expert in something, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a specific industry. You could also specialize in a certain area of computer science, or in some specific class of problems, or in specific technologies. That last one is riskier because you have to bet on those technologies never becoming obsolete, but it's still an option.

What do you know best and what are you interested in learning more about?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

TheFluff posted:

ya i know, it's just the futile belief that i have some kind of agency speaking

in other news just got a call back from a hr person at a company i talked to yesterday. they were super enthusiastic yesterday and were like, great candidate, let's book a technical interview immediately, but then today they called back and said the personality test is unfortunately a 0% match for this role so we can't proceed after all. lmao, loving astrologers. good loving riddance.

personality tests are stupid HR gatekeeping bullshit, and you could certainly refuse any company that makes you do one, but then you'd miss out on a lot of jobs, because HR is stupid at many companies that you still might actually want to work for. just remember not to answer the personality test according to your actual personality. answer as though you are the archetype of whatever position you are applying for, regardless of how true that is

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Acer Pilot posted:

did you do any co-op? what did you specialize in for that msc?

I already have a job on my resume with a company that did an online map thing. So I have roughly 7 years of experience.

The MSC was in distributed systems. Specifically Byzantine Agreement.

TheFluff posted:

most workplaces/bosses hate flexible hours, because they love control. you can sometimes get them to accept it once you have some leverage in the negotiation (that is, your value to the company), but finding a smaller company that accepts flexible hours for a junior position, in a city with a population of 85k, during the covid-19 situation, is needle-in-haystack territory. best of luck - you'll need it.

I'm applying for Senior Developer positions, which are both comparatively more numerous, and also I qualify for with my experience, etc.

Also, I don't need full flex hours, just time-shifted ones (start later in the day, end later in the day).

Would it help if I posted my (redacted) resume?

Quackles fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 19, 2020

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the job that I just accepted had me do a personality and iq test

if I had applied for the job normally, those would have been presented as the first step of the hiring process and I would have noped the gently caress out

as it actually happened, I was going through a recruiter, gone through the interview hoops, met my future team and it was framed as a please jump through these he hoops so we can actually send you the offer

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

DELETE CASCADE posted:

personality tests are stupid HR gatekeeping bullshit, and you could certainly refuse any company that makes you do one, but then you'd miss out on a lot of jobs, because HR is stupid at many companies that you still might actually want to work for. just remember not to answer the personality test according to your actual personality. answer as though you are the archetype of whatever position you are applying for, regardless of how true that is

i wasn't really interested in this position so it's no big loss to me at all, i'm just practicing interviewing. i haven't actually seen many companies here use personality tests at all, this is the first one in a long time that i recall using it. i've seen logic tests used though in a few places.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Quackles posted:

I already have a job on my resume with a company that did an online map thing. So I have roughly 7 years of experience.

The MSC was in distributed systems. Specifically Byzantine Agreement.

I'm applying for Senior Developer positions, which are both comparatively more numerous, and also I qualify for with my experience, etc.

Also, I don't need full flex hours, just time-shifted ones (start later in the day, end later in the day).

Would it help if I posted my (redacted) resume?

oh okay, i got the impression that you were a fresh graduate for some reason, sorry

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"i did my mscs to avoid the real world" is like 95% a fresh grad thing, congrats on being in the 5%

if you grok sales you dont need our advice anyways, so go and grok sales. i recommend "spin selling" over and above actual interviewing books, unless you need to grind stupid algo problems. again, your job is sales until you go and get a job

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
I’ve been working for a FAANG for a little over a year now and to be honest I’m bored as gently caress. The problems are all trivial and I don’t feel like I’ve advanced much from my last job (windows lob software). I want to work for a startup to add some risk and excitement but
1. This may be a bad idea and I should just take my boring FAANG salary and live with it.
2. Startups are terrible and filled with narcissists.
3. Where are all the startup jobs? My coworkers seem to find them but when I look around it’s all terrible LOB poo poo and I’ve had enough of that.

What should I do thread? I want to work on interesting problems but I also have a rent payment. :(

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

all day interview with company #2 for my dream job went extremely well, I think. multiple interviewers ended it early with, 'you're exactly what we're looking for so i'm done. let's talk about other stuff' which is a pretty drat good sign. the stuff they were telling me about the day to day workings of their shop just made me more excited for it.

company #3 sent me a very curt but polite rejection letter.

and of course because nothing can ever be simple- company #0 that kicked this entire journey off over a year ago just reached out to me asking if i was still interested in the role. lmao

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

greps of wrath posted:

when I look around it’s all terrible LOB poo poo and I’ve had enough of that.

does this mean “i’m sick of building things that solve actual problems that people have” or what

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

raminasi posted:

does this mean “i’m sick of building things that solve actual problems that people have” or what

I mean more, “we’ve been doing this for 20 years. Best practices? What’s that?”

