Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
A.

Boo, presidents bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

A, please. No presidents under heaven.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

B

We must keep the government in line with what the Eternal Empress would govern like in Her absence.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

HereticMIND posted:

B

We must become the America of the East.

B

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

B

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
A.

It's enjoyable seeing you create narratives out of adversity and the absence of the nobility estate will provide manpower adversity.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If we're selecting our leader by sortition AND giving them supreme executive authority then why did we even abolish the monarchy

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

B) Presidential System

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
A. A separate executive leads to deadlock when they and the council do not agree.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Rody One Half posted:

If we're selecting our leader by sortition AND giving them supreme executive authority then why did we even abolish the monarchy

Extremely true, in my opinion. A it is, then.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
A

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Rody One Half posted:

Yeah, I'm going with A for the same reason.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Providence picks our leaders, but it falls to the greAt and good to advise them.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
A Parliament! Who should also be chosen by sortition

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Rody One Half posted:

this is merely a holding pattern until our Empress returns to us

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Sortition is far better than magic bloodlines

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
A

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
:siren: The vote is closed. :siren:

A) Parliament: 16 (zealouscub, crazycryodude, Rody One Half, idhrendur, Fivemarks, NewMars, megane, Caustic Soda, Danny Glands, Empress Theonora, Mycroft Holmes, Kassad, Lord Cyrahzax, Pacho, Viola the Mad, AJ_Impy)

B) Presidential System: 7 (Ferrovanadium, Technowolf, HereticMIND, Soup du Jour, QuoProQuid, ThatBasqueGuy, Jeoh)

By a clear margin, the Parliament reform was chosen; after the next update, we will have more votes based on a party structure.

=========================================

Jekundag Palden, upon hearing the result, feels an immense sense of relief.

As he often does, he escapes from the official offices of Lhasa, wiping the paint off his face and wearing a shabbier coat with tattered sleeves. He walks through the great courtyards of Lhasa, against the crowd - jostled, shoved, completely unrecognized without the garments of court and palace. These are travelers from all over Tibet. Some with even more dust than usual on their faces, and some with miniature shrines slung around them, for protection. They are here to see the sacred sites of Lhasa, yes, but others attend a theatrical performance about the life and exploits of Lasya the Holy and her taking of many fortresses.

He goes further, to a small, unadorned house in the eastern quarter of the city, where he enters. He embraces his wife, lies down on his bed out of exhaustion. He hears the noise of animals and people all about him, moving freely, and offers thanks to all the beneficent gods in prayer - "Thank you, that I do not have to be anything like a king."

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Chapter 73: 1638 to 1659 - Treasure by Foreign Trade

[Transcript: 12 Safar 1439 AH -- HIST 313 - Economics and the Early Modern World.
Department of History, Kusitinitiniya University. Assistant Professor Gebrekristos Lemuel Naoed lecturing.]

Dr. Naoed: Well, thank you all for attending this virtual session. I know the building renovations have been a lot of trouble recently, so I thank you all for taking the effort to attend these lectures. You are all still getting your participation credit for these.

So, today we're starting with, as a case study, Tibet's move towards a parliamentary form of government, and that series of governmental reforms in the context of the formation of the global economy.

Now it is important that we must draw a distinction between Tibet proper, the political entity which rules the plateau, the lower Ganges, and Burma. The Sacred Tibetan Empire, on the other hand, administered most of the rest of the Indian peninsula - and was one of the wealthiest areas on the earth at that time.

Now the Tibetan government at this time was pressed due to demands from both the growing merchant classes and the aristocracy; the aristocracy because they demanded further expansions for their landholdings, and the merchants because they felt pressed by the variety of taxes and tolls implied by the Sacred Tibetans and their lack of ports and trading centers.

Foreign powers, such as Ethiopia, grew hostile to Tibetan foreign ambitions.

And without enough of a state capacity, greater domestic building projects, such as temples, could not be carried out.

