Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

What’s up with Interactions? That looks like another huge complicated pack you could lose days to. I love GT:HN, but parts of it are really rough.

Edit: By rough I mean NEI being slow even after its cached and the strange inclusion of things like a mod that creates a ton of layers of snow instead of blocks which results in a struggling server and tanked FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Happy Hedonist posted:

What’s up with Interactions? That looks like another huge complicated pack you could lose days to. I love GT:HN, but parts of it are really rough.

Edit: By rough I mean NEI being slow even after its cached and the strange inclusion of things like a mod that creates a ton of layers of snow instead of blocks which results in a struggling server and tanked FPS.

I played Interactions for a while, and I thought it was pretty good, until you got to some of the poorly-optimized dimensions in the late game. I didn't have the NEI problem at all. The combat would have been horrendous if I hadn't cheesed it by using an astral sorcery ritual as well as building a skyblock-like platform in the overworld.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Happy Hedonist posted:

Having played FTB:I through the "tutorial" chapter (which interestingly, takes place entirely in a safe skyblock) and only a little bit after, I can say it definitely has strong GT:NH vibes and I really want to get into it.

The reasons I can't, despite my best efforts, are a few "hardcore" mods like pitch blackness at night, mobs that can break and place blocks to reach you, and finite water in most biomes. Though honestly the single biggest reason is it's so drat bloated with mods it takes like ten minutes for the pack to load in.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

OgNar posted:

While I like the progression of the Simply Jetpacks, the Mekanism one is cool too.
By the time you are building it, you have probably progressed to a 1 ore=3 ingots setup which will give you a nice hydrogen supply that the jetpack uses for fuel.
Otherwise its pretty easy to build and get early game.

One problem I never foresaw with 1.16 modpacks is that my Industrial Foregoing tree farm is just jammed up with naturally generated beehives now.
Mods with farming in it need to figure out a way to prevent their generation in a specific area or something.

Yeap you pretty much called it. It was easy to make and charge since I was already tripling ore and could feed it hydrogen. It moved very slowly going forward but raised pretty quickly.

Regarding the bees, I decided to just kind of look this up myself to see what it looked like. Somebody else mentioned flowers being nearby will cause beehives to generate from fresh saplings. The Minecraft Wiki states it's just two blocks. So if the farm is outside, a pesky few flowers just out of reach could generate beehives anywhere on the trees that are popping up.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Well drat. The overworld stuff sounds fun, but not in a GT pack. I wonder if it's possible to easily prune the block breaking and pitch black stuff out. Do mobs pillar? It almost sounds like that 1.10 Darkosto pack, the dayz meets minecraft thing he did before SevTech.

Which, I should just start that again. I have never played past the stone age and he's still releasing updates so it should be in relatively good shape. I need to figure out how to cheat through quests because I refuse to do the totemic stuff. The mechanics are terrible and the mod itself is offensive.

BTW does anyone know the story behind the Pepe thing in SF4? I think it's a emoji you can spam in Darkosto's channel too. A lot of us are pretty sensitive to this stuff now and I'd like to know why he chose to stick what is commonly known as a 'wink wink nod nod' to racists fanatics in his block building game.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

One of the mods I added makes the End Dragon harder and it has caged up some of those health regenerating pylons. I was hoping to just blow some of them up but the things I've tried don't destroy anything. I tried with mobGriefing on and off just to see. I haven't seen if something else is overriding that so perhaps I need to check what a creeper does.

I tried two things so far:
1. The TNT bolt courtesy of Tinkers' Construct. I didn't bust dirt nor iron grates. The bolts did one-shot regular mobs though.
2. The explosive revolver ammunition in Immersive Engineering. It looks like it has a good boom but it didn't effect anything either.

Unless you 100% want to find something that will blow them up then with TiCon already installed you can just use Phasing arrows/bolts to go through the bars for those pylons.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Happy Hedonist posted:

Well drat. The overworld stuff sounds fun, but not in a GT pack. I wonder if it's possible to easily prune the block breaking and pitch black stuff out. Do mobs pillar? It almost sounds like that 1.10 Darkosto pack, the dayz meets minecraft thing he did before SevTech.

Which, I should just start that again. I have never played past the stone age and he's still releasing updates so it should be in relatively good shape. I need to figure out how to cheat through quests because I refuse to do the totemic stuff. The mechanics are terrible and the mod itself is offensive.

BTW does anyone know the story behind the Pepe thing in SF4? I think it's a emoji you can spam in Darkosto's channel too. A lot of us are pretty sensitive to this stuff now and I'd like to know why he chose to stick what is commonly known as a 'wink wink nod nod' to racists fanatics in his block building game.