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the best startup jobs are pretty much handshake network dealios. so i recommend waiting until you get the vaccine and getting invited to certain parties in the bay area or other figgielands

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

greps of wrath posted:

I mean more, “we’ve been doing this for 20 years. Best practices? What’s that?”

are startups known for good practices, i’ve never worked at one

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the best time to be at a startup is when you can be the one creating all the technical debt then skate on to something else before any of it catches up with you

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

qirex posted:

the best time to be at a startup is when you can be the one creating all the technical debt then skate on to something else before any of it catches up with you

dont post my work ethic

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

qirex posted:

To be clear: This is my dream job

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
A place I thought was going to PFO me instead decided to pass me onto the next round of interviews.

"Funny auld world, innit?" (as the kids say these days)

:shrug:

asur
Dec 28, 2012

greps of wrath posted:

I’ve been working for a FAANG for a little over a year now and to be honest I’m bored as gently caress. The problems are all trivial and I don’t feel like I’ve advanced much from my last job (windows lob software). I want to work for a startup to add some risk and excitement but
1. This may be a bad idea and I should just take my boring FAANG salary and live with it.
3. Where are all the startup jobs? My coworkers seem to find them but when I look around it’s all terrible LOB poo poo and I’ve had enough of that.

What should I do thread? I want to work on interesting problems but I also have a rent payment. :(

Find interesting problems in your company and switch to work on them. If you can't find interesting problems in a FAANG, potentially excluding Netflix due to breadth, then the problem isn't interesting work.

asur fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 20, 2020

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

greps of wrath posted:

get paid, son

stick it out for 3 or 4 years, then move somewhere with a low COL and get a more interesting job

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
That, or ride the gravy train as far as it'll take you. Start a family and get fulfillment that way.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Schadenboner posted:

A place I thought was going to PFO me instead decided to pass me onto the next round of interviews.

"Funny auld world, innit?" (as the kids say these days)

how good you look depends brutally upon their candidate pool, which also varies rather brutally

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

PIZZA.BAT posted:

all day interview with company #2 for my dream job went extremely well, I think. multiple interviewers ended it early with, 'you're exactly what we're looking for so i'm done. let's talk about other stuff' which is a pretty drat good sign. the stuff they were telling me about the day to day workings of their shop just made me more excited for it.

company #3 sent me a very curt but polite rejection letter.

and of course because nothing can ever be simple- company #0 that kicked this entire journey off over a year ago just reached out to me asking if i was still interested in the role. lmao

welp they called me about an hour after this post and offered me the job. base pay is about equal to company #1 but i countered them up a bit just because. even if they reject it i'll still take their initial offer. gently caress yeah traveling for work sucks

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

welp they called me about an hour after this post and offered me the job. base pay is about equal to company #1 but i countered them up a bit just because. even if they reject it i'll still take their initial offer. gently caress yeah traveling for work sucks

Hey, congrats :yotj:. I know you've been on the hunt for a minute, it'll be nice not to worry about the acquisition anymore

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

PIZZA.BAT posted:

congrats!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

raminasi posted:

i visited a few times because they were funding my research. it just felt like unashamed consumer capitalism: things are "good" for people with money, as long as you can convince yourself to ignore the obvious blood staining everything. i doubt they're going to try to take a computer toucher's passport.

yeah my ex was in the UAE for about a year working on a UN world heritage site application for the government.

the restrictive laws about booze and stuff don’t apply to foreign labor, and the money is great.

if you are american or european or east asian its going to be fine. if you are african or south asian or anywhere in the middle east you might get your pelvis run over and crushed by a sheik in a mercedes suv for daring to charge him market rates for grain.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i used to work with a guy who grew up largely in the UAE. he was an interesting dude. his eyes had this "old soul" quality about them, like he had Seen Some poo poo

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

bob dobbs is dead posted:

how good you look depends brutally upon their candidate pool, which also varies rather brutally

Yeah but
1. This is a proper company.
2. This would actually require technical skill.
3. No company anywhere could ever possibly be desperate enough to hire me.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Schadenboner posted:

Yeah but
1. This is a proper company.
2. This would actually require technical skill.
3. No company anywhere could ever possibly be desperate enough to hire me.

not with that attitude

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Captain Foo posted:

not with that attitude

Hey, don't blame me: I tried to tell them but they still passed me to the next round!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Schadenboner posted:

Hey, don't blame me: I tried to tell them but they still passed me to the next round!

A philosophy of job hunting:

You have a friend named Davetthew. He is not very good technically, but he is overwhelmingly full of confidence, and as such he applies for jobs he thinks he'd be even only somewhat qualified at. However, his confidence in himself often carries him through otherwise unfortunate spots of the hiring process.

You're better than Davetthew, but you don't have as much confidence - so, when you're not sure about yourself, "what would Davetthew do?"