In response to these popular demands, Jekundang Paltsen, the leader of the Tibetan Republic at the time -- chosen by lot, I remind you -- began an invasion of the wealthy port cities of southern Burma.

While did this did involve Tibet in a series of wars at once, the logic was simple-

Take the valuable port cities quickly, and then sue for terms.

The Pegu army did surrender at Mongpai. And that war might have become easier.

The problem, of course, is that force is a blunt instrument -- and that soldiers in this era, as they do in many eras -- will take anything not nailed down. If they see golden pagodas, they'll peel all the gold leaf off and throw the bricks at anyone else nearby. When Dagon was sacked, the city's utility as a port was ruined for some time.

But the war did not end suddenly,

and the Sacred Tibetan Empire made its own signals. The aristocracy voted for a Bengali king instead of a Rajputana one, signaling their discontent with the previous direction of the empire.

Can you see the map here? Yes? All right. The purple in the top right here is the new elector-emperor, the orange is the electors, and the striped yellow is the contested territory with Tibet proper. The little spots of blue represent independent city-states, of which there are surprisingly many.

Um. Where was I? Yes. Tibet found itself on a war on two sides, against Thais and Mon,

and against a state of the empire.

The war was a give and take affair,

but the way the soldiers itself was the way war generally has - through organized 'forage' of cities and towns.

But Tibet had altered the way it approached war - with the state government organizing the purchase of and usage of massed artillery.

Thus forcing the surrender and total destruction of enemy armies. Tibet was able to manage the fiscally intensive activity of making war, where its competitors could not.

States which had briefly intervened in the war quickly withdrew,

and the state so made policies and grew more powerful in the development of the army. The state thus makes war, and war makes the state.

The small Tibetan navy, which had a mixed record up to this point, achieved some success.

Dali, the closest aspirants to the old imperial throne of China, had to face peasant revolts - as China is well known for - and the aristocracy from the southwest, soon faced difficulties in ruling over a people whose language and concerns it could not so easily understand.

and the city of Ayutthaya was taken after a brief siege,

ceding some territory and a financial indemnity.

and then it withdrew from the war.

And so the war came to a favorable conclusion for Tibet, with the annexation of cities from Dagon to Mawlamyine, and so gaining control of trade along the Irrawady and multiple favorable ports as a base for further expansion and trade.

While it would take some time for these areas to fully recover, this was an immediate gain for the Tibetan republic.

Now, this was not the only way to position yourself for trade and acquiring ports and land - this was around the time that the Caliphate of Anatolia - yes, the one which ruled these cities where we now sit - purchased some small islands from the Malian Empire.

And fundraising could be done by other means such as the sale of defunct noble titles and the right to conduct various affairs for the new republic.

But that was how a regime of global trade began to make itself known - through the acquisition of trading ports across continents and regions,

and through the development of shipping technology which made longer voyages possible and even profitable - though still long and dangerous.

Competition developed between states that were far removed geographically, and with the aim of maintaining exclusivity and profit among certain goods, locations, and routes.

Jekundag Paltsen, first underestimated by his peers, became one of the most famous of the early leaders of the Tibetan republic.

With the last of the old leadership of the pre-republican period passing away, he-

Excuse me. What is that sound? Is that, uh, video game music? Please turn that off or at least mute your microphone.

A reference map? No, I know what that is. That is a video game. I can see the reflection in your glasses. Please turn the sound off. Thank you.

Where was I... oh yes. Not long after, a group of Tibetan nobles in northern Sichuan soon petitioned Jekundag for assistance, calling for assistance and for another war against the Kingdom of Dali. Now this was not a grand campaign along the lines of Lasya's invasion of China, only a portion of a province -- but Jekundag, who was sympathetic and easily convinced, agreed to hear them out.

Now. One has to be careful of cases of colonial or imperial overreach -- Ayiti, around this time, was forced to pay indemnities after the Great Württemberg uprising.