I occasionally feel like playing Sevtech again, then I remember it still includes Abyssalcraft as a major part of progression and that feeling promptly goes away.

Darkosto streams his mod pack development on Twitch, and while I’m certainly not an expert on Twitch culture it seems like various Pepe emotes get used a lot without the unfortunate connotations there. If I’m wrong someone feel free to correct me. I don’t want to accidentally defend a chud if he is one.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeap you pretty much called it. It was easy to make and charge since I was already tripling ore and could feed it hydrogen. It moved very slowly going forward but raised pretty quickly.

Regarding the bees, I decided to just kind of look this up myself to see what it looked like. Somebody else mentioned flowers being nearby will cause beehives to generate from fresh saplings. The Minecraft Wiki states it's just two blocks. So if the farm is outside, a pesky few flowers just out of reach could generate beehives anywhere on the trees that are popping up.

Yeah just went to take look and there were 4 beehives this time (after clearing 5 out before) and like 6 bees all headbutting a munchdew.
But i'm not giving up free mana generation.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

runchild posted:

I occasionally feel like playing Sevtech again, then I remember it still includes Abyssalcraft as a major part of progression and that feeling promptly goes away.

Darkosto streams his mod pack development on Twitch, and while I’m certainly not an expert on Twitch culture it seems like various Pepe emotes get used a lot without the unfortunate connotations there. If I’m wrong someone feel free to correct me. I don’t want to accidentally defend a chud if he is one.

It may be possible he's legit ignorant I guess? Seems difficult to believe, but I guess it's a possibility. The artist is trying to reclaim his character too, maybe he's part of that campaign. I'm not defending him either. I've seen his stream, but I've never watched it longer than 5 minutes or so.

Oh drat! OmniTech doesn't have Thaumcraft or Bloodmagic? I was about to jump into Interactions despite the goofy overland, but I really dislike Thaumcraft. To the point I will skip packs that include it in the progression. I was doing really well with Enigmatica 2 Expert and then things started requiring Thaumcraft crap, I haven't touched it since. :(

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

runchild posted:

Pepe emotes have lost most of their chud connotations. What you need to worry about now is his clown alter ego.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

McFrugal posted:

Pepe emotes have lost most of their chud connotations. What you need to worry about now is his clown alter ego.

The Pepe image in SF4 was there from the beginning and at that point in time those kinds of images and memes were passed along in 4chan chud circles as a wink and a nod to the cause of inciting violence, specifically civil war here in the US.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

They have also always been used outside those circles as well

Relax unless you find anything else worth worrying about

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Patware posted:

They have also always been used outside those circles as well

Relax unless you find anything else worth worrying about

Not in my experience. Care to share? I’ve honestly only seen it used as a racist meme or in the original comic.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Happy Hedonist posted:

Not in my experience. Care to share? I’ve honestly only seen it used as a racist meme or in the original comic.

It is endemic. poo poo is everywhere. Twitch is inundated with them. So are discord servers that aren't even remotely chud or chud-adjacent. It has long, long since lost its meaning as a right-wing symbol.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It is endemic. poo poo is everywhere. Twitch is inundated with them. So are discord servers that aren't even remotely chud or chud-adjacent. It has long, long since lost its meaning as a right-wing symbol.

Not in Michigan it hasn't. We had people with kekistan flags basically storm our capital in Michigan this summer, so no, it hasn't.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

And it existed BEFORE it was a right wing symbol. And it filtered out into not racist rear end in a top hat circles during. It was the weird mutations like the goyper or whatever that were more valid symbols and even those are critically diffuse now.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I'm not trying to be an argumentative rear end in a top hat, I'm just letting you know it's still used. Look at the pictures from this summer. There is kekistan stuff all over.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

And you're not getting the point that people that have nothing to do with chuds also use it. It doesn't mean anything in a vacuum. For god's sake, :feelsgood: has been on this forum for as long as I can remember.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Patware posted:

And you're not getting the point that people that have nothing to do with it also use it. It doesn't mean anything in a vacuum. For god's sake, :feelsgood: has been on this forum for as long as I can remember.

I got the point, I ain't mad. But, you'll have to excuse me if I'm extra cautious about this poo poo now. I have a mixed family, a black son, and I'm nervous.

So from my perspective it's much easier to wipe that poo poo off your pack than it is to make people like myself wonder.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 19, 2020

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Pepe is like the OK symbol: though co-opted by the alt-right it still has plenty of innocent uses, and it's pretty easy to tell the difference just by context.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 69 days!