Jekundag first busied himself with the administration of the new territories,

and so passed away before any campaign against Dali could be commenced.

The new leader, Lukhnong Taknang, was notable for being one of the first Tibetan leaders born out of the plateau - he was from the Assam/Kamarupa area. He was also focused on foreign policy and expansion.

It is at this point we can draw comparisons between the Tibetan and the Anatolian methods of building up international trade networks. While the Tibetans expanded their land empire by conquest and incorporating new territories into the empire, the Anatolians, in addition to that, purchased strategic islands and the use of ports. Previously, the Anatolian state also funded the use of organized joint-stock companies - where ownership portions were bought and sold by shareholders - for organizing the purchase of various goods. The company, in turn, expanded its mandate from trade to the independent acquisition of territory.

The development of the joint-stock corporation, while prominent in Anatolia, was the result of concurrent factors such as the administration of vast colonial territories;

and the increased trends of urbanization.

What confounded Tibet at this time was its constant entanglements with the Sacred Tibetan Empire to the south;

While the empire was often ridiculed as a historical curio, at present must now consider the evidence. It still had not collapsed. It would protect its other members from invasion. It was at the time unspeakably wealthy.

When an outside power proved to be enough of a threat,

other powers rose in opposition against it.

This is how a system of alliance diplomacy developed,

which would defeat any aspiring hegemons.

Nor must we assume that these wars were matters entirely decided with or without religious intervention. These people took their faiths seriously, as we here take our faith seriously, but they lived in a world without the explanations or ideas that we have today. We cannot dismiss them all as superstitious. Their faith - syncretic beliefs, or Bon as first codified by Purgyal Gyalyum and her wife Pakmodru Tse in 300 AH (912 CE) - faith provided a moral code for actions and a framework to understand the world.

Ah, excuse me, I'm digressing.

Wars between Tibet and the Sacred Empire continued,

and the cautious leadership of Lukhnong Taknang drove him to find new alliances as a safeguard against any further aggression. These formal alliances were a means of defense, but also a constraint against further action. These could and would drag him into further wars and prevent him from carrying out further campaigns, as we may discuss later.

In this period we must also see the revenge of the Sacred Hierarchy - after the bloody anti-clerical campaigns of "Gyalyum II", one could have assumed that the old hierarchy was gone forever, its holdings reduced to a few poor monasteries in Yunnan. But while a 'Restorationist' faith rebounded in the Tibetan Plateau, in Bengal, and Burma, the old hierarchy held on in much of the Indian subcontinent, in Persia, and in some of the Siberian plains. After a series of wars in the Malwa region, the Hierarchy was granted a territorial base to administer as its own.

It is in this world that we now turn to the rise of modern industrialism through development in that period's economic policy.

We must not confuse this with the period of the First Industrial Revolution, about so much was written later; manufacturing technology was not developed to that point yet. There were no modern machine tools nor steam power.

But in Tibet, with its system of protectionism, its emphasis on "finished goods" instead of raw materials, early use of assembly lines, and the emphasis on greater imports than exports and the growth of what we call a modern economy through conquest,

placed it, besides Anatolia, Ethiopia, Ayiti, Carantania, and Majapahit, as one of the foremost economies of the early modern period.

the small states of the Sacred Tibet Empire, as well, became important players in this world system.

Khozistan, a Tibetan-Bedouin kingdom which defeated many of the other successor states of the old Tibetan Empire, soon occupied a major regional position at this time.

Oh yes, I'm getting a question in the chat room here. "Can we have a discussion on the Tibetan-Dali relationship? "

Yes, great question, Derartu, uh, I was just getting to that.

To be short, it wasn't good - not as climactic as when Lasya the Holy invaded the Third Han Dynasty, but there were still prolonged tensions and one invasion.

After the death of the Dali emperor, the throne passed to his young son, and a regency council ruled instead.