Happy Hedonist posted:

I got the point, I ain't mad. But, you'll have to excuse me if I'm extra cautious about this poo poo now. I have a mixed family, a black son, and I'm nervous.

So from my perspective it's much easier to wipe that poo poo off your pack than it is to make people like myself wonder.

To answer your original question I do not believe it has Nazi connotations in this particular context, and I say this as someone who sees Nazis under every bush, including getting very rankled when I see Pepes. As was said, it's everywhere in Twitch and poo poo and just has to run its course.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

croup coughfield posted:

To answer your original question I do not believe it has Nazi connotations in this particular context, and I say this as someone who sees Nazis under every bush, including getting very rankled when I see Pepes. As was said, it's everywhere in Twitch and poo poo and just has to run its course.

Haha Okay at least it's not just me. I sincerely apologize for the derail and I appreciate the clarification.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rynoto posted:

Unless you 100% want to find something that will blow them up then with TiCon already installed you can just use Phasing arrows/bolts to go through the bars for those pylons.

What kind of material would cause the phasing effect? I didn't find it in a cursory search.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What kind of material would cause the phasing effect? I didn't find it in a cursory search.

Had to go take a look but apparently it's a TiCon submod Materialis that adds it in the form of Ghostwood Fletchings. Weirdly thought it was a vanilla one.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Made it to the LV tier in GTNH. While it's nice to finally have some power I need so much freaking copper. And I only have a steam macerator, so processing takes years.

Hoping the LV one is faster cause I think that's my next thing to build.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
LV is SO much faster than steam.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

steam sucks poo poo amd it makes a lot of sense that omnifactory skips it

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
You're definitely not meant to one-of-everything your way through the steam age. Just macerating the materials for the bricked blast furnace is like 4 hours of process time. Macerators use 4 steam/t (one small boiler is 6/t), so it's very easy to run 3 of them in parallel off their own boiler.

LV is literally twice as fast as steam, so yeah! Steam machines are still useful, though, because LV Steam turbines only convert to EU at 85% efficiency, while steam machines are technically 100% efficient. Some machines like the Forge Hammer have no recipes that require a higher tier, and for things like pounding crushed ore into dust it is certainly fast enough. I've had games where I don't replace my Steam Forge Hammer until after I make an HV Macerator.

The general way machine tiers work in GT is each tier doubles speed, and quadruples energy requirements (Steam to LV doubles speed but doesn't change energy costs). Since it's twice as fast this means you end up spending double the energy per tier above the lowest listed recipe tier. An HV Macerator, for example runs 4 times as fast at 32 eu/t for most recipes (and is the first tier with 2 output slots so you get byproducts). Even an LV is great since you can auto-output the products without a hopper.

LV age machines you will want, as far as I can remember: ( I definitely have a post from over a year ago with the same stuff in better detail if you can find it)

Your first 4 machines should be focused on material efficiency:
Bending Machine - Plates at 1:1
Wiremill - One ingot becomes 2 wires
Chemical reactor + Fluid Solidifier: Rubber! 9 dust + 1 sulfur = 9 rubber sheets. This is 1/3 the sulfur and cuts out the 2:1 loss from making sheets in the alloy smelter. You will always run out of rubber. Always.

As soon as you can stomach the cost, an assembling machine makes circuit components cheaper as well as a world of other things (Like chests from 2 logs + 2 planks, cheaper hoppers, etc.)

Oh and my favorite tip: all those mechanic coins you have saved up? Spend them, especially on vacuum tubes. Technically the coins are renewable since the mob kill quests are repeatable and give coins. Just loving buy away the worst parts of making machines once you can. The coins exist to be spent! Don't have 99 elixirs on the final boss!

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
I've made a macerator, lathe, wiremill, bending machine, assembling machine, chemical reactor, polarizer, electrolyzer and centrifuge so far.

Was hoping to electrolyze some of my centrifuged dusts, but apparently the LV one can't do that. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get a decent supply of nickel to get an electronic blast furnace up.

So far I think my only option for nickel is yellow limonite and the occasional iron ore I get out of chalcopyrite veins.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Once you get your first lv circuits and make an assembler, you'll be able to go to the twilight forest, which has more nickel and silver than you'll ever need. you may wanna hold off on the ebf until then. plus you'll need a good amount of power (probably including batteries) to realistically power the ebf unless you're spending an absolute shitload on steam producers and turbines (don't do that)

e- oh i see you have the assembler. yeah, go to the twilight forest.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

RaspberryCommie posted:

I've made a macerator, lathe, wiremill, bending machine, assembling machine, chemical reactor, polarizer, electrolyzer and centrifuge so far.