The Tibetans, having been pressed by the nobility to take advantage of the situation and rule over the Tibetans in Sichuan, declared war soon after. Levon -- excuse me. Dr. Pilossyan -- told me there is a recurring story of Lasya the Holy appearing in a prophetic vision and ordering Lukhnong to invade.

But Lukhnong has earned his unflattering historical nicknames for a reason - after invading Dali and taking both Chongqing and Kunming in a matter of months,

he keeps only a fraction of northern Sichuan, though the army proved itself well.

If you find yourself a king, make sure to keep expectations reasonable. Don't promise too much otherwise they'll get angry at you. [Laughter from students.]

Dali proved to be a more resilient state and we can see how long they lasted even after this moment of crisis - even after financial and military setbacks they still found ways to adapt -- bringing in Han bureaucrats for example.

For context, this would be around the time we set up a colony and trading post in Papua.

and purchased rights to set up a trading city in Geonan, from Korea.

Where I cannot overstate the importance of naval trade and overseas trade routes in development here. I have to unpack it...

Unpack this... how states have to have multiple pillars and remain flexible to survive crises.

But now there is a growing tension between absolute authority and the growing needs of state and people.

Between what could be done and the harsh demands of political reality.

Right: Now we've got more to discuss: I'll take a few questions and then we can discuss

the wars of Ethiopian expansion,

the little ice age,

the second Islamic golden age, and then following that

the great Ashanti Rebellion and other threats to the Malian Empire,

the return of the Triple Alliance,

and our own wars in Awiropa. All right. Any questions?

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Just one:

When’s lunch?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You know I honestly can't remember the last time a mega LP just pulled back the curtain and did "I'm the player here's the update, I tried to do this, but then this happened etc." World building has been the thing for years.

Also has anyone tried to do CK3 yet and I just missed a thread?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Did you finish grading our midterms yet?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Professor, did you notice that Jimmy Al-Toobin forgot to wear clothes today? I think he thought his monitor was off.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

Rody One Half posted:

You know I honestly can't remember the last time a mega LP just pulled back the curtain and did "I'm the player here's the update, I tried to do this, but then this happened etc." World building has been the thing for years.

Also has anyone tried to do CK3 yet and I just missed a thread?

I've seen two ongoing HOI4 LPs, but no CK3 one yet.

As for the different style of LPs, I know we've had 'tutorial' Paradox LPs which is explaining mechanics. There were ones for Ireland and Brazil, but those were years ago and may have fallen into archives. None of those were megacampaigns. If you really want to go back, Wiz, in the middle of one of his threads, explained how he could do a world conquest as the Faroes or something like that but I don't remember where it is. ByzLP had posts that pretended to be somebody else just playing the game straight-up.

The closest one I can think of is a multiplayer campaign a few years back, that's here.

This forum has a lot of Paradox LPs, doesn't it?

HereticMIND posted:

Just one:

When's lunch?
Lunch is at the new Ayitian barbacoa place near the Caliph Le Tellier square! I'm paying.

Xelkelvos posted:

Did you finish grading our midterms yet?

My giant sloth trod on all the papers. Sorry.

habeasdorkus posted:

Professor, did you notice that Jimmy Al-Toobin forgot to wear clothes today? I think he thought his monitor was off.

Oh dear, I'll have to talk to student affairs about that. It's not even summer so he has no other excuse...

[OOC: Sorry for the delays. You know how life gets. I'll have another poll up in a week at most. I was fully expecting to be well into Victoria by now, but this loving year.]

zealouscub
Feb 18, 2020
Checking if students can see the map, video game music, oh god is this a Zoom call reference?

Now I am trying to think about what part of history would be the most confusing/difficult to teach in this timeline? The collapse of Europe? Cannibal Popes? Lasya's conquest of China and the Purgyal betrayal? Or something we haven't even seen in the LP yet?

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
How low the mighty have fallen. Ayiti's Golden Century is clearly over

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

That new Ayitian place? Really? Didn’t their Spicy Chicken Queso Wraps give you the runs last time?

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
VOTE: 1659

Tibet now enjoys its most peaceful period in decades. The Lönpo (or first minister - we have now discarded the pretense of regency) Lukhong Taknang, first thought to be cautious, has become regarded as a thoughtful ruler and a consensus-builder. He enjoys the administration of a modestly prosperous and mostly peaceful land.

The topic of debate, as it so often has been over the past decades, has been over the assignment of powers in this republic. In the drötsok (Parliament), proponents of greater executive power, as they always have, say that a greater concentration of power is necessary for the efficient administration of the kingdom, while their opponents say that too much is dangerous and that most people are best left to themselves. They say, not without reason, that the time of kings is over.

Vote for one of the following:

A) Broaden Executive Powers

B) Devolution of Powers

Within the drötsok, old factions have reasserted themselves, while new ones have made a place for themselves.
Vote for them by copying and pasting their flag in your post.

The Military Aristocracy still consists of the numerous ranks of the landed gentry, old families, and descendants of ministers, governors, and military commanders of the old empire. They as ever call for a strong army, run by themselves of course. They will call for expansion into Hsipaw, or some of the Buddhist kingdoms in the Tarim Basin, Ayutthaya, or in China. They would also call for the construction of army buildings and fortifications.

The Restorationists have all the fanaticism of recent converts. They take the symbols of the old church for themselves, and constantly invoke the name of Tibet's most ancient rulers in hunting out any signs of demonic infiltration or delusion. In terms of foreign policy, they would not say no to bullying or coercing the Sacred Tibetan Empire. They also talk about war with the Sacred Hierarchy. They would advocate building all kinds of buildings, but only in the small minority of provinces which are solidly Restorationist.

The Middle Division, composed of the wealthier merchants and some of the more prominent commoners, have seen enough of wars for the time being. They would focus on building more trade, production, and naval buildings. If they went to war at all, it might be for colonies or trading posts further afield, possibly in the old Sakalava kingdom, or perhaps near the spice islands, like Tidore.

code:
Military Aristocracy: [img]https://i.imgur.com/pvjDQgh.png[/img]

Restorationists: [img]https://i.imgur.com/hgR5Zw3.png[/img]

Middle Division: [img]https://i.imgur.com/458RBRW.png[/img]
MAP OF THE WORLD: 1659

If the honorable ministers have any questions about Tibet or the world, please don't hesitate to task.

The vote will be closed on Wednesday, December 9th, at 9 PM EST.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 6, 2020

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The Middle Division

A

First we gave power to the drötsok, now we need to give some power to the Lönpo. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Military Aristocracy

B) Devolution of Powers

What was the purpose of ending the monarchy if we just make a more complicated and tedious monarchy take its place?

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Devolution Only through a hands-off approach and enlightened centrism can we balance the different humours of our political body. Why, yes! I spent some years in Far Awiropa, they have the most incredible spiritual and metaphysical ideas! Simpleton barbarians they are not! I brought a certain Franzuá as a manservant, quick of wit, languishing under the eyes of his mothers and he has rapidly learned Tibetan, quite a marvel

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Military Aristocracy

B) Devolution of Powers

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

Military Aristocracy

B) Devolution of Powers

Iolite
May 9, 2009

A

What are we, the Sacred Hierarchy? No, we are the true inheritors of the great legacy of Tibet, and through decisive action we will make this known once more!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

B. Devolution of Powers

The correct amount of power for the head of state to have is this: he may choose what kind of lunch is to be served in the palace.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

A

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

B

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

We just had this vote! B of course! We don't need a royal executive!

Now I'm all for beating on the pseudo-Empire to the West, but I'm not interested in going all militant theocracy to do it, nor do I see a need for us to start rampaging around in far-flung isles. So, much as it pains me to side with the aristocrats,