Was hoping to electrolyze some of my centrifuged dusts, but apparently the LV one can't do that. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get a decent supply of nickel to get an electronic blast furnace up.

So far I think my only option for nickel is yellow limonite and the occasional iron ore I get out of chalcopyrite veins.

Twilight forest is a requirement for the EBF. You need sapphires to make the "Alumino-Silicate Wool" that is a component of the copper coil blocks. Might as well go there for nickel as well.

I second going to the nether for antimony for batteries. Running the EBF requires 120 eu/t (with duct tape, which I think the quest gives you). You can try to set up a giant steam tank with 4 turbines, but it's much easier to just get a pair of 4 slot battery buffers hooked up to the energy hatches and charge them as you can.

It's a major step to have the kind of power production to run the EBF continually. Personally I loathe steam power so I never expand it past my minimal LV setup. I generally limp along LV by making a ton of batteries and swapping them around to charge while I work on other stuff like farms and structures.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Can the Industrial Foregoing plant gatherer collect flowers? I think the MFR one used to do that just fine but I'm not seeing a plant gatherer touch this field I have running.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

dammit lol i'd forgotten about the initial GT blast furnace in New Horizons

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Can you play GTNH in peaceful mode?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Can you play GTNH in peaceful mode?

Nothing's stopping you from turning Peaceful on, but killing Twilight Forest bosses is required for progression, which means you will have to fight things.

I'd suggest adjusting the Infernal Mobs and Special Mobs configs since there are some really annoying things in both.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

dammit lol i'd forgotten about the initial GT blast furnace in New Horizons

I really, really hate quests that expect you to get all the base ingredients so you can "check in" before you actually craft any of them. Thankfully JEI makes it pretty easy to just cheat some back in and throw them back out, but what a pain that if you're making a machine whose components and parts take a total of 200 copper ingots, it wants you to put all those ingots in your inventory at once, before you do anything else.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
A friend of mine is just getting into the game and looking for a new home after the server they used to frequent shut down, so I'm looking for mods that:

- add a ton of new passive mobs to the game (basically a modern successor to Mo' Creatures)
- made cooking more complex, particularly in terms of expanding farming and/or hunting for rare ingredients
- are compatible with 1.16 and multiplayer

If there's a single mod that combines the "more animals" and "cooking/farming is more complex" that would be amazing, but not necessary.

Does anyone know of something like this?

I checked the OP first but the mod version tracker and resources there haven't been updated since 1.9.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Can the Industrial Foregoing plant gatherer collect flowers? I think the MFR one used to do that just fine but I'm not seeing a plant gatherer touch this field I have running.

I've decided the Industrial Foregoing one can't do it. I'm starting to try other things and finding a surprising amount of disappointment. Cyclic has a harvester that doesn't work on grass or flowers. EnderIO has the farming station that does harvest flowers but leaves the grass behind. This means grass eventually takes over. My last option would be garden cloches with each time of flower. Before that, I at least have an RFTools builder set to clear out the farm path, but I fear it might nuke the sprinklers and pipes while it's at it. I could also do something using either pistons or water buckets but then I have to do a bit of world logic.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've decided the Industrial Foregoing one can't do it. I'm starting to try other things and finding a surprising amount of disappointment. Cyclic has a harvester that doesn't work on grass or flowers. EnderIO has the farming station that does harvest flowers but leaves the grass behind. This means grass eventually takes over. My last option would be garden cloches with each time of flower. Before that, I at least have an RFTools builder set to clear out the farm path, but I fear it might nuke the sprinklers and pipes while it's at it. I could also do something using either pistons or water buckets but then I have to do a bit of world logic.
Just do it the vanilla way. Flood to harvest. I usually bonemeal to grow when I do this, but that assumes you have a bonemeal supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Khorne posted:

Just do it the vanilla way. Flood to harvest. I usually bonemeal to grow when I do this, but that assumes you have a bonemeal supply.

Too late! I was reporting back after using the RFTools builder. That thing rips through a prairie! I had to put it on a timer to rein it in a little bit. I don't know how the builder does with quarrying, but it took out about 80 blocks with of random grassy bits instantaneously if I used a lever. It also, uh took out the torches, sprinklers, and fluid ducts too. So I had been doing some shenanigans to put the sprinklers a block into the ground. That surprisingly worked. What surprisingly didn't work was putting them overhead three blocks above. I suspended some light blocks so I thought I might be able to do it there.

I suppose I should hold my judgment until I measure how much power it's eating to do all this. On the other hand, it's very quickly pulling up some of those oddball plants I had forgotten about. What's oddly missing are blue flowers. I have a lifetime supply of dandelions though. I'm guessing it's biome shenanigans.